His Dark Materials

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

His Dark Materials

Postby Pepper Pig » November 4th, 2019, 5:53 pm

I thought it was very promising. Anyone else?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: His Dark Materials

Postby KC2 » November 4th, 2019, 6:01 pm

We thought it a shame that everyone's daemons weren't in evidence - as my (30 yr old!) son said, they could have just had a few dogs or cats roaming around and wouldn't necessarily have had to go the full CGI route, which would have been a vast amount of work. I noticed a few extra birds flying in the rafters but that was all.

Reserving judgment for the moment ....
KC2
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 4th, 2019, 6:17 pm

Lookig forward to it... (on iPlayer.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 4th, 2019, 7:24 pm

Saving it for when I get back from holiday
Did sneak a look at the first little bit. Looked promising.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » November 4th, 2019, 7:50 pm

StokeySue wrote:Saving it for when I get back from holiday
Did sneak a look at the first little bit. Looked promising.

When are you going, Sue? And where to?
KC2
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 4th, 2019, 8:56 pm

Off to Malta on Wednesday! Back on the 14th, so would be a bit of a gap until I saw episode 2
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » November 4th, 2019, 10:51 pm

StokeySue wrote:Off to Malta on Wednesday! Back on the 14th, so would be a bit of a gap until I saw episode 2

Have a fantastic time, I've heard great things about it!
KC2
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 6th, 2019, 11:00 am

It is perhaps our age but we both found the sound quality really poor, so much so we put on the subtitles
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 6th, 2019, 3:27 pm

Ratatouille wrote:It is perhaps our age but we both found the sound quality really poor
It wasn't just me then, we cannot get subtitles

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 10th, 2019, 9:09 am

Caught up with this last night. I'm afraid I haven't read the books, my children were grown up before they were published, I hadn't really twigged how clever they were and probably will now.

I had just watched a film with awful sound and when this had poor sound too I thought I was just having a bad day. It's quite reassuring that others found the same thing - but how sad in this day and age for that to happen.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby KC2 » November 10th, 2019, 2:19 pm

We're finding that is happening more frequently too. We also suffer terribly from planes landing at Heathrow a few minutes later, when the wind is in a certain direction. The combination makes you feel at least 100 and a total wreck! That said, today they're quiet! As are the helicopters.
KC2
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 11th, 2019, 11:02 am

Didn't have a problem with the sound while watching episode 1 in iPlayer last night. I don't think it can be instrinsic to the recording. I watched it through a Fire stick, though, so boosted 'signal', I think.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby KC2 » November 11th, 2019, 11:18 am

Funnily enough, we watched ep 2 last night through the firestick as we started it late, and the sound seemed better than the previous week. we also felt that it was improving and enjoyed it more than ep 1.
KC2
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 11th, 2019, 11:33 am

I’m enjoying it but haven’t got a clue what’s going on. I haven’t read the books and so far it’s as clear as mud!

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 11th, 2019, 11:57 am

I think I'm following it! It's very clever. I too thought that the sound was better last night and I don't use a Fire stick, I didn't need subtitles.

When it's finished I shall read the books. I heard an extract read yesterday and it sounded very descriptive and interesting. I suspect, that like Harry Potter, the books are far more gripping than any film.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 11th, 2019, 12:09 pm

I have read it, but as they came out, so a long time ago. Even so, I know it pretty well and can't have an nobjective perspective on the programme.

I am watching everything through the Firestick now... I did wonder if I really needed it, but very glad I bought it.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » November 11th, 2019, 12:35 pm

earthmaiden wrote:When it's finished I shall read the books.

i can email you the ebooks if you want.
there is a parallel trilogy in the writing - the first is la belle sauvage, that was broadcast on radio 4 a year or two ago, which puts baby lyra on the scene. the next, i gather, is when she's older than the northern lights trilogy. the third isn't available yet.

we've had no problems with the sound level.
scullion
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 12th, 2019, 10:56 am

I think the casting is terrific. Am enjoying it hugely.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Suelle » November 12th, 2019, 11:04 am

I haven't read the books, although my daughter has them, so I might when the series has ended. I'm enjoying it too - probably more so than if I'd read the books, as my daughter says there are a few things about it that niggle her.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Pepper Pig » November 12th, 2019, 11:14 am

Suelle wrote:I haven't read the books, although my daughter has them, so I might when the series has ended. I'm enjoying it too - probably more so than if I'd read the books, as my daughter says there are a few things about it that niggle her.

I was introduced to them when they first apppeared. It coincided with my KS2 teacher training and we were told these were going to be hugely influential in primary schools. I still think they're a bit grown up for that but I did enjoy them. Have re read but not recently. I don't remember Lord Boreal going in and out of other worlds in the first book. I thought that occurred in the later ones. I don't think it's disadvantageous to the plot though.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Suelle » November 12th, 2019, 11:44 am

Pepper Pig wrote:
Suelle wrote:I haven't read the books, although my daughter has them, so I might when the series has ended. I'm enjoying it too - probably more so than if I'd read the books, as my daughter says there are a few things about it that niggle her.

I was introduced to them when they first apppeared. It coincided with my KS2 teacher training and we were told these were going to be hugely influential in primary schools. I still think they're a bit grown up for that but I did enjoy them. Have re read but not recently. I don't remember Lord Boreal going in and out of other worlds in the first book. I thought that occurred in the later ones. I don't think it's disadvantageous to the plot though.

Daughter said it was the second book, but that wasn't one of the things that niggled her - she said the changes gave the TV series a fresh perspective on things!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » November 12th, 2019, 12:25 pm

It does say it is adapted from all the books - so they are bound to mess it about, they always do!

scullion wrote:i can email you the ebooks if you want.

Sorry, I didn't thank you for this. I will probably just get them from the library, I am not so keen on ebooks when I know I will want to refer back. Very kind offer though.
earthmaiden
Registered

Return to TV and Radio