Masterchef is back

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

Re: Masterchef is back

Postby cyprusmoira » April 3rd, 2018, 10:25 am

When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 4th, 2018, 7:09 am

Oh dear. Aren't people getting their knickers in a twist?
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 4th, 2018, 8:14 am

Well #rendangate is stupid
A Malaysian cooks a Malay curry that is renowned for its unctuous texture and Torode, self-appointed expert on "Asian" cuisine, complains that the chicken skin should be crispy though in Malay terms it would be a disaster if it was.
He then eliminates her from the contest on the grounds she got it wrong :shock:

He then causes further offence by tweeting an "apology" that ends "namaste" which is Hindi not Malay (that tweet has been withdrawn)

Ho-hum. Really silly. And I've always thought the concept of "Asian cuisine" was flawed. I've been following it via James Wong's Twitter feed, very funny but does show you something about multi-culturalism
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 5th, 2018, 5:52 am

Further developments in Redang gate https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2018/04/ ... ion-widget. Various governments seem to be getting involved
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » April 5th, 2018, 6:36 pm

I appreciate it's not authentic but I really could not eat uncrispy chicken skin.
That's why I haven't had a KFC in 30-odd years.

Sorry for swearing (KFC)
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » April 6th, 2018, 9:21 pm

Right decision again
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 7th, 2018, 12:23 pm

WWordsworth wrote:Right decision again

:tu:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 7th, 2018, 12:46 pm

WWordsworth wrote:I appreciate it's not authentic but I really could not eat uncrispy chicken skin.

Admittedly the Malay chicken dishes I have eaten have generally bern made with skinless chicken, which given she was meant to be making a refined dish she shoukd have considered (perhaps she did)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 7th, 2018, 2:19 pm

I don't know much about chicken skin, crispy or otherwise, but still Moonira is my winner.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 9th, 2018, 8:58 pm

If John Torode mis-pronounces ballotine once more I may well throw something at the telly :twisted:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 10th, 2018, 12:13 pm

What will the survivors have to cook in Peru one wonders, with the obvious thoughts :lol: :lol:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 12th, 2018, 12:17 pm

Oh no, cats or dogs? If so then I will definitely be chucking a random brick at my TV. Well, I'd actually have to walk quietly round the block for a bit and watch Eastenders on catch up afterwards. TV very precious at the moment!

What do they eat in Peru? I've never met a Peruvian but hope they are nice!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 12th, 2018, 1:06 pm

I actually caught a bit of it last night. (Not a fan. I can't stand Torode.) Some amazing food - if not very vegetarian ;)

Crispy piranha skin was one item.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 12th, 2018, 1:10 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:... What do they eat in Peru? I've never met a Peruvian but hope they are nice!

The ones I've met have been very nice indeed :hug: :luv:

Guinea pigs/cavies/cuy are traditionally farmed for meat and are a delicacy. However they were not featured on Masterchef last night. :)
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby KC2 » April 15th, 2018, 10:16 am

So what did everyone feel about the final result?

I had thought that David the pilot would perform better but he evidently divided John and Greg. Kenny certainly had a very good final. I think the Malaysian doctor was possibly a bit too much of a showman although he made good tellly!

It is truly amazing what they all achieve in the time they're given!
KC2
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 15th, 2018, 11:04 am

Thought the Malaysian doctor was going to win right until the end. But then if he'd won, would he have given his medical career and years of studying to take cheffing up seriously? I think that could have been a factor in why Kenny won. David seemed to have a panic element about him and again, giving his career up for food? Probably the runners up would be better off keeping food as a hobby and think Kenny will go far. I really enjoyed it.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 15th, 2018, 11:24 am

I caught up with this last night
TeresaFoodie wrote:What do they eat in Peru? I've never met a Peruvian but hope they are nice!
I either win, or I learn

I went to Lima (working) about 14 years ago, what I ate was exactly what they cooked at the fisherman's cafe, delicious. Though slightly surprisd they made lomo saltado with beef, not pork which is how I had it
The Peruvians are obssessed with potatoes having originated then and one of the best things to eat is a patty made of yellow potato filled with crab. The fish and veg are wonderful - Peruvian asparagus for example is OK in the UK, when fresh and local it's outstanding, and all the other veg
The people believe in eating well, as in France people still go to proper restaurants for lunch during the working day, buffets are popular, I was taken for lunch to one on the first day, very informal in a converted garage. I was a little wary until I remembered I was eating with a team of doctors and research scientists, and they had decided it was safe for me! Many places do a set three course lunch to eat in the lunch hour, which comes with a fresh fruit juice. Also good. Peruvian service in restaurants and bars is outstanding, very nice people, and anyone would like my lovely colleague, a research doctor, a native Peruvian, about 5 foot cube, and totally charming as well as very, very, clever
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » April 15th, 2018, 3:23 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:Thought the Malaysian doctor was going to win right until the end. But then if he'd won, would he have given his medical career and years of studying to take cheffing up seriously? I think that could have been a factor in why Kenny won. David seemed to have a panic element about him and again, giving his career up for food? Probably the runners up would be better off keeping food as a hobby and think Kenny will go far. I really enjoyed it.

Yes, Tezza, OH said exactly the same about Naomin and David. I think you're right and it could well have played a big factor in their decision.
KC2
Registered

Previous

Return to TV and Radio