[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Rick Stein Secret France

Rick Stein Secret France

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

Rick Stein Secret France

Postby KC2 » December 4th, 2019, 1:28 pm

We saw Rick make this last night, and it looked delicious! https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/beef ... alls_23514

As for the piment d’Espelette, I've seen both smoked and non-smoked hot paprika suggested as a substitute. What do you think?
KC2
Registered

Re: Rick Stein Secret France

Postby StokeySue » December 4th, 2019, 1:48 pm

Looks good, I haven’t caught up yet

I don’t personally think piment d’espekette is any thing very special, and it’s not smoky, and only moderately hot, so you could sub it with paprika and a bit of chilli.
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » December 4th, 2019, 1:50 pm

Thanks Sue! I hadn't even heard of it before!
KC2
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 4th, 2019, 2:29 pm

I am rather fond of piment d'Espalette. The thing is to get it fresh -ie this year's crop. I have a friend who lives in Sete. She send me some each year and I send her some local saffron. I love that part of France. Collioure is not just known for the Banyuls wine (yummy though it is) but the anchovies are to die for.

Next week he's in our happy hunting ground.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 4th, 2019, 2:43 pm

Love Collioure, and the anchovies, visited there as a child. We used to bring the piment back from St Jean de Luz. But even if you can find it in London, I don’t think it’s worth the price demanded.

I actually use Aleppo pepper (pul biber) as a substitute, it’s not quite as hot but works
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 4th, 2019, 3:05 pm

Am loving this series. The photography is wonderful for a start and the whole thing goes at such a gentle pace. Much though I enjoy the Hairy Bikers this is very refreshing.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 4th, 2019, 3:08 pm

I'm loving this series too ... I think it's one of his best ... takes me back to Floyd on France :luv: ... in some ways it's quite different but the love of the food, places and people shone through in both. :luv:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 4th, 2019, 3:24 pm

I'm really enjoying the series too (despite his style of eating which I always find nasty to watch). So interesting to see the influences of the different regions. Last night's didn't grab me quite as much as some - you could certainly see it was nearer Spain - but those meatballs did look nice!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 4th, 2019, 3:25 pm

Perhaps one day dear Rick will even learn to speak French - or rather pronounce it fairly accurately ;)
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby KC2 » December 4th, 2019, 3:27 pm

KC2
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » December 4th, 2019, 5:31 pm

Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 11th, 2019, 2:54 pm

I am quite sad the series has finished but the last programme made me a bit cross because they spent a lot of time in Uzez. Lovely though it it it is not Provence, it is Languedoc.

Once in real Provence however, every single place was well known to us, from Foucalcier market - very close to friend Paul's house. to Cassis on the coast. A gem and wine to die for. The winery at Mas de la Dame which we always visit to buy when we go over to Mausanne les Alpilles for olive oil from the co-op. Of course le Bistro de Paradou which is indeed a curiosity though I'm not at all sure about the soupe au pistou followed by the hugs plate of chicken. Soupe au pistou is traditionally a summer dish made for a crowd and served as the main event behaps with a slad and pate and always a good dessert. It is much thicker than the one they ate last night and always has some sort of pasta - small shapes or broken spag.

Last time we went it was a Friday so it was aioli garni, complete wuth perites gris snails. We didn't encounter any vampires on the was home :lol: :lol:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby KC2 » December 11th, 2019, 6:52 pm

KC2
Registered

Return to TV and Radio