Nigel Slater's Middle East

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

Re: Nigel Slater's Middle East

Postby StokeySue » February 6th, 2018, 4:46 pm

Ras-el-hanout is surely Moroccan, not Middle Eastern? There are some poor ones about, I don't like Seasoned Pioneers, too hot, blows your taste buds; I picked up one (think it was Al-Fez) in which the main ingredient was bouillon powder and put it back rather rapidly. I have some I bought from a food festival, and will probably try Steenbergs next time, they do a za'atar too

https://steenbergs.co.uk/product/180/ras-al-hanut-spice-blend
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 6th, 2018, 6:00 pm

Yes, you're right Sue, it is Moroccan - because the shop we use has everything like that I'm afraid I muddle them all together a bit :?
KC2
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 6th, 2018, 6:51 pm

KC2 wrote:Yes, you're right Sue, it is Moroccan - because the shop we use has everything like that I'm afraid I muddle them all together a bit :?

Everyone does, Sabrina Ghayour doesn't entirely help bless her putting tagines in Persiana, and I think people often lump all cuisines from Arabic speaking areas together, and there are obviously connections
But I do think there's a cultural and geographical distinction between the Maghreb (N Africa along the Mediterranean coast going West from the Egypt- Libya border) and the actual Middle East - the Orient - which is, well further East!

I'm fighting a rearguard action all on my own I suspect. Though, I understand that what unites the Maghreb and the Middle East these days is flat bread with everything and (apparently) Egyptian soap operas - hilarious to Western eyes if you ever get the chance, they make Home and Away look sophisticated,
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Hope » February 6th, 2018, 7:02 pm

Yes you're right it is Moroccan. I just mentioned it in terms of the problems I'd had finding authentic spice mixes.
Hope
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 7th, 2018, 10:44 am

StokeySue wrote: Though, I understand that what unites the Maghreb and the Middle East these days is flat bread with everything and (apparently) Egyptian soap operas - hilarious to Western eyes if you ever get the chance, they make Home and Away look sophisticated,

I've never come across Egyptian soap operas but have encountered a hilarious bollywood soap channel when perusing the channels I don't normally look at on our freeview TV!! it really had to be seen to be believed :lol: :lol:
KC2
Registered

Postby miss mouse » February 9th, 2018, 9:56 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:I too find NS a bit creepy to watch (like a male Nigella ? )

I find him creepy too.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 9th, 2018, 2:09 pm

KC2 wrote:t really had to be seen to be believe

You have obviously never seen Cypriot TV :rolleyes:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby miss mouse » February 9th, 2018, 2:24 pm

The food looks wonderful but without access to the glorious salad veg is hard to recreate. It is amazing what a difference to climate a few miles south makes. UK growers are making huge strides with cultivars and poly-tunnels though.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 9th, 2018, 3:20 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:
KC2 wrote:t really had to be seen to be believe

You have obviously never seen Cypriot TV :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol:
KC2
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 9th, 2018, 10:41 pm

What a fantastic food/travelogue. Having been to Istanbul and a couple of holiday destinations in Turkey I now adore turkish cuisine but this went to a totally different level. Mr. Z was mesmerised by the perfect circles those ladies rolled.... our HM chapatis looked like various countries on our rolling out !

The manti (tiny ravioli) we watched being made in one place we visited, apparently the smaller you can make them, shows the extreme love you have for your beloved.....

Roll on the next episode :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 10th, 2018, 8:48 am

I was absolutely fascinated by the manti :o
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 10th, 2018, 8:54 am

Brilliant again - this series is a winner.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 10th, 2018, 1:12 pm

We enjoyed yesterday's too. I thought about some of you finding him creepy and really didn't feel that, at least not in yesterday's episode. I think someone said he's like a male version of Nigella, and I must admit I do find her a bit simpering sometimes - I have to ignore the butter wouldn't melt look when she's stirring or pouring or doing something pretty basic :lol:

I think we'll definitely do the roast veg with thyme and allspice and added beans from yesterday's programme. We roast veg all the time anyway, but it will be a different take on them.
KC2
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 10th, 2018, 1:25 pm

i don't find him creepy, I just get tired of his tendency to point out the utterly obvious very slowly, which he often does in his own kitchen, being out and about with other people means he doesn't do that

An acquaintance who edits cookbooks says he is a joy to work with
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Hope » February 10th, 2018, 1:36 pm

I was watching it, trying to notice creepiness, but I really didn't find any! (although I've not finished watching it yet!) He always comes across as a gently passionate person! (I cannot stand Nigella, though!)

I really fancy some sort of middle eastern food. All the veg and flatbreads looked lovely. I made myself a buckwheat flatbread the other day because they all looked so yummy, was ok, but not what I was after (wanted puffy and soft, but ended up with thin and crispy!)
Hope
Registered

Postby miss mouse » February 10th, 2018, 1:46 pm

Creepyness is in the eye of the beholder I suppose. He has tidied himself up a little at least.

StokeySue wrote:I just get tired of his tendency to point out the utterly obvious very slowly, which he often does in his own kitchen, being out and about with other people means he doesn't do that

I thought he did, someone, usually the translator/guide would say something and in case I had not understood that this was a tomato From the Garden it was repeated. Very irritating.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 10th, 2018, 1:56 pm

Hope wrote:He always comes across as a gently passionate person! (I cannot stand Nigella, though!)

Ditto
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 10th, 2018, 4:53 pm

Just caught up with yesterday's episode and Nigel is growing on me :o He really does seem to be passionate about the food he is tasting ... and I was drooling at the cheese/butter fondue type dishes :chops: :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » February 10th, 2018, 6:17 pm

Me too Pats....he’s definitely less creepy! It’s done him good to get away from his own kitchen....
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 10th, 2018, 6:55 pm

Given how much cheese and butter they eat, you wonder what their arteries are like!! But looking at that 70 yr old scrambling up the tree for the wild honey they would seem to be pretty fit!!
KC2
Registered

Postby Hope » February 10th, 2018, 7:04 pm

it's probably the exercise and the fact that they eat natural foods that keeps them healthy.
Hope
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 10th, 2018, 7:22 pm

I was pleased to catch the repeat of last night's episode, well the second half anyway, and thoroughly enjoyed it. There was not a dish on that table towards the end that did not make me drool, and it was interesting watching the lebneh (sp?) being made. I noticed too how healthy everyone looked, and the store cupboard including tomato puree made from 50kg of home grown tomatoes was just :kneel:

I have worked something out about Nigel and why he might come across to some as creepy, and for me it is because sometimes he comes across as very childish, like a small boy in a sweet shop. I don't think it suits him.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby miss mouse » February 10th, 2018, 8:13 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote: because sometimes he comes across as very childish, like a small boy in a sweet shop. I don't think it suits him.

A very good description. No it doesn't suit him, does it suit anyone?
miss mouse
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 10th, 2018, 11:19 pm

Yes, that's a good call
I just watched Turkey, really enjoyed it, slightly different take from Stein, McEvedy et al so might go back and watch Lebanon properly, really looking forward to Iran
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 11th, 2018, 7:30 am

It is very watchable for me because it is a part of the world where their cuisine is not something I know much about. I wonder if he'll cover the crusty bottomed baked rice that I am familiar with at some stage.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Hope » February 11th, 2018, 8:37 am

Oh Tezza, you're right he is rather like a little boy. I was sort of thinking when watching it that he seemed like he never grew up, but forgot until I read your comment. He looks even more like a teddy bear these days with the facial hair. Mr Hope says he looks like Bagpuss!
Hope
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 11th, 2018, 9:32 am

Yes, I was thinking teddy bear, or a fuzzy dog! There was a shot of him towards the end where I thought he just needs a set of spaniel's ears, but then I think that can mean something else.... :shock: :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 11th, 2018, 12:35 pm

You're spot on Teresa ... ;) :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Hope » February 11th, 2018, 4:55 pm

fuzzy dog - yes. To me, spaniel's ears are just that, I've no idea what the other connotation is, and too scared to google it!

I want to watch next week's episode already!
Hope
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » February 17th, 2018, 5:37 pm

I loved the food of Lebanon and Turkey - not so much Iran..
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 17th, 2018, 6:02 pm

I've never fancied visiting Turkey, but Nigel's portrayal of the country's food might have just convinced me that it should be up there on my to visit list. Those fruit leathers looked delicious! I'm drooling at the thought! What a great way of preserving fruit for winter.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » February 17th, 2018, 6:26 pm

I’m planning on starting watching this series tomorrow . Nigel’s one of my favourite food writers , though I find him difficult to watch at times.

The little boy analogy is interesting. I’ve read his autobiography Toast and it seems he had quite a sad childhood and a lot of possibly unresolved grief over the death of his mother. Could be where this behaviour stems from
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 25th, 2018, 12:33 pm

We eventually caught up with the Iranian episode last night. No wonder I have had such trouble with making Pomegranate Molasses, I was not boiling the juice for long enough. Their pomegranates are much bigger than ours

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Previous

Return to TV and Radio