what have you baked today?

This is the place where the bakers hang out. Cakes and breads abound.

Re: what have you baked today?

Postby Seatallan » October 19th, 2017, 12:02 pm

Have made 13 scotch pancakes. I'm about to post 12 of them to my poorly friend in Scotland (keep your fingers crossed that they survive the journey :) ) and the remaining one is for Mr S when he gets home from a day out later.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 22nd, 2017, 2:23 pm

Hope they arrived ok Seatallen :tu:

I've had numerous requests from OH for another cardamom cake ... it's a long time since I made one and we do love it so ... I tried a new recipe this time and it's a very good one indeed ... it's the one from The Hairy Bikers' Big Book of Baking ... can't find the recipe online other than in this blog and I've not checked it for verisimilitude http://ukzoe.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/car ... -cake.html

cardamom cake.jpg

It's so good we've both just had to eat two pieces each ... purely as quality control you understand :oops: :chops:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby smitch » October 22nd, 2017, 2:30 pm

Looks lovely, cardamom is one of my favourite spices.
smitch
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 22nd, 2017, 3:12 pm

It's a very good recipe ... made by the melted butter method and has a very soft texture ... very delicious indeed :chops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 22nd, 2017, 5:00 pm

suffolk wrote:Hope they arrived ok Seatallen :tu:

They did! Friend texted me to confirm. Amazingly, they arrived the next day. I posted them on Thurs afternoon and they were delivered on the Friday. Usually it takes a good couple of days for parcels/cards to be delivered in view of the remoteness.

Cardamon cakes look lovely... :chops:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 22nd, 2017, 8:54 pm

Mmmm they look sooooo good, I had a pre Christ*as mince pie after my supper tonight....... I am starting to think tinsel and baubles.......!!!!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 26th, 2017, 9:25 am

I have lots of cardamoms, green and black ones, so will have to give this a go as otherwise they (the cardamoms) could sit in my cupboard for years ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 26th, 2017, 10:27 am

Give yourself plenty of time to shell the cardamoms Patsy ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 26th, 2017, 10:33 am

I love seed cake of any description. It seems to be coming back into fashion doesn't it? :chops:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby dennispc » December 2nd, 2017, 4:33 pm

Finally got around to making a spelt sourdough - tweaking an Andrew Whitley recipe. There's no way I can keep to all his temperature guides, so didn't bother. Easy to make the starter, took about four days from start to using. It was tasty, a bit nutty and malty in flavour. He adds a raisin mush, which I think helps. 50g or raisins, 50g of boiling water, leave for an hour and whizz up.

Spelt sourdough.jpg
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 3rd, 2017, 10:15 am

That looks really good Dennis :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 3rd, 2017, 7:03 pm

Looks really professional - I like the sound of the raisin mush, it must add a lovely flavour.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby dennispc » December 4th, 2017, 12:10 pm

Thank you, I think next time I bake my normal wholemeal loaf I'll add the raisin mush, just to see what it tastes like.
dennispc
Registered

Postby Mamta » December 5th, 2017, 6:27 am

Made a boiled fruit cake in my Panasonic bread maker. It tastes pretty nice, moist and sweet. It is for a birdwatching trip to Titchwell Marsh, lets see what my fellow travellers think :). We will need it, bad weather is predicted. But it is a pre-booked trip, so we will go anyway!
Mamta
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 5th, 2017, 7:53 am

Don't forget that flask of something hot Mama ! By the way I must tell you that the broccoli curry recipe that is yours and so much loved in this household now has a new twist. Mr. Z has it in a toastie ! Loves it, he does..... :chops:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 5th, 2017, 9:19 am

Have a good trip to Norfolk Mamta! If the wind is in the north you'll get the worst of it there so wrap up warm. The waders are definitely arriving so there'll be lots to see. I saw huge flocks of lapwing and other waders on Breydon Water and the surrounding marshes at the weekend.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Rainbow » December 9th, 2017, 12:27 am

Mamta wrote:Made a boiled fruit cake in my Panasonic bread maker. It tastes pretty nice, moist and sweet. It is for a birdwatching trip to Titchwell Marsh, lets see what my fellow travellers think :). We will need it, bad weather is predicted. But it is a pre-booked trip, so we will go anyway!

How did you manage to do that, Malta. Sounds like a good idea!
Rainbow
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 10th, 2017, 12:15 am

Mince pies, Mexican quiche, cranberry and orange loaf/cake and a couple of baked potatoes for another time. I had Mr. Z as a helper, it really speeded things up. He is getting very good at filling mince pies and putting the tops on. :tu: :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 16th, 2017, 8:44 pm

It's not often I am entitled to put anything on this thread, but seized by I know not what, I decided to make and actually carried out my plan within 24 hours (as opposed to the usual 24 months) making an Ecclefechan tart. I may have over cooked it a wee bit, but the filling is also dark because I used dark brown soft sugar rather than golden. Looking forward to trying it. The uncooked filling was luscious.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 8th, 2018, 8:25 am

My oven went on yesterday around 2ish as the sun was out we had FREE tricity !! I made saus. rolls, fruit (a mix of apple, pineapple and pear) tatin, he helped with mince pies. Lunch cooked was breast of chicken with cheese and bacon, roast 'snips and green beans cooked in a glass casserole in the oven. The tatos were the last from the party on the 2nd heated in the oven.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 28th, 2018, 1:33 pm

Yesterday I made a tarte a l'oignon as starter for a dinner party.
Turned into a bit of a Felicity Cloake style rummage through French and English recipes. Mrs David was right, every region has its own version, and they vary a lot. Some are weird (soya milk + gruyere?)
These were the decisions
Onions - how many? Amounts ranged from 2 onions to 2 kg. I used 1 kg large onions quartered and sliced on the 2 mm blade in the processor
Cream, milk etc - amounts ranged from none (just eggs and onions cooked to stay wet) to huge amounts of cream and milk, sometimes double cream, sometimes creme fraiche. I used 200 ml of nice thick creme fraiche
Eggs - amounts ranged from 1 yolk to 4 whole eggs, I usd 2 whole
Cheese ranged from none to 20 g parmesan to 200 g gruyere. I usd about 60 g Comte, just to counteract the sweetness of the onions and cream
Crust - everyone seemed to agree, used you usual savoury shortcrust. Phew! But size of dish ranged from 23 to 32 cm, though mainly unspecified and mist recipes did not bake blind, though some did. I baked blind in a 24 cm deep tart tin
Lardons - none or 50 to 200 g. I used 75 g as that was the size of the half package, another time I'd leave them out or use both boxes
The method was easy. Fry lardons and remove from saute pan. Add butter and onions, cook slowly with a lid on stirring occasionally for about 25 minutes untik very soft and excess juice had disappeared, allowed to cool to tepid.
Mixed all the filling ingredients except lardons with salt, pepper, and nutmeg, made a litre so that seemed about right. Filled crust, added lardons, baked abot 25 minutes at 170C fan. This doesn't seem much, but the crust and tin were quite hot and the filling not very wet.

End result I was very pleased with, seven people ate the lot (I was expecting lunch too!)

Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 28th, 2018, 11:34 pm

Hello, have just joined this incredibly long thread!

Wanted to share these cookies: http://nyti.ms/2EiPX32

They were amazing!

I've got some pics that I'll try to post tomorrow!
KC2
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 29th, 2018, 12:25 am

Those look good KC2 (when I finally fought my way through the NYT registration)

I think my Instagram pic hasn't worked, here's the pic of the tarte a l'oignon
IMG_20180127_1833477_rewind.jpg
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 29th, 2018, 11:11 am

Ooohh, that looks yummy Sue!

Here are our pics. I have to admit it was my son who provided the inspiration - he came across the recipe on the NYT (sorry about the registration thing, but they have some really great recipes and so far I haven't had them blocked because I don't pay a subscription) and did most of the work!

The recipe doesn't say to glaze them and we were curious about what they would look like either glazed or unglazed, and there was so much egg that we decided to try glazing one batch. They definitely look better unglazed.

I think next time we probably wouldn't bother with the beaten egg and rolling them in demerara sugar. It's nice but we're not sure how much the faff actually added to the end result.

We also baked them for about 10 minutes longer than stated in the recipe, which is what other comments had said too.
Attachments
close up glazed cookie.JPG
close up unglazed cookie.JPG
24 cookies.JPG
ready to bake.JPG
cookie dough.JPG
KC2
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 29th, 2018, 12:19 pm

Mmmm, both Sue's tarte a l'oignon and KC2's cookies look really delicious. I am not a huge fan of choc chip cookies or shortbread but they look so professional!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 29th, 2018, 12:47 pm

If anyone has a useful tip on how to chunk/chip bars of chocolate, please tell! We had a bit of a bother yesterday doing it and I've since looked on the internet for useful methods - I think possibly one that involves freezing the chocolate first might be the best - as that involves foresight I may just leave a bar of chocolate permanently in the freezer, just in case ...!

Otherwise a hammer and a thick plastic bag may be the answer .... :lol:
KC2
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 29th, 2018, 2:34 pm

I have had most success chopping with a sharp knife in the way that you might chop herbs. Short blasts in a food processor can work as long as you keep removing all but the remaining pieces which need to be chopped. Nowadays I would go for the dark choc drops which can be found in the baking section of the supermarket. There are some very good quality ones amongst the nastier cooking chocolate and they save a lot of faff.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Suelle » January 29th, 2018, 2:44 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I have had most success chopping with a sharp knife in the way that you might chop herbs. Short blasts in a food processor can work as long as you keep removing all but the remaining pieces which need to be chopped. Nowadays I would go for the dark choc drops which can be found in the baking section of the supermarket. There are some very good quality ones amongst the nastier cooking chocolate and they save a lot of faff.

I usually chop chocolate with a knife, or sometimes a mezzaluna, depending on how much I'm chopping. I've found dark chocolate impossible to chop into regular chunks - there are always shards, splinters and dust, as dark chocolate is more brittle than milk. I like the variation in the sizes of the pieces, but if regularity is required, it's better to buy chips specially designed for cooking. But as EM says - look for the better quality stuff - if it's cheaper per 100g than the bar of chocolate you would use, then it probably won't be very nice.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » January 29th, 2018, 2:59 pm

I find a mezzaluna best for hard substances like chocolate and nuts, the bits don't fly off in all directions like they do with a straight chefs knife, it seems quite a lot easier to control with a rocking motion

But I too am more inclined to choc chips, I think I saw small ones specially for cookies somewhere?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 29th, 2018, 8:32 pm

Hi all, thanks for your input. For this particular recipe uneven chunks are fine - even preferable as it makes the cookies look more interesting! I must admit I've never looked for the better quality choc chips so will do next time I'm shopping.

I have a mezzaluna, which I'm afraid is not very sharp any longer so I don't know how useful it would be.

Yesterday we ended up using the small bowl of the magimix. We did indeed find that short sharp blasts were better, when we tried it on continuous the blade actually lifted. The dust was not too much of a problem - it was just like using some cocoa powder a well as chunks I guess! (I then used the same bowl for a batch of hummus, which certainly didn't appear to suffer!)
KC2
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 30th, 2018, 6:18 pm

fullsizeoutput_3ca.jpeg
Chocolate, pear and marzipan tart. I'm not very good at editing, could not get it all in the photo or 'the file was too big'

I shall make that again, also the chocolate pastry :chops: :chops:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 30th, 2018, 7:40 pm

Looks good Zosh! Like the presentation
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 2nd, 2018, 6:34 pm

Chocolate, pear and marzipan! Cor, I'm not a massive chocolate fan but I do like the sound of that! Any chance of the recipe please?
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 2nd, 2018, 10:20 pm

I cobbled it together from 2 recipes and a twist of my own. Chocolate pastry but did not use an egg to bind just water. Bake blind, thin slices of marzipan (my twist) on the baked case followed by halves of fresh peeled and cored pears and a mousse type topping of melted choc. egg yolks, whisk whites and fold in, put on top of pears and bake ! It is rather scrummy. :chops:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby dennispc » February 5th, 2018, 12:15 pm

Sunday morning baking.

l to r: Dan Lepard's overnight hot cross(less) buns - don't usually take the option of using some rye flour, but had some to spare; wholemeal loaf, 300g stone ground wholemeal bread flour, 200g white bread flour, etc.; wholemeal seeded loaf, overnight mix, 150g dark rye flour (finishing the bag), 150g stone ground wholemeal and whatever seeds I had.

bit of a bake.jpg
dennispc
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » February 5th, 2018, 6:13 pm

Gorgeous looking bread...I can almost smell it!
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 5th, 2018, 8:41 pm

Mmmmmm Den !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 6th, 2018, 1:59 pm

Not sure if it counts but I made a lovely uncooked cheesecake with a ginger nut base and a bar of white chocolate and some vanilla together with 200 g of cream cheese on top. It was delicious!
KC2
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 12th, 2018, 4:34 pm

Lemon drizzle cake.jpg

Lemon drizzle, straight out of the oven ... can't decide whether to glaze it with a little lemon icing or not ...
KC2
Registered

Postby dennispc » February 12th, 2018, 4:51 pm

You need the drizzle, definitely. :D
dennispc
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 12th, 2018, 5:13 pm

Don't worry, dennispc, It's got the drizzle :D it's whether I also do some icing/glaze - it happens to be a Nigella Lawson recipe and after spiking it with the lemon syrup while it's still warm, she says wait until it's cooled and then ice it with a lemon juice and icing sugar glaze.
KC2
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 12th, 2018, 8:52 pm

I'd whack a bit of icing on it if it were mine. :hungry:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 12th, 2018, 9:32 pm

Well I did, Tezza, but I made it too thin! So it just sank in like more drizzle!
I find it really hard to use the quantities of icing sugar that are needed to make thick icing - the idea of 150 g of icing sugar for the juice of half a lemon - which is what the recipe says - kind of seemed like much toooooo much sugar - my teeth almost hurt thinking about it! So I ended up making it too thin :lol: :lol: Never mind, I will have to grit my teeth and try to use the required amount next time :D
KC2
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 13th, 2018, 4:01 pm

I made a sort of baked ratatouille and then with some minced turkey, chopped onion, garlic and a T spoon of mixed spice poked walnut sized meatballs in amongst the veg. Oh, and there was a lone sweet potato that was cubed and added as well. 2 aubergine cups with mince inside adorned the corners and there should be enough there to last us a good few meals.

I made the Jamaican chocolate cake with minor adjustments, some cheese and some sweet wholemeal shortbread and a tomato, sp. onion and garlic stuffed green pepper which will have some mozzarella added when cold.

Mr. Z. was very helpful being a go fur.... He has just washed up and wiped surfaces, the DW is on and the sun is now out so a FREE DW clean ! My feet are killing me, but I have been on them since 6.15 this morning.
Attachments
IMG_0614.JPG
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » February 14th, 2018, 3:01 am

I made some Focaccia.
There´s none left!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby smitch » February 14th, 2018, 10:03 am

I baked a lovely blood orange loaf cake at the weekend http://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/blood-orange-buttermilk-pound-cake/ I just grated a bit of the zest onto the icing, didn't bother with the slices like in the photo. Was really nice, will definitely make it again.
smitch
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 14th, 2018, 9:52 pm

Looks yummy!

Made the fantastic Claudia Roden's orange and almond cake today for tomorrow evening's pudd ... http://bit.ly/2suZ5z5
KC2
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 15th, 2018, 12:09 pm

Zosherooney wrote:I made a sort of baked ratatouille and then with some minced turkey, chopped onion, garlic and a T spoon of mixed spice poked walnut sized meatballs in amongst the veg. Oh, and there was a lone sweet potato that was cubed and added as well. 2 aubergine cups with mince inside adorned the corners and there should be enough there to last us a good few meals.

:chops: :chops: :chops: :hungry: That is just up my street Zosh ... I already have the minced turkey ;) 8-)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 15th, 2018, 10:20 pm

We had it for supper Patsy with some noodles. Totally lush! Enough for a fare few more meals too.... :chops:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » February 17th, 2018, 1:03 am

I made a pizza. Not particularly inspiring, but I used up (a) a pot of fresh tomato sauce (b) a chunk of Buffalo mozzarella and (c) some cooked artichoke hearts left over from Tuesday´s artichoke balls!!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Bakers Oven