Talking Pictures TV

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

Talking Pictures TV

Postby cyprusmoira » August 28th, 2019, 7:20 am

Has anyone else found Talking Pictures TV on the Freeview Channels ? It is all old British Films and TV, mostly in black and white, some comedies, some dramas, some series. Last night we watched The Wrong Arm of the Law, starring Peter Sellars before he got up himself and Lionel Jeffries, lots of British character actors. The script was Simpson and Galton. A check of the cast list shows a young Michael Caine in there somewhere
We shall be checking this channel when yet another "gritty murder" drama is on.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Re: Talking Pictures TV

Postby northleedsbhoy » August 28th, 2019, 1:02 pm

It's been available on Freeview for a couple of years now and there are some great films and TV series's on there. They have an app that can be downloaded which gives a weekly TV guide. I watched Very Important Person yesterday (again) starring the great James Robertson Justice and a host of other famous British film stars

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 28th, 2019, 1:48 pm

Looks interesting. I see they are showing a glimpse of London Airport in the early 60's tomorrow morning. Shame I am doing something else.

Did anyone else read recently that they are afraid that the young will be influenced by the amount of smoking in old films now that they are so widely available to watch in the home?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » August 28th, 2019, 3:39 pm

i think our humax needs retuning as we can't get it (i have tried to watch it a few times). it is run by a wife and husband and her father. there was a programme/article on the radio about it a while back.
quite interesting.
scullion
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » August 28th, 2019, 4:16 pm

Scully, it may be that it's not available in your area, I know that some areas don't get certain channels for example a friend has BT vision and can't get Forces TV.

You like the 'Glimpses' shorts showing 1930's upwards life throughout the country.

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby scullion » August 29th, 2019, 9:35 am

you may well be right. i can vaguely remember getting a message to that effect a while back, you have jogged my memory.
bummer
scullion
Registered

Return to TV and Radio