The Victorian House - Arts and Crafts

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

The Victorian House - Arts and Crafts

Postby Busybee » January 12th, 2019, 4:25 pm

Watched this today on catch up, thought it was fabulous. Thoroughly enjoyed, I’m not able to comment on the art and craft displayed/created but I thought they showed some amazing skills and imagination.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Re: The Victorian House - Arts and Crafts

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 12th, 2019, 5:15 pm

I am loving it …. :tu: :tu: :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 12th, 2019, 5:56 pm

I saw some of it today. It struck me that we are ripe for another revival of this kind what with an increasingly jaded view of mass consumerism and Brexit. I wonder who the leaders would be (the Ruskin, Morris etc). Maybe there is such a movement - at one time we admired Conran, Heals etc but I am out of touch with who are the leaders now - people who upcycle probably. Obviously that's not the same as making beautiful and useful things from scratch but these are different times.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » January 12th, 2019, 8:09 pm

the problem is people's perception of what things are worth, what it cost's to make and how much a craftsman's time is worth. if someone can pick up a mug in 'the big swedish shop' or tesco for a couple of quid why would they pay twenty or more (often less) for a hand thrown one? - add on the gallery's commission (if one is used) and you've increased it by another 50%.
i've just had some kitchen units made by a local furniture maker. they've cost me three times what my son paid for a whole kitchen from wickes with fewer components and without the appliances - but i've got exactly what i want, made with solid wood and granite, and which will last me out ( and which can be moved and configured in a different way/building if i want).
i'm not sure joe public is prepared to spend on the hand crafted when they can get the one they admired in their friends for far cheaper, massed produced.
my dining table was made by my grandfather (a cabinet maker) who was born in the 1870's and died before i was born. i love it. i often wonder if there are any more of his around.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 12th, 2019, 8:19 pm

I am sure you are right Scullion. We have come to expect a lot for a little, even if the quality is not always high. Clothing (Primark, Sainsburys...) food too. The means of production is hidden from, or conveniently glossed over by the consumer.
Of course, one cannot assume that hand made = high quality, but consumers think it does, hence the over use of the term 'artisan' in eateries.

I suppose with day to day breakables, though, it would not make sense to spend a huge amount?

I am still angling for a Mouseman chair to go with my lovely tables :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Suelle » January 12th, 2019, 8:26 pm

I think you've made a valid point, scullion. Individual hand made pieces aren't for kitting out a whole house these days unless you are very rich - but I don't think they ever were, the Victorians who embraced Arts and Crafts were the richest ones too.

Craftspeople who take stalls at local fairs concentrate, for the main, on small pieces that people buy as gifts - they know people will pay a bit more for a single piece to give to someone else. They will buy one mug for £15 but couldn't possibly buy a set of 6, let alone a whole dinner service.

I really enjoyed the first programme - one of my favourite decorative arts eras. But I did wonder if future programmes are going to focus more on the clashes of personality, rather than the craft work.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Ratatouille » January 14th, 2019, 7:32 pm

I am loving it too. My uncle, a woodwork teacher and very skilled craftsman would have been a brilliant participant in the programme, I have several pieces of furniture he made for the family. He also did metal work and I have the most beautiful copper bowl and lid he made
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 1st, 2019, 9:24 pm

I’ve given up
I’m really interested in the design and crafts and I’d love to see what each maker could create to go into the house - I’m sitting in a room built in 1893 with a vaguely Arts and Crafts fireplace, though that’s a bit of architectural salvaged shoe-horned in later
BUT
Other than a BBC obsession I don’t see the point of the competitive element, it adds nothing. And as for the play psychology and the utterly childish “team-building” exercises, well they can just get lost. We’ve all wasted time on this kind of rubbish at work, I don’t need it as part of an arts programme I’m watching in my leisure time. I want to see the making, not the mucking about.

On the other hand, if Abdullah is available for adoption...
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Suelle » February 1st, 2019, 10:39 pm

I've stuck with it, and will watch the last episode tomorrow when it's repeated, but I think it's been spoilt by, like GBBO, not giving the participants enough time to do their best work.

Last week the fire dogs were criticised for being too crude and poorly finished in parts, but the judges acknowledged that there would have been months of work going into the set which was supposed to inspire the craftsman. He had a less than a week to make his. The same with the potter - he didn't have enough time to make more plates (although it was his own stupid fault that he lost so many) or test out his glazing recipes and techniques.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » February 2nd, 2019, 6:20 am

Although I’ve enjoyed some aspects of the series, a lot of it has annoyed me ... it’s been poorly envisaged and thought through and on the whole the competitive element means they’ve been set up to fail. It could have been
Interesting enough without the silliness which spoiled it for me.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 2nd, 2019, 9:40 am

I felt much the same :( I doubt that the 6 artists would have come together in real life - their personalities would have kept them apart. I felt sorry for the potter. I felt very much that he had been thrown in at the deep end - he really wasn't coping well with the enforced tasks. However I did love to see the finished pieces :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 2nd, 2019, 9:54 am

Actually the potter set off my alarm bells first
In episode 1 he made tiles for the fireplace and we never got a good look at them, because the competition and the Big Brother’s house aspects took priority. Then when he was given his big project it wasn’t even for ceramic, which seemed mean
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 2nd, 2019, 1:31 pm

StokeySue wrote:Actually the potter set off my alarm bells first
In episode 1 he made tiles for the fireplace and we never got a good look at them, because the competition and the Big Brother’s house aspects took priority. Then when he was given his big project it wasn’t even for ceramic, which seemed mean

Yes, exactly … :( :rolleyes:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Return to TV and Radio