So,

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: So,

Postby StokeySue » May 21st, 2014, 11:05 am

WWordsworth wrote:"Pay by cash"
Surely one pays cash or by credit card?

Have you seen the Coin Star money counting machines in supermarket lobbies?

Their slogan is "Convert your coins into Cash!"

Has anyone told the Bank of England?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 24th, 2014, 2:14 pm

Of course, there is also the lack of informality when being addressed nowadays. Our grandmothers even called their best friends 'Mrs So & So' when talking about them and many of us dislike being called by our first names in situations where once a person would have waited to be invited to do so.

I had reason to email my local council last week with a query. The reply from them started 'Hiya Alison''

:roll: :roll:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby tezza » June 24th, 2014, 2:20 pm

EM I firmly believe in formality when dealing with anyone other than friends, where it might be considered okay to get away with it.

For example, I always start emails from work where I am not sure who is going to pick it up at the other end 'Dear Sir/Madam' even though I would never consider addressing someone I didn't know too well like that face to face. Maybe too many years working in office and it is ingrained. But once I secure a more relaxed relationship with a work associate emails will mainly start 'Hi....(name)' and the recipient seem happy to respond in the same way.
tezza
Registered

Postby uschi » June 24th, 2014, 2:21 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Not in Germany, I can assure you!!!
uschi
Registered

Postby icelesley » June 24th, 2014, 2:56 pm

I start mjy work emails with HI..... unless its for a director then it Good Afternoon..... or Good Morning.........
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Marmalade » June 24th, 2014, 3:30 pm

Recently, whilst watching a bit of Royal Ascot, I was left pondering on a comment by Clare Balding. Describing those in the various carriages she helpfully informed us that ".... [so-and-so] are facing backwards" Now, far be it from me to criticise Ms Balding (one of the very few commentators who actually refers to the Union Flag as opposed to a union jack), but the question arose ..... can you actually 'face' backwards? Discuss!! :lol:
Marmalade
Registered

Postby uschi » June 24th, 2014, 3:46 pm

If you're Blair from the Excorcist movie you can. ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
uschi
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » June 24th, 2014, 4:02 pm

Marmalade wrote:can you actually 'face' backwards?
Certainly. Think of train seats.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » June 24th, 2014, 4:18 pm

ianinfrance wrote:
Marmalade wrote:can you actually 'face' backwards?
Certainly. Think of train seats.

Yes,you are facing backwards relative to the direction of travel of the conveyance, not yourself - now that would be a good trick, if your name isn't Janus!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » June 24th, 2014, 5:43 pm

Or a politician. :lol: :lol: :lol: :evil: :evil:
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Meganthemog » June 26th, 2014, 9:27 am

When someone says "I reversed backwards" I want to scream that they went forwards then. I have just finished William Boyd's A good man in Africa and in there he uses exactly that phrase. :roll:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 1st, 2019, 8:42 am

Grrrr! I was still seething this morning from a R4 personage using the word ‘normalcy’ rather than ‘normality’ when the person she was interviewing used that rather ugly sounding Americanization too. I might explode ... :twisted:

https://grammarist.com/usage/normalcy-normality/
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 1st, 2019, 8:51 am

I've never heard that before! <shelteredlifesmilie>.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 1st, 2019, 9:03 am

Had to correct husband pronouncing 'privacy' the American way yesterday.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Rainbow » November 1st, 2019, 10:37 pm

Herbidacious wrote:Had to correct husband pronouncing 'privacy' the American way yesterday.

What is the American way, Herbi?
Rainbow
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » November 2nd, 2019, 9:14 am

Pr eye vacy
Rather than privv vacy
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 2nd, 2019, 10:24 am

As in the Rockwell song, somebody’s watching me (he’s American). Though I think you’d have to pronounce that pr eye vacy to fit the music

I’m not sure I regard that as exclusively American or wrong in British English Private is pry vat after all and I think it’s fairly normal to pronounce private and privacy the same. Though admittedly the online Oxford dictionary goes for privv
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Rainbow » November 2nd, 2019, 11:18 pm

StokeySue wrote:I’m not sure I regard that as exclusively American or wrong in British English Private is pry vat after all and I think it’s fairly normal to pronounce private and privacy the same. Though admittedly the online Oxford dictionary goes for privv

Here in Oz it's pry-vacy - so not just American as Sue said. And I was going to point out that if you said privvet (private) it sounds as if you're talking about a hedge :lol:
But then British English has no logic ;)
Rainbow
Registered

Postby uschi » November 5th, 2019, 12:20 pm

Rainbow wrote:
StokeySue wrote:I’m not sure I regard that as exclusively American or wrong in British English Private is pry vat after all and I think it’s fairly normal to pronounce private and privacy the same. Though admittedly the online Oxford dictionary goes for privv

Here in Oz it's pry-vacy - so not just American as Sue said. And I was going to point out that if you said privvet (private) it sounds as if you're talking about a hedge :lol:
But then British English has no logic ;)

Ach was! ;)
I spent my early years swearing and sweating. I had teenage Alzheimer's problems with German spelling already, but English somehow did my head in completely. I still check each time I type "before". And to this day I do not know how to spell the Sheriff of Nottingham. :lol:
uschi
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 5th, 2019, 12:29 pm

The foreign student who came here to improve his English - went straight back home when he saw the headline "Exhibition pronounced success."
Gruney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 5th, 2019, 1:57 pm

:lol: :lol:

At work, someone whose surname I had to write a lot was Sheriff. I always had to check the spelling
:rolleyes: . As a smallish child, horse was the word which stumped me every time (there are others!).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby uschi » November 5th, 2019, 3:34 pm

Gruney wrote:The foreign student who came here to improve his English - went straight back home when he saw the headline "Exhibition pronounced success."

He was lucky not to have stayed long enough to encounter a ghoti. :lol: :lol: :lol:
uschi
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 5th, 2019, 3:50 pm

My married name was very similar to enema ... it was often pronounced wrongly ... sometimes it was spelled wrongly too :shock: :rolleyes: :lol:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby uschi » November 5th, 2019, 4:17 pm

My surname "Severin" sometimes ends up with a "w" instead of a "v", sometimes it ends with a "g". All good fun.
uschi
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 5th, 2019, 4:48 pm

I still get all sorts of variations on my married surname (Harney). My favorites so far are Mrs Horney and Miss Honey. :lol:

When I was still working, we ordered stationary from a well-known stationary company (now defunct). They always addressed correspondence to Mr T Manager. :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » November 5th, 2019, 4:53 pm

Blast from the past here. What happened to FoodMary? I lost touch with her when she moved from North Wales.

Peope quite often mispronounce my name, adding an H. When they ask for Mrs ****H* I tell them, qute rightly, there is nobody here of that name.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 5th, 2019, 5:23 pm

The second two letters of my surname are very frequently swapped, even when I have just spelt it out, and even in Sheffield where my surname is more common than elsewhere (although I have to say, I've never actually met anyone else there, or indeed anywhere, with it. But there was at least a page of it in the 1980s phone books), and has places and other things named with it.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 5th, 2019, 5:30 pm

Herbidacious wrote:The second two letters of my surname are very frequently swapped, even when I have just spelt it out, and even in Sheffield where my surname is more common than elsewhere (although I have to say, I've never actually met anyone else there, or indeed anywhere, with it. But there was at least a page of it in the 1980s phone books), and has places and other things named with it.

I went to school with a girl called Sally who shares your surname Herbi. North Yorkshire rather than Sheffield, but quite a few around here.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 5th, 2019, 5:36 pm

My ex OH once politely asked someone on the phone to spell their name for him after he had written it down as it sounded. It was P-E-N-Y-S.

People always ask how to spell my surname. It is so straightforward that it baffles me every time they ask!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 5th, 2019, 5:44 pm

Busybee wrote:I went to school with a girl called Sally who shares your surname Herbi. North Yorkshire rather than Sheffield, but quite a few around here.

BB

My lot are originally from West Yorkshire - Bradford and South Bradford.

Ha I could have just written it :)

I have a colleague with the juxtaposed letters name, and he says he is often given my name.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 5th, 2019, 6:12 pm

I got told off by a girl on a UK hotel desk for thinking she’d need me to spell French OH’s surname - after all, Bourgeois is a perfectly ordinary word :lol:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby uschi » November 6th, 2019, 1:52 pm

StokeySue wrote:I got told off by a girl on a UK hotel desk for thinking she’d need me to spell French OH’s surname - after all, Bourgeois is a perfectly ordinary word :lol:

you are lucky, in German one possible translation would be "Spießer". The French version is much nicer.
uschi
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 6th, 2019, 4:09 pm

Sloe-Gin wrote:What happened to FoodMary? I lost touch with her when she moved from North Wales.

I don't think we know what happened to her Sloe. From what I understand nothing has been heard for some years. Her FB page hasn't been updated for a long, long time and the flat she moved to has, I understand, been sold... She's possibly in a residential care unit somewhere or she may have joined her beloved Brian (and be cooking up a feast with the other beyond-the-grave Foodies...)
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby uschi » November 6th, 2019, 5:45 pm

So sad. I do wonder about her, too, sometimes.
uschi
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 6th, 2019, 6:03 pm

Yep :( Last time I tried her mobile it just rang out and her landline number was unobtainable. We continued to send Christmas cards for a couple of years, including our contact details in case someone was helping with her post, but have heard nothing ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » November 6th, 2019, 6:14 pm

i was wondering the same thing - i had a try at trawling for obituaries for her name, in her area, but found none.

i put an order in to an indian takeaway a few years back, gave my surname and the indian chap on the other end of the line laughed. when i asked why he laughed his response was 'it looks funny' - it made me wonder if my name means something rude in hindi.
scullion
Registered

Previous

Return to The Coffee Shop