Ask the Mods (and the rest of the board) Mark2

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Ask the Mods (and the rest of the board) Mark2

Postby Riocaz » November 26th, 2012, 4:19 pm

After the sad demise of the last incarnation of this thread in the Spam war...

This is a thread where you can ask general questions about the board itself.
Board Admin and general dogsbody

It's always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, you're on your own. -- James Beard

Onwards and Downwards!
Can't login? Please try this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13153
Riocaz
Site Admin

Re: Ask the Mods (and the rest of the board) Mark2

Postby jamesandkatherina » November 26th, 2012, 4:44 pm

Lee
Is there any way you can stop the PITA spammers from posting? like wz71x6y6pa is not a name to be trusted IMO of course.
After Will had told me how(press the triangle) I reported 4 posts in one day,, how sad is that.
;jimlad;
ImageImage

I'm not an alcoholic, .......... alcoholics go to meetings, I go to the pub.
jamesandkatherina
Registered

Postby Riocaz » November 26th, 2012, 5:20 pm

If I could... Don't you think I would have done so already?

If you think it's annoying imagine how us mods feel.
Last edited by Riocaz on November 26th, 2012, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, you're on your own. -- James Beard

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby ianinfrance » November 26th, 2012, 5:27 pm

Hi James

I think that Will and Lee are working on it, but basically ordinary mods can't. When they have posted, we can look at a new username and if their IP originates in one or two places, notorious for spamming, and if we are very much on the qui vive we can zap them before they transgress, but to do that it quite a labour of love and can result in someone being zapped in error. Also - I've not yet found a way of (as a mere mod) of discovering where a person WILL be posting from, if they haven't yet posted. Another possibility is to put people into a new user category, where all posts have to be reviewed by mods. As we will remember from the Beeb days, although that reduced the number of spammy posts, it merely meant that people behaved themselves for half a dozen posts and THEN spammed.

To be honest, until and unless Lee and Will can find a way of automating the process, I think it doesn't work too badly if people are vigilant about reporting spam to us. Someone is usually around most of the time. For example, I zapped 7 posts (Suelle zapped the 8th) from a spammer within about 15 mins of them posting and banned them - thanks to the people who warned us.

Do you really find it too bad - when we don't mess up?
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby jamesandkatherina » November 26th, 2012, 5:43 pm

Ian
I think you are all doing a great job, just such a shame that the PITA's have decided to invade this board.
Spose while on here they are leaving other sites alone and I have noticed they join at strange times, when I get up in the middle of the night I will have to log on.
;jimlad;
ImageImage

I'm not an alcoholic, .......... alcoholics go to meetings, I go to the pub.
jamesandkatherina
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » November 26th, 2012, 6:03 pm

jamesandkatherina wrote:such a shame that the PITA's have decided to invade this board.
Having read the phpbb forum a little, it seems that there is a place where people who want to spam our boards can get help and information - including lists of answers to captcha questions. The nett result is that a lot of forums using the same software as ours are also being heavily spammed. Purps was talking about 50 spammers in a day!

I suspect that the people who made the superb software that runs these forums are probably working on improved anti-spam security, but of course - like all these things, one can't prevent something if you don't know what it is that you will have to prevent. So essentially they can only react to something after it happens. We'll just have to live with it in the meantime and hope that not too many of us get zapped by friendly fire - which as we all know can happen only too easily.
--
All the best
Ian
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Kitewatcher » November 26th, 2012, 6:06 pm

Zip!!! THere comes another one!!
Kitewatcher
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 26th, 2012, 6:07 pm

I never really understand spamming - it takes a certain amount of work and a certain amount of computer power to acheive what? Just getting zapped - surely most peopel know by now never to click on a link in a stupid post like that?

James - the strange times come either because they are in a differtn time zone such as India or China, or because they are an automated programme that can run at any time
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Riocaz » November 26th, 2012, 6:33 pm

In this case pushing the number of links to your website up and thus making your page go up google's search list.

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby Riocaz » November 26th, 2012, 6:37 pm

I've turned capcha back on rather than the question/answer form of checking. I know many of you have trouble with it on the rare occasions you have to use it, but tough it's harder to bypass.

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » November 26th, 2012, 6:38 pm

Riocaz wrote:In this case pushing the number of links to your website up and thus making your page go up google's search list.

Aaah

In that case better stick to Bing ;)

Couldn't find an elephant standing under a flood light
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby aero280 » November 26th, 2012, 8:24 pm

There are six new members since the Capcha was turned on, but lets see. They probably by-passed Capcha because they got the update e-mail before it was set.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby uschi » November 26th, 2012, 11:06 pm

I'm a great afficionado of Capcha. :? :lol: But I shall suffer for the sake of the community. ;) ;) ;) :lol:

Seriously, thanks for all your hard work!!!
uschi
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » November 26th, 2012, 11:09 pm

uschi wrote:But I shall suffer for the sake of the community.
With luck, especially if you make sure your store your login and pword carefully, you should never need to use it. In fact I suspect that a question like "what's the fourteenth word on our login page?" might be harder for the automatic spam engines to suss.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby uschi » November 26th, 2012, 11:33 pm

I have a little black book with everything written down. Strangely enough when things went haywire a few days ago my password didn't work. But it does now.

A few biscuits for the hungry mods.

uschi
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » November 27th, 2012, 12:24 am

Yum yum, thanks. I can see Aero has been a busy boy too. I came back on 5 mins ago to see if there were any new "members". There were a couple, but he'd already banned them.

This biccys remind me of some we used to have when oi wor a lad. "Gleichgewicht" Equal weights (as you'd expect) of butter, flour, sugar and ground almond. Half were made as solid disks the other half like washers. Then you put jam on the solid ones and topped with the washers. Finally, sprinkled with icing sugar. Not bad. Probably Austrian.
Last edited by ianinfrance on November 27th, 2012, 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby aero280 » November 27th, 2012, 12:28 am

I'm signing off now. Bedtime. Busy day tomorrow if it's dry.

If wet, I'm cooking. I've been asked to cook something for the church fair!! :o
aero280
Site Admin

Postby uschi » November 27th, 2012, 12:31 am

Similar here! What you describe is called "Spitzbuben" (little rascals) here. Probably after those who steal them.

These are piped out. One recipe did indeed have almost equal weights of everything, but not this one.There is Marzipan instead of sugar, that's why the bramble jelly works so well, they aren't overly sweet.
uschi
Registered

Postby uschi » November 27th, 2012, 12:32 am

What will you make???
uschi
Registered

Postby Rosie » December 20th, 2012, 8:14 pm

I think I have a problem - I know I am an infrequent poster now [mea culpa] but even though I have ticked the box [or whatever] to keep me logged in I now have to log in each time I even want to look at Wildfood.

Am I or my ISP on a "norty" list?
Rosie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 20th, 2012, 10:13 pm

I have to log in nearly every time as well - I thought it was my laptop being awkward.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Rosie » January 1st, 2013, 8:46 am

Good morning

As of yesterday I am using a loan computer while mine is being rebuilt/upgraded/more bells and whistles added etc. I have used this one before - it has Windows 7 as does mine, and I have been able to find and download the programs and add-ons that I will need until my own computer is returned.

But. Even though I had my password for Wildfood written down in my password notebook, I had to request a new password yesterday.

It is now 10.45am my time and so far I have had to request yet another new password this morning, and sign in four times - so far.

I have not closed the computer, nor have I logged off from Wildfood. Wildfood knew me [eventually] yesterday on this computer and yet it does not know me each time I try to get on so far today.

Hellup please
Rosie
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 1st, 2013, 9:32 am

I need to get to my spare computer where I'm not automatically logged on to check, but my first thought is, does your password meet the new rules? It has to have letters and numbers and things in it.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Rosie » January 1st, 2013, 10:50 am

aero280 wrote:I need to get to my spare computer where I'm not automatically logged on to check, but my first thought is, does your password meet the new rules? It has to have letters and numbers and things in it.

Yes - I have always used letters [both upper and lower case] plus numbers and symbols in passwords.

This morning I had to log in again. Used the same name [Rosie, what else?] and password I used yesterday after having had to change the password for this loan computer - only to be told that the user name was wrong, then the password was wrong, then both were wrong, filled in the CAPCHA [or whatever it is called] only to be told that was wrong.

So twice had to request a new password and then try to change it - and got locked out again.

But the problem is not just with this loan computer as I first mentioned this having to keep logging on each time on 20 December. So it has happened now on two different computers. Both using Windows 7 and both using the latest Firefox.

Dunno.
Rosie
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » January 1st, 2013, 11:33 am

Dunno what it is, Rosie. The other day, to help test the new procedures, I created a new ID as "FuriousofForges". I had no trouble doing so at all. This is either something you're doing, or that is associated with using your IP, it's not a problem with the BB software - honestly.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby FuriousofForges » January 1st, 2013, 11:34 am

And here I am having logged out as Ian, and back in as FoF.
FuriousofForges

Postby ianinfrance » January 1st, 2013, 11:36 am

And here I am back as myself, after approving my past as FoF, because that ID is still a "new user".
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby aero280 » January 1st, 2013, 12:52 pm

Rosie, when you login with a new password, are you ticking the "log me me automatically each visit" box?

If you don't you will have to log in each time.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Rosie » January 1st, 2013, 1:24 pm

aero280 wrote:Rosie, when you login with a new password, are you ticking the "log me me automatically each visit" box?

If you don't you will have to log in each time.

Yes. OK - I first reported this on 20 December and Earthmaiden also said she had to log in again, so I thought OK, maybe it is my computer playing silly boogers. Yesterday Effie took my computer and left me a loan one, and yesterday after I had downloaded FF and other programs I came onto Wildfood, and yes, I had to ask for a new password as WF did not accept my previous one.

This morning I could not get back onto WF - it kept telling me that my user name is the email address I use for WF but then said wrong user name. Refused to accept the name Rosie. Refused to accept the new password from yesterday.

Refused to accept CAPTCHA or whatever it is.

Twice I received a password change via email - WF refused to accept either.

OK I eventually managed to get in and changed the given password to one of my choosing, but the problem cannot be my computer as this is not my computer, and this has happened on both my own and now this loan one.

If it is my ISP that is the problem then I guess that Wildfood has somehow put a block on Israeli IPs, as have far too many other websites, because of spamming.

But if so, how come I eventually managed to get here?

I am not a spammer - I think most people on Wildfood have known me for long enough to know that I am not a spammer.

So why am I having all these problems now?

And what am I supposed to do if I am repeatedly requested to log in again and again even though I tick the Remember Me box?
Rosie
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 1st, 2013, 1:28 pm

We can see you. So you are not blocked by Wildfood.

There is nothing being done by Wildfood that is making you log in each time.

Some ISPs use a thing called "dynamic IP addresses" . This means that the unique IP code you use will change every time you log in to the service. This may cause you to lose the auto log in. BUT it won't change your name or password.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Rosie » January 1st, 2013, 1:56 pm

aero280 wrote:We can see you. So you are not blocked by Wildfood.

There is nothing being done by Wildfood that is making you log in each time.

Some ISPs use a thing called "dynamic IP addresses" . This means that the unique IP code you use will change every time you log in to the service. This may cause you to lose the auto log in. BUT it won't change your name or password.

Will - this morning Wildfood kept insisting that my user name was the Gmail address with which I use for this website. But then it refused to accept it.

This morning I requested yet another new password. Wildfood refused to accept it.

Postby earthmaiden » December 21st, 2012, 1:13 am
I have to log in nearly every time as well - I thought it was my laptop being awkward.

That makes two of us, and I am 100% certain that earthmaiden does not have the same IP as I do.
Rosie
Registered

Postby uschi » January 1st, 2013, 2:04 pm

Rosie, one thing to check is whether your computer is still taking cookies from this site.

I have dim memories of having similar problems last year and if I remember correctly it involved a slightly different link to the site.
uschi
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 1st, 2013, 2:08 pm

That's a good call Uschi!

If you have borrowed a computer, is the computer set to refuse cookies? Or some other restriction?
aero280
Site Admin

Postby ianinfrance » January 1st, 2013, 3:34 pm

Rosie,

You keep saying that you can't get on, yet here you arę, posting but at the same time saying you can't get on. If you couldn't get on with your existing persona, your sig would be unknown and you wouldn't be able to post. As Aero said the Wildfood BBS software is not singling you out, so please try to analyse what you or your computer, or software or ISP was doing that wasn't working right with this BB software. The more you describe clearly and unemotionally what kit you use the better. "My borrowed computer"doesn't really help. Is it a PC? Does it run Windows and if so what variant? What browser (version number etc) are you using? What cookie settings do you use? Lastly, EXACTLY what do you do that does manage to get you on again? We should then have enough information to suggest some things you could do to prevent things going wrong again. For example, if you are using some kind of windows cleaner that deletes cookies, it will delete the cookie that Wildfoods sets on your computer to know who you are, when you arrive at the front page.

I would add that from time to time, I leave here and then on attempting to come back here again, find I have to log in again even if I'd previously checked the button "log me in automatically". So I do so without agonising over it. My browser (Firefox) sees me start to type my nickname and then, after one letter, offers me ianinfrance, which i accept and it then enters my password for me automatically. It works without fuss every single time. I have Firefox set to manage my passwords automatically by the way, and to accept cookies.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Rosie » January 1st, 2013, 4:18 pm

aero280 wrote:That's a good call Uschi!

If you have borrowed a computer, is the computer set to refuse cookies? Or some other restriction?

This is a computer that Effie occasionally loans out to certain people while he is working on theirs, and I think this is maybe the third time he has loaned it to me. It arrives with the hard drive wiped clean and when he takes it back he wipes everything off it - which means I can download whatever I want, do whatever I want, and know that when it goes back he will wipe it so that it is empty when he next loans it.

I am not sure if I am using the correct terminology or not, so please excuse me if "wipe clean" is incorrect.

So no, it is not set to refuse cookies and has no restrictions whatsoever. It is virtually a blank computer when it arrives so I have to download the programs I need. And for some things I have to change passwords. But whether I am able to use the same passwords or need to change them to enter a site, WF is the only one giving me problems.

As I said, I first reported a problem on 20 December, on my own computer. There was really nothing wrong with my computer but I wanted more capacity, more memory, more just about everything, which is why Effie took it yesterday and left me this loan computer.

And I have been getting the same log-in problems on this computer.

So. The only logical thing that my small brain can come up with is that WF somehow does not like my IP - in which case it is not my problem but the problem of WF.
Rosie
Registered

Postby amazing » January 1st, 2013, 4:28 pm

Rosie next time you come on here, bookmark the front page and do not log-off. Just change the page to something else. This is what I do and usually don't have any bother.
Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.
(Edith Sitwell)
amazing
Registered

Postby Rosie » January 1st, 2013, 4:55 pm

amazing wrote:Rosie next time you come on here, bookmark the front page and do not log-off. Just change the page to something else. This is what I do and usually don't have any bother.

I am sorry but I am obviously not making myself clear.

I never log off. I have never logged off. Neither my own computer nor this, when I have had it, are ever switched off. Just set to "sleep" mode at night.

And this log-on problem started on 20 December. It is nothing to do with this loan computer.
Rosie
Registered

Postby Suelle » January 1st, 2013, 5:45 pm

Rosie wrote:
amazing wrote:Rosie next time you come on here, bookmark the front page and do not log-off. Just change the page to something else. This is what I do and usually don't have any bother.

I am sorry but I am obviously not making myself clear.

I never log off. I have never logged off. Neither my own computer nor this, when I have had it, are ever switched off. Just set to "sleep" mode at night.

And this log-on problem started on 20 December. It is nothing to do with this loan computer.

Rosie, we must say things bluntly too - if you are the only one having this problem, then the problem is with your equipment, not the board set-up or settings!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Rosie » January 1st, 2013, 5:55 pm

Two different computers? Identical problems with two different computers?

Is earthmaiden also using either of these computers? She also had to keep logging in and I am sure she was not using either my computer or this loan one.

Think maybe it is time Wildfood and I parted ways.

Pity though.
Rosie
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 1st, 2013, 6:02 pm

I'm not hugely IT clever - I leave that to my IT techie SIL who sorts my laptop out, but from past experience I suspect that the Firewall settings might be too high to allow Cookies - then even if you don't log out, when it goes into sleep mode it may well sort of 'log itself out' - mine used to do that. I also have a one-click clean-up sort of programme, and that gets rid of all my cookies so I have to log into everything again after I've used that.

And of course, some laptops use the opportunity of being in Sleep Mode to do a scan, which may affect cookies etc.

When my laptop went for a 'wash and brush up' it came back with it's Firewall settings so high that I couldn't get into my usual sites without logging in afresh every time, until I rang SIL and he talked me through finding the Firewall settings and moving the slider.

If the same person set up your pc as well as the one you're using now the settings are likely to be the same.

It's aggravating I know, but I don't think there's anything that can be done this end.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » January 1st, 2013, 7:50 pm

Rosie,

How many times do we need to tell you the same thing. There are about 400 more or less active members here (plus some sleepers). From time to time minor glitches happen, most of us are humble enough to realise that we've done something wrong, or something has gone wrong, somewhere. We have a good look at what is going on and fix it. You have problems and instantly yell and shout that Wildfood (in future WF) hates you, that it cannot possibly be a problem at your end because of this ludicrous reason or another. How many times do you need to be told the same thing before you accept it. The problem/s lie/s in YOUR computer/s. If it has happened on several different machines, than then an unkind person might say it was a severe case of PEBKAC. (Look it up on Wiki)

Now. If you WANT help, then try answering some specific questions.

You say you never log off WF. but I can tell you you're plain wrong. As a Mod, I can see exactly who is logged into WF at any time, even if they choose to be hidden. To give you an example, as I write (7pm UK time) you are NOT logged into WF, you may think that because you haven't specifically logged out, you remain logged in, you ain't. What can happen, IF YOU have all the right settings on any computers YOU use, then it is possible that you will be logged in automatically when you visit the appropriate page of WF, which can either be the main index page, or the login page (and possibly other's I've not found yet). But that is completely different. If you shut down your computer you are not logged in, if you shut down Firefox (in future FF) you aren't logged in, if you leave WF you are no longer logged in. These are FACTS. Accept them.

So,... several people have tried to help. Did you look at their suggestions seriously and try to find out what settings you might have wrong?

Secondly. WF is set up to reject multiple accounts from the same IP address. I don't know what it does about the same person using multiple IP addresses. I've just had a look at your account details, and can tell you that you have used around (sorry if I didn't waste my time counting every one of them) 200 different IP addresses to log on from. The two commonest are 79.178.116.229 (and another similar one) and 109.67.121.10 I can look them up and tell you what they are, if you like. That makes me suspect that you have what is called dynamic IP handling as aero suspected. This is true for many of us, but it does mean you occasionally need to log in manually even if you have told WF to log you in automatically. How the F**** do you think WF knows who has arrived at the site? It checks their IP address and/or tries to look at a cookie in their browser. So if it doesn't recognise the one and can't find the other, it can't possibly log you in automatically, can it? So how do most of us cope with that? We tell FF or Chrome or Internet Exploder, or Safari or any other browsers to keep track of our passwords. Have you specifically done this? If you don't know, then you only have yourself to blame for your problems. because I know for a fact I've mentioned this on a number of occasions

You said "I had to download FF" so how on earth do you expect FF to have a WF cookie installed, or to know what your WF password is? Especially if you were using a different machine, as it's possible it was calling from a different IP as well. So in effect you are expecting WF to be psychic. It receives a call from Ms GB, you seem to feel it is supposed to know that an unknown machine, from an unknown IP which doesn't have a WF cookie installed is really being used by you. FF could tell it, but not out of the box.

So. What is your cookie setting in FF?
Does FF manage passwords?

BTW, just because Earthmaiden or me, or anyone else also has minor log in problems once in a while, that doesn't mean that WF is at fault or picking on us. It can have all sorts of causes, nearly always related to things we've done or not done ourselves.

Lastly...
If you want to leave WF, that is entirely your right. Forgive me if I say that you have cried wolf too many times for us to take the faintest notice of such threats.

Rosie = Happy New Year, could you please, pretty please, make your New year Resolution to listen to good advice instead of rejecting it automatically because you don't understand it.

To the other mods... if you feel I've been unjust here. Do please zap this post.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Riocaz » January 1st, 2013, 8:41 pm

A little blunt Ian, but I think that it was justified. There are only so many times you can say something nicely after all. And this is hardly the first time Rosie has had this problem...

It's rather insulting that you seem to think we are petty enough to implement a system just to annoy you Rosie... I assure you that doing so would require major that only I would be able to do... And frankly I wouldn't have the time to do it even if I were petty enough...

The fact is: Everyone will occasionally get logged out.

If you have set your system to automatically log you in then it will set a cookie. And the cookie and the board have to recognise one another. Changes at either end (caused by updates and upgrades) can cause that recognition to fail. And as such everyone occasionally gets them so every time you have an issue it's not surprising that someone else will recently have had to login recently enough to agree they had to do it too... That doesn't mean it's a widespread problem.

The only last time we had a major problem with it it was traced to a very obscure caching system used one ISP, but it's extremely unlikely your ISP has just decided to use a similar system. It's far more likely that your system is either not allowing cookies, or is setting a corrupt cookie that doesn't work. Either way I am afraid we cannot help beyond giving the advice already given. If this doesn't help then I suggest you speak to Effie and ask them to check your system.
Last edited by Riocaz on January 1st, 2013, 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Personal Messages

Postby philFrance » January 2nd, 2013, 11:14 am

Ian: I received notification of your pm, and clicked on the link, but I can't see the message. Sorry: I'm useless with this stuff.

At any rate, I've just received our first enquiry re rentals, and I've turned them down, since they have a dog (I'm allergic to them). I've put him on to your website.

Cheers

Phil
philFrance
Registered

Re: Personal Messages

Postby aero280 » January 2nd, 2013, 11:33 am

Look at the top left of the screen. You should see the line "User Control Panel (1 new message) * View your posts".

Click on the "1 new message" bit and you will get a list of the private messages. Then click on the message title in the list and you should see the message.

If you have already been there and not noticed, it might say "0 new messages", but click on it anyway.
aero280
Site Admin

Re: Personal Messages

Postby philFrance » January 2nd, 2013, 5:00 pm

Thanks! I got it to work!

Phil
philFrance
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 10th, 2013, 10:58 am

My habit when coming to look at the board is to view my own posts first by clicking on "View youir posts" - however I am now finding this a very slow search, so I am using "view unread posts"" instead, as this runs much, much faster

is this a gerneral issue, or have I just posted too often?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 10th, 2013, 6:05 pm

Yes, I'm noticing this - not sure if it's recent or not.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby jrc » January 15th, 2013, 1:37 pm

I am so sorry for being a numpty but I have just started using the PM system. I was given good advice re deleting messages but still can't work it out. Please can someone in the simplest of terms tell me how to do this.

Many thanks in advance :hug: :hug: :hug:
jrc
Registered

Postby Riocaz » January 15th, 2013, 1:44 pm

click the box (or boxes) on the right hand side of the messages in the list. Then go right down the bottom and choose "delete marked" in the dropdown and then click "go"

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby ianinfrance » January 15th, 2013, 3:21 pm

Just to amplify this - in case anyone else is having a bit of trouble... When you are logged in at the main index and click on "Control Panel". a page appears with six tabs across the page. They say
Code: Select all
Overview   Profile  Board Preferences  Private Messages  Usergroups   Friends & Foes.

I'll not explain what all of them mean (partly because I'm not sure that I know ! :oops: )

So... if you click on "Private Messages" a new tab appears with a menu on the left,

Compose message
Manage PM drafts
-------------------
Inbox
Stored messages
Outbox
Sent messages
-----------
Rules, folders and settings

If you have created any special folders (I have created one called "orders" so if anyone asks me to bring something from France, I copy their message and my reply to that folder), they will appear between Stored messages and Outbox

The open tab is that headed "Compose messages"

Now... if you have received any private messages and you click on Inbox, the tab changes to show the subjects (etc) of all the private messages (up to a maximum capacity of 50) you have received. Similarly, clicking on the other tabs will open "outbox" which lists the messages awaiting collection by their destinees, "sent messages" which lists messages what HAVE been received and so on. In each case you will see a list of message titles rather in the way that normal messages are shown in discussion forums.

What you will see that is different is that on the right under a heading "Mark" each message has a little square window. By clicking on it, a tick appears in it, which shows that this message has been selected.

Under the list of messages and to the right of the page, you will see a drop down window with the default option "Mark/Unmark as important" showing and to it its right a button "Go". If you select this drop down menu, you will see that apart from the default action (Mark/Unmark as important) there are the options
"Delete Marked"
"Move marked to Stored messages"
and more movement possibilities if you have created other folders.

If you select "delete marked" and click, that's what shows up in that drop down window as selected. You can then press the "go" button and all the messages you had previously selected will be deleted.

Try it out for yourself.

Hope that's explained in sufficient detail for you?
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop