[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Green Tomatoes and Red Chillies.....

Green Tomatoes and Red Chillies.....

A preservers paradise. Jams and chutneys everywhere.

Green Tomatoes and Red Chillies.....

Postby Suelle » October 3rd, 2012, 8:20 am

...... sounds like a book title! :lol:

However, I have both and would like to make some sort of preserved hot (as in spicy) condiment. I don't want a chutney with large lumps of recognisable vegetables and sultanas, or a sauce that pours. I suppose it helps to know what I don't want, but it means I don't know what sort of recipes I should be looking for! Do I want what is described as a 'jam' to get something that is a thick purée, can I use a chutney recipe and chop everything more finely to start, or do I blend after cooking?

Can anyone please recommend a recipe for me to try or point me in the right direction?
Suelle
Global Moderator

Re: Green Tomatoes and Red Chillies.....

Postby ianinfrance » October 3rd, 2012, 8:23 pm

--
All the best
Ian

The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Suelle » October 3rd, 2012, 9:13 pm

Thanks, Ian. I've got a while to make a decision - green tomatoes are green tomatoes, after all!

Going to make courgette and lemon jam first! :D
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby karadekoolaid » October 4th, 2012, 3:30 am

A chutney doesn't necessarily have to have large chunks. In fact, fresh chutneys from India ( which were the original chutneys) are generally smooth; it's the pickles which have chunks in them.
Sultanas? Blitz them in the blender, then you don't have to see them.
Here's a recipe I haven't actually tried, but which looks right to me:
1.5 kgs Green tomatoes, deseeded and sliced very thin
2 large onions,blended
450 gms green apples,peeled and sliced
1 green pepper
225 gms sultanas
3 chiles
1/2 " ginger
(blitz the pepper, sultanas, ginger and chiles in the blender with a little of the vinegar)
1 tbsp yellow mustard seed
1 tbsp black peppercorns
1 tbsp coriander seeds
2 bay leaves
2 tbsps salt
350 gms sugar
450 mls cider vinegar

PREPARATION

Put all the ingredients in a large pan and bring to a boil.Lower the heat to a simmer and cook for about 45 minutes, unti the fruit has "melted".
If you prefer the spices ground; then grind them first. I think I would.

Bottle while still hot
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Suelle » October 4th, 2012, 6:55 am

Thanks - that looks a good recipe to start with, especially as I'd only need to buy the green pepper - everything else I already have!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Return to The Larder