Dispatches - The truth about Chlorinated chicken

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

Dispatches - The truth about Chlorinated chicken

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 6th, 2019, 6:34 pm

I found myself watching this last night (well at 4am) ….. If I didn't know better I would have thought I was having a nightmare ..

:scared: :scared: :scared:

- Unbelievable practices that are allowed in the US - Heaven help us if we ever have to accept this into our food chain

:terrified: :terrified: :terrified:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Re: Dispatches - The truth about Chlorinated chicken

Postby Herbidacious » June 6th, 2019, 7:10 pm

Weren't they talking about us having American eggs post Brexit?
And just a reminder about what they do to them:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/0 ... 03941.html
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 7th, 2019, 7:46 am

Strange that they advocate/regulate hygiene practices associated with eggs, but not with chicken. :?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 7th, 2019, 8:31 am

All American eggs have to be kept in the fridge - which as anyone who keeps chickens will tell you is a no-no. When dd lived in the states she only every bought organic food. Not so easy if you want to eat out.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 7th, 2019, 2:34 pm

I think Herbi's link explains the rationale behind eggs in the US being 'frigerated … I only buy organic eggs and never keep them in the fridge … no room for one thing ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 7th, 2019, 3:32 pm

Repeating myself
US eggs must be refrigerated both in the supply chain and at home because having been washed the are no longer “sealed”and bacteria can get in.

In the UK they are not refrigerated in the supply chain, as they are not washed this is fine, and there is a risk of condensation making the surface “sweaty” and so encouraging bacterial growth on the shell if the eggs are chilled then re-warmed
However the UK Foods Standards Agency does recommend keeping eggs in the fridge in the original box when you get them home, as this gives the least chance of either condensation or bacterial growth.

I have no idea where the common idea that eggs must never be refrigerated comes from, but it is not true according to the experts paid for out of our taxes. It possibly comes from advice to farmers, not relevant to domestic storage.

My kitchen is small and hot, virtually all fresh food is kept in the fridge, including eggs in boxes.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 7th, 2019, 4:57 pm

I suspect it goes back to the time when kitchens had a cool larder. When we had a village shop the butter and eggs were stored standing on marble in a cool place. Modern heated kitchens need fridges. It is still recommended that eggs are brought to room temperature before using in a lot of recipes - possibly one of the reasons people didn't refrigerate them even after fridges became commonplace.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby KC2 » June 8th, 2019, 4:24 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:I found myself watching this last night (well at 4am) ….. If I didn't know better I would have thought I was having a nightmare ..

:scared: :scared: :scared:

- Unbelievable practices that are allowed in the US - Heaven help us if we ever have to accept this into our food chain

:terrified: :terrified: :terrified:

In that case I'm glad I haven't watched it! The trailers looked awful. (And also glad that when one of my sons was in LA for a year or so he ate mainly vegetarian although he is an ardent carnivore!)
KC2
Registered

Postby dennispc » June 9th, 2019, 2:53 pm

We didn't watch it but here's the Guardian's review

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... ite-ruiner

Further info about 450 US deaths from salmonella,

https://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/index.html

UK, see below.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/rise ... yphimurium
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 9th, 2019, 6:25 pm

First and last link don't work for me and the middle one seems to be about Salmonella in Humous :?
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 10th, 2019, 4:43 pm

I can't get the Guardian link to recover

The final one, relating to a rise in cases of one particular strain of salmonella typhimurium in the UK is this
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/rise-in-cases-of-salmonella-typhimurium

Note that this is a specific increase believed to be related to sheep and sheep meat, not to eggs or chicken, and the numbers are quite small about 300 cases in total over a 2 year period.. Still worrying, but careful hygiene should be enough if lamb and mutton are the source of the infection.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby dennispc » June 11th, 2019, 3:33 pm

Neither could I! Even though I can still open it in the draft file I used to save it.

Does this work?

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... ite-ruiner

If not, suggest you go to Guardian's front page, open search, type in chlorinated chicken review and it should be there.
dennispc
Registered

Postby dennispc » June 11th, 2019, 3:37 pm

The middle link is about hummus but in the right hand column mentions the number of illnesses and deaths from salmonella in US

The last one - again I couldn't open it in the Forum page, but could in my drat. However, it's the link that Sue has given. Thank you.
dennispc
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 11th, 2019, 6:50 pm

Yes, none of what’s in the Guardian article is news, just that C4 have actually filmed it

Food in the US can be astonishingly cheap - when I was working in N Carolina a few years back the local paper had one of those pull outs telling you the offers at the big supermarket - I couldn’t believe the prices, beef pork and chicken much cheaper than here, sometimes less than half the price. Simply can’t be done to (say) Red Tractor standard
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby dennispc » June 12th, 2019, 3:43 pm

Knew about chlorinated chicken but didn't know of death and illness rate in the the US. Liam Fox, one time GP, says American chicken is safe so I imagine it will come at some point.

The cheapness will attract many, damage good husbandry farms and add to our consumption of antibiotics, growth hormones and so on.
dennispc
Registered

Postby dennispc » June 12th, 2019, 3:43 pm

Knew about chlorinated chicken but didn't know of death and illness rate in the the US. Liam Fox, one time GP, says American chicken is safe so I imagine it will come at some point.

The cheapness will attract many, damage good husbandry farms and add to our consumption of antibiotics, growth hormones and so on.
dennispc
Registered

Return to TV and Radio