This week's must watch is ....

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

This week's must watch is ....

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 14th, 2018, 7:09 pm

Monty Don's Paradise Gardens on Friday BBC2 at 9 pm ....

Did you know that the word 'paradise' comes from the Persian word pairidaeza which means 'enclosed garden' ?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Re: This week's must watch is ....

Postby KC2 » January 14th, 2018, 8:26 pm

Ah yes, I saw that, it's in the Rome Unpacked slot, isn't it.
KC2
Registered

Postby scullion » January 14th, 2018, 11:53 pm

in the first episodes are the generalife at the alhambra and, i assume, the royal palace in seville - wonderful, serene places.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 15th, 2018, 10:45 am

The Wine Show is back but has moved from the murky depths of ITV4 to Channel 5, 7pm Fridays
In Provence this year.
Annoyingly because of the channel switch my series link missed last Friday's episode so I'll watch it on catch up.

Those who posted on the old BBC board may remember Melanie (Jappy) who used to post, she's the producer
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Hope » January 19th, 2018, 9:34 am

Oh. I miss Monty in the winter. can't wait.

I've been loving Rome unpacked. Was it only the two episodes?

The Hairy Bikers' Med is good too. (although why does no one ever do Malta when they do the Med?)
Hope
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 19th, 2018, 3:52 pm

My ex 'did' Malta a few years ago ... he loved it so much, he moved out there ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Hope » January 19th, 2018, 5:28 pm

:tu:

Corsica looks amazing, though! (more trees than Malta!)
Hope
Registered

Postby Hope » January 19th, 2018, 5:29 pm

My Uncle moved back there a few years ago, but last year he came back to the UK again!
Hope
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 19th, 2018, 6:56 pm

We holidayed in Corsica in September 17 two different locations and very lovely but some strange renting ideas, i.e. towels, linen etc. difficult to book not paying a deposit..... etc....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 25th, 2018, 8:30 pm

Just catching up with Monty Don

He's fine but the editing and diection is terrible, jumping around for no reason, there we were in Granada then - bouf - we were in Seville without any obvioys link. Poor IMO, we never get a decent look at each garden
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 26th, 2018, 3:40 pm

StokeySue wrote:Just catching up with Monty Don

He's fine but the editing and diection is terrible, jumping around for no reason, there we were in Granada then - bouf - we were in Seville without any obvioys link. Poor IMO, we never get a decent look at each garden

Very helpful! Will bear that in mind, Sue, as we haven't caught up yet ...
KC2
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 29th, 2018, 9:24 am

New Nigel Slater programmes starting on Friday, apparently they do let him out of north London as he is touring the Middle East. Sounds like an odd combination but we will see

21:00 Friday BBC 2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09qq7g8
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 29th, 2018, 12:49 pm

Cheers, Sue. There's a nice interview with him in this week's Radio Times as well.
KC2
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » February 11th, 2018, 3:51 pm

Shetland is back on Tuesday.
Looking forward to that :tu:
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 11th, 2018, 6:15 pm

Me too WW
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » February 11th, 2018, 6:39 pm

It will not be watched "live" though.
J goes for a pint with a couple of pals most Tuesdays and this week I am also out - off to the cinema with a friend.
Might even be the weekend before we get round to it.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 11th, 2018, 6:52 pm

I always series link any series I'm intending to watch or I (literally) lose the plot. This Tuesday I'll be at a pancake themed supper
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » February 11th, 2018, 6:58 pm

Forgive the ignorance but is that the same as "record series"
Only on a different piece of kit?
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 11th, 2018, 7:06 pm

Yes, I thought series link was a fairly general term, but it's certainly what Virgin's TiVo says
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 11th, 2018, 11:26 pm

I struggle with Shetland, I can't seem to tune my ears in to his accent :oops: :oops:

There is a new series starting soon, a J K Rowling book with one of the chaps from Musketeers, looks like it might be worth a watch. I have given up with Requeim...
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Suelle » February 12th, 2018, 8:01 am

Zosherooney wrote:I struggle with Shetland, I can't seem to tune my ears in to his accent :oops: :oops:

I can't reconcile a stereotypical Scottish person - large, almost ginger-y in hair colour - playing someone described in the books as dark and having Mediterranean ancestry. Almost as bad as Tom Cruise playing Reacher! :lol:
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 12th, 2018, 8:33 am

There's a good looking three part drama on ITV tonight - Trauma - with the very talented John Simm. We don't see enough of him on our screens IMHO.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 12th, 2018, 9:22 am

Perhaps fortunately I never read the books and I really like Douglas Henshall so for me it's a slightly grittier alternative to Death in Paradise or Marplec :D

Talking of grittier I stopped writing this because they were discussing Collateral, the new David Hare series on Breakfast. Worth a try I think, though they did confuse me by consistently pronouncing Carey Mulligan's name as Kerry

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09s7hcl
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Lokelani » February 12th, 2018, 9:29 am

Glad I read this thread, I'd missed that Shetland was back. Love it, as described above, grittier than Death in Paradise, and I'd say a bit less gritty than Vera, about as gritty as Inspector George Gently! :lol:
Together with it being Pancake day that makes tomorrow look like a good day. :D
Lokelani
Registered

Postby Suelle » February 12th, 2018, 10:52 am

John Simm fans, of which I am one, are spoilt for choice - he's in Collateral as well as three nights of Trauma this week! There'll be a lot of 'catch-up' to view. :D
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 13th, 2018, 10:08 am

I didn't fancy Collateral and as I have no record facilities at the moment decided on Trauma, mainly because the subject matter appealed to me more, but also I do like a back-to-back series. I really enjoyed it. As usual Simm was outstanding as were the other main characters. Looking forward to tonight!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 13th, 2018, 10:31 am

StokeySue wrote:Me too WW

Me three ;) :tu: I will definitely need the sub titles on this programme though :lol:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 13th, 2018, 10:35 am

Zosherooney wrote:I struggle with Shetland, I can't seem to tune my ears in to his accent :oops: :oops:

There is a new series starting soon, a J K Rowling book with one of the chaps from Musketeers, looks like it might be worth a watch. I have given up with Requeim...

You can always turn the sub titles on for Shetland Zosh ..;)

The JK Rowling is called Strike (the lead's name ... who is an ex soldier who lost a leg, so interesting to see how that is dealt with) ... I have seen an earlier series, not sure if it was on another channel (Sky 1 ?) and I will find I have seen it .. good though.
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 13th, 2018, 11:03 am

I just checked online
The first two stories (The Cuckoo's Calling and The Silkworm) were shown on BBC 1 at the end of last summer, five episodes in all. These are currently being repeated on BBC 4 at odd times, so becoming available on iPlayer again
There are trailers out for the third story, Career of Evil but no release date has been announced.
So annoying they don't just tell you when, they seem to set out to confuse, I nearly missed Collateral as I didn't notice they'd added release date to the trailers.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/strike/news/a849781/strike-career-of-evil-new-trailer-bbc-return-soon/
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 13th, 2018, 11:33 am

Suelle wrote:. Almost as bad as Tom Cruise playing Reacher!

An unforgivable crime in opinion
There are a lot of good series on at present, we have to watch most of them on playback because of the time difference

moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 13th, 2018, 7:50 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:There are a lot of good series on at present, we have to watch most of them on playback because of the time difference

Or they are showing at the same time on different channels :( I seem to spend so much time catching up these days - however the +1 function (on most commercial channels) is very useful... tonight I will be watching Shetland on BBC1 at 9pm, then part 2 of Trauma on ITV +1. That's my evening's viewing sorted (in bed where I am warm and comfortable ;) )
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 14th, 2018, 8:49 am

Well, I was on the edge of my seat with Trauma last night! I'll say no more for fear of spoilers! But, blimey, what do we have in store tonight??? :bounce:

A new Jo Brand and Alan Davies series on Channel 4 afterwards tonight. Damned. It didn't really need a trailer to tell me this is going to be good. Better get my belly laughing muscles ready!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 15th, 2018, 7:08 am

Following my post yesterday, I was disappointed with both! Trauma - flimsy. Damned - terrible camera wobbles and a constant office phone ringing in the background. What a double let down!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 15th, 2018, 10:55 am

TeresaFoodie wrote:A new Jo Brand and Alan Davies series on Channel 4 afterwards tonight. Damned. It didn't really need a trailer to tell me this is going to be good. Better get my belly laughing muscles ready!

I watched this not really knowing what it was about ... didn't much like so much swearing, but I suppose that's true in this day and age. However, found it very tragic (and also very true to life :?: :( :o :shock: ) ... nothing at all to laugh about even though both leads are comedians in another life !

I caught up with Trauma yesterday .. a good, but sad. How else could it have ended ? Meant to add that I had read a review and knew that viewers opinion of the surgeon would change (he did get my sympathy in the end) .. The guy playing the surgeon shadowed a surgeon from St Mary's Hospital Paddington for a while to learn how to look familiar in the operating theatre and also to learn a bedside manner.

I also caught up with Collateral and enjoyed that too, but lots of twists and turns that are very far from anything realistic ! :(
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Suelle » February 19th, 2018, 10:08 pm

Collateral seems to be shaping up well! Two episodes in, and although it's clear what is happening, as yet we have no idea why. Better than the less well written series where you can guess how it's going to end before the first episode is over.

Next question - is the second series of Marcella as daft as the first, or is it worth watching on catch-up?
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 19th, 2018, 11:33 pm

I didn't watch the first series of Marcella, but there was nothing else on tonight at that time that tickled my fancy, so I did watch it. I think I mentioned on CB. A very confusing first episode. Far too many interwoven characters, difficult to keep up with who knew who and why, I found myself happy when an advert break came on. I also find Anna Freil's acting style too harsh for my liking and same old same old, probably why she was cast in this role. Too much rushing around aggressively. Nothing stand out really making me look forward to the next one. If there's something better on instead I think I will skip it.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 20th, 2018, 10:42 am

Suelle wrote:Collateral seems to be shaping up well! Two episodes in, and although it's clear what is happening, as yet we have no idea why. Better than the less well written series where you can guess how it's going to end before the first episode is over.

Next question - is the second series of Marcella as daft as the first, or is it worth watching on catch-up?

I agree - both with your thoughts on Collateral and if it's worth catching up on Marcella!
KC2
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 20th, 2018, 11:08 am

I am enjoying Collateral, but didn't enjoy the first series of Marcella, so didn't bother with last night's episode .. I find I am becoming a bit of a slave to my tv lately... I go to bed at 9 pm most nights, only because I am more comfortable there than on my settee/chair downstairs .. so tend to watch something at 9, then something on +1 at 10 if that programme clashes with start times .. I still have a bit of a back log of stuff I have recorded :oops: ... Just caught up with the last series of Stella and Delicious - :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Suelle » April 10th, 2018, 8:37 am

Suelle wrote:

Did anyone watch this, and stick with it to the end? Not posting any spoilers when I say the whole series got more bonkers with every episode, and the finale reached new heights in bonkers-ness! :lol:
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby scullion » April 10th, 2018, 9:28 am

i recorded it but after other's saying it was a bit 'iffy', and then the humax not recording an episode a few weeks in, i deleted the lot without watching.
sounds like i didn't miss anything!
scullion
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 15th, 2018, 9:44 pm

There was an episode of Gogglebox recently, where they were literally ripping the episode apart where Marcella cuts off her own hair into a sink. I didn't see that particular Marcella episode, didn't intend to, but it did look a bit dodgy from the bit I saw! I am not too keen on Anna Freil if honest.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 15th, 2018, 11:12 pm

Just finished ordeal by Innocence
Too much flashback, and nearly all of the flashbacks were filmed in so little light they might as well have just recorded the sound (for me anyway)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Suelle » April 16th, 2018, 6:48 am

StokeySue wrote:Just finished ordeal by Innocence
Too much flashback, and nearly all of the flashbacks were filmed in so little light they might as well have just recorded the sound (for me anyway)

As a matter of interest, do you know who the killer was in the original story?

I enjoyed it, but have rarely watched a programme where there were no likeable characters.

I thought the last few minutes, showing the murderer's fate (no spoilers :D ) spoilt the whole thing! Totally unnecessary.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 16th, 2018, 12:58 pm

I made a point of sticking it out until the end, just to find out who the murderer was ! but I too had a job following the flashbacks and I don't have any sight problems :( Also thought the ending was unnecessary and totally unbelievable. Altogether too much happening and not enough back ground explanation. Did I miss the reason why the children had been adopted and why the mother was so cruel to them all ?

And yes, would also welcome knowing who the killer was in the original ...
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Suelle » April 16th, 2018, 1:54 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
And yes, would also welcome knowing who the killer was in the original ...

Apparently it was the housekeeper, to help one of the adopted sons get his hands on some money - presumably by theft.

She was my main suspect, but only because Morven Christie is too big a name for the part she was playing! :lol:

I think there were other aspects of the relationships between characters that had been altered from the original, too.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 6th, 2018, 12:11 pm

Caught up with the original Ordeal by Innocence last night :tu: I enjoyed this much better that the more recent production and soon after it started I realised that I had in fact seen it before, but had completely forgotten this (therefore also forgotten the original murderer) Last night's version also starred Geralding McEwan, my favourite Miss Marple ... :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 6th, 2018, 5:48 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:Geralding McEwan, my favourite Miss Marple ...

Noooo.. there is Joan Hickson....
Then there are the also-rans :lol:

I meant to record it, but forgot and doesn't seem to be on Vigin ITV ketchup :(
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 7th, 2018, 8:35 am

Oooh ... I just did a quick search, don't have time to investigate each episode, but my virgin ketchup lists Marples from 1st May ... I am sure it was no earlier than that. :?:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 7th, 2018, 9:00 am

PatsyMFagan wrote: Geralding McEwan, my favourite Miss Marple ...

I hated McEwan as Miss Marple, far to mannered for my liking
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 7th, 2018, 6:05 pm

I liked the twinkle in her eye ... but each to their own. ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Next

Return to TV and Radio