Soda bread ...

This is the place where the bakers hang out. Cakes and breads abound.

Soda bread ...

Postby KC2 » January 7th, 2018, 9:00 pm

Evening all
I've been meaning to make some soda bread for ages and in today's Observer Nigel Slater's theme was (soda) bread and butter! This is his recipe: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... er-recipes

He starts by putting a heavy casserole + lid into a hot oven to warm up - I have a 22 cm Le Creuset - I imagine this would be the right sort of thing. What do you think? Presumably it wouldn't come to any harm by putting it into a hot oven empty, would it?

I like the look of his butters to have on the bread as well!
KC2
Registered

Re: Soda bread ...

Postby aero280 » January 7th, 2018, 9:48 pm

I have made the normal yeast raised bread using the "no knead method". This involves using less yeast and allowing the bread to prove in a colder environment overnight. It's cooked in the morning in a cast iron casserole that is made very hot. The lid keeps the whole thing sealed and has the same effect as spraying with water, or leaving a tray of boiling water in the oven. Check out hickybank's posts for details.

So you will be fine getting an empty casserole very hot. It survives having cold bread dough thrown into it as well!! :)
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby KC2 » January 7th, 2018, 11:39 pm

Thanks aero :tu: :tu:
KC2
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 8th, 2018, 8:15 pm

A bit more advice please .... should I get strong bread flour or normal wholemeal plain flour? The own brands (Tesco, Waitrose, Sainsbugs) are all strong bread flour; or Allinsons does a plain wholemeal flour.

Thank you!
KC2
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 8th, 2018, 9:26 pm

My copy of the BBC good food magazine arrived at the weekend, and has a recipe for soda bread which Emma Freud says ‘takes literally five minutes from having the idea to putting it in the oven.” I would like to think she is too well-educated to use the word ‘literally’ to mean the opposite. I was considering making it. All this talk of heating casserole dishes and what type of flour, is making me wonder if there is more to it though!
Anyway she says 500g wholemeal flour which I would image means just that, rather than strong? Her recipe has the same overall amount of flour as Nigel's, same bicarb, more salt, honey and lemon juice instead of sugar, and rosemary.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 8th, 2018, 9:27 pm

Felicity on flour in soda bread in the Guardian

Soda bread can be made with white or brown flour, although, as David points out in her English Bread and Yeast Cookery, there is little point using strong bread flour here: the Irish often talk of a "cake" of brown bread, which gives you a fair idea of the texture to aim for. Moist and crumbly, rather than light and airy, is the name of the game. I'll be concentrating on the wholemeal variety – white soda bread is nice enough, but you can't beat the dark, dense, almost absurdly wholesome kind.

Patrick Ryan uses 100% wholemeal flour, "the coarser the better", in the book Bread Revolution, as does David, and Rose Prince in her Pocket Bakery book, with the caveat that it should be "properly grainy". Chef Richard Corrigan uses half wholemeal and half white flour in The Clatter of Forks and Spoons, and Darina Allen uses one part white to just over five parts wholemeal in Forgotten Skills of Cooking.

It can't be denied that a proportion of plain flour gives a lighter result, but that's not what I'm after here. If you'd like a loaf to eat every day, then by all means swap in half the amount of white flour, but I love the nubbly texture and nutty flavour of the wholemeal loaves; they feel ridiculously good for me. Try to get the coarsest ground flour you can; health food shops are often fruitful hunting grounds, or visit the likes of Shipton Mill online.

Prince and Corrigan use rolled oats in their bread, which I'm also a fan of: the more grains the merrier.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 8th, 2018, 10:15 pm

Brilliant, thanks for searching that out, really helpful. I've got sunflower, pumpkin and chia seeds in the cupboard so those are the seeds I'm going to use.

I'll report back when I've made it ...
KC2
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 9th, 2018, 2:55 pm

Sounds delish :D
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 9th, 2018, 3:23 pm

I've just found the post I made a while back about a Swedish soda bread. The recipe was from the host in the B&B.

There was some discussion about the quantity of bicarb, but she wrote down difference terms (in Swedish) for the spoon sizes...

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14945&p=424275
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Pepper Pig » January 9th, 2018, 3:40 pm

I always fancied making Paul Hollywood’s having had a chum rave about it. Still haven’t got a round tuit. ;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/soda_bread_24837
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 9th, 2018, 7:06 pm

Both those recipes look good - I got the wholemeal flour today but had to get Carrs as all the others were either strong, extra strong or self-raising ...
The buttermilk comes in a 300 ml carton - Nigel Slater's recipe says 350 ml and I see Paul Hollywood's uses 500 ml for only 50 gm more flour and several tbsp seeds ... I had planned just to add a little milk and hope that would work! Now I've got my doubts!
KC2
Registered

Postby Suelle » January 9th, 2018, 7:31 pm

KC2 wrote:Both those recipes look good - I got the wholemeal flour today but had to get Carrs as all the others were either strong, extra strong or self-raising ...
The buttermilk comes in a 300 ml carton - Nigel Slater's recipe says 350 ml and I see Paul Hollywood's uses 500 ml for only 50 gm more flour and several tbsp seeds ... I had planned just to add a little milk and hope that would work! Now I've got my doubts!

Delia uses a little water alongside the buttermilk - her recipe uses a 285ml carton, so she's being sensible about not starting a second carton for a few mls. :)

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/typ ... soda-bread

I've never made soda bread, but always imagined it to be more like a large scone in texture, than like yeasted bread. Am I correct, or is it very similar to yeasted bread?
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby KC2 » January 9th, 2018, 8:29 pm

Suelle wrote:Delia uses a little water alongside the buttermilk - her recipe uses a 285ml carton, so she's being sensible about not starting a second carton for a few mls. :)

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/typ ... soda-bread

Great, thanks Suelle :tu:
KC2
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 10th, 2018, 12:09 pm

Well, it's in the oven ... but the dough was incredibly dry and even though I had added the additional 50 ml of liquid to take the total up to 350 ml I had to add more in order to get it to stick together at all. I fear I have probably overworked it now so have no idea how it's going to turn out .... probably tough and leathery! But then I've never managed to make successful scones even though everyone always says how easy they are so it's more than likely my fault.

We shall see ... I have found in the past that Nigel Slater's recipes can sometimes be a bit vague - they can be more like guidelines rather than a precise set of instructions to be followed to the letter. That's why OH gets on very well with them as he is not a great one for measuring and weighing.
KC2
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 10th, 2018, 12:21 pm

I find that wholemeal flour varies considerable in the amount of liquid it absorbs ... each brand needs getting used to :, and if you buy it from a local mill it can change from batch to batch as the loads of wheat delivered to them can vary. :)
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 10th, 2018, 12:49 pm

It tastes really good!

If I could work out how, I'd post a pic ...
KC2
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 10th, 2018, 12:56 pm

My son just showed me how ... so here it is!

KC2
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 10th, 2018, 1:18 pm

Can't see it :( ... you need to click on Post Reply (bottom left) and upload a photo from there :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 10th, 2018, 1:51 pm

Oh dear, I'll have to try again so I'll need to get the link again from my google drive ... Easier said than done!!
KC2
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 10th, 2018, 2:18 pm

Ah, the file is too big. I'll get there eventually ...
KC2
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 10th, 2018, 2:26 pm

bread small.jpg

Try this one ...
KC2
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 10th, 2018, 3:13 pm

:hi5: That looks tasty!

This thread has got me inspired about soda bread again ... I bought some buttermilk this morning ...... :chef:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 10th, 2018, 5:44 pm

It has already almost gone! Requests for another one tomorrow! And I'll bear in mind your comments about the flour/water absorption, suffs, thanks.
Look forward to hearing about yours!

By the way I found a recipe that doesn't require buttermilk: https://witness.theguardian.com/assignm ... 057/981380
I happen to have an unopened carton of half fat creme fraiche that I bought for Christmas and we didn't use and I was thinking about giving this recipe a go.

Suelle wrote:
I've never made soda bread, but always imagined it to be more like a large scone in texture, than like yeasted bread. Am I correct, or is it very similar to yeasted bread?

It didn't exactly turn out like yeasted bread, Suelle, and I can't remember when/if I've had wholemeal scones, although I would say it has more in common with the health food shop type loaves than the usual supermarket-baked-on-the-premises wholemeal. It was quite dense - even with only 50% wholemeal. The added seeds are really tasty.
KC2
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 10th, 2018, 6:13 pm

I often use a mix of plain yoghurt or creme fraiche with milk if I don't have any buttermilk in the fridge ... it works just as well :)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 10th, 2018, 6:19 pm

suffolk wrote:I often use a mix of plain yoghurt or creme fraiche with milk if I don't have any buttermilk in the fridge ... it works just as well :)

Ah, good to know, cheers :tu:
KC2
Registered

Postby dennispc » January 13th, 2018, 12:36 pm

Rachael Allan bakes soda bread every day at her cookery school.

450g plain flour, 1 tsp caster sugar, 1 tsp bicarb, 1 tsp salt, 350 - 425 ml buttermilk or sour milk.

Bring together in bowl, don’t knead, form into a round shape on floured surface. Cut crosses to let the fairies out, baking tray into hot oven, 200C for about 30mins.

To make sour milk, she suggests gently heating the milk, remove from heat, add juice of half a lemon and leave at room temperature overnight.

For interest, Andrew Whitley suggests the high incidence of coeliac disease in Ireland maybe because of their love of soda bread.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 13th, 2018, 6:39 pm

I used to make soda bread quite a lot - but not with buttermilk and it came out quite well with a crumb between scone and normal bread. I too have used yogurt with milk which I like very much.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 20th, 2018, 12:51 pm

Sodabread - wholemeal with pumpkin seeds.jpg

Wholemeal soda bread with a few pumpkin seeds ... I used the River Cottage Handbook recipe for sodabread, using Duchy Organic plain wholemeal and a tablespoon of black treacle as suggested.

It's turned out very tasty ... slightly chewy in a pleasant way ... just what I was hoping for ... perfect with a bowl of squash soup for lunch.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 20th, 2018, 7:06 pm

suffolk wrote:

Wholemeal soda bread with a few pumpkin seeds ... I used the River Cottage Handbook recipe for sodabread, using Duchy Organic plain wholemeal and a tablespoon of black treacle as suggested.

It's turned out very tasty ... slightly chewy in a pleasant way ... just what I was hoping for ... perfect with a bowl of squash soup for lunch.

Fab!! Looks wonderful!! :hungry:
KC2
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 20th, 2018, 7:12 pm

It's pretty good even if I say so myself ... I put a pic on Gardeners World and an Irish chap living in Russia says he's catching the next plane over :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 21st, 2018, 7:10 am

This thread has also inspired me ! I did like this comment.....

Cut crosses to let the fairies out,
:lol: :lol:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 21st, 2018, 6:22 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I too have used yogurt with milk which I like very much.

Me too. Usually with a squeeze of lemon added.

Zosherooney wrote:Cut crosses to let the fairies out,

Wonderful!! :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby dennispc » January 24th, 2018, 3:02 pm

Cut crosses to let the fairies out

Or

To let the devil out

Take your pick. :D
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 2nd, 2018, 12:45 pm

I have been confined to barracks this morning as my boiler wouldn't fire up (I know all the DIY remedies, but not when the white pipe comes out from the first floor bedroom wall, with no easy access) ... Anyway, that is now all sorted (I'm now £100 lighter in my pocket as the plastic pipe was so brittle it had to be replaced, plus his call out charge ! :( ) and since reading this thread yesterday, I decided to have a go - that's the problem with being home all day, I tend to bake more (yesterday it was welsh cakes :o ) I have made a half size loaf as there is just me and instead of buttermilk, I used kefir as I had just right amount :tu: Now waiting with baited breath :lol: :bounce:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby KC2 » March 2nd, 2018, 2:40 pm

Looking forward to your report on it ... :D

I made a full size one yesterday as I had a carton of buttermilk I bought weeks ago half price because it was at its expiry date ... and 3/4 of it is already gone! Son who is here at the moment has eaten most of it :lol:

btw £100 including the call-out charge seems not too bad!!
KC2
Registered

Postby KC2 » March 2nd, 2018, 2:50 pm

suffolk wrote:

Re-reading this thread I noticed you used a River Cottage recipe for your soda bread, Suffs, and when I looked around for it on the web I came across this recipe for rosemary and sultana soda bread, which looks delicious https://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/so ... d-sultanas.
I will definitely give it a go soon, but will probably substitute some of the 500g of plain white flour for wholemeal - maybe 200 wholemeal/300 pl white.
And I hardly ever use/ have in the house full fat milk or yogurt so would be inclined to substitute lower fat versions.

We had our soda bread for lunch today with spicy sweet potato soup, which was an excellent combo!
KC2
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 2nd, 2018, 3:46 pm

KC2 wrote:Looking forward to your report on it ... :D

I was pleasantly surprised... but needs more salt for my taste, so I put marmite on the first slice and some rosehip jelly on the second. :chops: :tu:

Edited to add that the plumber is a local lad who lives in my road and has been very helpful in the past, I call him the 4th emergency service in the village ! He had plenty of calls waiting for when he had sorted my problem out :tu:

Second edit: I used 50/50 wholemeal bread flour and bog standard plain white ... it is a bit scone like, but slices quite nicely. :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby KC2 » March 2nd, 2018, 5:52 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
KC2 wrote:Looking forward to your report on it ... :D

I was pleasantly surprised... but needs more salt for my taste, so I put marmite on the first slice and some rosehip jelly on the second. :chops: :tu:

Edited to add that the plumber is a local lad who lives in my road and has been very helpful in the past, I call him the 4th emergency service in the village ! He had plenty of calls waiting for when he had sorted my problem out :tu:

Second edit: I used 50/50 wholemeal bread flour and bog standard plain white ... it is a bit scone like, but slices quite nicely. :tu:

Sounds good!

One of my favourite snacks when I was little (and also not so little!) was toast with marmite and blackcurrant jam (along the lines of the peanut butter and jelly so loved by many across the pond ...)

Your helpful lad up the road sounds like a real godsend :tu:
KC2
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 8th, 2018, 10:22 am

I get the peanut butter and jelly (jam) thing ... I used to have that most week-day mornings as our caff at Hilton HO provided free toast and toppings .. but really cant get my head round marmite and jam ! :sprout:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 8th, 2018, 10:27 am

A lad at art school used to bring cheese and jam sandwiches in his packed lunch :? He said it was perfectly normal in his village
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 8th, 2018, 10:28 am

Yup, I enjoy cheese and jam in a sarnie too ;) :chops:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby KC2 » March 8th, 2018, 12:43 pm

... and Membrillo with Manchego or Iberico is absolutely delicious :hungry:

Unfortunately I finished off the end of my last batch of Membrillo with some aged Iberico quite recently and the Membrillo I've bought at Waitrose isn't as good as mine :(
KC2
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 17th, 2018, 11:31 am

What role does buttermilk play in this? I fancied making some, but getting buttermilk will be a bit involved without a car.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Suelle » March 17th, 2018, 11:39 am

Herbidacious wrote:What role does buttermilk play in this? I fancied making some, but getting buttermilk will be a bit involved without a car.

The buttermilk is the acid component which reacts with the bicarbonate of soda to produce carbon dioxide which cause the bread to rise. You can mix lemon juice or vinegar with milk to produce an adequate substitute, or use part milk and part natural yogurt. See http://www.foodsubs.com/Cultmilk.html
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Herbidacious » March 17th, 2018, 11:40 am

Thanks!
Herbidacious
Registered

Return to The Bakers Oven