Lime pickle recipe please

A preservers paradise. Jams and chutneys everywhere.

Lime pickle recipe please

Postby tezza » October 13th, 2012, 10:29 am

I plan on making onion bahjees later on today, and realising I don't have any pickle/chutney in the cupboard to serve with them, thought maybe I could put the four limes I have in my fruit bowl to use and make lime pickle. But I don't have a recipe for lime pickle and have never made it before.

Is this something you can whip up quickly to serve same day, or does it need to mature?

Do you have a recipe you could share please? Either for today or for future use? Thanks! :chef:
tezza
Registered

Re: Lime pickle recipe please

Postby suffolk » October 13th, 2012, 10:41 am

Hi Tezza,

Here's one of Mamta's http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_dis ... p?id=13514 but it does say it needs a week to mature.

if you look here http://limepickle.com/chutneys-pickles/ ... ecipe.html and scroll down you'll find a recipe for a lime pickle you can eat immediately, although it improves with age. I've not tried this one but it looks ok :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » October 13th, 2012, 12:23 pm

Lime pickle definitely improves with age. Most of the recipes I've used require marinating the cut limes in lime juice and/or salt for at least 24 hours, then leaving the jar in a warm place for about a week or so.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby tezza » October 13th, 2012, 4:41 pm

I got side tracked making a roast dinner en croute, so no lime pickle today but thanks for the recipes and tips, this shall be one for tomorrow along with the onion bahjees. :chef: :tu:
tezza
Registered

Return to The Larder