The Woman in White

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

The Woman in White

Postby KC2 » April 24th, 2018, 1:49 pm

Hello there
Have any of you watched this and would you recommend it?

Cheers
KC2
KC2
Registered

Re: The Woman in White

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 24th, 2018, 2:00 pm

I watched it. I really enjoyed it. I don't normally 'do' period dramas (I guess you could call it that?) and now I am wondering why not! I thought the setting, the costumes, the atmosphere and the acting were all great. I nodded off a bit towards the end. Nothing to do with the story! I was just cream crackered, relaxed and enjoying it so much. Will be interested to see what others say.

Am I right in thinking this was made into a stage show some years ago?
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 24th, 2018, 2:01 pm

I have it recorded but haven’t seen it yet. It good good reviews in The Telegraph and Guardian if that’s any help.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 24th, 2018, 6:17 pm

Yes, I've seen the first episode :) Jessie Buckley was on Woman's hour today and like Jane Garvey I haven't seen any previous productions, nor read the book. Looking forward to episodes 2 and 3 ...
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby KC2 » April 24th, 2018, 7:55 pm

Ah, thanks all, I think I'll suggest to OH that we give it a go :tu:
KC2
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 24th, 2018, 8:00 pm

I've read the book (so long ago I think I was too young to understand it) ande seen other versions
This was one is rather different and pretty good so far
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 25th, 2018, 12:31 pm

We recorded it to watch later. I love the book so I'm hoping this version will be as good.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 30th, 2018, 4:09 pm

Has anybody been sticking with this?

I think I have finally worked out what's going on after last night. One thing I am really impressed by with the acting are the facial expressions which reveal the character's thoughts without many words needing to be said. I am particularly enjoying watching the sister's character (does she remind anyone else of comedian Sue Perkins?) and isn't Sir Percival just the creepiest creep ever?

Really looking forward to 9pm tonight.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby KC2 » April 30th, 2018, 4:30 pm

We finally watched episode 1 on catch up and will I think carry on with it. I read it so long ago I can barely remember anything about it so it's actually all new to me!
KC2
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 1st, 2018, 8:16 am

Well, the plot certainly thickened last night! A thoroughly gripping watch. I never usually watch a production of a book and then read the book, usually the other way round, but this is such a good story I am tempted to read it....
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » May 1st, 2018, 8:29 am

Wilkie Collins is recognised as the first detective novelist. The woman in white and the moonshine are both thoroughly good reads.
scullion
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 1st, 2018, 9:24 am

Good to have proper villains, you know that as a Victorian novel good will prevail. I hope that the writer has not mucked about with the ending as they did with the Christie a couple of weeks ago
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 1st, 2018, 9:36 am

cyprusmoira wrote:Good to have proper villains, you know that as a Victorian novel good will prevail. I hope that the writer has not mucked about with the ending as they did with the Christie a couple of weeks ago

On the subject of the Christie novel, there is an earlier production of Ordeal by Innocence on tv this week sometime (probably itv3 and about 10 pm iirc) I have set my tv to record this as I saw the last production and interested in how much it had been changed.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 1st, 2018, 10:45 am

ITV3 Friday 8pm is the Christie film. I'll watch that. Thanks for the heads up.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 2nd, 2018, 5:24 am

Just a grumble, I do wish that they would get their back ground continuity sorted out. You see someone standing in front of a big oak tree still in tight bud then you see them walking through bright green woodland

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby KC2 » May 2nd, 2018, 10:56 am

Yes, background continuity is a problem. On Homeland the other night, when they were in Moscow, one minute Saul was being snowed on, and the next it was completely clear and no snow even on the ground.
KC2
Registered

Postby scullion » May 2nd, 2018, 5:47 pm

that sounds a bit like one of the main roads in salamanca, spain, on google street. you could be traveling along the road in bright summer sunshine when suddenly, half way along, you were traveling through quite thick snow. i would imagine they've updated it by now.
scullion
Registered

Postby KC2 » May 2nd, 2018, 10:26 pm

scullion wrote:that sounds a bit like one of the main roads in salamanca, spain, on google street. you could be traveling along the road in bright summer sunshine when suddenly, half way along, you were traveling through quite thick snow. i would imagine they've updated it by now.

:lol: :lol:

Caught up on the third part of WiW tonight and found it quite gripping! Looking forward to the next episode.
KC2
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 3rd, 2018, 7:23 am

I have been far too busy trying to work out the plot to notice a continuity issue, but I bet I will now.

Actually, on that subject, I was watching a 'making of' of Not Going Out recently which included out takes involving continuity, and it was quite interesting to watch just how difficult it is sometimes to get just the simplest situations to flow properly, so to get entire backgrounds messed up is pretty shoddy IMO.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 7th, 2018, 6:09 pm

Well, I am persevering, but not liking it at all ... I had to watch last night's episode on ketchup this afternoon and so didn't get the subtitles :( Very annoying as I can't understand a word the Count says, especially in the very gloomy scenes - almost in complete darkness ! :( It's really too dark (metaphorically) and the villain is just too cruel for this sensitive soul ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 7th, 2018, 6:30 pm

I have been struggling to understand the Count too, and some others, so have been relying on subtitles. I wouldn't have managed without them.

Last night I decided to skip it because I just could not concentrate over the loud thumping of music coming from somewhere in the block where I live. I'm pretty sure I had partly given up on it anyway and watched Millionaire instead with my volume whacked right up. I think I will read the book instead.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 8th, 2018, 10:25 am

Well it's all over ! Phew .... I'm glad I saw it to the end. :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 8th, 2018, 12:07 pm

My main problem last night was Mr R's griping about the marriage register. The adding of an entry, according to him simply couldn't have happened. I had to point out that that was the authors fault not the BBCs.

I loved it, being a real sucker for Victorian High Gothic.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Return to TV and Radio