The Hairy Biker's Home For Christmas

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

The Hairy Biker's Home For Christmas

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 4th, 2017, 5:16 pm

Today BBC1 3.45pm.

Did you watch it? Does anyone know if it is a one off or a series?

A lovely, advert-uninterrupted 45 minutes featuring two of my favourite TV cooks. It has really relaxed me into the festive feasting season. I counted four delicious items including the traditional roast. I also enjoyed listening to the guest vicar describing her traditions, both family and church life, highlighting what Christmas is really all about. Thoroughly enjoyed it and almost missed it in favour of Tipping Point.

Well done boys! :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: The Hairy Biker's Home For Christmas

Postby suffolk » December 4th, 2017, 6:10 pm

I think this indicates that it's on most weekdays between now and the Big Day Itself http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09j4knj
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » December 4th, 2017, 6:16 pm

according to the radio times it's a series - although strangely they don't say how many episodes. they do say that it's repeated at 7.15 in the morning (i think that may be made up - not a real time at all!) and that it's on every day - and it's in next weeks radio times, too, so you've got at least two weeks of them, tezza.
scullion
Registered

Postby aero280 » December 4th, 2017, 6:19 pm

On the www.radiotimes.com website it says that it's episode 1 of 10.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Pepper Pig » December 4th, 2017, 7:08 pm

They did it all before circa 2010 so it's not exactly new.

http://www.hairybikers.com/shows/view/t ... YdvRvXt.97

I like them however so if I ever get out of Jury Service I shall watch. I hated them when they first started (too many shots of their bare bums) but they are now very watchable and reliable.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Busybee » December 4th, 2017, 7:15 pm

Thought Rev Kate Botley came across very well.

Nothing earth shattering or new, but good solid cooking.

Will watch it again if I catch it on.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 4th, 2017, 8:31 pm

Ten episodes - lovely.

There was nothing new but I think it was presented by them in a refreshing way. I look forward to the rest!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 5th, 2017, 10:10 am

scullion wrote:according to the radio times it's a series - although strangely they don't say how many episodes. they do say that it's repeated at 7.15 in the morning (i think that may be made up - not a real time at all!) and that it's on every day - and it's in next weeks radio times, too, so you've got at least two weeks of them, tezza.

I caught up with this programme this morning and thought it was delightful .. a bit of continuity irritation though.. They told the lovely Vicar lady they were going to make a croquembouche, then late in the programme told her they were surprising her with making one :rolleyes: :( I tuned in just as they were making the stuffing for the turkey breast and thighs. so will have a look inline as it looked delicious... And what delight the Vicar was :tu:
Last edited by PatsyMFagan on December 6th, 2017, 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 5th, 2017, 10:21 am

Is it the Gogglebox vicar? She's an absolute star! She and Richard Coles are doing a much needed PR job for the CofE
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » December 5th, 2017, 10:58 am

suffolk wrote:Is it the Gogglebox vicar?

Yes.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 7th, 2017, 9:56 am

I've been watching these programmes and have been concerned that the people showing how to make things like chutneys, kimchi and flavoured oils haven't mentioned the importance of sterilising the jars used for packaging.

They blithely pour things into jars, or layer up the veg and add a pickling spice, and make it look really easy, but I know there's more to it than that.

There's something at the back of my mind about the dangers of botulism in flavoured oils, too - was that when using raw garlic?
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby cyprusmoira » December 7th, 2017, 10:02 am

Suelle wrote:how to make things like chutneys, kimchi and flavoured oils haven'

also that items like chutney need to mature.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 7th, 2017, 11:21 am

Suelle wrote:There's something at the back of my mind about the dangers of botulism in flavoured oils, too - was that when using raw garlic?

Yes, clostridium botulinum is a soil borne organism that likes a low oxygen environment, so if you put raw garlic into oil, that's the magic unfortunately, the bugs will feast on the garlic generating toxin

Not a theoretical risk either, there have been at least two deaths certified in the USA

cyprusmoira wrote: items like chutney need to mature

I found a jar or 2014 tomato chutney at the back of the china cupboard last wek :chops:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 7th, 2017, 1:09 pm

I did not know that about garlic in oil! I always do it, in fact popped some garlic slivers in a litre of sunflower oil just yesterday. I've been doing this for years! How did I not know of the dangers???
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 7th, 2017, 1:25 pm

I am a member of a FB group about fermenting so I posed this question to them. They knew I about the oil but said that they just wash the jars thoroughly or on a dishwasher cycle not going so far as to sterilise .... some of them have been doing this for years. They did comment that salt inhibits bacterial growth, but the guy in the programme only sprinkled on some salt then washed it straight off, so not a pickle at all :(
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby aero280 » December 7th, 2017, 3:17 pm

There's a review of the Hairy Bikers' Pie Maker in today's Guardian.

They gave it a mark of 3.14 out of 5!! :D :D

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ter-pastry
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 7th, 2017, 6:10 pm

Here's a first for me. Bacon vodka. The look and thought of it physically turned my stomach! The rest of the show was pretty good today. Denise Lewis is such a lovely lady isn't she? Is pork crackling really that audibly crunchy? Surely that racket was edited in? :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 8th, 2017, 9:41 am

I didn't fancy that either Tezza ... and couldn't really see how the baby tomatoes in the vodka would have taken up any flavours at all :( :sprout:

Edited to add that Paul Martin has been my favourite guest so far ... so interesting listening to his life and how he got to where he is now. :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 8th, 2017, 10:19 am

I have now watched the first two and enjoyed them, though I do agree that the chutney woman is a bit gung-ho and approximate; what really made me :o was that she thought salt in chutney was an optional extra. The recipes for the inserted segments aren't on the BBC website don't know if they are in the book?

As I'd recently seen some of the HBs 12 days of Christmas, released in 2010, I was a bit shocked by how much they have aged in 7 or 8 years. I know Si has been ill, but he is only 50!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 8th, 2017, 7:55 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:Edited to add that Paul Martin has been my favourite guest so far ... so interesting listening to his life and how he got to where he is now. :tu:

Hmm. I wasn’t quite sure how he justified being a vegetarian pig breeder!
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 10th, 2017, 10:14 am

Pepper Pig wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:Edited to add that Paul Martin has been my favourite guest so far ... so interesting listening to his life and how he got to where he is now. :tu:

Hmm. I wasn’t quite sure how he justified being a vegetarian pig breeder!

He says he cooks for meat eaters ... I think it was more a case of living with the smell of an abbatoir at the end of his garden that put him of meat ... not particularly for ethical reasons. My sister can't eat pork because our dad raised pigs and she can't get the smell of those carcasses out of her mind. :(
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Return to TV and Radio