Do you remember Radio 1 ?

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

Do you remember Radio 1 ?

Postby Zosherooney » September 29th, 2017, 6:20 am

A day/week of celebration of Radio 1........ Can you remember Flowers In The Rain, the first song played on Radio 1. Where were you? Does it bring any memories back ?

I remember being excited about it and feeling very grown up listening to it at 10 years old ! We still listen to Tony Blackburn but on iplayer with our tea on a saturday morning.
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: Do you remember Radio 1 ?

Postby suffolk » September 29th, 2017, 6:25 am

I listened to the pirates ... I'd have rather died than listen to Radio 1 back then :shock:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » September 29th, 2017, 6:40 am

I listened to Caaroline too but Radio 1 was new and exciting !!!!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 29th, 2017, 8:14 am

Traitor!!! :shock: :rolleyes: :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 29th, 2017, 8:22 am

Was Radio 1 where you could hear the top 20 singles (on a Sunday, I think)?

If so then yes but that is about the extent of it when I was in my early teens.

After that era I found the DJ's irritating, and a bit like Heart FM, the playing of the same songs over and over and over....

I preferred Capital, especially when Johnny Vaughan presented, now it would be Three Counties and Five Live.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » September 29th, 2017, 8:34 am

Zosherooney wrote:A day/week of celebration of Radio 1........ Can you remember Flowers In The Rain, the first song played on Radio 1. Where were you? Does it bring any memories back ?

I remember being excited about it and feeling very grown up listening to it at 10 years old ! We still listen to Tony Blackburn but on iplayer with our tea on a saturday morning.

You and I are a very similar age, there's about 3 days in it. I remember the BBC stations changing and I love The Move to this day, but didn't really start listening to Radio One until I was a little bit older.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 29th, 2017, 8:51 am

We were in the Bahamas at that time and the only thing we got, apart from the appaling local and miami stations was the Worl Service on short wave radio.

I don't think I ever listened to Radio 1 but the kids did. These days it is Radios 3 and 4 and still the World Service. The only time I listen to French radio is in the car.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » September 29th, 2017, 8:55 am

Radio 4, 5 & Sports Extra for me, with occasional Planet Rock.

The radio in the kitchen mysteriously retunes to Radio 2 whenever I go out... :o
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 29th, 2017, 9:00 am

I forgot about 5live - but only when there is a match on!
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 29th, 2017, 9:32 am

I was a Caroline girl too. Didn't listen to radio one at first and I must say I certainly don't listen to it now it is rubbish
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 29th, 2017, 10:27 am

I love Radio 4 Extra, especially in the car. There's been a wonderful, ancient adaptation of Cold Comfort Farm serialised on there this week, really worth catching on iPlayer if you can get it. Patricia Gallimore (Pat Archer) plays Flora Post. Doesn't sound ANYTHING like her. :o :o

Have never knowingly listened to Radio 1.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 29th, 2017, 3:07 pm

I remember the first day of Radio 1 and also listened to Radio Caroline and I still love Johnny Walker's Sounds of the 70's :tu: I mainly listen to radio 4 in the mornings now as I like Woman's hour and then You and Yours. I have just retuned my DAB radio to include Radio 4 Extra as I keep forgetting about that channel ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » September 29th, 2017, 4:24 pm

only to listen to the charts on a sunday. the rest of the time (when the radio wasn't tuned to radio 4 and i was doing my homework in the kitchen/morning room) it was radio luxembourg for 'pop' music.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 29th, 2017, 5:22 pm

Did you hear that Ident Signal from Radio Moscow over the top of Radio Luxembourg in the evening? Da da di-da da di-da dum ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 29th, 2017, 7:41 pm

suffolk wrote:I listened to the pirates ... I'd have rather died than listen to Radio 1 back then :shock:

Same here ... I joined Johnnie Walker's Jelly Tots Club where we swore never to switch from Caroline to the BBC. Went to Australia for a couple of years and when I came back he was on the BBC :o :o .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 30th, 2017, 7:36 pm

earthmaiden
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » September 30th, 2017, 9:26 pm

I have never enjoyed Radio 1.
I was brought up on Radio 4 - in fact I was born on the same day as the Today Programme so we both have our diamond jubilee in a few weeks.
These days it is Radio 4 during the day at work (I am fortunate to have my own office) and Radio 2 on the drive home, with the occasional blast of Classic FM.
But the adverts do my head in.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » October 5th, 2017, 10:35 am

Flowers in the rain takes me back to my primary school days. A boy called Colin went to America for a holiday and brought his favourite girls back hippy bells on silken ribbons. We all wore them and thought we were so cool! I had two older sisters so was well up on all the pop tunes of the day. My eldest sister (10 years older) worked in London and was a friend of Cliff Richards' secretary. She used to get all the demo records well before they were released - and we used to get a Christmas card every year from him - he never knew that he sent it I'm sure! I like many used to record the top 20 on a Sunday night and would be really cross when the DJ talked over the opening. The signal for Radio Caroline was so poor that I couldn't listen to it.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 5th, 2017, 10:55 am

suffolk wrote:I listened to the pirates ... I'd have rather died than listen to Radio 1 back then :shock:

You were in the east and probably got a signal from the North Sea

We could sometimes get Caroline but mainly the choice was Radio 1 during the day and Luxembourg at night

The wireless in the dining room (puzzled me for years that it was called a wireless when it plugged into the wall with rather a thick cable :?) veered between the Home Service and the Light Programme before the relaunch, and stayed on 2 and 4 after

My little tranny picked up Radio 1 and little else, there was some good stuff on, not just Peel who everyone thinks of as the non-bubblegum DJ but also Mike Raven and others who gave us a musical education.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 5th, 2017, 11:00 am

StokeySue wrote:

You were in the east and probably got a signal from the North Sea ...

We got a brilliant signal from Radios Caroline and London, and in the early days (before the authorities got heavy) the DJs and their supply boats went out of Felixstowe/Harwich and occasionally the ships themselves could be seen from Felixstowe beach ... they felt like local lads, even if some of them had trans-atlantic twangs to their voices.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 5th, 2017, 6:00 pm

I got Radio London and Radio Caroline on my 'tranny' (how meanings change!) under my pillow at boarding school in Surrey just as well as I did at home on the Norfolk coast.
earthmaiden
Registered

Return to TV and Radio