All Things Mama Mia !

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

All Things Mama Mia !

Postby Zosherooney » June 17th, 2018, 10:24 pm

Is it just me ? I have seen the film and have the video, have not seen the stage play but when I need a boost this does does it for me. I adore Greek islands and the vibe of the film gets to my inner core.

Tonight seems to have been ABBA night and I had heard there was a sequel to MM and it would seem to be true on the 18th of next month. I can't wait !
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: All Things Mama Mia !

Postby earthmaiden » June 18th, 2018, 1:21 am

Oh no, I don't mind ABBA although they're not my first choice and I am sure I would love the Greek islands but I was quite shocked at the subject matter of the film. Anyone who knows anything about my life will tell you I am far from being a prude and I had a child out of wedlock before it was acceptable. However, to make this a jolly film suitable for all ages astounded me. Quite apart from that there are only a few musicals I really like. I am the only person I've met who has no desire to see the film again. Enjoy the sequel!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 18th, 2018, 6:11 am

I was brought up in a family of Abba fans so to this day I do have a soft spot for them. In a word I think they were brilliant in their day, and do agree that their music is uplifting. I didn't watch the Abba fest last night though as there was a World Cup fest on the other channels. Had that not been the case then I may well have dipped in. I am also I think in the minority in that I can't stand musicals.....but I'm glad you enjoyed it Zosh! :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » June 18th, 2018, 6:22 am

I quite like ABBA, and I like some musicals, but I’m with Earthmaiden here, I was surprised and a little shocked at the story, didn’t enjoy at one bit.
Would not watch it again, and will not be watching the sequel.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby scullion » June 18th, 2018, 11:16 am

i've seen it once, it was ok but i couldn't sit through pierse brosnan's singing a second time!
scullion
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » June 18th, 2018, 12:02 pm

scullion wrote:t was ok but i couldn't sit through pierse brosnan's singing a second time

ditto :rolleyes:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 18th, 2018, 7:23 pm

I don't think any of them have 'good' singing voices but somehow that was half the charm for me, it seemed to make them more 'human' and not stars of the silver screen. I think you had to see the prog. to 'get' it.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby barnsleycook » June 20th, 2018, 5:44 am

I think the actors who couldn't sing were doing it tongue in cheek anyway. I agree with Zosherooney that it added to the charm. Meryl Streep has a surprisingly good singing voice though. Although I'm sure I read somewhere that she was a singer before she became an actress. What channel was the programme on? DD would have loved it but was preparing for her last A level exam. She adore Mamma Mia and all things abba, so it will be something uplifting for her to watch after all the stress of revision/exams/university applications etc.
barnsleycook
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 20th, 2018, 7:15 am

BC, It was on channel 5 on the 17th so not too late to 'catch up' if you have that facility :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 20th, 2018, 9:35 am

Sorry, I find it contrived, trite and superficial ... the plot really lets the music down ... and as EM says it does make light of a very serious storyline ... I know someone who doesn't know who her father is ... the damage that has been done is incalculable ... I know similar tales have been used by dramatists throughout history but rarely have they been treated in such a cavalier manner.

Fine for adults, but I don't think it's a family film ... however, I've just read this out to OH and he's quite fairly pointed out that WW2 wasn't a joke, but we laugh at 'Allo 'Allo and Dads' Army ....

Perhaps it's just 'cos I find the film trite that I don't like it and I'm constructing reasons to justify my opiniion :rolleyes:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 20th, 2018, 9:45 am

I watched the film once to see what the fuss was about.
I enjoyed it, but you'd probably enjoy watching Meryl Streep and that cast do anything, they are good enough to have a light touch

My grandfather (born 1880s) never knew who his father was, his mother knew but wouldn't say. His brother had the same father (I think I know who but would of course need DNA to prove it)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » June 20th, 2018, 1:20 pm

None of us really know who our fathers are though, do we? We think we do, in most cases we're probably right, and some fathers and children look like peas in a pod, but otherwise we can't be certain...
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 20th, 2018, 2:30 pm

I think the comment about WW2 etc is interesting! He has a point, we can make light of anything and usually understand the serious side as well. Of course loads of women have had children where they weren't sure about the father's identity. Until recently a slip-up with just one partner would mean the woman might be ostracised by her family and friends and that the child would suffer in many ways. I am glad that things have changed to such a degree that women can brag, even to their children, about their past conquests. It is honest and probably a good thing for women. It still feels a bit vulgar though and a strange subject for a family musical. Maybe the sequel will show the offspring having therapy as she comes to terms with everything. Larkin was so right .... :)
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » June 20th, 2018, 2:38 pm

Some years ago I was taken to see the Mamma Mia! musical. I've not been to the theatre since and OH hasn't insisted. She now agrees with me that paying all that money for travel and tickets is uneconomic. It's much cheaper to stay home and fall asleep there; and the chair is more comfortable. :oops: :oops:

I ws taken to Cats before that. It was another expensive sleep...
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Bubbles » June 21st, 2018, 12:22 pm

I have seen Mamma Mia twice with different groups of friends and Cats once. I enjoyed every minute of them both and OH bought me the Mamma Mia dvd. The concept of Mamma Mia is in questionable taste but there is far worse on tv and films. I agree with Zosh; it is a feel good film despite the problematic storyline,
Bubbles
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 22nd, 2018, 10:07 pm

For anyone interested, Cher was on Graham Norton tonight chatting about her involvement in MM. I didn't pay too much attention except to notice she's still lucky enough to have a great and unique voice. Well done her!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 23rd, 2018, 7:30 am

I caught a bit of the GN show too … I think Cher's voice is the only thing left of her that is original isn't it ? ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 23rd, 2018, 9:33 am

I was thinking exactly the same thing....
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Bubbles » June 23rd, 2018, 3:12 pm

In my post above I meant that I had seen MM at the theatre in London which is a fantastic experience. Don't know if it's still running but I would go again!
Bubbles
Registered

Postby aero280 » June 23rd, 2018, 4:29 pm

The Meryl Streep version is on ITV3 right now...
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby cyprusmoira » June 24th, 2018, 6:51 am

I used to belong to a craft group that met in N London. The mother of one of our members was a theatrical angel, that is she invested money in new productions. In 1998 she invested £1,000 in a small production called Mama Mia. I wonder what return she got on that investment?

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 24th, 2018, 8:09 pm

Wow! I hope she got something!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 28th, 2018, 6:01 pm

I knew the guy that sold Cher her wigs .......... I think I will give the new MM mark 2 film a go when it comes out :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » June 28th, 2018, 6:56 pm

I can’t stand ABBA in anyway shape or form . Tried to watch Mamma Mia but even trying to ignore the music , the actual film content did nothing for me. Beautiful scenery though
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 29th, 2018, 1:31 pm

Zosherooney wrote: I think I will give the new MM mark 2 film a go when it comes out

We need a girlie night out !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 29th, 2018, 10:20 pm

Only if we wear platforms and sequins !!!!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 21st, 2018, 6:54 am

Zosherooney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 21st, 2018, 9:06 am

Shock; Horror ….Yesterday went to see that immoral and depraved film Mama Mia, Here We Go Again ! with SiL who is visiting from Vegas ;) ….. Thoroughly enjoyable, wonderful scenery again but a bit of a convoluted way of explaining how the main character came to have slept with 3 men on (almost?) 3 consecutive nights. I don't think it will lead anyone astray though. A real feel good film. Too many girls with long blonde hair, so a bit confusing sorting out the flash backs and identifying the central female characters. :?

… Afterwards I treated us to a wonderful meal at my current favourite restaurant the Three Oaks in Gerrards Cross.. Instead of my usual choice of set menu we settled for a main and desert from the á la carte menu. I had a mackerel dish that was cooked with a blow torch but also just had to choose their version of Eton Mess and also treated myself to a Hedgerow Royale Cocktail :cocktail: :chops: :bounce: . SiL who eats a bit more conservatively chose Pork belly main and a glass of red wine, but she also enjoyed the Eton Mess :tu: :chops: :chef: :hungry:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » July 21st, 2018, 9:27 am

I shall take myself off to see the film one afternoon during my holidays, OH will not be joining me!
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 24th, 2018, 9:53 pm

I think we will wait until it visits our village hall.....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 29th, 2018, 6:38 pm

My fiend has reported she went with another fiend to the new MM film and thought it was wonderful, Cher was great too.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » July 29th, 2018, 6:45 pm

Should have reported back, naughty me ;) .

Saw this on Friday, thoroughly enjoyed it.

It's entertainment not a serious comment on life. Take it for what it is and lose yourself in a couple of hours of sunshine, scenery and song.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » July 29th, 2018, 8:40 pm

I saw the first film on TV a couple or so years ago and really wasn't that fussed with it. I went to see the sequel on Friday as Mum wanted to see it. I really enjoyed it a lot more than I expected :D Will be wanting this one on DVD when it comes out perfect for a rainy/wintry afternoon. :D
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby Busybee » August 12th, 2018, 7:48 am

I think I may be in the minority after reading all the hype about MM2..............as expected loved the music but thought the film was pants. I used to think that Cher could act but as a result of all the cosmetic procedures she can’t move her face!

I quite liked the first film, have seen the stage version but sorry this instalment wasn’t for me.

On a side note the cinema was the busiest I have seen in years, the showing was probably three quarters full and this is a few weeks after it’s release.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 12th, 2018, 10:22 am

BB - DD, who loved the first one, said the same about Cher!
earthmaiden
Registered

Return to TV and Radio