Howard's End

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

Howard's End

Postby Pepper Pig » November 12th, 2017, 1:09 pm

Starts tonight on BBC1. I only mention it because my BIL and some other friends are in one of the episodes, don't know which. Some of it was filmed up at Harrow School and they asked for local musicians to go as extras. Mick has posted pictures of himself and others in costume playing in a concert in the Speech Room. He is 6 foot 7 and plays the trumpet so I doubt you'll miss him if he hasn't ended up on the cutting room floor. :o :lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Howard's End

Postby suffolk » November 12th, 2017, 1:37 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:He is 6 foot 7 and plays the trumpet

Thank goodness we've got a bigger screen tv nowadays ;)
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 12th, 2017, 4:21 pm

Thanks for the reminder PP
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 12th, 2017, 4:48 pm

I think I spotted Tracey Ullman in one of the trailers......
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 12th, 2017, 5:13 pm

Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » November 12th, 2017, 5:45 pm

a few of those houses are at least five times what they would go for in redruth!
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 12th, 2017, 5:56 pm

My a level book. I know and loved it well...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby KC2 » November 12th, 2017, 6:50 pm

Looking forward to it - will def watch out for a 6'7" trumpeter PP ...
KC2
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 13th, 2017, 7:45 am

He was sitting down so you only spotted him if you knew him. :oops: :oops: The conductor however, Adrian, used to run our education service and was a Headteacher for many years. Also a brilliant tuba player. :tu: :tu:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 13th, 2017, 9:10 am

So what did everyone think about the opening episode last night ? I haven't read the book nor seen any previous productions. Can't say I was that smitten - I spent most of it wondering who everyone was :aww: It was until near the end that an explanation was given as to the circumstances of the 'German' family but I was still left thoroughly confused. It could just be me though ..... ;) :(
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 13th, 2017, 10:17 am

I’m in the same position as you Pat, never read it or seen it before.............if it wasn’t for the next weeks teasers at the end I’m not sure I would be watching.

I found that whilst trying to get to grips with who everyone was I became obsessed with the postal service! Multiple deliveries each day and same day delivery for letters between London and Howard’s End which was obviously not in commuterable distance as the need for the London flat. This then led me onto the decline of rural post offices..........maybe a sign that it hadn’t hooked me in.

Still, will give it another go next week.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 13th, 2017, 10:22 am

I started watching it and thought that visually it was incredibly beautiful ... the lighting and the colour palette used were so atmospheric ... however I fell asleep ... not the programme's fault ... I'd had virtually no sleep the night before ... I'm glad we've recorded it as I'll catch up before the next installment ...it did seem to be travelling at a gentle pace, which I heartily approve of ... perhaps that's why people are picking up on incidental things that are helping to 'set the scene'?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 13th, 2017, 10:29 am

Mr R did it for "A" level too and enjoyed it so much he got me to read it - yes we were going outtogether eeven then!.

He was totally thrilled by this production me a little less so but it was past my pumpkin time - so I'll flip through again.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 13th, 2017, 1:42 pm

I think if you have read the book, then you have some inkling of who everybody is and their back story ... most of it went over my head . :( :aww: :?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » November 13th, 2017, 3:35 pm

i haven't watched the first episode of 'howards end' yet.

- but i hope howard either had a gentle passing - or did the appropriate thing with his ... (snigger)
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 13th, 2017, 4:23 pm

:spank:
Scully! Have you nothing better to do? :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Suelle » November 13th, 2017, 4:56 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:I think if you have read the book, then you have some inkling of who everybody is and their back story ... most of it went over my head . :( :aww: :?

Is there a story? Or is it just watching rich people meander through life? It was nice to watch, but brought home to me why I prefer watching crime/thrillers and programmes where something happens. :rolleyes:
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 13th, 2017, 6:34 pm

Suelle wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:I think if you have read the book, then you have some inkling of who everybody is and their back story ... most of it went over my head . :( :aww: :?

Is there a story? Or is it just watching rich people meander through life? It was nice to watch, but brought home to me why I prefer watching crime/thrillers and programmes where something happens. :rolleyes:

You might be right Sue ... I realise that I prefer crime/thrillers .. for instance The 'A' Word and the new series starting this week by Kay Mellor ;) :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby cooksalot » November 14th, 2017, 11:43 pm

Tedious or what! I stuck it for 20 minutes before giving up...
cooksalot
Registered

Postby aero280 » November 14th, 2017, 11:59 pm

If Howard's End had been published in recent years, it would have joined those books that win the Booker Prize.

Booker Prize winners have been described as "widely bought, but widely left unread". Largely written to impress literary critics, which gets them good reviews.

It's not a book that I would take out of the library, but I did find that I liked the works of Evelyn Waugh and read them all.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Pepper Pig » November 15th, 2017, 5:11 pm

aero280 wrote:If Howard's End had been published in recent years, it would have joined those books that win the Booker Prize.

I disagree. His 5 novels and his short stories were very popular in his lifetime. If your statement is true then it means that reading standards have declined which I know is not the case.

aero280 wrote: Booker Prize winners have been described as "widely bought, but widely left unread". Largely written to impress literary critics, which gets them good reviews.

I disagree with that too, whoever said it. I've read plenty of Booker and Man Booker prize novels as have many of my "reader" friends. There is beauty in a writer's use of language and imagery, it's not always about a good story. There are parallels with music and art here.

I enjoyed the first episode. I thought it was setting the scene nicely for what is to follow.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 4th, 2017, 9:39 am

Very very sorry it has ended. So faithful to the book, wonderfully acted and the whole production was stunning in design and photography.

I love it when everything falls into place at the very end - Only connect indeed,
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Return to TV and Radio