Saturday Kitchen

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

Saturday Kitchen

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 9th, 2018, 9:45 am

Brilliant line up today :tu: And nice to hear Jamie Oliver say that he was watching his 2 heroes (Michel Roux Jr and Ade Edmondson) He also made such a great contribution to the programme in general, chipping in with snippets of food info and a touching tribute to Antony Bourdain :tu: Ade Edmondson was also a great guest with his funny asides and sensible questions. :tu: :kneel: :hi5: :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Re: Saturday Kitchen

Postby StokeySue » June 9th, 2018, 2:07 pm

I went out and gardened but you saw my Tweet about the Mille feuille

These are the instructions
Marianne Lumb wrote:Meanwhile, prepare the mille feuille. Preheat the oven to 190C/170C Fan/Gas 5 and line a baking tray with baking paper. Put the puff pastry on a lightly floured work surface and roll out to a thickness of 2mm. Cut the pastry into eight rectangles. Put the rectangles on the baking tray and chill in the fridge for 15 minutes. Place another baking tray on top and bake for 8 minutes. Remove the top tray and then bake again for another 3 minutes, or until golden brown and perfectly crisp. Leave to cool.

You cannot make mille feuille by flattening puff pastry to make a disgustingly greasy biscuit, and I don't care how often tv chefs say you can, it is a lie (cooking puff pastry at such a low temperature is likely to result in toughness and grease too)

Classic mille feuille is made from puff pastry that rises so spectacularly it can be split between the layers to fill it. Which is why it isn't really something to do in a domestic oven unless you are a bake off style pastry geek of course :lol:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 9th, 2018, 6:47 pm

In fact the only recipe I didn't much like the look of :( I knew exactly what you meant when I saw her putting it together (not a lot of cooking went on there ! :rolleyes: )
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby miss mouse » June 13th, 2018, 9:58 am

I liked the prog too. Michel Roux is more relaxed on TV now and Jamie was good and Ade was entertaining.
miss mouse
Registered

Return to TV and Radio