Craft it yourself.

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

Craft it yourself.

Postby scullion » July 25th, 2017, 11:48 am

New series on channel 4 at 8pm tonight, for those who are interested in making stuff.
scullion
Registered

Re: Craft it yourself.

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 25th, 2017, 12:19 pm

I was going to bring this to Hope's attention, but I don't think she watches tv does she ?

I will be paying close attention, getting some brilliant ideas, then promptly forgetting all about them ;) :lol:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Hope » July 25th, 2017, 5:55 pm

Thanks Pat. I saw this mentioned somewhere else and will watch it on catch-up tomorrow or later in the week. I only really watch channel 4 and BBC iplayer.
Hope
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 25th, 2017, 6:07 pm

I will catch up the with this as I am in the mood for Dog Rescuers tonight on the other side.
Happy Halloween......whoo
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 25th, 2017, 8:21 pm

Hmmm
Trouble was, having watched it, I knew no more about making a mortise and tenon joint than previously, I still need a man with a bun to do it for me

The idea that style was in any way Cuban was an odd one, not much like Havana, and hadn't one of the remaining chairs been re-upholstered on the QT?
Come home Kirsty, all is forgiven!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 25th, 2017, 9:23 pm

I shall catch up with interest ... this evening I have been manoeuvring a headboard for my spare bed up the stairs, then moving the bed after I had screwed in the appropriate struts and lowering it into place before shoving the bed back ... phew ! I needed the remaining wine left over from lunch on Sunday ... trouble is it's gone straight to my head (I'm such a cheap date ! ;) )
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Hope » July 26th, 2017, 10:08 am

Well I quite enjoyed it. But I agree with Sue about the mortice and tenon joint (If I was going to do that, I'd watch youtube, which is how I learn everything!!)

But why was everything so expensive? Or am I just too used to making stuff out of things I've rescued from skips or bought from charity shops?! Why on earth would anyone buy wood when you can get it for free out of a skip?!

I quite like the plates, though But we have loads of plates. And I still prefer my pallet bench, which was entirely made from resuced items (and some linseed oil I already had!)
Hope
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 26th, 2017, 10:23 am

They did use oak for the bench I think, so if you want a specific wood you need to buy it, you can't rely on finding it in a skip, and they wanted to compare it with the sort of thing you might buy on Made.com
Having said which Clem kept telling us that things would cost hundreds, but benches on Made run about £175, e.g. this rather nice one
http://www.made.com/aaron-outdoor-dining-bench-acacia

I think it was the design concept that annoyed me, no overall design produced, and while I liked the tiles, very much not Cuban IMO. The knife was interesting
They do green woodworking classes over the road, very popular
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Hope » July 26th, 2017, 10:46 am

If it's oak, it's very knotty. Looked like pine.

I did a green woodworking day once. Loved it. Wish I could do more, but it was too much for me, unfortunately.

At the end I was wondering where the homeowner put their fridge and tumbledryer afte the redesign!

(I think that's my problem in my house, I can come up with deigns, make stuff, but then practical things get in the way!)
Hope
Registered

Postby scullion » July 26th, 2017, 11:07 am

I thought it looked like pine, too. Not sure I would've given it house room after they'd shabby'd up the timber.
I, too, wondered where the kitchen overflow would go.
They didn't point out that the porcelain paints needed curing in an oven before they became permanent either - and how much did those cupcakes cost?!
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 27th, 2017, 6:38 pm

Hmmm ... not that impressed :td: How did the guy work out how many (unfired) tiles he would need for that fireplace :?: Once fired they will have shrunk by about 10% (Scully can confirm ;) ) and how did the girl (Clem ?) who made the knife get that hole down the middle of the handle :?: - did I miss something ?

And Clem; that knot was a clove hitch ... as any good girl guide would know ;)

tbh there wasn't much on that programme to inspire me :( Perhaps those leaf pictures, but again I seem to have missed where the glass came from/was made ??? I must pay more attention and not try to multi task ;) :oops:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 27th, 2017, 7:08 pm

This is the inside of an actual Cuban house
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 27th, 2017, 7:44 pm

More shabby than chic then ... and I wanted to throttle Clem for the number of times she said something was 'on trend' ... so what happens when it's 'off trend' after all the hard work someone has gone to ? :rolleyes: :lol:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 29th, 2017, 7:49 am

I've not watched the programme yet ........ you're not persuading me :rolleyes:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 29th, 2017, 7:58 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:... so what happens when it's 'off trend' after all the hard work someone has gone to ? :rolleyes: :lol:

It will create a new TV programme where newcomers are told that they will 'need to gut' a serviceable room before they can possibly live in it ;) .

I agree Suffs - but maybe will have to watch one just to see 8-)
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Hope » July 29th, 2017, 8:46 am

"on trend" argggghhh. I hate that phrase. But I suppose "Trendy" is no longer a trendy/on trend word. So what. Have your own style. I don't give a .... what other people like, I just like what I like. (BTW - not ranty at you, but with the whole concept of "on trend".)

I'll still watch the programme as I'll watch anything about crafting, although I'd rather watch Fill your house for free.
Hope
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 29th, 2017, 9:21 am

Hope wrote:I'll still watch the programme as I'll watch anything about crafting, although I'd rather watch Fill your house for free.

Me too and also Money for Nothing when I can skip the stuff that is just filling ;) :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Hope » July 29th, 2017, 9:33 am

:tu: Agreed!
Hope
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 29th, 2017, 1:53 pm

Hope wrote:"on trend" argggghhh. I hate that phrase. But I suppose "Trendy" is no longer a trendy/on trend word. So what. Have your own style. I don't give a .... what other people like, I just like what I like. (BTW - not ranty at you, but with the whole concept of "on trend".)...

Precisely ... who wants to be 'on trend' ... it means you're following others and have no style of your own ... I hope that I'm way ahead of any trend. :rolleyes:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 29th, 2017, 2:18 pm

I decided to watch this whilst having my lunch today. I thought it was an interesting mix. I'm not sure I am keen on the idea that everyone can produce primitive art for their home when some techniques are best learned over a number of years but some of the results were better than I had imagined, some considerably worse.

The thing that shocked me were the prices paid for the raw materials. as Hope already mentioned, I can't imagine paying such sums for those results. I liked the glass frames but I think they said they were £15 each so it wasn't very cheap art.

I would have quite like the room as it was once the junk had been removed. :oops:. It would have provided a nice base to display one's own things.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » July 29th, 2017, 7:10 pm

I have watched the first episode, didn't find it very inspiring. I think New Yankee Workshop is more interesting.
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Return to TV and Radio