Christmas 2018 TV and Radio

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

Christmas 2018 TV and Radio

Postby StokeySue » December 21st, 2018, 5:30 pm

OK, so what are we looking forward to? What should I set on my various devices?

I feel it starts tonight with Lucy Worsley (and Annie Gray) doing Victoria and Albert's Wedding on BBC 2 at 20.30

Then there is another Mark Gatiss classic ghost story, the Dead Room at 22.00 on Christmas Eve

There's the Boxing Day Agatha Christie, this year the ABC Murders

Doctor Who on New Year's Day

Spy in the Snow on 30th December

S'pose I'll give Le Miserable a go

There must be things on ITV and C4 I've missed, it can't be a black hole, can it? Think I'll get a Saturday or Sunday Paper and see of I can read the holiday TV guide.

If you haven't been following The Curious Cases of Rutherford and Fry on R4 then last week they looked at Good Bad Food and the next one is about drink (but already on iPlayer / Sounds

What else?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Re: Christmas 2018 TV and Radio

Postby Suelle » December 21st, 2018, 5:41 pm

Things don't seem very good this year - much worse than usual. Apart from waiting until the New Year for Dr Who, the only thing that's caught my attention is the Agatha Christie. I don't usually watch Poirot, but I'm interested in seeing how Malkovich handles the role, as there's been so much criticism already.

There's an Upstart Crow special - corny but good for a laugh!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 21st, 2018, 7:34 pm

I've earmarked Chris (Packham) & Michaela (Strachan) - Under the Christmas Sky; Only Connect; Bad Move (itv); The Yorkshire Vet at Christmas and The Queen and I (on Sky One) adapted from Sue Townsend's book.. for Christmas Eve.

On the day, I will be in the company of a 7 year old for most of the day, so, The Jungle Book and Zog and BBC1 for most of the rest of the evening.

Agatha Christie will feature on Boxing Day and also just found Detectorists Christmas Special on BBC4 at 10 pm
Last edited by PatsyMFagan on December 22nd, 2018, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 21st, 2018, 7:38 pm

AS long as it is the 9 lessons and carols on Christmas Eve I really don't care. We may well play silly games on the 24th and watch a new DVD on the 25th. I wish there were more family mambers to play board games or charades which was how we always used to entertain ourselves at this time of year.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 21st, 2018, 10:18 pm

I have only just opened my Christmas Radio Times. I am aware of the Torvill and Dean biopic on the big day. Not sure I will get a look in what with sharing my Christmas day space with a ten and a fifteen year old. I'll have to go through the TV guide in depth before Monday. I'll read your comments with interest.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 21st, 2018, 11:10 pm

IF YOU ARE WITH VIRGIN
I wondered why my Virgin V6 box hadn’t recorded a new Christmas special
It’s because it was set to record the series from Channel 162 BBC 2 HD which no longer exists and it wasn’t picking up from the new spot on Channel 102.
I’m really angry, so unnecessary
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 22nd, 2018, 10:31 am

I haven't even seen Christmas programme guide.I have found in the past few years that there have been a few gems hidden away on the days after Christmas. I just look at the guide on the TV these days and record anything I like the look of on the day or select the series if that looks good.

Sue, that's awful. I'm with Virgin but have never looked at the numbers or recorded in advance using them. I think I tried once and lost the will .... I expect it's easy when you get used to it :lol:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 22nd, 2018, 10:49 am

StokeySue wrote:I wondered why my Virgin V6 box hadn’t recorded a new Christmas special

what Christmas special was that Sue ? Mock the Week ?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 22nd, 2018, 11:08 am

Just a thought, will it be available on catch up?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 22nd, 2018, 11:25 am

Yes, it was Mock the Week, which wasn’t actually very special when I found it on ketchup TV, just best bits, not a real special

But they should have told us to check our series links (all relocated channels, not just BBC 2 of course) and as usual they just couldn’t be bothered

I Tweeted them.

Was slightly disappointed with Victoria and Albert, I enjoyed it but I wanted more practical detail of how and a bit less of the political why, personally.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Busybee » December 22nd, 2018, 11:41 am

I started to watch Victoria and Albert but it didn’t really hook me and I drifted away. I have got it recorded and may watch again if I’m in the right kind of mood.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » December 22nd, 2018, 2:14 pm

I'm sure there's a Gordon Buchanan wildlife thing on sometime.
Let me investigate...
I usually enjoy his stuff.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » December 22nd, 2018, 2:18 pm

Maybe it's in the new year.
I have spotted MasterChef Professionals Rematch, Thursday BBC 2 at 8pm though :D
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 22nd, 2018, 2:57 pm

The Gordon Buchanan thing is Grizzly Bear Cubs and Me, already started on BBC 1

It’s on iPlayer
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bw55dz/grizzly-bear-cubs-and-me-series-1-episode-1
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 22nd, 2018, 7:40 pm

StokeySue wrote:Was slightly disappointed with Victoria and Albert, I enjoyed it but I wanted more practical detail of how and a bit less of the political why, personally.

Busybee wrote:I started to watch Victoria and Albert but it didn’t really hook me and I drifted away

I drifted right off to sleep :rolleyes: I have just caught up on the last 30 minutes ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 22nd, 2018, 7:42 pm

I was looking forward to the re-make of Watership Down, but can't get into it :( Now waiting for the first of two Midsomer Murders on ITV3+1 :rolleyes:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 22nd, 2018, 10:05 pm

I've looked all through the guide on the TV until New Year's Day and bookmarked very little. I have Only Connect recorded automatically anyway. There are a couple of old films I may or may not watch and a couple of other things but everything else I can take or leave.

I have seen just about all the Midsomer Murders so many times that I can remember them as soon as they start - so they're not a great mystery!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 23rd, 2018, 6:23 am

We caught The Lone Ranger film last night (by mistake) there were some great action scenes....

Going back to Family Fun/games. When we went to Bath last week and were having lunch at The Raven, there was a table of 10 next to us and they were playing a card game. We ended up asking what they were playing and found out it was called 'Take 6' (Nimmt) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6_Nimmt! We shall have to keep an eye out for it. Perhaps Uschi can throw some light on it ??
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 23rd, 2018, 8:34 pm

Against my better judgement, I am going to watch Tom Cruise in the second Jack Reacher film tonight. I haven't seen the first, as Tom Cruise is hopelessly miscast, but there's nothing else I want to watch.

PS - they're turning Reacher into a TV series, and are looking for a more suitable actor!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby patpoyntz » December 23rd, 2018, 11:49 pm

We discovered a new (to us) freeview channel last night....Paramount network. It says it’s channel 57, but on our tv, it’s number 55. Anyway it seems to show some decent films, and we watched one of our favourites, ‘The Fabulous Baker Boys’, and also recorded Groundhog Day, which we watched tonight.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 24th, 2018, 12:43 am

I got the Observer
They recommend Click and Collect 21.00 Christmas Eve, BBC 1 with Stephen Merchant and Asim Chaudhry from People Just Do Nothing
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 24th, 2018, 1:51 pm

StokeySue wrote:They recommend Click and Collect 21.00 Christmas Eve, BBC 1 with Stephen Merchant and Asim Chaudhry from People Just Do Nothing

that's on my viewing list too ...currently watching Romeo and Juliet on BBC2
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 24th, 2018, 11:09 pm

Mr. Z has recorded that one Patsy, although he has seen it before.... We caught click and collect - quite good I thought.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 26th, 2018, 1:01 pm

The Archers. For fans an hour's proramme in the Saturday drama spot (2-30-3.30) this week and second part next week of Cantibury Tales.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 26th, 2018, 1:03 pm

I've been disappointed with TV so far but will definitely be watching the Masterchef programme tomorrow night though. Eastenders was pretty good last night. Top class acting I thought. We watched the Great British Bake Off Christmas last night. Not bad. Quite often, Christmas in a crowd leads to majority rules with the TV. Currently enduring a programme about musicals because it's my mum's favourite and she's doing lunch. Plus, it's her telly. :grin:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 27th, 2018, 8:18 am

Thoroughly enjoyed watching Saving Mr Banks again.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 27th, 2018, 8:56 am

I'm not too sure about the Agatha Christie adaptation. Was Poirot a washed out has-been in the book, or has that been one of the changes? It's all very dark and jumps about a lot, and if you're not watching the screen when a bit of writing comes up, you miss something essential.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » December 27th, 2018, 9:38 am

Really not watched much and have read/seen Agatha Christie's so many times I find it a bit dull when I know whodunit from the start even if it is a new adaptation.

I watched Click and Collect from the recommendations here. I found it almost excruciating to start with and nearly gave up but it got better and better and am glad I stuck with it.

I have lots of old films waiting to be watched - if I want to!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 27th, 2018, 10:17 am

I thought the ABC Murders was a bit slow and appeared to be an attempt at Agatha Christie meets 10 Rillington Place. I was hoping for something more actually entertaining.m

On radio 4 I found something called Gut Instinct: a Social History. Tim Hayward talking about the gut
Finding it very good though might be a bit biological for some. One episode a day this week and on catch-up
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 27th, 2018, 11:50 am

My dad talked me into watching the ABC Murders last night. I lasted ten minutes, and when I spoke to him on the phone this morning, so did he. Very slooooooooooow. Actually I think it probably set me up for a good sleep!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 27th, 2018, 1:02 pm

I too found the ABC murders too ponderous - Liking the Maigret Christmas story on Radio 4 much better. Also, like Sue enjoying Gut Instinct. I really am a listener rather than a watcher though last night we watched the first episode of one of my Christmas pressies The Crown part 2,

I'll watch Masterchef tonight no matter how many grumbles there are from Mr R . he can go and play chess with someone in Outer Mongolia if necessary.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 27th, 2018, 3:07 pm

Forgot to say, if you decided you were too old for Zog on Christmas Day, you may well have been wrong
Loved it
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » December 28th, 2018, 5:47 am

All I can say is I'm glad I had recorded a fair amount especially as I came down with a cold so couldn't get out and about.

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby Lokelani » December 29th, 2018, 7:03 pm

Also didn't enjoy The ABC Murders, it was so dark & just rather miserable. Neither of us liked JM in the role of Poirot either. We normally love all versions of Poirot, Maigret, Sherlock etc. It's funny to think of murder mysteries as having light or humour, but they do somehow, & are normally just so much more stylish than that one. It was just rather depressing.
So far it's been the favourites from other years - Christmas Carol, Wonderful life etc. that have warmed our hearts this year. I have recorded From Time to Time by Julian Fellowes with Maggie Smith in. I think this is a film that I watched years ago that stayed with me in a ghost/fantasy film type way, but not scary. If it is the one I think it is I'm looking forward to watching that again. The Dead room was deemed too scary before it had even really got started, I just didn't fancy sleepless nights!
Lokelani
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 30th, 2018, 7:18 am

The ABC murders was disappointing, too long, too dark.
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby aero280 » December 30th, 2018, 10:35 am

Looked at the schedules and decided it was another run of bland stuff that the broadcasters could put on auto play for a week while they went off on holiday for Christmas and the New Year. Could be the same tape they ran last year? Would anyone notice? Or care?

So I renewed my library books. Once this cold has subsided, I can get on with doing stuff in the aftermath of the builders, like hanging curtain rails...
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » December 30th, 2018, 10:57 am

Thought I’d posted to say I quite enjoyed Rob Rinder’s review of the year on C4. He had good guests but some sections were too short, should have either dropped some or made 2x 1 hour programs

But I’d watch Rinder and Ed Balls over Andrew Neil and Portillo any day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 30th, 2018, 1:43 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:The ABC murders was disappointing, too long, too dark.

I did manage to watch it to the end, but only after having found the David Suchet version that was on ITV3 a few days ago .. an entirely different ambience, but it did clarify a few things .. the downside was knowing whodunit ! ;) :(
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » December 31st, 2018, 11:11 am

we watched the whole thing yesterday and i thought it was good.
not having watched the david suchet versions (or read the books) i had no preconceptions so maybe came at it from a different perspective to those who thought it was too grim.
i thought that rupert grint played his part very well.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 31st, 2018, 3:22 pm

scullion wrote:i thought that rupert grint played his part very well.

He was barely recognisable … the mark of a good actor. :tu
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Busybee » December 31st, 2018, 3:35 pm

I really enjoyed the ABC Murders, yes quite dark but soooooo stylish.

Have started watching Les Mis and as I have never seen or heard the musical version and don’t know the story I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the next episode.

I’m not sure we have watched much of anything else really.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 1st, 2019, 4:35 pm

HNY everyone!!

We enjoyed The Last Leg last night. Alex doing the double Luge or whatever it was called was a hoot! You wouldn't get me within 100 miles of it :lol: :lol: And Johnny Vegas was most entertaining! Richard Ayowade was good too.

Suelle wrote:I'm not too sure about the Agatha Christie adaptation. Was Poirot a washed out has-been in the book, or has that been one of the changes? It's all very dark and jumps about a lot, and if you're not watching the screen when a bit of writing comes up, you miss something essential.

Finished catching up on ABC as well, and we're also not sure about it, Suelle. We also wondered if Poirot was really such a sad has-been at the beginning of the book. Was a bit of a shock when Japp snuffed it right at the beginning - was it her last Poirot or did she just carry on without him?

We enjoyed the Masterchef reunion and were not surprised that Claire won, we felt she had the edge, creatively.

We have decided to give the new series of Luther a miss. Having been catching up on previous series we hadn't seen, we find it's all too violent and nasty and too many female victims. We find ourselves reading the subtitles with the sound on mute quite a bit when there are horrible torture-type scenes. On the other hand, Alice the psychopath is a great character, and as she's back we may find ourselves watching it despite our reservations!

Haven't started on Les Mis yet but am looking forward to it.

Other than that we've been playing a lot of Monopoly, Scrabble, and, new for OH and me, Settlers of Catan as both our young men have unusually been with us for Christmas. A friend has lent us Bananagrams and we're looking forward to giving that a go!
KC2
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 1st, 2019, 4:43 pm

I had to laugh at the BBC's constant reminders that this production of Les mis did not contain music or dancing!

The story has fascinated me for many years since Mr R tried to help me read it in French. It was bl***y hard work but I got through in the end and relaised what a brilliant story telelr Victor Hugo was. We were both fine with the first episode and he is madly in love with the beautiful Fantine. Lily Collins
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Suelle » January 10th, 2019, 9:26 am

I watched an old David Suchet (as Poirot) version of The ABC Murders last night. It's the first time I've watched one, and it was certainly very lightweight compared to the BBC Christmas version. :D
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » January 10th, 2019, 9:53 am

I did go back and finish the ABC Murders, the pace picked up in the second episode and in the end I thought that it was pretty good, but the atmosphere seemed more like Simenon than Christie. Very good cast, interesting to see Rupert Grint and Jack Farthing cast against type and doing so well. Jury’s out on Malkovich’s Belgian accent but at least it was very consistent

I think the problem was expecting a bit of Christmas fluff and getting something more meaty
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Suelle » January 10th, 2019, 11:30 am

I agree, Sue - I was glad I stuck with it in the end.

I think Malkovich's accent was OK - there was a trace of something not English, but he'd been living in England a long time by then. That was a time when immigrants tried hard to assimilate, so an educated Belgian would want to speak English as well as possible.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » January 10th, 2019, 11:55 am

I thought the accent was quite strong - my consideration was whether it was Belgian French!

No, my mother lived in the same house as her Spanish granny for a while as a child in the 20s - 30s and learned not a word of the language, it simply wasn’t part of the way the family presented themselves to be foreign
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Suelle » January 10th, 2019, 12:05 pm

StokeySue wrote:I thought the accent was quite strong - my consideration was whether it was Belgian French!

No, my mother lived in the same house as her Spanish granny for a while as a child in the 20s - 30s and learned not a word of the language, it simply wasn’t part of the way the family presented themselves to be foreign

My husband's parents spoke Czechoslovakian (as it was then) as their native language, and even though their English wasn't very good at the time, they only spoke English in front of the children. He often wondered if his career path would have been different if he had learnt Czech as a child.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » January 10th, 2019, 12:20 pm

I think it’s difficult to balance
In the case of great grandma of course she had nobody to speak to in Spanish - she would have had to teach someone
We have schools round here where there are children with maybe 20 different mother tongues and it’s hard for both children and teachers if they arrive without basic English as well, it if they don’t speak the mother tongue they are cut off from relatives and culture, and of course growing up bilingual is actually good for intellectual development

I had Colombian neighbours for a while, and she worked hard to get her tot fully bilingual, and it was hard work as her English was fairly basic - though the bonus was hers improved as he learned. They loved story telling sessions in the children’s library, which she found very useful
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to TV and Radio