Love Your Garden

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

Love Your Garden

Postby earthmaiden » July 25th, 2018, 8:19 am

I'm afraid I find Alan Titchmarsh slightly irritating but nevertheless thought I would watch this. A typical revamp someone's garden theme.

The lady whose garden was revamped was in her 90's with failing sight. The garden was problematic because it had to be tiered.

I was astonished to see masses of trellis and a summerhouse installed and painted along with the walls. The trellis and shed in my garden needs painting every year. Whilst most people need a bit of help with the garden at that age, it's going to be a mammoth task for someone to keep it nice. These programmes annoy me in that they rarely mention the upkeep which will be required with the landscaping and plants.
earthmaiden
Registered

Re: Love Your Garden

Postby StokeySue » July 25th, 2018, 9:38 am

I was going to watch that, but I thought it was today not yesterday, the Macular Society gave the heads up that it would be on as the lady is a volunteer. I’ll look on itv hub

Not sure why a shed would need painting every year? Never felt the need to do that to mine :D I
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 25th, 2018, 10:13 am

I painted my fences and shed door when I first moved in my house in 2001 … they are only just looking their age now ….. :?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 26th, 2018, 2:21 pm

Hmm, I have watched it now
Certainly an improvement, but why go for something as high maintenance as topiary?

What worries me is that I can't find any credit for an occupational therapist, Macular Society counsellor or other expert on living with low vision. The absolutely essential handrails for the new steps looked like a late afterthoought, any expert would have made sure some were incoporated into the original design, hopefully less hideous ones. There was far too much white paint and white hard landscaping, white isn't as helpful as most fully sighted people assume, since it increases glare more than it increases available light, which is a real problem. Thank heavens Katie broke it up with the soft lavender.

If they are going to do these programmes about helping people with disabity it would be great if they would showcase the professionals who provide support every day (cf. Big Build) instead of giving the impression that anyone can make it up as they go along, because they really can't.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 26th, 2018, 2:32 pm

My woodwork obviously goes in for a battering!

Was interested to hear your opinion Sue. The first thing the lady asked was to be taken up the steps which suggests she would never try them alone. If they could have dug out more soil from the first level they could have made a nice shady seating area on the flat area outside the door which I think she would have braved. Also, the area where the chair and table was put was very narrow and a chair could easily have overbalanced onto the flower bed. It felt just like those earlier programmes from which Titchmarsh made his name where they plonked down decking and a few flowers in a hurry. I didn't think they really followed the brief the lady had set.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 26th, 2018, 2:56 pm

Would it not have been possible for the garden to feature more slopes rather than steps? I'd hate to have to tackle those steps at my age! Must have been a reason I guess.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 26th, 2018, 2:57 pm

I think they might have been a bit steep.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 26th, 2018, 3:04 pm

The other thing about the steps was varied height and depth,a complete no-no for any visual impairment, I can genuinely run up steps on the underground because they are always consistent in shape and size within a flight, so my legs can learn a cadence. They also now have those neon bright double level rails - good for holding on to, but also as a visual guide for people like me, makes the steepness of the steps obvious :luv:

I think Betty would be unstable on a slope, she specified she disliked ramps
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 26th, 2018, 6:35 pm

Ah, I missed the comment on ramps.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Return to TV and Radio