McMafia - now may contain spoilers!!

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

McMafia - now may contain spoilers!!

Postby cooksalot » January 2nd, 2018, 11:20 pm

Anyone else enjoying this? Found it very exciting so far. Quite taken with James Norton too! :D
cooksalot
Registered

Re: McMafia

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 3rd, 2018, 1:26 am

My Dad alerted me that it was on and I gave the first episode a bash but found the different accents and need for subtitles hard work, especially as I use subtitles anyway as a little hard of hearing. My Dad is very impressed with it so far and I probably would have enjoyed it more if I'd had a live pause button and someone in the same room explaining to me what on Earth was going on along the way. I needed those two luxuries when I watched The Godfather for the first time. The Godfather box set now takes pride of place in my film collection. So there you go!

Not sure on James Norton personally but can see how he may appeal!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 3rd, 2018, 6:19 am

I was not worried about the accents but the subtitles were removed rather quickly
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Suelle » January 3rd, 2018, 8:12 am

I think James Norton is terrific, and I'm enjoying McMafia too, although the plot is a little hard to follow, as there are so many intrigues going on. It's hard to tell who is plotting against whom, and no-one seems to be telling the truth.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Lokelani » January 3rd, 2018, 9:55 am

I've only watched the first episode so far and am definitely looking forward to the rest. I think I've thoroughly enjoyed everything James Norton has been in, however diverse the role, from Happy Valley to Grantchester to War and Peace.
Last edited by Lokelani on January 4th, 2018, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lokelani
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 3rd, 2018, 1:20 pm

WE too are enjoying it - though I had to do a rerun of the first episode to revise :lol: :lol:
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 3rd, 2018, 6:27 pm

Suelle wrote: no-one seems to be telling the truth.

You're right there!! :D :D

We're enjoying it, and found the second episode really gripping. Luke Harding wrote a piece in today's Guardian entitled: "McMafia makes chilling TV. But the reality is even worse" ...! (http://bit.ly/2CAPZVs)
KC2
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 3rd, 2018, 6:32 pm

Another one enjoying it here as well, and likewise, wondered what was going on in the first episode but persevered and things are starting to slip into place.

I think James Norton might make a good James Bond.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 3rd, 2018, 6:57 pm

Well, I'm pleased you lot talked me into that
For some reason I didn't fancy it, then I caught Mischa Glenny talking about it on the radio and I thought it might be a bit like the Night Porter
So here I am
Think I followed it all, except I'm not sure I can differentiate all the girls in black frocks, mostly sporting pony tails - sign of age maybe? :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 4th, 2018, 9:19 am

We are watching this with interest, Cyprus is a well known money laundering outpost although the EU has forced the Republic to reform some of its practises. There is a large house which has been further enlarged near us, why do they need a security guard, complete with his own very solid hut, on the gate?

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 4th, 2018, 9:29 am

Lokelani wrote: I think I've thoroughly enjoyed everything James Norton has been in, however diverse the roll, from Happy Valley to Grantchester to War and Peace.

Yes, me too, the sign of a great actor, but decided not to add this programme to my growing list of 'must watch' ...

[/quote]
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » January 7th, 2018, 12:25 pm

I watched the first one but gave up half way through the second episode.
Too violent for me.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 7th, 2018, 10:36 pm

Tonights episode has left me a tad confused. I forget names from week to week...... :rolleyes: Who was the guy chained up by his hands in the cellar on the south coast of France ???
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Suelle » January 7th, 2018, 10:56 pm

Zosherooney wrote:Tonights episode has left me a tad confused. I forget names from week to week...... :rolleyes: Who was the guy chained up by his hands in the cellar on the south coast of France ???

One of the heavies who killed Alex's uncle. Implying that the person claiming to be Alex's friend from Harvard (although he obviously isn't) is a heavyweight player in the system.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Re: McMafia - now may contain spoilers!!

Postby Zosherooney » January 8th, 2018, 6:28 pm

OOOOooooh ! Thanks Sue. :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 14th, 2018, 10:39 pm

Cor! this programme could not get much better..... for me it is riveting.... Hope others are enjoying it as much. Alex did not want to be involved in this at all and did not have a choice, so subtle....can't wait until the next episode.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 7th, 2018, 6:23 pm

Bumping this.... Is anyone else enjoying this as much as me ??
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Suelle » February 7th, 2018, 6:57 pm

Zosherooney wrote:Bumping this.... Is anyone else enjoying this as much as me ??

I'm still watching it, and enjoying it, although it's not getting particularly god reviews from the critics.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Busybee » February 7th, 2018, 7:27 pm

I’m enjoying it but I don’t think Edward Norton is quite right as the lead, he’s just not very menacing or particularly believable.

It had rave reviews or the first episodes but the critics don’t seem to rate more recent episodes.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 7th, 2018, 11:34 pm

We're still enjoying it - only one more episode now. Some of the characters - like Semiyon - are a clever blend of good and evil! It looks as if they're going to leave a lot of cliffhangers for a potential second series. They aren't going to be able to tie up all the ends in one episode!!
KC2
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 11th, 2018, 11:50 pm

Sad it seems that Alex has gone to the dark side....Yes, they do seem to have left it open for a 2nd series... I did enjoy it, something to look forward to on a dark Sunday evening.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Suelle » February 12th, 2018, 7:58 am

A second series would have a very different flavour though. Alex has, it seems, gone completely bad. Unless a second series focusses on him realising the error of his ways and trying to come back, I don't see how it could develop.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby KC2 » February 12th, 2018, 10:59 am

Suelle wrote:A second series would have a very different flavour though. Alex has, it seems, gone completely bad. Unless a second series focusses on him realising the error of his ways and trying to come back, I don't see how it could develop.

Yes, you're right!
KC2
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 12th, 2018, 3:14 pm

Judging by the positive comments, it seems highly possible that there might be a 2nd series - fingers crossed !!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » February 12th, 2018, 3:43 pm

Busybee wrote:I’m enjoying it but I don’t think Edward Norton is quite right as the lead, he’s just not very menacing or particularly believable.

It had rave reviews or the first episodes but the critics don’t seem to rate more recent episodes.

BB

i agree, about james norton, he's more of a retriever than a rottweiler.
i also thought the character, alex, was unbelievable, so naive coming from such a family, he seemed to be drawn into everything far too easily and making poor decisions.
i'm of two minds whether i'd watch if there was another series - which i think there will be otherwise why bring in all his martial arts type training and go nowhere with it?
in the end he'll probably get his lot from the double crossed mexican faction. i also think that his sister knows that the alphonso (or is it antonio?) guy isn't really who he says he is - she probably met the real one at alex's graduation ceremony.
scullion
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 12th, 2018, 3:59 pm

Busybee wrote:I’m enjoying it but I don’t think Edward Norton is quite right as the lead, he’s just not very menacing or particularly believable. BB

We decided that he must have been directed to be like that - apparently he was very good in Happy Valley, which we haven't seen.
scullion wrote:in the end he'll probably get his lot from the double crossed mexican faction.

Very likely, scullion.

Apparently someone on one of the comment sites thought that Alex and Rebecca would adopt Masha's baby now that Rebecca probably won't be able to have any children but that seems less likely now that the pregnant Masha has disappeared to who knows where ... also who knows if Alex and Rebecca are going to get back together again, although we thought that she was calling him to forgive him and say she wanted to get back together with him.
KC2
Registered

Postby Suelle » February 12th, 2018, 4:08 pm

But Vadim told Alex, before Alex killed him, that he couldn't succeed in the Mafia business unless he rejected all family ties, which is why I thought he didn't accept Rebecca's call.

I think James Norton came across well - he has played wide ranging characters in Happy Valley and Grantchester, and, although I didn't watch it, he was in War and Peace too, IIRC. I think he showed the character of Alex becoming colder, harder and more calculating as events progressed.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Busybee » February 12th, 2018, 4:12 pm

James Norton was excellent in Happy Valley playing a psychopath ...........my personal view was that he wasn’t quite right for the Alex role, but still enjoyed the series.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 12th, 2018, 4:37 pm

Suelle wrote:But Vadim told Alex, before Alex killed him, that he couldn't succeed in the Mafia business unless he rejected all family ties, which is why I thought he didn't accept Rebecca's call.

Ah yes, good point, I'd forgotten that :)
KC2
Registered

Return to TV and Radio