bromans

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

bromans

Postby scullion » September 15th, 2017, 9:54 am

we watched this last night after hearing about it on the radio yesterday morning.
if you want to see a bunch of young people taking themselves a little too seriously (while the presenters are mildly taking the p out of themselves), competing in gladiator (the tv programme) type games, priding themselves in looks and physique and coming across as not the brightest examples of the human race then it's on itv2, thursdays at 9pm.
i doubt they've been on a vegetarian/vegan diet - as the ancient roman gladiators were.
scullion
Registered

Re: bromans

Postby dennispc » September 17th, 2017, 7:53 am

scullion wrote:i doubt they've been on a vegetarian/vegan diet - as the ancient roman gladiators were.

Tell me more please scullion, I've never come across that before. Nothing to do with the programme but my vegan friend will be interested. Thanks.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby scullion » September 18th, 2017, 9:15 am

there are quite a few more lightweight articles on the web but this is the published paper of bone analysis, from the university of vienna, that those articles have been a précis of.
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0110489
scullion
Registered

Postby dennispc » September 19th, 2017, 8:02 am

Thank you scullion, as you can imagine a lot of it was beyond me but I got the general drift, though now I'm wondering why. Was it for health reasons? There are plenty of modern day examples of top athletes being vegetarian or vegan, some claiming better performances. Or was it because meat was more expensive and they didn't want to spend too much on people who weren't going to live too long?
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 19th, 2017, 8:11 am

I wondered that ... Mr Google found this which says that the diet produced layers of fat which protected against some injuries

http://archive.archaeology.org/0811/abs ... iator.html

"... The vegetarian diet had nothing to do with poverty or animal rights. Gladiators, it seems, were fat. Consuming a lot of simple carbohydrates, such as barley, and legumes, like beans, was designed for survival in the arena. Packing in the carbs also packed on the pounds. "Gladiators needed subcutaneous fat," Grossschmidt explains. "A fat cushion protects you from cut wounds and shields nerves and blood vessels in a fight." Not only would a lean gladiator have been dead meat, he would have made for a bad show. Surface wounds "look more spectacular," says Grossschmidt. "If I get wounded but just in the fatty layer, I can fight on," he adds. "It doesn't hurt much, and it looks great for the spectators...."
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » September 19th, 2017, 8:46 am

Exactly, vegetarians aren't all skinny (or fit), pizza and cake are vegetarian.
I don't think gladiators were skimped on, some archaeological finds have shown that their medical care, especially with bone repair, was exceptionally good.
scullion
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 25th, 2017, 7:01 pm

They loved it on Gogglebox! :lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Return to TV and Radio