Celeriac (kinda) Savoyade:

This is an area for the discussion of 5:2 recipes and the fast diet in general.

Celeriac (kinda) Savoyade:

Postby Riocaz » December 30th, 2013, 2:15 pm

2.7kg of celeriac peeled and sliced as finely as you can manage. (486cal)
125g lowest fat cream cheese (142cal)
60ml boiling water (0cal)
2 chicken oxo cubes (34cal)
25g garlic (37cal)
Black pepper
salt (only a little though as the oxo is salty too)

500g tomatoes sliced: Optional (90cal)

1, Optional but speeds things up and makes the assembly a lot easier: Microwave the celeriac in batches until it's floppy and mostly cooked. I do it in 4 batches and each batch takes about 7 minutes
2, Mix the cream cheese, water, oxo to form a creamy sauce.
3, Layer the celeriac in a deep dish and pour over the sauce, then cover with foil. If you microwaved your celeriac then just mix the sauce into the park cooked celeriac in the dish.
4, Bake for about 60-80 minutes at 160c (If you've microwaved the celeriac this can be reduced to 20 minutes and there is no real need for the foil). The celeriac shiould now be soft and easily pierced with a knife.
4, Top with the tomatoes, remove the foil and turn up the oven to 180c continue to bake for another 20-30 minutes until it's nicely crusted and brown.

Calorie total for the dish: 789cal and will serve 8 at about 100cal a portion (or if you are greedy like me, 200cal a portion)

And yes Ian I know this is in no way really a Savoyade which uses Crème Fraiche, not cream cheese. But for me I wouldn't use the rest of a pot of Crème Fraiche, I might use the cream cheese hence the substitution.
Attachments
1508651_10152656609282715_785800239_n.jpg
Not the greatest picture of it. This was left uncovered for about 30 minutes too long, hence the tomatoes being a darker than I intended.
Board Admin and general dogsbody

It's always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, you're on your own. -- James Beard

Onwards and Downwards!
Can't login? Please try this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13153
Riocaz
Site Admin

Re: Celeriac (kinda) Savoyade:

Postby ianinfrance » December 30th, 2013, 10:40 pm

Riocaz wrote:And yes Ian I know this is in no way really a Savoyade which uses Crème Fraiche, not cream cheese. But for me I wouldn't use the rest of a pot of Crème Fraiche, I might use the cream cheese hence the substitution.
Grin. :lol: :lol: :lol: Actually "not a lot of people know this" but a Gratin Savoyard (snigger) is very often made with stock (and cheese) while the one with cream - fraiche or otherwise - is a Gratin Dauphinois. But if you call it "kinda", then there's no problem IMO, though I'd be tempted just to call it a Gratin de Celeri-rave (if you wanted to give it a frenchified name) or - horrid - Gratinated Celeriac.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » January 1st, 2014, 12:32 pm

I made something similar, using a mix of sliced celeriac, a sweet potato, a parsnip, and a red onion to give 2 to 3 portions (the 'snip & the sweet potato were quite small and I used the same volume of celeriac)

I sliced them all using the Magimix, mixed them up well with a little seasoning, put them in a Pyrex soufflé dish, lightly buttered (I could have used spray to reduce the calories but I wanted the flavour of the butter), poured over a little strong chicken stock, covered and microwaved for 10 minutes

half an hour before serving I brushed the top with a little butter and put it in a moderate oven until nicely browned

Went very well with glazed gammon

Might try with the low fat cream cheese next time though, rather than the butter; I have taken to buying those little individual pots, as they keep for months in the fridge whereas if I buy a (notionally more economical) tub it either goes off, or I end up doing something to use it up instead of what I want to do (or pigging out)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Riocaz » January 2nd, 2014, 12:21 pm

I was umming and ahhing about that myself Sue. I decided to but the bigger pot and try freezing it. It will probably split when defrosted, but for this use I MIGHT be able to use it with judicious application of my hand blender... ;)

After all once cooked the look will be mostly hidden anyway.
Board Admin and general dogsbody

It's always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, you're on your own. -- James Beard

Onwards and Downwards!
Can't login? Please try this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13153
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby suffolk » January 10th, 2014, 8:52 am

Thought this link might be of interest - it gives some 500 cal veggie recipes for 5:2 diet - obviously publicity for a book of the same http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/01 ... _hp_ref=uk :D

NB I've not checked the recipes for calorie calculations.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » January 10th, 2014, 10:33 pm

Riocaz wrote:I decided to but the bigger pot and try freezing it
That will give you a terrible headache. :lol: :lol:
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Return to Menu 5 : 2