poldark

A place to discuss Food TV and radio programmes.

poldark

Postby scullion » September 26th, 2016, 2:26 am

i'm having a few issues with the series.
a major one is that truro isn't on the coast and doesn't have a harbour wall. it's as badly done as the mobile phone ad from the eighties or early nineties when a woman was phoning someone from an escalator in redruth - where there were none and there are still none that i can think of (- although the sewing studio does have a stair lift).
the next is that the red lion, now the co-op, on boscawen street in the middle of truro, is/was definitely not on a hill. virtually all of the commercial centre of truro is on the flat - as it was in the 18th century.
if you're going to skip around the county filming views of the engine houses and coast at least try to get the differing geology out of shot. the rock formation down at levant mine is very, very different to that on the coast of north cornwall. it would have taken a day's journey (or more), by horse, each way to get to work and back going by the terrain.
lastly (or probably not lastly) why would they be drinking from mugs made of red earthenware (probably valentine's clay, by the looks of it) when that would have had to be imported and when there was good stoneware (a breakdown product of granite) in the area that the story is set?
i'm not even considering the accents and poor scything - there are a number of competent mowers in the area they could have called on (- hint, hint). they may not be of the same calibre eye candy but at least they would have had the sense to keep their shirts and hats on in a time with no sunscreen.

i have been told they're filming over on the cliffs again - maybe that's why there were more (badly behaved) older, coastal path walkers last week.

(and it was only tonight that i realised that they'd removed a very large storyline from the plot by mentioning a comment made by mark daniels before he went to france. those who have read the books will know what i mean and those that haven't - should. they are a good, absorbing read and are amongst the few books i've felt the need to re-read more than once).
scullion
Registered

Re: poldark

Postby suffolk » September 26th, 2016, 7:13 am

There are several things which have raised my eyebrows including some of the things you've mentioned, particularly the Mark Daniels omission - I'm surprised about that - surely the whole storyline rests on that :?
And did anyone else notice a strange plant with primula- like leaves but flowers the colour and shape of yellow violas!? I think the set dresser thought that from a distance it would look like a primrose and didn't reckon on the camera zooming in :rolleyes:
However, I'm enjoying it for all its blips. :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 26th, 2016, 7:28 am

I know what you mean. Various TV serials get me fuming, it is not just geography, it is clothes, in particular hats and head coverings. Women wore hats or possibly scarves when going out until the 1950s, it showed that they were "respectable. They also usually wore their hair up, it was cleaner and tidier. They did not go flouncing across fields with their hair down their back, Demelza,I mean you.
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Busybee » September 26th, 2016, 8:01 am

Regardless of authenticity - I think this series is plain boring. Loved the first series, really looked forward to the next but I find myself nodding off through it twice now. Don't think it's really getting going yet. Can't put my finger on it but it's just not holding my attention.

Think I will get the books from the library and give them a go instead.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby ShotleyGirl » September 26th, 2016, 9:36 am

Both NBM and myself enjoyed the first series, but we can't 'get into' this one. Like Busybee, we're nodding off too. I think we'll just give it a miss from now on :(
Laughter is brightest where food is best - Irish Proverb
ShotleyGirl
Registered

Postby scullion » October 2nd, 2016, 11:55 pm

this weeks anomalies are:- a line of red along a rock face signifying copper in an old working - don't we all know it would have appeared as a green line?
- i've not seen a square chimney on the side of the roof of an engine house (not the tall round stack at the side of the building) now or in any archival photos etc. why it would be there is a complete mystery when you've got a load of heat in the boiler with the smoke going up the stack - you wouldn't need a fireplace in there. this does not include my suspicion that there may well not have been an engine house, of the type filmed, during the time in which the earlier novels were set but i may be wrong - i would have to phone a friend. (and anyway they wouldn't have been in the state of degradation shown in the programmes.)
scullion
Registered

Postby aero280 » October 3rd, 2016, 8:45 am

It's always the same when you know the filming locations. There are lots of film and TV locations that I recognise because we are close to BBC Elstree Studios, Warner Bros at Leavesden, and not too far from a Pinewood and the old Denham Studios. It can cause a few double takes when, for instance, a car drives down a road in Rickmansworth, goes around a corner and finds itself in Gerard's Cross! All the weddings in Eastenders are filmed at our local church near Watford, about five miles from Elstree, and the building that was the old Royal Masonic Boys School round the corner has appeared on many occasions as anything from a school, to a Manor House, to a county hall...
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Luca » October 3rd, 2016, 7:35 pm

aero280 wrote:It's always the same when you know the filming locations. There are lots of film and TV locations that I recognise because we are close to BBC Elstree Studios, Warner Bros at Leavesden, and not too far from a Pinewood and the old Denham Studios. It can cause a few double takes when, for instance, a car drives down a road in Rickmansworth, goes around a corner and finds itself in Gerard's Cross! ..

Downton Abbey. The majority of the outside of Highclere shots (other people's houses etc) were filmed in Bampton (Upon Castle), where my grandparents lived. I never really watched the programme until informed by others. Got hooked and second guessed my memory a lot. One house in particular was very known to me and it was fun to 'revisit'. :D
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby cyprusmoira » October 4th, 2016, 1:35 pm

By all accounts most pretty villages in Buckinghamshire have been on Midsomer Murders
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby smitch » October 4th, 2016, 2:01 pm

Living and working in Manchester, we often see stuff being filmed. It has doubled for various American cities, including New York, in some big-budget films. I have spotted city centre streets being used as 'London' in a few programmes. One of our on-campus buildings was a hospital in something, no idea what, I just saw loads of people in dressing gowns/hospital robes and white coats/nurses uniforms, with an ambulance parked outside. Also, characters going to their 'local' pub, which is actually in a totally different part of town, or people driving a particular route that isn't anywhere near where they need to be :lol: In Peter Kays' Car Share, their 'commute' to work was a series of totally unrelated roads all over the city.
smitch
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 4th, 2016, 2:50 pm

Inspector Morse's "Oxford" home was famously in a back street in Ealing West London, a work friend lived opposite and enjoyed watching the action, but of course it is the right style of house, and very handy for the studios!

We get loads of film crews in the overgrown Victorian cemetery across the road - black magic, vampires, murder mysteries - and Springwatch!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby aero280 » October 8th, 2016, 6:31 pm

It was the same with "The Good Life". The house in Surbiton was actually in Rickmansworth. Just down the road from my old office.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Pepper Pig » October 9th, 2016, 5:11 am

Actually it was in Northwood aero, Kewferry Road. It belonged to my dad's boss. ;)
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby scullion » October 19th, 2016, 2:29 pm

i caught up on a couple of episodes last night.
amazing healing properties - ross goes into the cache with bleeding knuckles and comes out the next day without even a bruise, let alone a scab.

i would like to know how you see a rear view scene, when cantering up a slope from a beach, with a cut to a forward view of cantering towards brown willy and rough tor (pronounced row as in argument) up on bodmin moor. i think he was supposed to be heading to truro rather than away from there. someone should give him a compass.
there were some nice views of holywell beach though.
it would be nice to see the poor horse having a walk or trot rather than having to canter everywhere - but then it's never sweating so it must be a magic horse!
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 20th, 2016, 5:57 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love it when it's an area (or subject) you know about. It can be so funny.

There's a really dreadful (but unintentionally hilarious) moutaineering-themed movie called 'K2' which always has OH and I hammering the floor with tears rolling down our cheeks. :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 20th, 2016, 6:32 pm

There was a season of sci-fi B movies on a while back
All contained basic science errors a bright kid in the science sixth form could have corrected

My favourite was when our hero pointed at a small vial of what appeared to be common salt and said brightly "That's an isotope isn't it?" and they all shuddered
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » October 26th, 2016, 12:29 pm

brown willy and rough tor (pronounced row as in argument) up on bodmin moor. i think he was supposed to be heading to truro rather than away from there.

My pal with connections to Cornwall made much the same observation as you.

I have walked up both of those, beautiful place.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 26th, 2016, 12:35 pm

Fortunately nowadays there are signposts and Satnav - he could have saved a lot of time and poor Seamus a lot of galloping about had they been invented earlier :rolleyes:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » August 27th, 2019, 11:18 am

well, they certainly filled the last episode with as many tying up of strings possible in a series that had absolutely nothing to do with the books.
i have to say that i have been very disappointed with the last series. it just didn't hang together, like they'd tried to pack in as much sensationalism as they could.
the metal health bandwagoning was totally unnecessary. if they had pointed out that george was a bit of a psychopath it would have been more believable. there are plenty of other mental illnesses to pick from.
referring back to enys's 'affair' when it wasn't even mentioned in a previous series was sloppy, just plain lazy, especially when it had happened before he knew caroline so why would she feel as 'angry' as she did?
the ultimate cliché, when both ross' looked into each others eyes with a knowing glint was a step too far.
i will now have to read the books again to expunge the memory of the poor tv rendition.
i hope they will think twice before they do that to a much loved series/books again.
scullion
Registered

Return to TV and Radio