<300 calorie full meals that aren't

This is an area for the discussion of 5:2 recipes and the fast diet in general.

<300 calorie full meals that aren't

Postby Riocaz » June 11th, 2013, 4:24 pm

Okay it's really irritating me now. So many websites claiming to give "300cal" meals, where the "300 cal" bit seems to only be a portion of a meal.

A Pork chop and sauce is not a meal it's part of one. and doesn't bloody help when I'm trying to find something to make for my dinner tonight.

Tonight I want to make a some form of veggie "curry". I'm thinking Mushroom, courgette and chickpea, in a tomato based sauce. And I will serve it with my cauliflower "rice".

it will almost certainly be under 300cal, with a decent balance of nutrition. And more importantly it will be an actual full plate of food.

*Grr* it's almost enough to make me start blogging again. ;)
Last edited by Riocaz on June 11th, 2013, 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Board Admin and general dogsbody

It's always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, you're on your own. -- James Beard

Onwards and Downwards!
Can't login? Please try this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13153
Riocaz
Site Admin

Re: <300 calorie full meals that aren't

Postby StokeySue » June 11th, 2013, 4:44 pm

It has been bugging me too

As have " low calorie meals" that aren't really calorie counted because the quantities aren't sufficiently tightly specified

For example - a salmon dish counted to a very precise 321 kcal per portion - amount of salmon per portion "one fillet" - no clue as to size or weight

Or a "< 300 cal" chicken dish that contained "one potato" - size and weight also undetermined (that was in a book cashing in on 5:2)

I am also a bit fed up with the number of recipes that make 4 to 8 portions, not easily scaled down - dieting tends not to be a team activity, when you get down to daily meals
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Riocaz » June 11th, 2013, 4:49 pm

I think I'm going to end up returning to blogging just to address what seems to be a lack in the market.

Feel free to throw me some recipes and ideas (or if you fancy doing to odd post or two).

That's not just to Sue BTW. This site did start off as my blog though it's been sadly lacking recently (in fact right now it's altogether dead)

It's always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, you're on your own. -- James Beard

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » June 11th, 2013, 5:02 pm

Glamour magazine have a whole feature on <300 cal meals

All look as if they are probably quite good - but calories are given per serving; the number of servings the recipe yields is not given :?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Riocaz » June 11th, 2013, 5:21 pm

Well I can't say I really read many glamour magazines... But as you say it still leaves a lot to be desired.

IMO a blog style site, linking to a recipe database would work. You can then choose your main portion say a chicken dish. And if you don't fancy the cauliflower rice you can still find other side dishes to go with it easily without searching every blog post.

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby Sloe-Gin » June 11th, 2013, 5:21 pm

I've got a lot of single portion meals at around 300, Lee.
Cheat's chilli Using quorn mince)
Vegetable tagine
Pad thai
Burmese curry (though that does use quorn)
Veg curry (just had that.... phew...)
Half and half burgers with celeriac chips
Tesco finest sirloin steak (when I can afford it) garlic mushrooms and celeriac chip

to name a few. Let me know if you want any recipes. All full plates of food!
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby Riocaz » June 11th, 2013, 5:23 pm

I'll have a fiddle tonight and see what I can come up with.

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby Riocaz » June 11th, 2013, 5:29 pm

Sloe that would be wonderful!

I will try and start off with a basic layout tonight and come up with a way to add recipes. Though anyone helping would have to ensure they calculate their calories using the same calorie counter otherwise there will be distinct variations (but then that's not too onerous a task)

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby Sloe-Gin » June 11th, 2013, 5:34 pm

Ingredients Calories
Tesco Dried Apricots - Apricots Ready to Eat Dried Apricots, 30 g 55
Napolina - Tinned Chopped Tomatoes, 200 g 44
Onions - Raw, 40 g 17
McCormick - Coriander, Ground, 1 tsp. 5
Spices - Cumin, 1 tsp 8
Generic - Red Chilli Powder, 0.33 tbsp 8
Spices - Saffron, 1 tsp 2
Generic - Lemon - Preserved, 1/4 lemon 9
Generic - Fresh Mint Leaves, 10 g 7
Zamouri Spices - Ras El Hanout, 5 g 8
Tesco - Chick Peas, 88 g 115 these were cooked from dry, drained.
Celeriac - Cooked, boiled, drained, without salt, 100 g 27
Tesco - Celery Sticks, 44 g 3

308 cals, plus any 'rice'. I did use my own preserved lemons though.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » June 11th, 2013, 5:36 pm

Will do some more tomorrow Lee.
Cals courtesy of my fitness pal.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby Riocaz » June 11th, 2013, 6:24 pm

Excellent sloe hopefully by then I'll have some way to enter the recipe directly.

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby spotteddick » June 11th, 2013, 7:02 pm

Hi Lee
This is a reason that I started doing my own data base of low calory meals (or at least well worked out eals with calorific values, I started off with things like müsli, I know not all that exciting but a lot of bought ones have a calorific value of over 300 for 50g (including semi-skimmed milk) I got mine to just over 300 for 100g.
At first I went for the one 600cal meal a day during my fasting and later went for a 600cal meal either side of the 24 hour fast.
Also I used a lot of turkey and chicken, this in a stirfry with loads of vegetables is very filling and a little meat goes a long way.
I was also going to put recipes connected to the 5:2 on my blog but other things (moving house) took precedence so that thought took a back seat.
The data base in its raw state only makes sence to me as it is in an excel table and is often just a list of ingredients, weights and calorific values with no methology. This is either stored in my head or at oneside of the daily report that I published on the loosing weight thread.
I will see if I can put them into some sort of shape and put them on here, though as I said mine are in the most <600cal or sometimes full meals for normal eating days but even these I tried to keep below 1500cals.
Cheers

Dick

Just because you're wandering doesn't mean you're lost!!

http://spotteddick-itsallinthegame.blogspot.com/
spotteddick
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » June 11th, 2013, 7:25 pm

I had roughly what you suggested tonight Lee, mushroom, courgette and peas in a a curry sauce made with dried spices and 1 large fresh tomato, I calculated that at 300 cals. And very nice it was too.

I agree about the plethora of 5:2 /300 cal meals, most of them wouldnt satisfy me after a fast day.

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby Annie » June 11th, 2013, 7:56 pm

I calculate many of my recipes on fatsecret.

Today I made Saag Aloo that works out at 123 cals per portion then there are the chapati (120) and 100g low fat yoghurt(55) to put with it. grand total of 297.

The curry is more spinach than potato, although it is normally the other way round.

Serves 4
1 tbsp garam masala 20
1 tsp turmeric 8
1 tbsp olive oil 119
3 cloves garlic 13
4 tsps fresh ginger 6
1 medium onion 46
500g spinach 115
2 green chilli 36
150 g potato 130
Last edited by Annie on June 11th, 2013, 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Riocaz » June 11th, 2013, 9:38 pm

Okay well I went for something different in the end which was higher in calories in total:

Venison sausages with a mushroon & onions gravy:
1 pack (6 sausages) Tesco finest venison sausages 360cal
1 onion (180g): 76cal
380g closed cup mushrooms: 60cal
1 chicken stock cube: 17cal
1tbs cranberry sauce: 22cal
Total: 535cal Serves 2 or 3 depending on how hungry you are.

I microwaved the onions for 8 minutes in a pyrex casserole dish.
I dry sauteed the mushrooms for about 10 minutes, in a non-stick pan until golden until they stopped shrinking. Then browned the sausages in the same pan and transferred them in a pyrex casserole. The mushrooms and onions were then returned to the pan and the mushrooms to the pyrex dish and put in a 200c oven for 10 minutes.
I added water, the stock cube and cranberry jelly to the pan and brought to a boil. Then left to stand while I got on with my vegetable puree.

Cauliflower and root veg puree:
300g cauliflower florets: 102cal
150g aunt bessies swede and carrot mash: 52cal
total: 154cal (serves 2 at 77cal each)
pepper and salt to season

Microwave the cauliflower in a bowl for 8 minutes or cooked through. Put a blender with the carrot and swede mash (the heat of the cualiflower will thaw the mash) and blend until smooth. Microwave again until hot through and season to taste.

Yes I know this is damned lazy but it's relative quick and there is just enough butter in the carrot and swede mash without adding more IMO.

I also served (all steamed)
160g carrots: 67cal
180g sugarsnap peas:59cal
125g broccoli: 42cal

I should have split the sausages into 3 as 2 would have been plenty with the veg, but I didn't.. Oh well. :)

The total for the meal was 512cal.
Last edited by Riocaz on June 11th, 2013, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby Sloe-Gin » June 11th, 2013, 9:54 pm

I do a half quorn and half lean mince shepherds pie for hub with a topping of ready made carrot, swede and potato mash: half the normal calories of shep. pie and just as tasty and filling.
Last edited by Sloe-Gin on June 11th, 2013, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby Riocaz » June 11th, 2013, 10:20 pm

I've made a cottage garden pie with that cauliflower & root veg puree before, and it was surprisingly successful

I decided to have a pudding (having realised that if I have the same meals tomorrow I will still be vastly under my calorie count, so ong as I skip the doughnut and danish). :)

Melon and raspberries (makes a great breakfast too):

Galia Melon - 275g: 72cal
Raspberries - 175 g: 56cal
Weight watchers Fromage Frais: 47cal
Total: 175cal

Sadly in this instance the melon was a tad under ripe. But otherwise it was yummy.

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby Riocaz » June 11th, 2013, 10:32 pm

You all know I have a "hearty" apetite.. (also known as being a greedy bugger)

Recalculating those calorie counts for a more "normal" appetite:

Sausages with mushrooms (Making 3 servings): 179cal
Cauliflower and root veg mash: 77cal
80g carrots: 34cal
90g sugarsnaps: 30cal
80g broccoli: 27cal
Total: 347cal (and even then I am probably overestimating a "normal" appetite.

And the Melon/raspberries could easily serve 2 generously at 88cal each!
Last edited by Riocaz on June 11th, 2013, 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby Mamta » June 12th, 2013, 5:14 am

Useful thread for dieters! I need to get back on 2 day fasting diet. Having had a lot of citors in the last couple fo months, I have slid off it and have gained about 2 kg back!
One of the meal I made (not counted calories exactly was this vegetable curry for 2
A handful of each of these or similar;
broccoli/cauliflower
spinach/cabbage/other leaf vegetable
1 aubergine/2 courgette/one of the Indian gourds
a little shredded ginger and garlic
1 tin of tomatoes
Bring to boil then add;
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp garam masala
Chilli to taste
Salt to taste.

Simmer until vegetables are cooked.
To serve I generally do one of these; Serve in a large bowl, with 1 small 'be good to yourself' naan which is 120 cal. or place a small piece of fish on top of the cooking vegetable, cover and cook until steamed through.
Mamta
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » June 12th, 2013, 6:45 am

On a off shoot Lee, what do you think of the aunt bessies swede and carrot mash compared to fresh? I ask as H loves the stuff where's I'm not that keen & find making a small batch each roast dinner a faff.

The next low call spiced ratatouille I make I will calorie count, I find it a good all rounder to add to pork as a stew, cook a chicken breast in, add chickpeas & spices for Eastern, add fish or prawns, turn the chilli up for a kick, or serve with a rice or pasta or alone with a pitta & green salad.
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby dennispc » June 12th, 2013, 7:52 am

We share your irritation and find many of the 5:2 recipes do the same, we don't want to know calories per portion, like others we want grams and calories. We've stuck to an insert from the Radio Times by Dr Mosley, much battered, though I don’t think they’d match your definition of a plate of food.

On our fast days our digital scales are left out all day, though we’re not too fussy about a handful of herbs etc. Here’s what we did yesterday, for the two of us, as a lunch time snack.

3 scrambled eggs, using 15ml of milk and about a a tbsp of chives. Plus a slice of toasted wholemeal each. That was 426 calories between the two of us.

Regularly we have his Roast Salmon, this is for one person.

“Place a 140g salmon fillet (252 calories) with 10 cherry tomatoes (150g, 27 calories) on the vine on a baking tray. Bake at 200C until the fish is cooked. Serve with a generous 112g of green beans.”

The problem we have with that menu is the salmon fillets we buy are usually about 180g 10 tomatoes and that quantity of beans we wouldn’t couldn’t get through so we adjust.

And change, so yesterday I had,

112g of Plaice = 95.2 calories

50g of Cherry Tomatoes = 9 calories

30g of Sugar Snap Peas = 7.2 Calories

40g of Green Beans = 8.8 Calories

That could be doubled for one person who needed more calories.

A 140 piece of salmon (instead of the plaice) would make it a 277 Calorie meal or 180g, a 349 calorie one.

Your proposed blog would be a great resource for us so we’ll post our other recipes if it’ll help. (and enable others to check my maths :)

Thank you.
Last edited by dennispc on June 12th, 2013, 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby Marmalade » June 12th, 2013, 8:10 am

What bugs me is when adverts (particularly those with children in mind) say things like "..... a portion equals one of their five a day" and if, in that split second you can read the white 4pt writing on the grey background, you will spot that it carries the caveat 'two pots equals one portion'

However, back to the point - none of the diet 'plans' such as Diet Chef or Weight-Away (where they deliver 'ready meals' to your door) or indeed many of the calorie counted meals I've come across, include anything other than the main ingredient and all suggest in some way (either by telling you or giving 'serving suggestion' pictures), what accompaniments to put with it.

I can understand how annoying it must be, but if it's any help, my daughter lost 22lb in 7 months following the Weightwatchers pro-points thingy on-line and apart from potatoes, sweet corn I think (and slightly surprisingly parsnips) their philosophy was that vegetables were 'free points' in-as-much-as, you could eat as much or as many vegetables as you could physically consume which of course helps to fill you, making up for (perhaps) a much smaller portion of the meat-based part of the meal.

Of course, it's all highly scientific, vegetables aren't absorbed in the same way as fats so the body takes what nutritional value it needs and (how shall put this ...) 'discards' the rest, so if you're full from your meal you won't be reaching for the crisps, nuts, chocolate, cakes, biscuits etc. and the easiest, healthiest, and indeed, cheapest way to do this is through vegetables and fruit.

I would expect any 'meal suggestion' claiming to be 300 calories for a pork chop and sauce, not to patronise me and to automatically assume that I'd be putting vegetables with it, which in this case it appears it does.
Marmalade
Registered

Postby Riocaz » June 12th, 2013, 10:37 am

PurpleLuv wrote:On a off shoot Lee, what do you think of the aunt bessies swede and carrot mash compared to fresh? I ask as H loves the stuff where's I'm not that keen & find making a small batch each roast dinner a faff.

I like AB Swede and carrot mash Purps, my Sister and I both like sqede and carrot, but are the only ones who do, and as you say it's a faff to make it in small amounts.

PurpleLuv wrote:The next low call spiced ratatouille I make I will calorie count, I find it a good all rounder to add to pork as a stew, cook a chicken breast in, add chickpeas & spices for Eastern, add fish or prawns, turn the chilli up for a kick, or serve with a rice or pasta or alone with a pitta & green salad.

I do this too made in batches and frozen to make for quick meals. It goes well with cauliflower rice too.

Marmalade wrote:I would expect any 'meal suggestion' claiming to be 300 calories for a pork chop and sauce, not to patronise me and to automatically assume that I'd be putting vegetables with it, which in this case it appears it does.

I don't understand the point you are making here. My complaint is websites that claim to be providing suggestions & recipes for "meals under X calories" which are in fact just one portion/dish of the meal.

I don't know about you but you want a meal for 300 calories and one the meat and sauce of it comes to 298cal it doesn't leave a lot of room for veggies... Remember these are websites that cater specifically to those people on 5:2/IF style diet plans. If you've structured your day round that recipe (without noticing) then discovering that you suddenly have to find another 100-150cal for veg is going to be more than a bit of a pain.
Last edited by Riocaz on June 12th, 2013, 12:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » June 12th, 2013, 11:16 am

No
Marmalade wrote:I would expect any 'meal suggestion' claiming to be 300 calories for a pork chop and sauce, not to patronise me and to automatically assume that I'd be putting vegetables with it, which in this case it appears it does.

In what sense is it "patronising" you to assume that you eat normal meals - veg with the meat?

If the recipe claims to be for a meal < 300calories, it is hardly doing what it says on the tin if it is only for a partial meal

Marmalade wrote:However, back to the point - none of the diet 'plans' such as Diet Chef or Weight-Away (where they deliver 'ready meals' to your door) or indeed many of the calorie counted meals I've come across, include anything other than the main ingredient and all suggest in some way (either by telling you or giving 'serving suggestion' pictures), what accompaniments to put with it.

That's completely irrelevant to this discussion - this thread is not about commercial diet plans or pre-packaged foods - it is about diets some of us are following (mainly 5:2) that require some whole meals to be < 300 cal. These diets have spawned a lot of recipes on the internet and in books that purport to supply such meals
The discussion title accurately says : <300 calorie full meals that aren't
It doen't mention <300 cal dishes.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Annie » June 13th, 2013, 10:37 am

Last night I made Thai Noodles with Prawns from the Good Housekeeping Step-by-Step book which calorie counts the recipes as a whole. I quartered the amount in the recipe (serves 4) amazingly quick and easy only takes 5 minutes to cook. the total count per recipe is 343 but by using a little less than quartered amounts of noodles and prawns brings it to 300

4 tsp Thai red curry paste
175g medium wholewheat egg noodles (I used 40g)
2 small red onion
1 lemongrass stalk trimmed and sliced
1 Thai red chilli deseeded and finely chopped
300 ml low-fat coconut milk
400g raw Tiger Prawns
Salt and pepper
Coriander leaves to garnish

Put 2 litres of water in a large pan add all the ingredients except the prawns and coriander. Bring to the boil then add the prawns and coriander cook until the prawns turn pink and serve.

That simple, quicker than a ready meal and certainly tastier than most.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Riocaz » June 13th, 2013, 10:53 am

Oh I like that. I could sub the egg noodles for shirataki and add extra veggies too.

The major calories there would be the noodles, prawns and coconut milk:

40g noodles: 139
100g prawns: 68
75ml low fat coconut milk: 75cal
1tsp Red chilli paste: 6cal

So you are looking at close enough to 300cal. And vastly below it if you use Shirataki over noodles.
Last edited by Riocaz on June 13th, 2013, 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby Annie » June 13th, 2013, 11:00 am

Thought it might be up your street Lee. I did mine with ordinary noodles last night but have some shirataki noodles to try but wanted to try the recipe as it was supposed to be done first. So as I hadn't tied those noodles yet I didn't want to make the suggestion before \i tried them.

I think it will benefit with some green beans and/or sweet corn kernels in for both flavours and being more filling.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Riocaz » June 13th, 2013, 11:06 am

Just remember that when you use the shirataki you will want to dry fry them for a bit beforehand (or I nuke mine for 2-3 minutes) to dry them out a bit, then simmer them in the stock so they absorb the flavour (it improves the texture a bit too).

I was thinking mange tout, but green beans would work for me too. Remember that sweetcorn kernals are relatively calorie dense, but Baby sweetcorn isn't (though I only like it when it's cut into rather fine wedges... ;) Also a nice pile of beansprouts and spinach leaves in the bottom of the bowl to wilt and soften in the hot stock.

Actually come to think of it, using shirataki I would probably change that cooking method quite a bit more... Stir-frying the noodles with the red curry paste to really push that flavour into them before adding the liquid for example... Will need to ponder a bit.

But I guess I know what I'm having for dinner.. ;)
Last edited by Riocaz on June 13th, 2013, 11:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby PurpleLuv » June 13th, 2013, 11:32 am

Another one to mess with whilst the coconut cream tin is open

Thai-style steamed cod and noodles
Preparation time:
10 minutes
Cooking time:
25 minutes
Total time:
35 minutes
Serves:
Ingredients
160ml can essential Waitrose coconut cream
6 tbsp frozen Cooks’ Ingredients spicy Thai mix
1 lime, zest and juice
300g pack fresh rice noodles
2 tbsp sesame oil
4 essential Waitrose salad onions, sliced
2 pak choi, trimmed and sliced
4 x 125g frozen cod fillets, defrosted

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 200˚C, gas mark 6, and tear 4 large squares of foil. Mix the coconut cream with the spicy Thai mix, lime zest and half the lime juice, and a pinch of salt.

2. Toss the noodles with the sesame oil, salad onions, pak choi, and remaining lime juice, then season. Divide the noodles between the squares of foil and place a piece of cod on top. Spoon the coconut mix over the cod, bring up the sides of the foil and seal well. Cook for 20 - 25 minutes. Carefully open the parcels and serve immediately.

http://www.waitrose.com/content/waitros ... odles.html
Obviously 4 portions but easy enough to divide, cook in foil for a washing up free dish.

I add a fresh chilli & sainsbugs dried Thai spice mix, less noodles & a few carrot batons, good with prawns too.
Last edited by PurpleLuv on June 13th, 2013, 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby Riocaz » June 13th, 2013, 11:49 am

I like that too, And you can drop the calories in that dish in several ways first and foremost using low fat coconut milk over coconut cream (and 2tbs of sesame oil seems a vast quantity of something that I find quite overwhelming as a flavour)... Another one to adapt for the blog!!! And it would work nicely with other fish too.

My blog is back under http://www.wildfood.info/blog for now.
Last edited by Riocaz on June 13th, 2013, 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby Annie » June 13th, 2013, 2:18 pm

just tried my own concoction with my recipe above as inspiration.

Used thai green paste, chicken stock from a bottle,green beans sliced mushrooms and the shirataki noodles, lf coconut milk, white onion, green chilli, lemongrass, ginger and cooked as above instructions.

Will definitely do again.

I like the shirataki noodles will use them again and again in such dishes. I took onboard your suggestion and washed them well and dried out as you instructed above. I didn't stirfry in the paste before though.

Edited to add working it out on fatsecret recipe building site it is 163 cals.
Last edited by Annie on June 13th, 2013, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Riocaz » June 13th, 2013, 5:17 pm

Went up to the Japan centre and restocked with Shirataki. So tesco's after work for veggies, low fat coconut milk & red curry paste, and something to poach in it. I'm thinking of adding something beyond just prawns.

I'll be making up the stock then freezing it in batches as I'll bring in some for lunch tomorrow

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby Riocaz » June 13th, 2013, 9:03 pm

Well...

That may possibly be the best thing I've ever made.

Calorie counting now

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby Annie » June 13th, 2013, 9:06 pm

I put a lone asparagus spear that had eluded me the other day into mine too and it was rather good with the other flavours.

The recipe is a definite keeper and will be a regular for me too.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Riocaz » June 13th, 2013, 9:25 pm

1 King Prawn (40g) 32 cal (optional, but YUM!)
85g Basa Fillet 81 cal
100ml Amoy Coconut Milk (Reduced Fat) 101 cal
125g Thai Style Stir Fry (tesco fresh) 44cal
40g Babycorn 12 cal
80 g Asparagus 16 cal
10 Sugar Snap Peas 14 cal
1/2 serving Knorr Fish Cube 16 cal
20g Red Curry Paste 18 cal
1 tbsp Fish Sauce 6 cal
200g Shirataki Yam Noodles 0 cal
(water to make up 1/2 pint)

Total: 340cal

Oops I went over by 40cal.

Actually I almost certainly didn't as I stopped weighing things randomly halfway so I've Intentionally overestimated everything I forgot to weigh by a 1/3rd. So I'm maybe 20cal over. But I'll forgive myself this once. LOL.
Last edited by Riocaz on June 13th, 2013, 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby Annie » June 14th, 2013, 6:05 pm

Those Shirataki noodles are perfect for this. Infact I think this is the sort of thing they are used for where they originate from.

I'm waiting for the offers in Holland and Barrett where it is buy 1 item and get another for 1p. I will stock up at that point. They're currently 2 for £2.98 at H&B.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Riocaz » June 14th, 2013, 8:59 pm

They are vastly cheaper online Annie, and if you are in chinatown they are 1.04 a pack at the Japan centre.

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby Annie » June 15th, 2013, 9:26 am

Wish they were cheaper io I can't find them for anything less than £1.50 a pack with postage on top of that. So that still makes H&B (the only place round here that sells them) cheaper. Some advertise as free postage but that is only if you spend £20+
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Annie » June 16th, 2013, 9:30 pm

I made a potato and spinach galette for tea tonight.

Serves 3 or if really hungry 2 but that would take you over the 300.

400 g potatoes 300
1 tsp salt & black pepper 0
1 large egg 74
100 g light cream cheese 231
200 g spinach washed 46

651 calories for the whole thing.
217 if having a third then add on salad/veggies to go with it.

Keeping the skins on the potatoes par boil them for 10 minutes. Allow to cool enough to handle them and remove the skins and slice thinly.
Chop and then cook the spinach for a couple of minutes in the microwave or steam. Put the spinach in a sieve, squeeze and drain of any excess liquid.
Beat the egg and cream cheese together, season and mix in the spinach. Assemble the galatte by oiling a 6 inch spring form tin. place a layer of potato slices on the bottom and sides of the tin. layer the spinach mixture and potatoes ending in a layer of potatoes.
cover with a layer of oiled baking parchment and bake in a preheated oven for 45 minutes removing the baking paper for the last 10 minutes.
Allow to cool for 5 minutes before releasing the spring for and serving.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby amazing » June 16th, 2013, 11:04 pm

Best way to dry spinach is to use a metal sieve and a bowl slightly smaller. Put spinach in sieve and then press down with the bowl, it will take out any excess water. Better still, wash spinach then put in a salad spinner then into a pot with a lid and give it two minutes, no excess water. Don't use kitchen roll or a cloth, it will just stick to it.
Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.
(Edith Sitwell)
amazing
Registered

Postby Annie » June 17th, 2013, 4:09 am

I use a soup ladle and a sieve but a bowl would work better as you would have more control over the whole pressure area rather than via the handle.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby AnnInSpain » June 22nd, 2013, 1:28 pm

Lee is fiddling on my laptop and can't be bothered to log out and back in:

Celeriac "fries"

They taste a bit like roast parsnips, and are not quite as nice as my butternut fries. But at 18cal per 100g (raw weight) it's really worth trying them"

Ham, egg, and Butternut "fries"
Butternut however just work better, and are about 34cal per 100g.

As potatoes work out at 72cal per 100g either are good.
Last edited by AnnInSpain on June 22nd, 2013, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnnInSpain
Registered

Postby Annie » June 22nd, 2013, 2:39 pm

Were they cooked in an oven with those calories.

I gave away my fryer some 5 years ago. and tend to 'fry' things either in a frying pan or in the oven and 9 times out of ten using spray oil.

I don't do enough fried foods to warrant an Actifry or similar thing it would end up sat in a cupboard for far too long and at those prices it is throwing away money.

I will give the butternut ones a go.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Riocaz » June 22nd, 2013, 9:11 pm

I used a tefal actifry Annie, but you can do very similar in the oven.

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby Annie » June 23rd, 2013, 9:45 pm

thanks will try this very soon :tu:
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby dennispc » June 24th, 2013, 8:51 am

OH and I spent a long time in large branch of WHS, going through all the 5:2 and >300 calorie recipe books. Eventually we found one that appeared to match what we want, that is grams and calories listed by each ingredient as well as a reference list, in that way we can box and cox to suit our needs.

Eventually, we found one with the rather unfortunate title (for us :shock: ), ‘The 5:2 Bikini Diet’. no doubt putting part of a bikini clad lady's backside on the front cover was meant to sell it.

The pages of recipes listed <100, <150, <200, <300 are really useful, though neither of us cared much for the rest of the book. We’ve tweaked a few of them and felt pleased to have a plate of salad, plus hard boiled egg and lean bacon for example.

However, the flaws are in the calorie counts - there are ten pages of useful calorie count references or so we thought. However, it lists a peeled clementine as 604 calories. Perhaps it was a clementine version of chocolate orange! :lol:

It lists a skinless and boned chicken breast as 148 calories for 100gms, yet in one on the recipes (for two), two chicken breasts @ 150gms each produce 318 calories, even my poor maths can see that’s not right.

We’ll stick with the recipes as they allow us to achieve what we want, but is there a site with a calorie count per 100g, that can be guaranteed to be right? Mostly I use caloriecount but is that accurate?
dennispc
Registered

Postby Riocaz » June 24th, 2013, 10:09 am

Err Skinless and boned chicken breast is only about 110cal per 100g according to Tesco's labelling...

And there are variations on everything for calorie counts.

So for example, according to Tesco there are 18cal per 100g of raw celeriac.

According to fatsecret it's 42cal per 100g?!?

That's a massive difference.

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby dennispc » June 24th, 2013, 7:17 pm

Thanks Riocaz, hey ho, twas ever thus. :D Tomorrow is a fasting day, I could save a lot of money just buying one Clementine and getting my 600 calories all in one go. Unfortunately, further up the page one food item is blank for calories and we're guessing everything has to move up one space. Poor proof reading.
dennispc
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 25th, 2013, 9:06 am

Riocaz wrote:Err Skinless and boned chicken breast is only about 110cal per 100g according to Tesco's labelling...

And there are variations on everything for calorie counts.

So for example, according to Tesco there are 18cal per 100g of raw celeriac.

According to fatsecret it's 42cal per 100g?!?

That's a massive difference.

The calorie count for the chicken is the same according to both Morrison's and Sainsbury

I bought some tofu yesterday - couldn't believe the variation in calorie count, presumably according to how much it is pressed/drained, ranging from 76 per 100g (Cauldron) via 96 (Clear Spot) to a stonking 134 (Taifun)

Probably explains why Taifun cooks the best - it's more concentrated!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Riocaz » June 27th, 2013, 1:08 pm

Well the celeriac and butternut love-fest continues in the Riocaz household. :)

I ate 2 whole butternut squashes (1.35kg) as "fries" (with BBQ sauce to dip them in).

I have a Celeriac I bought too, and I'm thinking about making a something gratinlike for dinner tonight... I'm thinking sliced celeriac & leeks, stock, some low fat creme fraiche lots of black pepper and maybe a touch of garlic.

900g celeriac (162cal)
1 stock cube (19cal)
50g WW creme fraiche (38cal)
1 small leek - 200g (54cal)
1 garlic clove (5cal)

That's 278cal total & presumably that's going to be enough for more than one dinner (assuming it's edible of course).

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Next

Return to Menu 5 : 2