Hugh and Anita's War on Plastic

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

Hugh and Anita's War on Plastic

Postby Ratatouille » June 18th, 2019, 8:53 am

I have been watching this with increasing horror and disgust. It makes me so angry that apparently well educated and caring pople "Can't see the point"

Our Danish friends are like this they buy litres and litres of bottled water, plants for their lovely garden all in plastic pots which just get thrown in the bin and shop for meat and fish in Fresh where everything like that it cased in non-recyclable pastic - because it is more hygienic. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Have you been watching
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Re: Hugh and Anita's War on Plastic

Postby StokeySue » June 18th, 2019, 9:36 am

Some people just don’t get it

I remember standing next to a young woman in the queue at the organic butcher, she commented that she preferred the other as their meat was “properly packed” i.e. prepacked in plastic. I preferred having mine cut to order and minimally wrapped
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 18th, 2019, 11:59 am

I have just caught up with this. It is more interesting than I thought it would be.

There seem to be more and more people really trying to make an effort but still a huge number who are oblivious or don't care. There is a whole section of people who become slightly anxious if their homes and lives are not clean and perfect all the time and who will throw away anything, including food, rather than have it visible or go to the trouble of passing items on to others or recycling. I know a few. That aspect comes before wellbeing of much loved children or grandchildren. I think it is a modern form of a mental illness and a shame but it doesn't help the environmental issue.

I do have a bit of a gripe with asking businesses to provide water refill stations free of charge. The water would become quite expensive in a large, well used petrol station and they would lose out on bottled water sales and have to keep the refill station clean. I think it may be asking for more goodwill than they are prepared to give.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 19th, 2019, 9:33 am

I just don't get why people buy still water in bottles. We have had this discussion before.

We have had plastic wrapped things marketed to us as more hygienic, and tamper-proof packaging is the norm. Some exaggeration of the possible dangers of food poisoning, food terrorist activity and indeed germs in general have been deployed to make us want to buy things in this way (and of course a whole host of cleaning products.) Fear-based marketing.
They have a point, of course, but as usual there is no room for nuance or judgement. It's all or nothing, and crucially people don't use their brains (like the person near us who threw a packet of unused plastic straws into the recycling bin at the height of the vilification of plastic straws.)
Some packaging is of course to protect the product.
I might have posted this before, but I found it interesting:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47161379

i.e. we shouldn't necessarily dispense with packaging - but we do need alternative materials.

re garden sundries, plastic pots probably last longer than terracotta, and mine are certainly have been reused year after year, although ones I have bought recently seem to be of poorer quality. (Stewart have gone out of business?) and critically, if it's hot, retain water better, so more than just slightly useful. But yes, there is a problem regarding what to do with them when they do break. I suppose you could use them as crocks.
It's very hard to buy plants from garden centres that are not in plastic pots, and these pots are usually only fit for one or two more 'resuses' because they are cheap and flimsy. I get a lot delivered that are in plugs (without pots) or bare root. I suppose garden centres can't really do this as they have things on display, and they would dry out.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 19th, 2019, 11:22 am

Silly as it sounds I think a lot of people only want to drink chilled water and that's where a freshly bought bottle when out and about wins. There is also the inability of people to plan ahead along with the belief that tap water is bad for you when ours is of one of the highest standards in the world of course!

Reusing plant pots is fine for gardeners but for people like me who have small gardens and just buy a few ready grown things to plant each year they are a dilemma. Some garden centres will take them back and they go on to be made into other things but that is not the sustainable answer. The plants need to be in something which makes them easy for people to carry home. I wonder if the compostable material being developed to hold ready meals would work.

I was trying to remember what was used for plants when I was a child but the answer is, I think, that we didn't have garden centres, most plants were grown from scratch or cuttings and the rest were purchased from places like markets or nurseries and were in old tomato boxes or wrapped in newspaper. Can anyone remember?
Last edited by earthmaiden on June 19th, 2019, 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 19th, 2019, 11:48 am

I imagine the main problem with compostable pots would be that they tend to dry out really quickly (while on display)?

I suppose if they put the plants in compostable pots inside plastic ones, and you leave the plastic ones behind, that might work? As long as they don't go soggy. I don't really know though.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 19th, 2019, 12:11 pm

We have a rather good nursery just up the road. I take terracotta pots to the owner and wire hanging baskets and she grows my stuff in them, She doesn't use plastic pots at all because everything is grown from seed on the premises. If I take my own containers I get the plants at a reduced price. It is imposssible for me to grow stuff from seed other than herbs. I simply don't have the room.

The yen for ice-cold water is also a myth. For hydration you should drink non-Chilled it is more hydrating and you drink more.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 19th, 2019, 4:13 pm

Your are very lucky, Rats.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 25th, 2019, 1:43 pm

I have seen the first and third programme …. must catch up on the second one when I get a minute. I need to get in the mindset to unwrap my (British) apples and leave the packaging behind, also empty the pre-packaged mushrooms into a paper bag … just need to re-learn. :rolleyes: :aww:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 25th, 2019, 3:08 pm

I thought they were all quite interesting. I don't see the merit in leaving packaging at the supermarket, it's too late by then. I suppose it might send a message to supermarkets but I think they are influenced more by legislation than that and they will just throw away. It was interesting this week to learn how they might interpret the legislation :rolleyes: .

I think if we want to commit to change we have to change what we buy. As it's inconvenient I doubt it will take off very fast. I was interested to see that loose fruit & veg often costs more than packaged. I have not found that generally but do get annoyed when, for instance, there is a pack of 6 tomatoes priced per pack so that they can only be compared to the others on offer if you go and weigh a pack. :evil:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Busybee » June 25th, 2019, 3:34 pm

I haven’t seen the programmes so can’t comment, needless to say I’m all for reducing our use of plastic. However, I do follow James Wong the botanist on Twitter.

The packaging issue is very much linked to food waste, and the issue isn’t as clear cut as you might think. Reduce plastic packaging and food waste will increase, if we want to protect the worlds resources we can’t look at one issue in isolation.

He is a very interesting man, a bit like our own StokeySue, he takes a lot of headlines and myth busts the pseudo science, well worth listening to what he has to say, especially around food and diet.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 25th, 2019, 5:05 pm

That's partly what the article I posted a link to was saying.

It's complicated...

However while we need some packaging, it's what it's made of that's the issue? We also need some plastic.

I like James Wong. I have some of his books
Herbidacious
Registered

Return to TV and Radio