Risotto

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Risotto

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 19th, 2017, 9:01 am

Made (and tasted) my first ever Risotto yesterday (chicken and mushroom) .. this was done using my Instant Pot and only took 10 minutes cooking - I got the inspiration from the IP FB Group :tu:

It tasted as I expected, but being a Risotto virgin, I have no idea what consistency it should have been. I think I am a convert and this morning the leftovers have provided 2 more (smallish) servings.

What other flavours/ingredients could I try ? I think I have read that you can add cheese ?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Re: Risotto

Postby StokeySue » August 19th, 2017, 9:32 am

I don't see how you can cook risotto in ten minutes, unless you use the pressure function? In which case I doubt the final texture would be quite as it's supposed to be, which is distinct grains of rice in quite a wet base; this depends on the type of rice used, which should be an Italian risotto rice of course, it really does make a difference

Having said which there's a load of rubbish talked about classic risotto, mainly food snobbery, trying to persuade us that it's difficult (it's dead easy IMHO) and a lot of faff (apparently stirring something while it cooks for 20 minutes is more effort than anyone coukd possibly bear).

Felicity has done it of course, and, sensibly IMO, chose to do a plain one finished with cheese to which you can add all sorts of things, I'd not really argue with her, not least because she takes Giorgio Locatelli as her guru :luv:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/may/06/how-to-make-perfect-risotto

My favourites are Milanese (saffron) served as a side to osso bucco or other veal dishes or generally any kind of seafood risotto :chops:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 19th, 2017, 9:42 am

It was cooked under pressure Sue, the IP has a rice function .. at first it was quite runny and probably the grain were separate. Not so this morning though, everything has thickened up, but the taste is still there.

Yes, I knew about the snobbery attached to this dish -- it's been mentioned on this forum I recall ;)

I like the sound of Milanese .. and with seafood too :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 19th, 2017, 9:50 am

And don't forget the arancini with the leftovers!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ce-recipes
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 19th, 2017, 9:54 am

Not sure the rice function would be ideal as it is designed to make fluffy rice I suspect. Yes it does thicken up on standing

Which makes leftover risotto ideal for one of the trendiest foids in the hipster kingdom of Hoxton and Stokey - arancini :D Literally oranges, they are croquetres made of risotto moulded round a nugget of something nice, crumbed and deep fried
Felicity again

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2014/jul/09/how-to-make-perfect-arancini-italian-fried-rice-balls

I've actually never made them, but I have bought them from Arancini Brothers
http://www.arancinibrothers.com
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » August 19th, 2017, 9:55 am

i wish i found risotto interesting. i have made it (usually mushroom) but i find it needs a vast amount of flavouring and seasoning so that it doesn't just make me think of a bland baby food. however it was vastly superior the next day made into arancini - which i have done a couple of times bypassing the 'risotto' stage.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

A rush ti recommend arancini! :lol:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » August 19th, 2017, 9:57 am

they're trendy are they?
i thank montalbano for bringing them to my notice!

ps. for those who like montalbano there's a new series starting tonight on bbc4
scullion
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 19th, 2017, 10:00 am

Making risotto is one of the most pleasurable things in the kitchen, stirrring and adding stock until it is just right. Thanks for reminding me to make one soon Pat.

The texture should be creamy, mostly from the starch in the rice and lots of butter. I have known people add cream but it really isn't necessary. Good stock. added hot is also important. I think my favourites are the seasonal ones. Asparagus in late spring, wild mushrooms truffles in season. I tend not to make a risitto to use up the left-overs from the fridge they spoil an other wise lovely dish.

I stir in a little extra butter and a bit of fresh parmesan just before serving
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 19th, 2017, 10:04 am

scullion wrote:they're trendy are they?
i thank montalbano for bringing them to my notice!

No gastro pub, food market, or festival can stand without arancini these days, I might try going to the Arancini Brothers shop, I've only been to the trailer
I had them as a student inter-railing round Italy, never thought they'd come here, let alone be hip!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 19th, 2017, 10:15 am

I think I need to taste a risotto made by a master Rats ;) :)

This recipe didn't have butter, so probably not authentic: chopped onion and garlic were sautéed then the mushrooms added and finally the chicken. A half glass of white wine went in next, then the rice (Arborio); all stirred so the rice was nicely coated. Last the stock (4 x the measure of rice) was added (all in one go), then the machine set to come to pressure for 10 minutes. (I bet you are cringing now :lol: :oops: ) However it did come out really creamy and I was surprised by that :chops:

This recipe was very SW friendly as it had very little fat in it at all, so for that I was relieved. :bounce:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 19th, 2017, 10:18 am

scullion wrote:ps. for those who like montalbano there's a new series starting tonight on bbc4

Ooh, is it ? I might try watching that again. I usually enjoy the dark scandi thrillers on BBC4 on Saturday nights... but didn't realise that last week's episode of I Know Who you Are was the last one :scared: I haven't yet been able to bond with Montalbano :( :lol:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » August 19th, 2017, 10:23 am

i usually record them and save them for wet and miserable days when i need the lighter end of detective stories and to see a bit of sunshine!
scullion
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 19th, 2017, 10:31 am

I've made risotto properly and also in the IP. I can tell the difference but TBH the IP is so quick and easy that's how I normally do it.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 19th, 2017, 10:52 am

Pepper Pig wrote:I've made risotto properly and also in the IP. I can tell the difference but TBH the IP is so quick and easy that's how I normally do it.

Glad to hear that PPig. :tu: Unless I try a 'proper' one (and I doubt I ever will), I will rest assured that the IP version is as good as it is going to get ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 19th, 2017, 11:19 am

Very reassuring PP!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 19th, 2017, 12:06 pm

This is one of my faves Patsy but I miss out the roasted bit. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/776 ... ge-risotto Just cook it longer in the pan. And we are getting to the BNS time of year. :D
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 19th, 2017, 12:30 pm

I love butternut squash risotto Zosh.!

Pat I usually add a glug of either dry white wine or have been known to use the end of a bottle of bubbles after the ric hasgone opaque.
If your version of risotto worked then absolutely fine. It just that I have the time and the inclination to stir and meditate :lol:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 19th, 2017, 12:32 pm

But do you get those lovely melting sweet caramelised bit of squash if you don't roast it? That's what makes BNS risotto so wonderful. :chops:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Rocky » August 19th, 2017, 2:01 pm

I love making (and eating) risotto. I find it very therapeutic. I get the best texture when I really look the rice to 'squeak' when initially stirred in - and if I keep the stock on a gentle rolling boil.

I love wild mushroom risotto and a surprisingly nice discovery was cauliflower, kale and oregano. Love BNS so will definitely try that.
Rocky
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 19th, 2017, 4:02 pm

I love stirring risotto, I find it very soothing, spoon in one hand :cocktail: in the other :D . I like most types but smoked haddock and peas is a favourite of mine or seafood. I add cheese in the haddock one but not to a seafood one (just lots of parsley)
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 19th, 2017, 5:54 pm

liketocook wrote:I love stirring risotto, I find it very soothing, spoon in one hand in the other

Yes me too
It occurs to me, having established that the texture is fine :tu: that the drawback to the IP method is that you can't add ingredients such as seafood part way through
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 19th, 2017, 7:06 pm

I had never made risotto until a few years ago and followed Giorgio Locatelli to the letter, taking in all the advice he gives. The results were very much as Rats describes and well worth standing at the stove for a while and adding the ingredients gradually at the time they should be added.

I'll bet that the dish made in the IP is delicious but wonder if it has the chance to develop in quite the same way as the traditional. The creaminess, considering there is no cream, is amazing.

I haven't had enough leftovers for arancini ... must make that the next hurdle!

I have just had a look at my Locatelli book. I think most of his basic flavourings have been mentioned here but it is worth saying that he marries the various star ingredients with different cheeses and different wines and spices which would make quite a difference to the end flavour.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 19th, 2017, 8:07 pm

One day I will have to obtain the idiots guide and see how it differs then ;) :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Catherine » August 19th, 2017, 9:32 pm

So many options when it comes to risotto
Butternut squash and sage
Mushroom
Asparagus
Pea
Parmesan
Tomato
Prawn and scallop
Beetroot
Chocolate

Personally I hate the stuff
Catherine
Registered

Postby Rainbow » August 19th, 2017, 11:27 pm

Catherine wrote:Personally I hate the stuff

I'd agree with that, although hate is maybe a bit strong! I prefer drier rice if it's savoury, as in fried rice or pilaff.
Wet rice only in sweet rice pudding, which I very rarely eat.
Rainbow
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » August 20th, 2017, 3:01 am

If you have Italian neighbours, Patsy, they will probably have paroxysms on learning that you made a risotto in the pressure cooker :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:
Risotto needs to be made with arborio rice ( preferably), few ingredients and lots of application :D :D
a classic " Risotto alla Milanesa, according to Pellegrino Artusi (who wrote " Science in the Kitchen and the Art of Eating Well",t soak 1891) , involves:
500 gms rice; 80 gms butter, saffron , half an onion, stock.
Basically, he says fry the onion in butter, add the rice; let it soak up some of the butter, then add the stock, little by little. As the rice absorbs the stock, add more, until the rice is cooked -un pochino al dente.
You might want to add a little white wine, beef marrow, or marsala. Same thing. Classic with Osso Buco.
The beauty of a good risotto is, as Rats so rightly states, its creaminess and the texture of the rice. Not as dry as a pilau or byriani. Not as "wet" as a Spanish asopado.
A good risotto may have one, or two ingredients - no more. My son makes one with sundried tomatoes and bacon - glorious.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 20th, 2017, 9:42 am

At least I used Arborio rice ;) :lol:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 20th, 2017, 2:17 pm

It is not difficult Pat. It just need love and time - go for it Don't forget the :cocktail: in one hand!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » August 20th, 2017, 2:18 pm

Cauliflower makes a lovely risotto
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 20th, 2017, 5:46 pm

I have visions of Patsy doing an Ainsley Harriott !!!!!!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » August 20th, 2017, 8:33 pm

We often have risotto and I don't mind doing the stirring.
I think you need to keep the flavours simple. Some of our favourites are
Prawn and peas
Smoked bacon and broad beans
Asparagus
Fennel and lemon
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » August 22nd, 2017, 7:22 pm

Saved by the bell!! :lol: :lol:
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Mamta » August 23rd, 2017, 5:29 am

The other day, I found a packet of sticky rice in my cupboard. I wasn't sure about what to do with it, so I washed it, put it in a pan with some boiling water, added a handful of frozen mixed vegetables, 2 tsp. green thai curry paste and a small block of coconut cream. It just simmered on a back burner, while I did other things around the kitchen, mainly de-cluttering my cupboards. I added some more hot water from time to time and stirred it a few times. The result was quite a tasty Rissotosque dish, tasty and aromatic. I am not sure iff it will qualify as rissotto, but was nice.
Mamta
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 23rd, 2017, 9:11 am

WWordsworth wrote:We often have risotto and I don't mind doing the stirring.
I think you need to keep the flavours simple. Some of our favourites are
Prawn and peas
Smoked bacon and broad beans
Asparagus
Fennel and lemon

Do you mean bulb fennel WW ? I have that and a lemon that needs using up .. so would you use the grated rind and chop and sauté the fennel ? You can see I am getting quite excited about this ;) :bounce:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » August 23rd, 2017, 9:27 am

Just last night I made this, Patsy.....it was very nice even though I am not a huge risotto fan. I only had 1 fennel bulb, and couldn't be bothered to do the Parmesan crisps, so I just grated Parmesan over it and served with some deep fried kale 'crisps'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/fenne ... otto_28159

Next time I'm in risotto mood I'm going to try bacon and broad bean.....and may even try it in the pressure cooker just to compare results!
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 23rd, 2017, 5:34 pm

Thanks Pat in Scotland (from Pat darn souff ;) )
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 31st, 2017, 9:34 am

Just to give you an update:

I had lunch yesterday with 2 of the school friends ... I saw that the (pub) restaurant had risotto on the menu : Sea Bream and Scallop ...... Hmmmm what a disappointment .. The bream and (2) scallops sat on top of the risotto which was stiff and quite dry, with about 4 prawns in it and quite tasteless ! :o ... The topping was nice, but I can now say that my version, cooked in my Instant Pot was delicious by comparison .... I didn't want to complain as the service was excellent and also it was my friend's choice of eating place, being local to her ... (we were at the Old Fisherman in Shabbington) :(
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 2nd, 2017, 10:06 am

patpoyntz wrote:Just last night I made this, Patsy.....it was very nice even though I am not a huge risotto fan. I only had 1 fennel bulb, and couldn't be bothered to do the Parmesan crisps, so I just grated Parmesan over it and served with some deep fried kale 'crisps'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/fenne ... otto_28159

Next time I'm in risotto mood I'm going to try bacon and broad bean.....and may even try it in the pressure cooker just to compare results!

I feel another risotto coming on .. I have fennel and some lamb stock made overnight.. I will probably do the IP version (I had a bad night last night with very little sleep, so exhausted today) However, perhaps I could do a Barley version ? (to go with the neck of lamb I bought on my way home from the meal yesterday) ... Of course I realise that it wouldn't be an authentic risotto by any means ;) :aww: :lol:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 2nd, 2017, 10:57 am

It's orzotto made with barley I think? Orzo being Italian for barley. Could be good with lamb
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 2nd, 2017, 11:18 am

This thread has reminded me how much I adore making and eating risotto and haven't done either in a few years. I must correct this!
I have made chocolate risotto before. It was so rich you didn't need much.
The first risotto I ever made was for my partner at the time as a birthday treat. Chicken and mushroom, recipe in a book I have somewhere. It went down a storm.
My absolute favourite is mushroom with Kallo mushroom stock mixed with dried porcini soaking liquor, chopped porcini, white mushrooms sliced quite chunkily, white wine, chopped parsley.
Another is cauliflower with raisins and saffron. Sound weird maybe but try it and see!
I always have risotto with a hacked up vine tomato, red onion and leaf salad and a balsamic dressing.
I love the ritual of getting the risotto pot ready, the kettle on and a small saucepan ready for the stock, ladle, wooden spoon, dressing in the bottom of a salad bowl, leaves etc piled on top. A good programme on the radio, an hour set aside to enjoy the whole process, belly rumbling! :hungry:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 2nd, 2017, 11:57 am

I am so glad that I am inspiring some of you ;) :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 2nd, 2017, 1:10 pm

I made wild mushroom risotto for the family the other day and GD asked if I would show her how. She really enjoyed all the stirring and adding and observed with the wisdom of a 16year-old about to study philosophy, that the whole process was deeply theraputic and gives you time to think :D :D
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 2nd, 2017, 1:55 pm

:tu: :tu: :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Rocky » September 2nd, 2017, 6:56 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:I am so glad that I am inspiring some of you ;) :tu:

I think many of us! I made a prawn, pea and lemon one last night :chops:
Rocky
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 2nd, 2017, 6:59 pm

Rocky wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:I am so glad that I am inspiring some of you ;) :tu:

I think many of us! I made a prawn, pea and lemon one last night :chops:

:tu: Bet it was lovely Rocky :chops: :drool:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 8th, 2017, 6:38 am

Felicity has made risotto nero this week.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... sotto-nero
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » September 9th, 2017, 12:57 pm

Orzo is greek for rice shaped pasta as well..... there are various different sizes to this shape too.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 9th, 2017, 2:25 pm

I got very confused talking to someone on a board before
Think I've got it straight now
Orzo is Italian for barley, and hence the word often used for the rice or barley shaped pasta found a lot in Greek cooking
But most Italians seem to call the pasta risonoi
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » September 9th, 2017, 3:29 pm

Patsy, apologies for missing your question re the fennel and lemon risotto.
I sautéed thin slices of fennel bulb and added them about half way through, then stirred lemon zest and chopped fennel fronds in at the end.
WWordsworth
Registered

Next

Return to The Kitchen