Kilner jars

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Kilner jars

Postby Hope » November 13th, 2016, 10:25 am

I have a a kilner jar (actually kilner-style, it's a different brand) that has not got a rubber seal ring on it. Would it be ok to use it for storing things like pasta/rice/flour? If not, can I use a rubber band on it? Or should I buy a new ring?

I have an old screw-top Kilner (actual Kilner) jar. It has a metal screw top, over a glass lid with a rubber ring that fits into the jar. But the glass lid is completely stuck. It's almost flush to the top, so there's nothing to grab hold of. Even Mr Hope can't open it (I thought it was just my dodgy hands). Is there a knack to opening them? Or do I just keep it as an ornament?!
Hope
Registered

Re: Kilner jars

Postby Seatallan » November 13th, 2016, 10:31 am

Re the jar without the rubber seal, I have a few like that and use them for storage with no probs. I'd say avoid flour and sugar as without the seal they may get a bit damp and clumpy if you know what I mean.

Re the second question- never had one do that so it sounds to me like it's stuck for some reason (or its a dud jar). Have you tried soaking it in hot water for a while?
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Suelle » November 13th, 2016, 10:32 am

I wouldn't have thought the jar without a rubber ring was useful for any sort of storage if the contents need to be airtight, but it's probably Ok for pasta, unless you have a very damp kitchen - I think you've mentioned high humidity before!

Old style kilner jars - I remember my mother inserting a table knife between the lid and ring, and twisting it, to break the seal.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Ratatouille » November 13th, 2016, 11:27 am

I use le Parfait jars for all my preserving - they have a rubber gasget which has to be replaced everytime. To break the vacuum which is of course what presevres the contents, I use a pair of pliers. grasp the tag and just pull.

Your jar without the ring is probably stuck because a vacuum has formed - maybe it was damp when put back on. I suggest thrying to slide a thin blade between jar and lid, then twist if you manage to get it through. Wear gloves though!
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby 4dogsagain » November 13th, 2016, 12:54 pm

Try putting the bottom half of the stuck jar in very hot water. This should expand the air inside, and may enable you to lever it off. Repeat as the water cools.
Can you not buy replacement rubber rings for the Kilner jars? We have a similar jar here (Consol jars) and replacement spares are readily available in supermarkets and hardware stores.
Don't stop doing things because you are growing old; you only grow old if you stop doing things.
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby scullion » November 13th, 2016, 1:35 pm

you can get packs of spare gaskets from the big swedish shop that fit some sizes of le parfait jars, too. cook shops and some hardware shops (maybe 'the range' as they sell kilner jars) often sell them, too.

we used the old style kilner jars with the metal (and later plastic) screw tops and we, too, used a table knife to release the vacuum ( or when the rubber perished and cemented the jar and lid together) in the way that suelle describes.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 13th, 2016, 2:16 pm

Wilko also sell them, and there are lots of sellers on Amazon too :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Hope » November 13th, 2016, 3:52 pm

The jar with a missing ring is actually a Le Parfait one (or whatever it is) which explains why it hasn't got one.

Will get Mr Hope to try the knife leavering thing later. It was my Gran's jar, so I am rather ridiculously attached to it and want to be able to use it. As long as it doesn't re-seal itself so much I can't open it again.

Yes my kitchen/house is quite damp, so I'll look for another ring for the jar. I don't do the Swedish shop (mostly because it's miles away), but will try Wilko/amazon, etc.
Hope
Registered

Postby Hope » November 13th, 2016, 3:55 pm

Oh, I've done it! :D It always takes me rather by surprise when I actually manage to do things like that! The rubber is disintegrating and rather sticky too, so that one will need replacing.
Hope
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 13th, 2016, 4:05 pm

Well done Hope!

The gaskets do tend to distintergrate if used and then left there. If you use it without one for pasta or something like that it will look good and not jam itself again :bounce: :bounce: No need to buy a new gasket if you don't want to preserve in it.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 13th, 2016, 4:51 pm

I actually think the large Le Parfait style jars from IKEA have an advantage over the real thing as they are intended to be used as canisters rather than for bottling, so have a silicone/plastic seal that doesn't perish
The downside is that if you dismantle them for cleaning they are impossible to reassemble (at least, I think so)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby 4dogsagain » November 13th, 2016, 5:12 pm

I use this type of jar in my pantry for storing dry goods, for two reasons: the ants can't get in, neither can weevils.

consol.png
consol.png (18.58 KiB) Viewed 2927 times
Don't stop doing things because you are growing old; you only grow old if you stop doing things.
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby Mamta » November 21st, 2016, 11:18 am

Stuck Jar lid:
Dip the lid only, not the jar, in hot water so it expands a bit. Then try to unscrew it.
My kitchen fitter showed me another method that works a treat. I guess many of you know it already: Tap the lid gently a few times on a wooden board (dont ruin your kitchen surfaces) . Then unscrew. Most of the time it works.
If it doesn't work, throw the jar away :rolleyes: ?
Mamta
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 13th, 2018, 8:21 pm

I am contemplating making marmalade and found a pack of Le Parfait terrine jars, which I must have bought in France. Has anyone used these? Will thy be ok for jammy things? I shall have to translate the instructions...!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 13th, 2018, 9:32 pm

I don't see why not - and Le Parfait seem to recommend them for bottling fruit compotes, not a million miles from marmalade perhaps?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » March 13th, 2018, 11:05 pm

The le parfait website has instructions for a few preserves including jam and marmalade, here, http://www.leparfait.com/how-to-make-your-own-jams .
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 13th, 2018, 11:41 pm

They aren't using the terrine jars (straight sides, clip lids) though for jam, they are using the screw top ones
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » March 13th, 2018, 11:57 pm

yeah, i was looking on my phone rather than on the laptop but i, too, can't see why you couldn't use the terrine jars (apple changed that to uterine - who knew!).
just be careful of the heat of the clips when you've sterilised the jars and and are fitting them back together!
scullion
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 14th, 2018, 1:13 pm

You can use them but if they haven't got rubber gaskets you won't get a very good seal which risks mould if the contents are kept for a long time.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 14th, 2018, 6:00 pm

Ok, so maybe I should get something else. Thanks, Rats. Anyone want any terrine jars?! Obviously didn't know what they were when I bought them and just liked the shape. I have a load of Kilner jars (including some lovely purple and turquoise ones) but they are too big really. I'm only making 2kg of oranges' worth (in my jam maker). I suppose jam jars and wax discs would be the sensible (and cheap) option... A lunch hour Robert Dyas visit perhaps.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 14th, 2018, 6:09 pm

do I need the discs?!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 15th, 2018, 1:40 pm

All you need is an airtight seal put on a sterilised jar while the contents are still hot. In the "old days" jars were often merely covered with a wax disc and a cellophane circle which was dampened and stretched over with an elasth ic band. As they dried they tighten. Unfortunately these do not make a complete seal and so the contents often shrink or develop mould.

Another tip is to store all opened jars of preserves in the fridge - for some things, like fruit curds this is essential.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 15th, 2018, 3:05 pm

Thanks.

I do always keep jam etc. in the fridge. Of course, if it's nice, it may not last long :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 15th, 2018, 4:44 pm

During my afternoon nap today I dreamt of Kilner jars, loads of them. I was pulling the lids off with my teeth!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 15th, 2018, 4:50 pm

:o :D
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 16th, 2018, 6:21 pm

Damn. I didn't realize I needed muslin for marmalade. I take it cheese cloth (which I have) won't do...? I wonder if Sainsbury's will have it.. otherwise it's a trip on the train in the (potential) snow to the nearesest Lakeland.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 16th, 2018, 7:32 pm

Why on earth do you need muslin for marmalade? Jelly yes but marmalde never. Have I missed out on the recipe?
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 16th, 2018, 7:40 pm

Try googling it, Rats.

A lot of recipes say scoop put the pith and peel and put it in muslin as draw up the sides to make a bag, then boil it. To release the pectin? Delia does it, my friend at work was telling me - her preferred recipe. So does Thomasina Miers, but also lots of recipes on line. My jam maker recipe book has two versions - one using whole oranges and the other using the muslin bag method.
I could do with a relative to show me how to do this/metaphorically hold my hand! I have no confidence in my confiture making skills!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 16th, 2018, 7:43 pm

ok. Looking at Ian's recipe. Will use that (and Ms Miers')
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 17th, 2018, 10:27 am

Herbidacious wrote:Damn. I didn't realize I needed muslin for marmalade. I take it cheese cloth (which I have) won't do...? I wonder if Sainsbury's will have it.. otherwise it's a trip on the train in the (potential) snow to the nearesest Lakeland.

Nothing to do with marmalade, but I would think that cheese cloth would substitute easily with muslin ... almost the same thing as far as I am concerned :?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 17th, 2018, 11:22 am

I bought muslin from the craft / haberdashery store on the high street, a quarter the price of what they had in the kitchen shop and and better quality
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 17th, 2018, 11:33 am

Will look out for that Sue. You are lucky to have a craft/habderdashery on your high street! I decided that a) cheese cloth would do, but b) I'd go down the boiling whole oranges route. My cheese cloth is for making cheese with... and that's going to happen when?! :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 18th, 2018, 12:23 pm

I am ta the end stages of my marmalade now Just thought I'd quickly look at the Le Parfait video while it's cooking. They are aiming for humour :D
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 18th, 2018, 1:37 pm

Herbidacious wrote:A lot of recipes say scoop put the pith and peel and put it in muslin as draw up the sides to make a bag, then boil it.

I've been known to use a scalded J cloth for that when I've not had muslin.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 18th, 2018, 6:58 pm

The recipe I used did not call for parcelling up pips, however I did give them a quick boil in the orange water and then just poured the hole thing through a sieve, in the end.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » March 18th, 2018, 8:03 pm

I use ‘muslin’ for quite a few things and find it rather expensive, and I have to get it on line anyway, so I buy packs of muslin nappies which are pretty cheap and easily available, and when I’ve used them a few times....always for orange pips and pith for marmalade, for pease pudding, for putting, well soaked with butter, over turkey or sometimes a large chicken, for herbs etc in casseroles, I just chuck them out if they are a bit grotty. Though I find they come up pretty well after a dish-washer cycle.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby scullion » March 19th, 2018, 9:25 am

I have a 'spice ball' for the pips etc. - it's like a tea infuser on steroids.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 19th, 2018, 9:53 am

I would have needed a tennis ball sized one...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » March 19th, 2018, 11:52 am

i think it is, just about.
scullion
Registered

Return to The Kitchen