Nigella - At my table

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

Nigella - At my table

Postby KC2 » November 4th, 2017, 3:05 pm

Hi there, hope you're having a good w/e, despite the rain (well, rain here in London)!

What did you all think of it? I'm generally not a massive fan of Nigella's TV series but we watched the first programme of At my Table and OH recreated her chicken traybake with peas and leeks last night, and it was delicious. The only disappointment was that the chicken skin didn't really crisp up, but the pea/leek/dill combo was excellent.

For those of you who didn't see it, it was incredibly simple: a packet of frozen petits pois, sliced leeks (we did one for two of us), crushed garlic, dill, sea salt, all mixed up well, then sit your chicken thighs on top, sprinkle with sea salt and some olive oil. She also poured some Dry Vermouth over the peas and leeks - we used some open white wine. Garnish with more dill to serve. I think that was it! Someone please correct me if I've left anything out!
We gave ours more than an hour - I think she said an hour and a quarter for her tray with about 8 thighs. She didn't say what temperature, we did 160 degrees on a fan oven, which is 180 equivalent. Maybe we should have done them a bit hotter to get crispy skin. She said that the steam coming off the frozen peas would crisp it up.

This was a pic of it on the web, but the recipe itself isn't around: https://www.nigella.com/assets/uploads/ ... 53768c.jpg
KC2
Registered

Re: Nigella - At my table

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 4th, 2017, 4:19 pm

I watched this today and couldn't tear myself away! I always watch Nigella when she is on, went through a period where she irritated me a tad a few years ago, but today I realised what I like about her shows. I think she has a perfect way with the camera, her use of the English language is adorable, and not only does she show new and traditional recipes, but she also elaborates on ingredients that you may never have heard on and substitutes if you can't get hold of them.
I think you have described the pea and chicken bake spot on. I think I read on here somewhere (cookery show fatigue?) a remark about it that made me think, here we go! But I think it looked quite nice. I also like her delicate table settings. Looking forward to the next one.
Oh, I also thought her dress was gorgeous!
Christmas is upon us - yippee!
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 4th, 2017, 4:23 pm

Tezza ... I think you could use that tray bake as a basis of a dish for your chicken fillets ... just instead of letting them brown, cover the dish with foil so the breast fillets cook in the steam. With some sprinkled fresh herbs and lemon zest it would be delicious :chops:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 4th, 2017, 4:44 pm

The recipe is here KC2. Took a bit of finding.

http://contentviewer.adobe.com/s/Waitro ... tml#page_1
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 4th, 2017, 4:45 pm

It was the Turkish eggs that interested me
I'm not sure if I fancy the richness of the dairy with the egg yoke or not...
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 4th, 2017, 5:34 pm

Loved Ozzie Osborne's confusion on Gogglebox last night ... "turkey eggs?" :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 4th, 2017, 8:34 pm

suffolk wrote:Tezza ... I think you could use that tray bake as a basis of a dish for your chicken fillets ... just instead of letting them brown, cover the dish with foil so the breast fillets cook in the steam. With some sprinkled fresh herbs and lemon zest it would be delicious :chops:

Yes, that would be a good use of my chicken! :tu: And those Turkish eggs looked a bit weird to me too. I am not keen on a big bowl of slop and that is just what it looked lime. I missed the reference on Gogglebox. Love the Osbournes for entertainment value so will seek that out!
Christmas is upon us - yippee!
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Amber » November 4th, 2017, 9:04 pm

We usually do Yotam Ottolenghi’s recipe for Turkish eggs, but have gradually simplified it. The raw garlic in the yoghurt wasn’t very pleasant, so we use garlic bread, or garlic pizza, as the base. Then top with the wilted rocket/spinach, then the poached eggs. Serve with plain yoghurt and the spicy butter sauce. Very quick and very easy. :D

I fancy trying the traybake soon too.
Amber
Registered

Postby KC2 » November 5th, 2017, 4:32 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:The recipe is here KC2. Took a bit of finding.

http://contentviewer.adobe.com/s/Waitro ... tml#page_1

Thanks so much pp - it looks as if our oven was a tad low as she says 200 degrees, so we'll do 180 fan next time. And well done for finding it!
KC2
Registered

Postby KC2 » November 7th, 2017, 3:12 pm

Just to say, OH made it again last night and with the higher oven temp it was super crispy. A great recipe.

We quite enjoyed last night's programme, the icecream cake and the sandwich looked nice and straightforward!
KC2
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 7th, 2017, 4:44 pm

KC2 wrote:sandwich looked nice and straightforward!

Yes, but I never have Parma Ham hanging around my fridge, if I have some it is there for a purpose not midnight snacks

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 7th, 2017, 7:45 pm

I liked the look of the ice cream.

The sandwich .. do you like sandwich with your butter? :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby KC2 » November 9th, 2017, 6:29 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I liked the look of the ice cream.

The sandwich .. do you like sandwich with your butter? :lol:

:D :D :D
KC2
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 14th, 2017, 8:56 am

I have just watched last night's offering. I think she excelled herself ... I longed to eat every last morsel! Lamb, potatoes, prawns, mousse, cake .... it all looked delicious. :chops: :chops: :chops:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 14th, 2017, 9:09 am

earthmaiden wrote: I longed to eat every last morsel! Lamb, potatoes, prawns, mousse, cake

I very often do ... hence my fight with weight loss :( :o :aww: :lol:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 14th, 2017, 9:51 am

I liked the look of those prawns :chops: but not sure about the desiccated coconut ......... :shock:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 14th, 2017, 10:47 am

suffolk wrote:I liked the look of those prawns :chops: but not sure about the desiccated coconut ......... :shock:

Exactly, I was think it would be more dry than crisp. The rice flour is interesting though
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » November 14th, 2017, 12:42 pm

i was salivating over the carrot cake- it didn't help that i was doing a fast day.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 14th, 2017, 12:50 pm

Now that sparks a thought I've had before scully

Nigella in the preamble talks about the original being a rich layer cake
I never came across that version until I'd been eating the tray bake kind for years in places such as Fagin's Kitchen and Cranks, and all the recipes bar one I have, American and British are fro that kind

Which is the standard version in most people's eyes ?

Ginger and walnut carrot cake does sound inspired
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » November 14th, 2017, 1:04 pm

i have the ingredients (although not the cream cheese - but that is easily rectified) and it's not a fast day, today.
i did like the way she did the ginger juice for the icing; i haven't seen that done before.

StokeySue wrote:places such as Fagin's Kitchen and Cranks

happy memories!
scullion
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 14th, 2017, 3:53 pm

suffolk wrote:I liked the look of those prawns :chops: but not sure about the desiccated coconut ......... :shock:

Did you notice that the prawns were cooked without de-veining? the veins were clearly visible. I've noticed before that she doesn't bother.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 14th, 2017, 4:48 pm

I can verify that coconut crumbed deep fried prawns are the food of the gods...........it absolutely works. I had it (on more than one occasion) whilst holidaying in the Southern US states.

:hungry: :hungry:

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby KC2 » November 14th, 2017, 6:33 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I have just watched last night's offering. I think she excelled herself ... I longed to eat every last morsel! Lamb, potatoes, prawns, mousse, cake .... it all looked delicious. :chops: :chops: :chops:

Yes, I agree. That leg of lamb looked magnificent, I can't imagine what it would cost at a good butcher ...

Thanks for the cake link, scully, ginger and walnut definitely a great mix. A propos ginger, I had some delicious "ginger water" at a German friend's once, simply chunks of peeled ginger steeped in boiling water before cooling and drinking. it was gorgeous.

StokeySue wrote:Now that sparks a thought I've had before scully

I've always had the layered version, and when I last made it eons ago, that's what I did. I can't remember what recipe I used but I'd always thought to use Nigel Slater's if I do it again for lots of people (https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... nk.recipes), that was, until I saw Nigella's and that definitely is the way to go now! Can't wait to get a load of walnuts on my next Lidl shop. Haven't got any left atm.

I've never deepfried anything, and delicious as they looked I'm far too wary of deep frying I fear to ever try them.
KC2
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 14th, 2017, 6:48 pm

Busybee wrote:I can verify that coconut crumbed deep fried prawns are the food of the gods...........it absolutely works. I had it (on more than one occasion) whilst holidaying in the Southern US states.

:hungry: :hungry:

BB

But I'm the person on here who thinks desiccated coconut is the food of the devil ............. I've taught myself to eat almost everything else ... have I really got to learn to like DC :terrified:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Suelle » November 14th, 2017, 7:43 pm

StokeySue wrote:Now that sparks a thought I've had before scully

I never came across that version until I'd been eating the tray bake kind for years in places such as Fagin's Kitchen and Cranks, and all the recipes bar one I have, American and British are fro that kind

Ginger and walnut carrot cake does sound inspired

I've never eaten it as a layer cake - just as a tray bake or loaf - and I don't usually use cream cheese frosting either.

Nigella's version with large lumps of ginger looked really good - I've already saved the recipe for sometime in the future, when I need a large cake.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » November 14th, 2017, 8:02 pm

My carrot cakes always have a cream cheese frosting ........ it's the best bit :oops: :lol: :chops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 15th, 2017, 1:59 pm

In an old fashioned cookery book I have a recipe for carrot cake which is what I call a syrup cake which contains carrots and certainly doesn't have icing or anything. It's not bad but nothing like American carrot cake.

I first had the American-style carrot cake when a girl at work circa 1992 used to make them. We had never seen them before and always asked for one for special office occasions. It was a sandwiched cake well filled and covered with a cream cheese frosting but not to the degree that people smother cakes these days (I think the cupcake phenomenon was the start of stupid amounts of icing). We had a sandwiched Costco carrot cake at work the other day and the amount of icing was ridiculous.

I thought Nigella's looked very interesting flavour-wise and I too was interested in how she extracted the ginger juice. With a little less frosting (even if sandwiched) it would be delicious I think.

As for the coconut prawns. They looked wonderful, but I like desiccated coconut. I had fish with a Macadamia crumb coating in Australia and that was sublime. I imagine this as being a similar kind of thing.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 15th, 2017, 3:20 pm

earthmaiden wrote:As for the coconut prawns. They looked wonderful,

How did you feel about leaving the veins in? It's becoming a bit of a "thing" with me.
Gruney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 15th, 2017, 3:28 pm

I find most of the prawns I buy have either been deveined or purged and don't need deveining, only the occasional batch of wild ones
I'd look at them case by case
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 15th, 2017, 7:01 pm

Gruney wrote:How did you feel about leaving the veins in? It's becoming a bit of a "thing" with me.

I would certainly prefer then deveined - I didn't notice it on the programme but hope that they were purged. I would certainly check and act accordingly if I were making them.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 15th, 2017, 7:38 pm

I'm afraid don't know about "purging", but the prawns were thrown in straight from the packaging - and,as I've said, the black veins were clearly visible. Hey ho - each to his/her own, I suppose.
Gruney
Registered

Postby EmWilk » November 16th, 2017, 12:16 am

I only saw the 'veins' on the underside or inside curve of the prawns. I thought the intestinal tract was down the back/outside curve and that the inside 'vein' was somehing to do with the nerves/nervous system and not required to be removed?

All of this week's food looked delicious, I thought.
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 16th, 2017, 8:24 am

Ah - I didn't know that EmWilk. Thanks very much - I can go forward with a lot more confidence now.
Gruney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 16th, 2017, 8:53 am

When you buy whole (in shell) cooked prawns, they are not de-veined and I have no idea how you would do it afterwards :? My family have eaten plain boiled prawns for years without anyone ever giving a thought about the vein down the back ...I suck on the heads and eat the eggs too :chops: :lol:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby EmWilk » November 16th, 2017, 8:54 am

Don't quote me on it gruney but that was my understanding after a few years of 'deveining' the underside of prawns and wondering why deveining instructions always said to slice down the outside curve of them. I looked it up and that's where I got to. If you buy raw king prawns, they often have a slice down that outside curve already which would support this too :tu:
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Luca » November 16th, 2017, 8:03 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:When you buy whole (in shell) cooked prawns, they are not de-veined and I have no idea how you would do it afterwards :? My family have eaten plain boiled prawns for years without anyone ever giving a thought about the vein down the back ...I suck on the heads and eat the eggs too :chops: :lol:

Toothpick scraped gently. I'm not particularly bothered but was hugely disappointed to once be served a starter of headless prawns but tail etc intact. The heads are one of the best part and I love the roe. :drool:
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » November 16th, 2017, 8:39 pm

Luca wrote:The heads are one of the best part and I love the roe.

Same here :drool:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Luca » November 17th, 2017, 3:09 pm

:tu:
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 17th, 2017, 6:00 pm

I have now caught up with this week's programme and have noted the recipe for her carrot cake ... :chops: I have all the ingredients apart from the cream cheese, so that will be rectified this week-end ! :bounce: :chef:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Return to TV and Radio