GBBO 2018

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

Re: GBBO 2018

Postby dennispc » October 20th, 2018, 6:15 pm

Watched lunch time. Unfortunately I didn't have the remote! :rolleyes: :lol:
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 23rd, 2018, 8:43 pm

Well, they should all have had their mille feuilles eliminated

Mille feuilles are made by allowing puff to rise then splitting the layers as you would for a sponge gateau

Restricting the rise by weighing the pastry down with a baking sheet should not have been accepted by the judges

Don’t think it would have made a difference to the result
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 23rd, 2018, 9:33 pm

Have dishes been eliminated in the past Sue?

I agree, it would have made no difference to the end decision.

I thought PH was particularly rude tonight. No need to be so insulting I thought!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 24th, 2018, 5:17 am

TeresaFoodie wrote:I thought PH was particularly rude tonight

I agree.
I do not mind who wins as long as it is not Kim Joy, I am beginning to hate all those cutesy animals.
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 29th, 2018, 9:08 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:
TeresaFoodie wrote: wrote:I thought PH was particularly rude tonight

I agree.I do not mind who wins as long as it is not Kim Joy, I am beginning to hate all those cutesy animals.

I agree totally Moira…

I think I might have mentioned on the FB group, that Canada has their own version of Bake Off … much the same formula, a PH lookalike (a French pastry chef ?) but a much younger version of Prue … and funny to see that they also have the same problem with baking in a baking hot tent ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 30th, 2018, 10:50 pm

Well, it’s over
Quite pleased with the result, but I didn’t feel the emotional involvement I did for Nadiya’s wedding cake.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby aero280 » October 30th, 2018, 11:18 pm

The final was very technical, and a bit boring. I felt there ought to have been more of a show. A real showstopper.

I also feel that some of the more complex bakes should be allowed a whole lot more time, so that they aren't rushing all the time. That would be a better assessment of ability, rather than penalise the good bakers who got unlucky. The result shold not depend on luck.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 31st, 2018, 12:27 am

I was happy with the result tonight, a very deserved win, and I have to agree with everything you have said Will. There has been a sense of unfairness throughout. And I wish they wouldn't play with the viewers minds by focussing on slip ups to make the audience think that person now has no chance of winning, then they do! It might add to the suspense but it might just be irritating too. I'd far rather see the judges really focussing on how well someone did to rectify a mistake or how they overcome the heat in the tent than do the dramatic 'oh my, shock, horror, oh no!' thing with everyone looking as if the end of the world has come. You don't get that in watercolour challenge/portrait artist shows, I don't think from what I have seen. Cookery, especially baking sometimes, is an art and needs a bit more respect, I think. It's probably the only reason I might not watch the next one, although I thought they did well not to hang on to the moment that the winner was announced for an over-milking length of time.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » October 31st, 2018, 1:29 am

i was underwhelmed by the challenges. was the technical, technically, a bake?
i was happy with the winner. to me the main thing is the taste rather than all the sugary decoration and he was consistently good on flavours.
i don't get cupcakes for that reason - huge amounts of sweet goo on top of a bland cake - yeuk.
TeresaFoodie wrote: You don't get that in watercolour challenge

now there's a programme i wish they'd bring back.
scullion
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 31st, 2018, 6:35 am

The technical belonged on MasterChef, bakers do not usually make Baba Ghanoush.
Announcing the result was milked for suspense, unnecessary
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 31st, 2018, 9:12 am

I too thought it was an odd tech
Making them work with fire as a challenge though perhaps not for the final, and the dips seemed to be a large part of it.
I was surprised at first that none of them knew the technique of fire roasting veg, but perhaps not those three, I bet Briony and Dan would have known.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby dennispc » October 31st, 2018, 9:32 am

Showstopper, 'looked like the plasticine table in a primary school were a kid with dirty hands had got the colours mixed up', someone post online - I thought the final was poor.

Agree with Teresa, no longer a baking show but edited for dramatic TV effect.

Unfairness throughout, definitely.

At some point in the series PH described Dan as the best baker he'd seen in the tent. Says it all really.

Just a thought, we're all very careful not to create spoilers for those who use catch up, but the thread title is clear what it's about. Best not click on it. :D
dennispc
Registered

Postby dennispc » October 31st, 2018, 9:44 am

One thing I did like, so many of them now meeting up as friends to bake, chat and have the odd glass. :tu:
dennispc
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 31st, 2018, 12:00 pm

I haven't watched it yet, was hoping for no spoilers, but spotted it ! ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 31st, 2018, 1:19 pm

I'm afraid I thought it was a very poor ending, I'felt all along that the eventual winner, although a fair enough baker , played far too much on his so-called nerves and lack of confidence. If he really was that lacking on confidence he wouldn;t have enetred in the first place.

as for the goings on outside. It was more like Big Brother. I shna't be watching next year.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby scullion » October 31st, 2018, 4:29 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:I haven't watched it yet, was hoping for no spoilers, but spotted it ! ;)

i am so, so sorry, patsy, i just didn't stop to think. i would have been really peed off if someone had done it to me, i'm mortified.
i'm putting the book down the back of my trousers as i type!
scullion
Registered

Postby Busybee » October 31st, 2018, 5:16 pm

I felt that the final technical challenge was more a test of camping skills, dealing with an open fire etc.

I really wanted Kin Joy to win but I do think she threw her lead away with a one dimensional show stopper, having said that I don’t think any of them were particularly good showstoppers.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 31st, 2018, 8:21 pm

Just caught up with it (purposely avoided the thread today and managed to turn the car radio off in time when it was about to be discussed!).

My feelings are much the same as those of others. I would like to see either more time to complete a challenge well or less complex challenges. To expect people to work with chocolate, butter icing etc. in a tent in a heatwave was cruel. No allowances seemed to be made.

I really didn't have an inkling who the winner would be, each seemed to excel at certain aspects and not others. Maybe the producers will see some of the negative aspects as well and think carefully about the direction the show goes. I thought the fire was quite fun but agree that all those dips weren't really baking.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » October 31st, 2018, 8:29 pm

IMHO the challenges are getting more and more rediculous. The end results look pretty poor a lot of the time. I'd far rather they went back to things such as a spectacular 3 tier cake made really well than "a landscape" that looked rubbish. I'm sure the bakers are far better than the end result appears.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 31st, 2018, 9:25 pm

I don’t understand why they can’t recycle challenges, why it always has to be different? Great British Menu is stuck with the same four courses every banquet, but each heat is quite different in practice. It could be a repeat challenge with a twist - last year a birthday cake, this year an engagement cake or something.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 31st, 2018, 9:57 pm

Quite. To produce a classic recipe flawlessly is an art and a delight for people to see.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 1st, 2018, 12:14 am

I did wonder also, if any of the three finalists had ever attempted a landscape bake before. I've watched some American programmes where professional bakers clearly have, and they can be spectacular. A home baker is just not going to have that experience behind them, even if they madly practised beforehand, and it showed.

I was praying that the final show stopper would be a croquembouche, possibly with a never seen before twist. Alas.... :sad:

I wonder what will now become of Rahul. :luv:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 1st, 2018, 9:08 am

scullion wrote:i am so, so sorry, patsy, i just didn't stop to think. i would have been really peed off if someone had done it to me, i'm mortified. i'm putting the book down the back of my trousers as i type!

No worries Scully … there was something on social media too, so if not you, it would have been by other means … ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » November 2nd, 2018, 9:53 am

I have pondered this for a while, it leaves me feeling slightly uncomfortable. Why should a glass jar explode at room temperature? if it took 15 minutes to clear up, but items that had taken time to prepare had to be discarded for fear of contamination, why was 15 minutes a suitable amount of time to add on? It smacks of contrived jeopardy. The judging comments made during the show (indeed, throughout the series) didn't necessarily accord with subsequent decisions. The first two challenges weren't really baking and two of the final showstoppers looked very poor. A well-flavoured mess was enough to get people eliminated in some rounds but not others. Of course it's subjective and we don't get to taste it but I have wondered a few times if the result always reflected the performance.

I suppose the important thing is to remember that it's just a telly show, rather than a serious contest between Britain's best home bakers. Everyone who gets selected for the show, especially if they stay a few weeks, has got the exposure and opportunity to make a few bob out of their fifteen minutes.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 2nd, 2018, 10:08 am

I think this series has exposed some real continuity errors in the editing. Not good.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 2nd, 2018, 10:15 am

Well said Badgers mate.

I would love to know what the temperature was on the worst days. They are in a marquee and some summer weather was hot. It could have been sweltering and they certainly made it look that way, something that made me cross when they were expected to use ingredients such as chocolate. I don't know what was in the jar but it certainly shattered well.

I hope that producers and challenge-setters learn something. If we can see how sad it has become then maybe they will as well.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby dennispc » November 2nd, 2018, 12:20 pm

Like you earthmaiden I hope the producers learn, but as long as people keep watching nothing will change.

Let's give the bakers a real challenge. When they lift the cloth, the piece of paper will say, 'make a maderia cake, packets of ingredients in store cupboard or fridge.'

Apparently, there's a National Cake Decorating event going on today - comments from real cake decorators would be interesting. Our shop sold cake decorating stuff (sugar craft) and we had people who took orders to make cakes. None of those cakes would've been let out our door.
dennispc
Registered

Previous

Return to TV and Radio