Masterchef The Professionals

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

Re: Masterchef The Professionals

Postby Ratatouille » December 1st, 2017, 3:37 pm

And a very nice beard!
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby KC2 » December 1st, 2017, 5:09 pm

Is he the one based in the Lake District? Or was that another private chef from one of the other heats. And his name is Matt, I think.

Yes, we were sorry to see Tasso go, and I think Monica and Marcus were as well. They had been awfully nice to him in the earlier rounds and you got the feeling they wanted to nurture and encourage a young chef with a lot of promise - but they really had no option but to send him home, sadly. Not checking the freezer door ...
KC2
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 1st, 2017, 7:53 pm

Matt really did shine, so did his teeth! Has anyone heard of smoking food over dung before??? I certainly haven't. I think he was the only chef who made zero mistakes (wasn't he?) and didn't break out in a sweat once.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 3rd, 2017, 10:18 pm

Just catching up on this on i-player, I was sorry to see Tasso go after such a "stoatin" first round but it just went to bits for him. Felt really sorry for John who going by the circles under his eyes has just pushed himself too far. Was really impressed by Matt hope he can keep it up and not have a wobble in later stages.
liketocook
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 3rd, 2017, 10:29 pm

I was rooting for Tasso. Needs a few years of experience under his belt I think but this must have given him a good confidence boost.

John did look tired and a bit overwhelmed by it all. He did the 3-D tree orange blossom pana cotta didn't he? Apart from the over use of gelatine, about which I am sure he is still kicking himself, I loved it! Shame it fell a bit flat for him.

It is easy to predict Matt as over all winner but is is too obvious at this stage? If he comes up against equally good performances in future tests we could be in for a real treat and battle on our hands. Whoohoo!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 5th, 2017, 1:23 pm

Great excitement in Cyprus, the Cypriot chef Leonidas has reached the knockout stage
http://cyprus-mail.com/2017/12/05/cypri ... hef-final/

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » December 5th, 2017, 8:07 pm

Not sure I would put ratatouille with gurnard, langoustine ravioli and shellfish sauce.
Not sure I would order it either.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » December 5th, 2017, 8:31 pm

And it looks lovely :lol:
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 7th, 2017, 10:43 pm

I continue to be blown away by Matt, especially his bravery this evening using vegan products such as almond milk to produce a stunning dish that could have, I thought, fooled any non vegan. There is something about him that makes me think he expects to win and seemed to be quite bossy in the team challenge without doing much of the plating himself, more directing the whole operation on the starter, but then that shows promising leadership skills where he has currently been used to working as a private chef under his own steam presumably?

The young lad was most certainly the star of the show though. I could have sunk my gums straight into that passionfruit and lemon parfait with white chocolate crumble. It was a picture on a plate. A very adept young man.

I thought Leo would be off home tonight.

Really looking forward to next week now. One of the only programmes on TV right now that has me hanging on the edge of my seat by my buttocks for a whole hour. It's like a posterior work out. :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 8th, 2017, 9:40 am

I thought Matts vegan dessert was very daring but quite honestly I don't think I would have eaten it - Jerusalem artichokes do dreadful things to my digestive system :sprout: However his courage was rewarded.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » December 8th, 2017, 2:14 pm

The vegan dessert was very clever, but I thought it looked really ‘gooey’ inside, and not in a good way. I think any other layered dessert like that would have been criticised for not having separate layers.
Think Tuesdays food overall looked much more appetising than last nights.
Really enjoying this series......
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 12th, 2017, 10:53 am

The Cyprus Sunday Mail has a weekly list of good/ bad events affecting Cyprus. Leo topped the good list this week
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby KC2 » December 12th, 2017, 4:27 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:The Cyprus Sunday Mail has a weekly list of good/ bad events affecting Cyprus. Leo topped the good list this week

:D :D
KC2
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 12th, 2017, 11:26 pm

The top two (three) and the bottom two were clear from the off tonight. I am trying not to be swayed by Matt but it's hard not to be. I love Steven's personality, cheeky happy, lovely dimps, lovely giggle, a lot of energy. I was salivating at Craig's flapjack pud. My teeth almost hurt just looking at the sweet elements of oats and dates. I couldn't have eaten the carrot steak dish from Jamie. It looked like it was crawling with grubs! My beetle/bug/cockroach phobia kicked in just looking at it!
I hope in the next rounds we don't have to see any more duck eggs. Yawn, now.
Thoroughly enjoyed tonight's fix all in all. Minus my phobia trigger. :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby KC2 » December 13th, 2017, 10:56 am

I think Matt and Jamie are the two stand-out chefs. That said, the two young ones, Louisa and Craig are amazing! Not sure about Tom - totally agree about Steven. His joy in cooking is so clear to see. I suspect that Matt has that wow factor and the ability to create totally new dishes that will win in the end ... but we'll see!
KC2
Registered

Postby Busybee » December 13th, 2017, 11:44 am

KC2 wrote:I think Matt and Jamie are the two stand-out chefs. That said, the two young ones, Louisa and Craig are amazing! Not sure about Tom - totally agree about Steven. His joy in cooking is so clear to see. I suspect that Matt has that wow factor and the ability to create totally new dishes that will win in the end ... but we'll see!

I agree that Matt creates the Wow dishes, but I find myself not wanting to eat them.........whilst the creative take on fish and chips had me salivating. Likewise, I wasn’t keen on how Matt bossed the other chefs around in an earlier round, but understand that part of being a top chef is taking command. I guess what I am saying in a roundabout way is that Matt invokes conflicting emotions in me!

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 13th, 2017, 4:14 pm

I've a feeling that with the right mentor Steven could learn to do all the stuff that Matt does .............. whether any of the others could somehow acquire the innate nurturing joy that food brings out in Steven I'm not so sure ......... I'd love to eat his food and watch him smile as I did so :luv:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 13th, 2017, 9:00 pm

What????

I need an hour of Bancroft before I comment further....

PS.. Hungry now!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Busybee » December 13th, 2017, 9:48 pm

Sorry but the correct person went home, he didn’t nail his dishes and the other two did.

I thought that Matts dish would have looked better on a plain white plate as his food tendered to merge into each other and the colour of the plate made this worse.

I’m sure that he will go onto do great things, this exposure will ensure he gets a place at a top flight restaurant.

I have been busy googling Raby Hunt...........it’s not too far from us in North Yorkshire but looks very expensive.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 13th, 2017, 11:28 pm

I was making notes about this round and judging from what I wrote, agree with you BB. The judges, and who am I to disagree, did make the right choice.

My notes on that final two dish test were:-

Jamie - pork with beautiful purple potato mash, sherry sauce, curd with meringues, both plates looked stunning
Steven - chicken with many ways with sweetcorn, strawberries and cream (trypophobia alert on the strawbs!) I did salivate though
Matt - grouse, chocolate mousse

There was nothing more to be said about Matt really. It was all pretty plain and quite uninteresting.

Looking forward, again, to the next bit.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 14th, 2017, 8:34 am

Matt peaked too soon ... he had no more rabbits to pull out of the bag and didn't show any learning from the stint in the professional kitchen and just kept on doing his own thing.
The other two kept on learning and went past him ... Steven's food looks as if it has amazing 'mouth-feel' as well as being exceptionally beautiful, and makes me hungry just looking at it ... I would really love to eat his food :drool:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 14th, 2017, 9:59 am

I knew from the moment Matt started listing his ingredients he was the most likely to be heading for the door. It seemed that the last rabbit in the hat was simply to use as many obscure ingredients as he could assemble. he will make a great chef one day as soon as he gets his extensive knowledge and imagination in co-ordination.

Stevens food did indeed look wonderful.

Mr R was questioning the overall judging though. How did they select the two groups? What if tonight no-one reaches the same heights?
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 14th, 2017, 10:19 am

Yes, the two groups seemed unbalanced to me ... we shall see ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 14th, 2017, 9:03 pm

Wow, are we in for a treat next week? Four absolutely amazing chefs with keen ambition. Tom had to go. He presented some beautiful food but didn't seem to have the 'voom' of Louisa and Craig. Thoroughly enjoyed that!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 14th, 2017, 10:35 pm

suffolk wrote:Yes, the two groups seemed unbalanced to me ... we shall see ...

I think, if the six had cooked together, we would be seeing a different line-up for the final. Matt would have beaten Louisa, I think.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Ratatouille » December 15th, 2017, 1:35 pm

Me too Suelle. though I think Louisa has made more progress, is a quick learner and quite honestly rather more willing to learn. She made a real impression at le Manoir.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 15th, 2017, 3:27 pm

I was impressed by the head chef at Le Manoir, he was obviously happy to teach others, also the food although beautiful was not too tricksy. The menu at the Raby Hunt was real showing off cooking
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby KC2 » December 15th, 2017, 5:26 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:I was impressed by the head chef at Le Manoir, he was obviously happy to teach others, also the food although beautiful was not too tricksy. The menu at the Raby Hunt was real showing off cooking

Yes, I agree with you Moira. I think that the two sets of contestants' experiences were poles apart, but it seemed to me that it was very appropriate for the two youngest contestants to get the chance to learn from such a dedicated and good teacher and that's possibly why the groups were divided up the way they were. Not to say more experienced chefs wouldn't also have had a fantastic learning experience but somehow it just seemed the right thing for Louisa and Craig. And they both did really well.
KC2
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 15th, 2017, 7:45 pm

:tu:
Ratatouille
Registered

Previous

Return to TV and Radio