[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Lighter salad dressings

Lighter salad dressings

This is an area for the discussion of 5:2 recipes and the fast diet in general.

Lighter salad dressings

Postby StokeySue » May 1st, 2014, 12:59 pm

As summer comes along (not that you’d know it today, London is a washout. So much for May Day) I start thinking of salads

Salads in general and salads for 5:2 diet in particular. The :2 obviously being the problem

Last night I had a Thai style salad, dressed with lime juice, fish sauce, a little garlic, and garnished with sliced chillies, spring onions, and coriander. Very nice :chops: but not for every salad for the next 5 months!

I would be interested in ideas for homemade dressings, or for any bought ones worth eating. It would be good to have plan A and plan B.

I’ve looked around and so many recipes for lighter dressings make 300 ml and won’t keep for more than 24 hours or 48 at best. I either need to make less, or be able to keep it

Most bought diet dressings are :sprout: IMO but I am prepared to try any that are well-recommended
I am currently eating a mixed salad dressed with Carluccio’s Salsa di Mostarda, which is sold as a general condiment; it works well on root veg and tomatoes but not everything, at 21 kcal per 10 ml glug. Diabetics beware – virtually all those calories are sugar, it’s 51% w/v sugars.

I know I can use less of an ordinary dressing, but for 5:2 I find I want more dressing than I can “afford” if I use a nice oil in it.

Inspiration please!
StokeySue
Registered

Re: Lighter salad dressings

Postby ianinfrance » May 1st, 2014, 4:06 pm

The book we use for :2 days uses straight balsamic in smallish quantities as a dressing on (eg) rocket.. Works pretty well.
--
All the best
Ian

The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » May 1st, 2014, 4:31 pm

StokeySue
Registered

Postby Riocaz » May 1st, 2014, 5:26 pm

mmm Thanks for the soy suggestion I might have that tonight. :)

I tend to use straight lemon juice, or balsamic for dressings, or maybe use a little touch of garlic purée to liven them up. But then I've never been much of a fan of dressings on salads.
Board Admin and general dogsbody

It's always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, you're on your own. -- James Beard

Onwards and Downwards!
Can't login? Please try this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13153
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby Seatallan » May 1st, 2014, 5:48 pm

Yes, I tend to use lemon juice a lot, and lime juice. I sometimes add just the tiniest splash of olive oil. I also do much as Sue does, and make a lot of 'oriental' (and oil-free) salad dressings.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 22nd, 2014, 1:05 pm

Revisiting

I am intrigued how many of you seem to use straight lime or lemon juice as a dressing, doesn't suit my palate at all

Balsamic is fine on some things (tomatoes, peppers, onions) but not everything, as far as I'm concerned

I clearly don't have a taste for really sharp salads

However, I was reading about Yuzu juice and it seems that a popular use is Yuzu dressing; it' easy enough - half Yuzu (or other citrus) juice, half soy - but in my case today, specifically half Tamari, half fresh lemon juice

The Tamari just mellows the citrus without being itself too strong

I think adding mustard or wasabi would also work

I may go mad and invest in some real Yuzu juice
StokeySue
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 3rd, 2014, 3:39 pm

Thought I'd add to this

Real Yuzu is nice, but no great advance on lime at 1/10 the price

I have found a decent bought dressing! Righteous oil free Caper and Peppercorn, seen it in a lot of places

White balsamic condiment goes on most of the things regular aged balsamic doesn't work with, as well as all the things it does
StokeySue
Registered

Return to Menu 5 : 2