crash diets

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

crash diets

Postby scullion » May 31st, 2018, 9:05 am

interesting programme on last nights about the improvement and efficacy of crash diets - the shake and packet soup type - amazing results for the participants in eight weeks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b53xqs
scullion
Registered

Re: crash diets

Postby suffolk » May 31st, 2018, 9:21 am

I did one ... it worked for me ... I lost 8 stone ... ok, I've put 4 of those back on :rolleyes: (I do love good food) but I've stabilised and have been the same weight now for several years ... even when I was so inactive last year because of my accident ... if I was told to lose weight again (for instance, if I needed a hip op or similar) I'd happily do the same again ... but it was a bit pricey ...

Several people doing Lighter Life at the same time as me lost huge amounts and improved their health massively ... getting rid of Type 2 Diabetes, High Blood Pressure etc.

The down side is the saggy appearance ... very hard to accept.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 31st, 2018, 9:24 am

Saw that too :tu: The participants did go through a lot of emotional pain didn't they, but it seemed worth it in the end. I was wondering though why the presenters thought it was a breakthrough that type 2 diabetes can be reversed by loss of weight. Didn't Michael Moseley (and indeed our own Spotted Dick) prove this some time ago with the 5:2 fasting diet ?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 31st, 2018, 10:12 am

I didn't see the whole prog, but I thought the unteresting thing in many ways was that they intended the crash diet to break bad habits and to have a very structured reintroduction of "ordinary" food at the end

PatsyMFagan wrote:. I was wondering though why the presenters thought it was a breakthrough that type 2 diabetes can be reversed by loss of weight. Didn't Michael Moseley (and indeed our own Spotted Dick) prove this some time ago with the 5:2 fasting diet ?

Dick is what is known as anecdotal evidence, may be interesting but proves nothing
Moseley describes himself as a reporter, he doesn't do any research himself, he just reports other people's research and often uses himself as an illustration
Proper proof, the kind that would be accepted by academics and doctors and published in a medical journal is something quite different, and I think having data good enough that it might give you good evidence possibly is new.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 31st, 2018, 10:28 am

That's me told then ! ;) :lol: :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Suelle » May 31st, 2018, 10:31 am

I think it is the Blood Sugar Diet that Michael Mosley advocates to reverse Type 2 diabetes, not the 5:2 Intermittent Fasting, but your point remains the same - there is already a lot of evidence out there that very restrictive diets can reverse the disease. Perhaps this was the first to link meal replacement crash diets with the reversal.

I think the 4 dieters did really well over the nine week trial, but I'd like to see how things were in a year's time, now they are back on 'real' food. It's all to easy to increase portion sizes, or eat extra, without really realising at first, especially if you reach your target weight.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 31st, 2018, 10:49 am

Suelle wrote:I think the 4 dieters did really well over the nine week trial, but I'd like to see how things were in a year's time, now they are back on 'real' food. It's all to easy to increase portion sizes, or eat extra, without really realising at first, especially if you reach your target weight.

Yes ... a follow up programme should be made :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 31st, 2018, 10:53 am

The Lighter Life programme is totally carb free. The 7 day a week plan has to be monitored by a GP and weekly BP and urine tests done. As I understand it, when I was doing it the results were being shared with some UK medical research facility ... I did know who but can't remember now.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 31st, 2018, 11:35 am

A friend of my husband's used Lighter Life and lost a colossal amount (about 14 stone, I think) and became a mentor (not sure what the terminology is) for a while. The regime sounds rather depressing - very anti foodie insofar that you don't get to cook? It can't have been fun, Suffs, if this is what you did, but you got the results. I think the friend put some but by no means all of the weight back on. And yes I gather the excess skin was/is a horrible issue for them.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 31st, 2018, 12:16 pm

It was an odd experience ... 8 months of no proper food at all ... during that time I 'cooked for England' ... mainly preserves ... everyone had hampers for Christmas :lol:

I also cooked for OH some of the time, and can honestly say that I didn't nibble or lick any of his food. I can be a bit of an all or nothing sort of a person and I felt really well and full of energy while on the plan. The only problem was finding enough public loos on days that I was working, as in order not to become dehydrated and 'clogged up' you need to drink at least 3 litres of water a day. I found I needed between 4 and 5 litres which has to be discharged somewhere :shock:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 31st, 2018, 1:06 pm

Crash diets have always worked most successfully for me and I have kept the weight off for some years. I think they can work well for 'emotional' eaters as it means steering clear of everything that might be a trigger food and focussing. With diets where you have a little bit of what you like it is too easy to have a lot instead. Some will go back to poor habits immediately but others will have been given a springboard to better things ( and I feel their stomachs will have shrunk so eating more will be uncomfortable (that has been my experience). Emotional eating is a complex subject, it annoys me when there is little help for people except to be told not to. If it was so easy to change habits no-one would be fat. Anyone who has lost a lot of weight will regain unless they change habits forever. Alcoholics etc get much better help. People I know who've followed Moseley's 'diabetic' diet have had very good results health-wise.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby dennispc » June 3rd, 2018, 2:58 pm

This link suggests 5:2 does prevent diabetes but, (going by my SIL) cutting out sugary food and other stuff will no doubt have the same effect.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/art ... betes.html

As will this, which SiL also stopped eating.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... heap-bread

Proper proof, the kind that would be accepted by academics and doctors and published in a medical journal is something quite different, and I think having data good enough that it might give you good evidence possibly is new.

I agree with you Sue, but quite a lot of published research could be considered reporting on the research of others. A few people got excited about this in last Friday’s Guardian,

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... t-on-earth

The research was published in the journal Science. Unfortunately, it only allows the public to read the Abstract not the whole paper. However, searching around he used 570 other research papers to come to his conclusions and thus ‘reporting’ on them. It’s impressive analysing 38,000 farms, but there are roughly 570million farms in the world - I’ll let you do the maths(!) - so perhaps not quite so conclusive.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Return to TV and Radio