Pancakes

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Pancakes

Postby karadekoolaid » March 25th, 2017, 10:56 pm

Following up on earthmaiden`s Waffle thread, I just received this from the New York Times:
https://cooking.nytimes.com/68861692-nyt-cooking/5193212-21-of-our-best-pancake-recipes?em_pos=large&emc=edit_ck_20170325&nl=cooking&nlid=69606858
I am particularly intrigued by Bobby Flay`s Double Chocolate Pancakes.....WOW! I`d be rushing around like a squirrel on speed after that lot!!!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Re: Pancakes

Postby earthmaiden » March 25th, 2017, 11:57 pm

I wouldn't, I'd feel as though I was weighed down like a ton of bricks after all those heavy pancakes!

Kavey was singing praises about chocolate waffles on the waffle thread, perhaps either the waffles or pancakes should be tried in the interest of science :).

Interesting recipes there. Isn't it strange how American pancakes and waffles have not really become household dishes in the UK, they must have originated in Ireland or mainland Europe.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » March 26th, 2017, 12:06 am

they look like scotch (scots?) pancakes to me.
scullion
Registered

Postby TezzaBear » March 26th, 2017, 1:30 am

I could probably eat two bites of those plus all the fruit and syrup on that one and all of the others!
(link saved to faves, how lovely).
Miss my cats...
TezzaBear
Registered

Postby Kavey » March 26th, 2017, 7:54 am

Yeah one of the waffle recipes I shared was a brownie-style double-chocolate waffle. Very indulgent, can just about eat one when I'm HUNGRY! :lol:
Kavey
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 26th, 2017, 11:17 am

earthmaiden wrote:Isn't it strange how American pancakes and waffles have not really become household dishes in the UK, they must have originated in Ireland or mainland Europe.

There's not a lot of difference IMO between an a American pancake and a Scotch pancake / drop scone / girdle scone
What we don't have is maple syrup :chops: or (fortunately for me) the habit of putting a stack of sweet pancakes or waffles on the same plate as savoury breakfast items such as bacon and egg :sprout:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 26th, 2017, 8:22 pm

Yes - an American pancake is thicker. Probably a tad larger than a Scotch pancake, though.
However, the quantities are unbelievable. I think I might just about manage 2 - but 5 or 6 in a stack, at one sitting....??
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 27th, 2017, 1:17 pm

Never having been to the USA could someone please tell if faced with a stack of 5 or 6 pancakes do you a) eat them individually or b) slice them like a cake ?

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 27th, 2017, 3:38 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:Never having been to the USA could someone please tell if faced with a stack of 5 or 6 pancakes do you a) eat them individually or b) slice them like a cake ?

Moira

Yes :D

Some people do one, some the other, in my experience you have to disassemble the stack to apply syrup and whipped butter (exactly what it sounds like) to each layer or it will all be on top
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Kitchen