Britain's Best Home Cook

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

Britain's Best Home Cook

Postby Suelle » May 5th, 2018, 7:22 am

Anyone else watching this?

I watched it on catch-up last night, just to see if it was worth following and I was pleasantly surprised. Nothing earth-shattering, but a few twists along the way which made it interesting.

I'll probably carry on watching. :)
Suelle
Global Moderator

Re: Britain's Best Home Cook

Postby Busybee » May 5th, 2018, 7:34 am

I thought it was ok, certainly not deserving of the panning it seems to have had in the press. Claudia Winkleman is, as ever, a brilliant host, Mary Berry does what she does best, I thought that the chef was very encouraging and calming, not sure about the ingredients bloke.

I’ll carry on watching, I’m sure as we get to see the edited highlights we will bond with some contestants more than others and have a vested input as to who wins. Bake off was a very slow burner that first series on BBC 2.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 5th, 2018, 9:08 am

I had this highlighted in my TV guide and started watching it but didn't enjoy it so switched over. It seemed very same-old-same-old to me. I'll most probably find something else to watch next time it is on. Shame because I do like Claudia and Mary, just not the format and didn't feel as if I was learning or seeing anything new.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » May 5th, 2018, 9:48 am

i was rather pleased with it - hints of bake-off so a bit of familiarity but with a wider remit and with some interesting twists (and no paul hollywood). - it also had the hint of looking in the cupboard to see what you had to throw a meal together.
i will definitely be watching again.
scullion
Registered

Postby Bubbles » May 5th, 2018, 3:43 pm

I really enjoyed this and thought smugly of my own poached eggs which are always fine. I do love Claudia Winkleman but in all honesty found she detracted from the cooking but maybe she'll grow into it. Looking forward to next week's!
Bubbles
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 10th, 2018, 10:05 pm

I did actually go back on my word and gave this another chance, but kept finding myself nipping off to do something less annoying instead. But I worked out what I don't like about it. It's the smug, twee, dainty, tinkle, tinkle background music. One of my pet hates on TV, not only cookery shows. It tends to distract me from the main point of the programme and I have to either rapidly run away to somewhere peaceful, or find a way of filling my ears with something more pleasant to listen to, such as a bit of death metal. :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 15th, 2018, 9:21 am

Teresa - What about turning the sound off (or really low) and putting on the sub titles?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 18th, 2018, 7:38 am

I watched this again last night, thinking I could mute and subtitle it, but I actually did quite enjoy it without having to do that. Claudia's sometimes quirky comments made me laugh out loud few times. Didn't the pastry on all those pies look :drool:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 18th, 2018, 9:24 am

I wondered why on earth the 2 women chose to cook duck when neither of them had a clue.
Mr R , if he is around, always asks me what I would cook and last night I immediately said duck breasts with a plum chutney/sauce.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 18th, 2018, 10:02 am

Ratatouille wrote:I wondered why on earth the 2 women chose to cook duck when neither of them had a clue

I wondered that but I think that they would have had problems with plums regardless, I do not think they come from backgrounds that eats plums. Even I know that you have to score duck breasts to cook out the fat
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » June 1st, 2018, 2:00 pm

Someone actually made a Chocolate Fondant that turned out perfectly.
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Return to TV and Radio