Gunpowder

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

Gunpowder

Postby Ratatouille » October 23rd, 2017, 12:06 pm

Has anyone seen it.? We recorded it and tried to watch last night but I had to leave. The little I saw was enough to keep me awake for too long last night. Never again :terrified: :terrified:
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Re: Gunpowder

Postby StokeySue » October 23rd, 2017, 1:22 pm

I didn't even get as far as the violence
Yet another "authentic" historical drama with inappropriate lighting (even a wealthy woman wouldn't have had a year's supply of expensive wax candles going full blast on a sunny morning, and candlelight doesn't put a sepia filter on everything), and they kept muttering and hissing but I'm sure in the early seventeenth century people's larynxes worked just as well as they do now, they weren't confined to alternating between sotto voce and declaiming like an amateur Shakespeare production

Someone on Twitter said Kit Harrington is the ancestor of Catesby, whom he plays
My retort was in that case his other car's a Tardis :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 23rd, 2017, 1:49 pm

StokeySue wrote:Someone on Twitter said Kit Harrington is the ancestor of Catesby, whom he plays
My retort was in that case his other car's a Tardis

:rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 23rd, 2017, 1:51 pm

:? Even if I had intended watching it I won't now - it sounds like a combination of everything I dislike in viewing!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 23rd, 2017, 3:03 pm

Lots of complaints on my FB feed this morning.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 23rd, 2017, 3:27 pm

There was quite a long interview with the writer Ronan Bennett on R4 at lunchtime ... he did his best to justify his treatment of the subject but he's not persuaded me ... I've recorded it but not watched it yet ... I may not.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby KC2 » October 24th, 2017, 12:29 pm

earthmaiden wrote::? Even if I had intended watching it I won't now - it sounds like a combination of everything I dislike in viewing!

I think we're with you here, earthmaiden!
KC2
Registered

Postby Mamta » October 25th, 2017, 2:43 pm

When I saw the heading of this thread, I thought of Gun Powder that south Indians make as a spice mix, it being a foodie place :lol: !
Mamta
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 27th, 2017, 1:34 pm

I missed this and have no way of recording but judging by reviews (not just here) I don't feel as if I have missed out. Shame. An interesting subject. So if this could have been portrayed better then the younger generations could have benefited. :td:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cooksalot » October 27th, 2017, 5:55 pm

I thought it was pretty good and conveyed the horror, terror and fanaticism of those times. History has many lessons to teach us...
cooksalot
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 28th, 2017, 8:28 am

I found myself watching Gogglebox last night ... not something I have done before, but then realised that the participants were watching this programme .. :o :shock: We were shown several scenes from Gunpowder, together with the participants reactions ... One of them commented he thought it was a history programme and expected to see fireworks (quite literally) .. but I saw enough to know that I wouldn't have enjoyed it even though I realise it was probably quite accurately based on reality of the time .. Too gruesome for me ! :( :cry:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 28th, 2017, 9:23 am

cooksalot wrote:I thought it was pretty good and conveyed the horror, terror and fanaticism of those times. History has many lessons to teach us...

It does indeed but it is not always necessary to show things in such graphic detail to make a point. I think it was beacause know it really did happen unlike the violence in say, Game of Thrones which is so obviously fantasy - not that I can watch some scenes in the latter either although, belatedly I am being gripped by the story.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 28th, 2017, 9:23 pm

My Dad has been raving on about this, and this evening I managed to catch the whole episode. I did have to put subtitles on so that I could work out when an actor was mumbling in old English or Latin and it worked. I am going to swat up on this subject before next episode. I was taught the very basics of the plot as a kid but haven't really thought about it since. I thought the acting was good enough, the costumes, settings and horses were stunning and I was glued to the screen throughout and that doesn't happen to me very often.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cooksalot » October 29th, 2017, 5:43 pm

Ratatouille wrote:
cooksalot wrote:I thought it was pretty good and conveyed the horror, terror and fanaticism of those times. History has many lessons to teach us...

It does indeed but it is not always necessary to show things in such graphic detail to make a point. I think it was beacause know it really did happen unlike the violence in say, Game of Thrones which is so obviously fantasy - not that I can watch some scenes in the latter either although, belatedly I am being gripped by the story.

I love Game of Thrones too and have read all the Song of Ice and Fire books. Apparently George RR Martin was inspired to write this epic by the Wars of the Roses. Agree about some of the scenes, sometimes you have to look away...
cooksalot
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 30th, 2017, 9:49 am

It took Mr R and DS several years to persuade me to watch it. Mr R had to do me family treees for each family and a detailed map! I have a genuine problem with recognising faces so, at the beginning I could only recognise the blondies and Tyrion :lol: :lol: Doesn't help when practically all the men have beards!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 30th, 2017, 9:51 am

Ratatouille wrote:It took Mr R and DS several years to persuade me to watch it. Mr R had to do me family treees for each family and a detailed map! I have a genuine problem with recognising faces so, at the beginning I could only recognise the blondies and Tyrion :lol: :lol: Doesn't help when practically all the men have beards!

Do you watch 'Strictly' Rats ? If so then I presume you would have recognised the characters Kevin and Susan portrayed on Saturday ? I didn't have a clue :aww: :lol:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 30th, 2017, 1:14 pm

Oh yes pat and was highly amused to read that the "real" Queen of Dragons" had sent a good luck message. What Susan lacks in elegance she makes up with sheer joy, but I was expecting her to be in the dance off last night!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 31st, 2017, 10:55 am

I love watching her dance - as you say with sheer joy and such energy - she keeps time and does every step and I watch her thinking there's hope for me ;) She had been under my radar though and didn't realise she had a show on Radio 4 yesterday morning .. :aww: :oops:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » November 5th, 2017, 2:45 am

had a binge on all three episodes tonight - hence late to bed. i thought it was actually very good. i thought it depicted the religious fanaticism/persecution of the times very well.
the gore wasn't as bad as i'd been led to believe (on here). it could have been far worse if they'd shown the true extent of the torture that was carried out in the name of religion.
apart from the number of candles - if they'd had the historical correct amount you possibly wouldn't have been able to see what was going on in the programme, there was another anachronism that i noticed. the shoes - they were made on lasts for both feet. even the young queen victoria's shoes were still being made on the one last for both feet.
scullion
Registered

Return to TV and Radio