Les Miserables

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

Les Miserables

Postby Ratatouille » January 24th, 2019, 2:20 pm

Is anyone else watching? It's too late for us to watch on Sunday nights. it needs a degree of concentration which is not possible when it's past my pumpkin time so we've been doing catch up this week and are captivated. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but the way in which such a complex story line is being handles is the BBC at it's best.

Mr R , who did is as part of his first degree, says that at last he has got it :lol: :lol:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Re: Les Miserables

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 24th, 2019, 6:37 pm

I am... and thoroughly enjoying it. Never having read the book, I can only compare this to the musical... not that there is any comparison at all really. This week's episode (that I have just watched) had me holding my breath …. :tu: :scared:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 24th, 2019, 6:41 pm

We're enjoying it too - never read it or seen the musical. Dominic West is excellent and David Oyelowo is truly one possessed! Lily Collins was good as she played Fantine's desperate fall, poor girl.
KC2
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 24th, 2019, 6:42 pm

I have recorded but not so far watched
I'm a bit wary because of hating the musical so much, but I appreciate that's not logical [captain]
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 24th, 2019, 6:46 pm

Sue, I can empathise as I dislike most musicals - says the person who played in Evita for many years :lol: :lol: :lol:
KC2
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 24th, 2019, 6:54 pm

KC2 wrote:Sue, I can empathise as I hate all musicals - says the person who played in Evita for many years :lol: :lol: :lol:

A large part of my dislike stems from having known a lot of the original musicians for miserables (as they called it), their low opinion rubbed off, and one of them did give me his cassette copy of the original cast recording :sprout: (he kept the vinyl of course as likely to appreciate in value)

I wonder if you were in Evita when I saw it? I saw a matinee with the alternative Evita, not Paige, but Susan someone I think, loved David Essex, not sure why anyone ever cast Acland in a singing role
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 24th, 2019, 7:23 pm

StokeySue wrote:I have recorded but not so far watched
I'm a bit wary because of hating the musical so much, but I appreciate that's not logical [captain]

This production is a million miles away from the musical - which, by the way I absolutely love :oops: ( I worked with a lady who's son was part of the production team and was one of Cameron Macintoshes 'special' friends, so have seen it more than once ) I just love the singing and the songs ... No reason why you shouldn't love this version Sue ... it has actually helped put the musical story into some context. :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 24th, 2019, 7:25 pm

Now that is interesting., but I know nothing about Evita except that we had an incredibly talemted student at the school where Mr R taughtt who sang Don't Cry for Me like and angel!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 25th, 2019, 10:35 am

StokeySue wrote:
KC2 wrote:
I wonder if you were in Evita when I saw it? I saw a matinee with the alternative Evita, not Paige, but Susan someone I think, loved David Essex, not sure why anyone ever cast Acland in a singing role

I played in it from the beginning with the original cast in 1978, for about 2 years or so, so if you can work out which year you went, Sue, I may well have been!!
KC2
Registered

Postby scullion » January 25th, 2019, 10:45 am

i'm recording it - for a binge when the weather dictates the necessity for a day by the stove (along with quite a few other series').
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 25th, 2019, 11:02 am

I saw Evita either end of 78 or early 79 :wave:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » January 25th, 2019, 11:47 am

I saw Evita in August 79, whilst on a training course in London.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 25th, 2019, 9:09 pm

StokeySue wrote:I saw Evita either end of 78 or early 79 :wave:

WWordsworth wrote:I saw Evita in August 79, whilst on a training course in London.

:wave: :wave: :D :D
KC2
Registered

Postby dennispc » January 30th, 2019, 9:50 am

Les Mis TV, very good, at times excellent.

Film, dreadful.

Stage Musical - OK, though it did inspire me to produce some abstract paintings based on Red and Black.

The book. Tedious, though good writing.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 30th, 2019, 3:38 pm

I can't see it without thinking of the umpteen times Americans trooped into the shop where I was working, and asked where "lays Miserables (pronounced like 'miserable' English-style, with an 's' on the end) was. The shop was opposite the Palace Theatre, Cambridge Circus (no. 84, Charing Cross Road.) I think the musical had been running for two years at this point.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 30th, 2019, 4:39 pm

Haven't started watching yet
Got distracted by the box set of Killing Eve, I can see why Sandra Oh is cleaning up on the acting awards, she is fantastic
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to TV and Radio