Vanity Fair ...

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

Vanity Fair ...

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 4th, 2018, 9:21 am

Liked it or not ?

I have to admit there is a big gap in my reading knowledge as I have never felt the need (or interest) to turn to the classics.. that includes Dickens, Shakespeare, Brontes etc ….

So, I thought it was about time I got educated and watched the first episode of this new production on Sunday .. … Oh dear, is it me that thought it was a load of tripe ? ;) :( :? :rolleyes: :td:

Now Bodyguard is another kettle of fish ;) :shock: :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Re: Vanity Fair ...

Postby cyprusmoira » September 4th, 2018, 10:01 am

We are watching both but not at the same time :lol:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 4th, 2018, 10:17 am

I meant to watch Vanity Fair but forgot. I have read the book and it’s quite subtle in ways I doubt you could dramatise. It’s one of those books where the author tells you what people are thinking and what their motives are, this doesn’t always come across.

I watched the first Bodyguard and might catch up. Some amusement from Samira Ahmed about the gratuitous shirt removal, apparently make up dept for all news progs have rails of spare tops and jackets as they are often needed. Also, surely accompanying the Home Sec to her flat without casing the joint first was dereliction of duty? The whole train sequence was great though. :tu:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Busybee » September 4th, 2018, 12:04 pm

I thought the opposite, thought the first episode of the Bodyguard was rubbish, but all the critics and papers were wowed by it, so I thought I should give it another go........I enjoyed the subsequent episodes and will continue with it but I still think it’s over hyped.

Vanity Fair, recorded it and watched both episodes back to back, thoroughly enjoyed it, and loved the modern music in it. Thought Martin Clunes played a blinder.

So, I think they are both watchable. Wanderlust which starts tonight has been hyped to death, I wonder what it will be like?

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 4th, 2018, 12:23 pm

Couldn't be doing with Bodyguard ... the first episode was rubbish Bb, I quite agree. I've not bothered with it since. I enjoyed reading Vanity Fair years and years ago so we're recording it ... I've often thought that it has a lot of scope for a good tv production ... I've a feeling it'll be more to our taste.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Suelle » September 4th, 2018, 3:26 pm

I thought the Bodyguard was doing OK, until they went to bed together. Surely someone can write a strong story without sex! This particular storyline certainly doesn't need sex - there's still enough drama and intrigue going on without it.

Like Patsy, I've got no interest in the classics, so don't normally watch costume drama. Quite happy to do without Vanity Fair.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 4th, 2018, 4:52 pm

On a similar theme (or not ;) ) I really enjoy 'Upstart Crow' :tu: :tu: :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Suelle » September 4th, 2018, 4:57 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:On a similar theme (or not ;) ) I really enjoy 'Upstart Crow' :tu: :tu: :tu:

Me too - I like the way they manage to get modern sociological themes, such as travel problems and feminism, into Elizabethan/Shakespearean jokes.

I've always liked Ben Elton as a writer and comedian, although I went through a period of thinking he'd sold out to the 'establishment' - I think he did a Royal Variety Performance, or something similar, which no self-respecting alternative comic would think of doing at that time.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 4th, 2018, 5:01 pm

Suelle wrote:I thought the Bodyguard was doing OK, until they went to bed together. Surely someone can write a strong story without sex! This particular storyline certainly doesn't need sex - there's still enough drama and intrigue going on without it.

But in this case, I do think they need sex as that brings a different dimension to their relationship - neither of them seems to trust the other entirely, but when will their heads start overruling their lust ?
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » September 4th, 2018, 7:21 pm

I agree , I think their personal relationship will test their political opinions and vice versa. I think Keeley Hawes is fantastic in pretty much everything she does .
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 4th, 2018, 9:46 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:On a similar theme (or not ;) ) I really enjoy 'Upstart Crow' :tu: :tu: :tu:

Same here :tu:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby KC2 » September 4th, 2018, 10:34 pm

Well, we caught up on parts 1 and 2 of VF this evening. Neither of us had read it and we weren't sure whether to stick with it but it's worth it for Frances de la Tour!!

We're enjoying Bodyguard. Keeley Hawes is excellent and there are some good lines.
KC2
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 5th, 2018, 5:15 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:On a similar theme (or not ) I really enjoy 'Upstart Crow

We have enjoyed Upstart Crow from the beginning, a slight acquaintance with the plots of Shakespeare's helps. I am not sure about B Elton recycling his transport routines.
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 5th, 2018, 7:31 am

I’m a huge fan of Frances de la Tour ... I saw her once on the street in Norwich when she was in a play here. I didn’t know whether to curtesy or hug her ... in the event I did neither and gave her a huge grin ... she grinned back and winked at me :kneel: :luv:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 5th, 2018, 8:11 am

Yes, Martin Clunes and Frances de la Tour could do it for me … I just don't know if I can handle the other characters though ;) :rolleyes:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 8th, 2018, 1:08 pm

Huge ly enjoying both Bodyguard because of the intigue and the writing - we are fans od Line of Duty. I just hope the same fate doesn't befall Richard Madden as did the character he played in Game of Thrones!

I am enjoying the modern twist they have added to Vanity Fair. It is, after all a rather modern story. One I read when I was quite young. I had a cousin at the same school. she was in the 6th form when i went and doing Eng Lit and she was so enthusiastic she used to encourage and help me read things which I would never have known about. Everything from Mrs Gaskell. to Thoms Hardy and Middlemarch. All of which I return to regularly. She used to explain bits I was puzzled over and, as she was not a teacher I listened !!
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 11th, 2018, 5:12 am

Has anyone else noticed the troupe of six/ eight soldiers who keep marching across the background?
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 11th, 2018, 10:05 am

Yes, I did in the first episode .. :? The producers must be getting their money's worth out of the extras .. :lol: :lol: :lol:

My hairdresser friend had a part in last night's new thriller ' Strangers' so we were all told to look out for her. Whilst most of it is filmed/set in Hong Kong, some scenes were filmed in the UK. On her day of filming she was asked to be available for 6.30 am for make up and hairstyling … Her scene was the one (for those who watched it) where the male lead storms into a (Hotel?) bar and smashes a mobile phone on the counter. He walks in and straight past my friend who is seated at a table - with her back to the camera - and was on screen for all of 10 seconds ! ;) :lol: 8-) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Busybee » September 11th, 2018, 11:36 am

I did watch Strangers last night, I’m a sucker for anything with John Simm in it. I think it has potential.

Frances de La Tour and Martin Clunes continue to impress in Vanity Fair. OH has just informed me that the general consensus at the golf club is that Keeley Hawes hasn’t been killed in the Bodyguard and it’s all a conspiracy........you heard it here first! :lol:

I don’t agree, Jed Mercuro has form in killing off leading characters, no matter how big the ‘ name ‘.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby KC2 » September 11th, 2018, 2:26 pm

Busybee wrote:
Frances de La Tour and Martin Clunes continue to impress in Vanity Fair. OH has just informed me that the general consensus at the golf club is that Keeley Hawes hasn’t been killed in the Bodyguard and it’s all a conspiracy........you heard it here first! :lol:

I don’t agree, Jed Mercuro has form in killing off leading characters, no matter how big the ‘ name ‘.

BB

:lol: BB!
The latest Radio Times is full of it, starting with the front cover and including an interview with Mercurio ...
KC2
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 18th, 2018, 7:58 am

I am debating whether to stay up for the last episode of Bodyguard, it is 75 minutes and will finish after midnight here.
Those soldiers were marching to greater purpose on Vanity Fair. Why were they using Borodin as background music?

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 18th, 2018, 8:41 am

cyprusmoira wrote:Why were they using Borodin as background music?

Probably referring to 'Kismet' ... 'and this is my beloved' ... ?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 18th, 2018, 9:24 am

suffolk wrote:robably referring to 'Kismet' ... 'and this is my beloved' ... ?

Yes, but why? Plenty of other contemporary relevant music around
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 18th, 2018, 10:03 am

Irony?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Return to TV and Radio