Celery

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Celery

Postby mogatogs » April 3rd, 2018, 3:13 pm

Afternoon,

I absolutely hate celery no matter how it comes - problem is so many recipes include it :rolleyes: when I make a casserole I just ignore it, but have found my OH drooling over Mary Berry Leek and Stilton quiche which includes celery :scared: can I just add more leeks or what? He is away till Saturday and I would like to make something very similar x x Thanks in advance x x
mogatogs
Registered

Re: Celery

Postby suffolk » April 3rd, 2018, 3:26 pm

I'd leave the celery out if you don't like it ... a few more leeks would be fine. :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 3rd, 2018, 3:31 pm

Is it the taste or texture? If the latter you could use a sprinkling of celery salt,
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 3rd, 2018, 3:36 pm

I love celery and it goes well with stilton, but I can't see it adding much in this recipe, You wouldn't even need to add much extra leek, it's just two sticks

Here's the recipe
https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/leek_and_stilton_quiche_08524
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » April 3rd, 2018, 3:37 pm

We often leave celery out, mainly because we haven't got it as when we do get it specially for something, it usually ends up floppy and tired because it doesn't get eaten - unless it's for soup or something so it all gets used up at once! IMHO I would have thought a leek and Stilton quiche would still be perfectly fine without any of the offending veg.
I just googled the recipe and see it requires 2 thinly sliced sticks for an 11 inch tart for a light lunch for 6-8 people - I'm sure you can just add a bit more leek and'or parsley to make up the quantity.

But see what other Wildies think ...
KC2
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 3rd, 2018, 4:56 pm

I agree. If you wanted to retain something with a similar underlying flavour you could use a wee bit of fennel perhaps?

Celery seems to be one of those 'Marmite' things doesn't it? Mr S and I both like it and I use it a lot but I know many people who can't abide it.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Amber » April 3rd, 2018, 8:35 pm

I love celery in all forms, but sometimes, if necessary, I’ve used fennel as a substitute. It adds a similar, but different flavour.
Amber
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 3rd, 2018, 9:22 pm

A leek and cheese tart is utterly delicious and certainly doesn't need celery :sprout:. I love fennel but don't think the tart needs it. You can always add a little softened chopped onion to eke it out - the recipe for blue cheese tart that I started out with uses half blue and half cottage cheese and is still very flavoursome (don't ask for the recipe - it's been in my head for over 30 years now!)

I can just about manage celery filled with something delicious like flavoured cream cheese these days but would never choose it.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » April 3rd, 2018, 11:08 pm

I love celery but am often left wondering what to use it for.
For your stew, I`d just leave it out.
It is, of course, an essential ingredient in French mirepoix - the basis for many wonderful dishes.
I´ve eaten it braised - but am not impressed.
It´s great when used as a basis for Pasta e Fagioli or roasted with root vegetables to make a delicious soup.
I suppose you could also hurl sticks of it at the starlings so they don´t eat your tomatoes :lol: :lol: :lol:
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 4th, 2018, 1:48 am

I wish I could find something horrible to say about celery, but I can't! I can do a whole head in one sitting just as it is. Lovely! An absolute 1970's favourite in our house was a plateful of raw celery, drizzled with low calorie salad cream and slices of Cheddar. My mum was on a constant diet. Celery was the in thing. The Cheddar was not supposed to be! :lol:

I'm liking the look of the tart. I've a big bag of mire poix in my freezer including celery. It wouldn't be mire poix without it. :tu: Yum yum.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 4th, 2018, 5:35 am

We use celery in our slaw, in fact we need to do a batch today for his lunches for Thur. &Fri. One of my fave sarnies is cheese and celery but the cheese has to be grated and the celery thinly sliced with mayo.... How naughty is that ! :shock:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 4th, 2018, 6:32 am

We buy a head of celery most weeks , it's a staple in this house and we buy it just as we but potatoes, onions and carrots.
It's used in a mirepoix for most casseroles and soups, outer stems and leaves are used in stocks, and the centre is used in salads and slaws (if it's not just eaten by the cook as she goes along :D ), and we like it braised. :chops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 4th, 2018, 6:42 am

Does anyone have a really good celery soup recipe please? I used to enjoy it as a kid before I gave up dairy. It was probably cream of out of a Heinz tin. I'd love to recreate it instead of just buying it in tin form.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Gruney » April 4th, 2018, 8:34 am

TeresaFoodie wrote:Does anyone have a really good celery soup recipe please? I used to enjoy it as a kid before I gave up dairy. It was probably cream of out of a Heinz tin. I'd love to recreate it instead of just buying it in tin form.

I've made this many times - it has no right to taste so good, and be so easy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/celerysoup_85016
Gruney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 4th, 2018, 9:07 am

suffolk wrote:We buy a head of celery most weeks , it's a staple in this house and we buy it just as we but potatoes, onions and carrots.
It's used in a mirepoix for most casseroles and soups, outer stems and leaves are used in stocks, and the centre is used in salads and slaws (if it's not just eaten by the cook as she goes along ), and we like it braised.

Ditto
The only things you missed :D are using it in a bouquet garni both for flavour and structure and adding the leaves to marinades

My "braised" celery is done by prepping the sticks of celery and wrapping them in a foil parcel, adding S&P, nut of butter, splash of liquid, cook on oven shelf alongside the main
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 4th, 2018, 9:15 am

I've made one loosely based on this a few times http://rapscalli.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07 ... jamie.html which turned out well :chops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 4th, 2018, 9:18 am

StokeySue wrote:The only things you missed are using it in a bouquet garni both for flavour and structure and adding the leaves to marinades

Excuse 1. Some things I take as a 'given'

Excuse 2. Thought I ought to leave something for someone else to say :lol: ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 4th, 2018, 11:51 am

suffolk wrote:We buy a head of celery most weeks , it's a staple in this house and we buy it just as we but potatoes, onions and carrots.
It's used in a mirepoix for most casseroles and soups, outer stems and leaves are used in stocks, and the centre is used in salads and slaws (if it's not just eaten by the cook as she goes along :D ), and we like it braised. :chops:

StokeySue wrote:Ditto

Thirded. :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 4th, 2018, 12:34 pm

Fourthed. Braised celery finish with the jus from a raost is just wonderful and who couldn't like celery sticks cut into short lengths and filled with herby cream cheese of, better still Primula :chops: :chops:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Busybee » April 4th, 2018, 3:42 pm

Ratatouille wrote:Fourthed. Braised celery finish with the jus from a raost is just wonderful and who couldn't like celery sticks cut into short lengths and filled with herby cream cheese of, better still Primula :chops: :chops:

Or filled with crunchy peanut butter.........food of the Gods, but not whilst partaking in Slimming World!

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 4th, 2018, 4:26 pm

Oh goodness me BB, just when I am trying to control my waistline! :lol: I might have to raid the larder! I really like the look of the suggested celery soup recipes! My belly is rumbling.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » April 4th, 2018, 6:12 pm

Can´t agree with braised celery.
About as exciting as a wet weekend in Great Yarmouth. :shock: :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 4th, 2018, 6:16 pm

I've had both KK ...much as I have a degree of affection for Gt Yarmouth, even in the rain, I can authoritatively state that braised celery is much more exciting :bounce: :hungry:

but it does need to be cooked well in good chicken stock and a generous amount of butter and black pepper.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby mogatogs » April 4th, 2018, 6:23 pm

Thank you, can't bear the texture or taste, apparently it is a taste you acquire with age!!!! :sprout:
mogatogs
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 4th, 2018, 6:25 pm

Must've been born old then ........... I've loved it since I was a small child ... especially with a chunk of cheddar cheese and some fresh crusty white bread :chops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 4th, 2018, 7:06 pm

suffolk wrote:especially with a chunk of cheddar cheese and some fresh crusty white bread

Which is exactly how my Dad and I used to eat fresh garden celery in front of Dr Who on a Saturday evening :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » April 4th, 2018, 9:18 pm

We used to eat it in stick form, dipped into a small pile of salt on the side of the plate.
We ate spring onions the same way - before salt was bad for you of course.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 4th, 2018, 10:07 pm

mogatogs wrote:Thank you, can't bear the texture or taste, apparently it is a taste you acquire with age!!!! :sprout:

Perhaps when we grow up then Mogs .. :lol:

We used to have braised celery for Sunday lunch at boarding school and were expected to leave clean plates. We all loathed it although I think it was cooked properly. Once, when I had the kind of cold where one loses all sense of taste, I ate everyone's (a table of 8) to be kind because I couldn't taste it - the texture was still pretty :sprout: though.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 4th, 2018, 10:20 pm

I do remember "braised" celery made from canned celery hearts - I used to quite like it but it's a stronger flavour than braised fresh celery and I wonder if schools might have served that?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Rocky » April 5th, 2018, 1:11 am

Wow. I love the way we are all different . I don't LOATHE celery but have practically zero interest and probably but it about once a year at Christmas. Must broaden horizons...
Rocky
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 5th, 2018, 8:22 am

I prefer celery raw rather than cooked, but will add it to stews ... however my favourite part is the bit of root left at the bottom with only the very base of the stalks :chops:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 5th, 2018, 9:05 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:however my favourite part is the bit of root left at the bottom with only the very base of the stalks

Mine too :chops: I look forward to the short season when the Fenland celery appears in the shops ... it has much bigger roots :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 5th, 2018, 9:12 am

We called that the "nut". Andfought over it
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 5th, 2018, 9:51 am

Luckily I don't have anyone to fight for it ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 5th, 2018, 7:11 pm

I adore celery in any shape or form but a favourite is it diced then steeped overnight in the juice from a jar of gherkins. :D It's lovely this way with cheese or cooked meats or stirred through tuna mayo.
liketocook
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » April 6th, 2018, 5:09 pm

J calls it the heel of the celery and it's his favourite bit.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » April 6th, 2018, 6:12 pm

That sounds lovely liketocook . I don’t mind celery , wouldn’t be on my list of favourites but always use it in a mirepoix. Always wondered what it was that make so many people hate it . I like it stuffed with StAgur
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » April 6th, 2018, 6:36 pm

:sprout: :sprout: :sprout: . Sorry to all those who like it.

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » April 8th, 2018, 12:44 pm

I'll join you in haters corner, horrid stuff, I also think gin tastes like celery so won't touch that either.
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 8th, 2018, 2:06 pm

Gin tastes like celery?? What brand of gin have you been tasting? Must be ab=nother of those strange chemical reaction things.

Have to say I love both :lol:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Catherine » April 8th, 2018, 2:40 pm

I love celery. I add it to loads of stuff I make for the kids. If there is any in the fridge it always goes into bolognaise, soups, special fried rice, what ever really. The kids also love a stick of it to snack on filled with cream cheese. I also add it to all salads and sandwich fillings where I can. I even simply boil it briefly and eat as a side veg
Catherine
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 8th, 2018, 2:41 pm

Another celery lover here. I adore it in any guise. 8-)
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 8th, 2018, 3:12 pm

Celery and Angelica are both members of the Apiaceae family so maybe it's not so weird! I love gin and definitely can't detect celery in it ...but there are different mixes, maybe a different gin would be more palatable!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 8th, 2018, 3:38 pm

[qu
earthmaiden wrote:Celery and Angelica are both members of the Apiaceae family so maybe it's not so weird! I love gin and definitely can't detect celery in it ...but there are different mixes, maybe a different gin would be more palatable!

I was just going to say the same, I bet it's the angelica, I think most gins have some in them
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 8th, 2018, 5:26 pm

MagicMarmite wrote:I also think gin tastes like celery

Me too! Thank goodness I love both! :chops: :cocktail: :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » April 8th, 2018, 11:01 pm

I wasjust thinking about celery, and remembered a lovely recipe from one of my cookbooks: " verdura, by Viana La Place, published in 1991. This is her recipe:

Dama Bianca.jpg
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 9th, 2018, 11:51 am

Gosh, that sounds lovely! Just the thing for a hot summer day... :chops:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » April 9th, 2018, 7:17 pm

It certainly is. Simple, beautiful, light!!
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Luca » April 10th, 2018, 6:23 pm

Sounds delicious kk. Roll on summer or warmer weather at least.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » April 10th, 2018, 7:55 pm

I made a celery based dish yesterday
I had it on a Chinese restaurant in Hampstead many years ago, and as I've learned more about Chinese cooking technique, I've got closer and closer, think I've finally cracked it.
This version is based on a Ken Hom recipe for Cashew Chicken
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/cashew-chicken

I velveted the chicken using the water method, I used slightly less cashew nuts than in the recipe, but added a lot of sliced celery between adding the nuts and the chicken to the wok. I mixed up a little sauce from cornstarch, the Shaoxing and light soy, some lemon juice and a little honey, plus a splash of water, and added it at the end.

Pretty much there, could have made a little more and more lemony sauce. Perhaps a pinch of salt as it's a lot of veg for the amount of soy.

My guess is that someone added the celery because classic cashew chicken is too expensive for a set dinner, then decided it needed more sauce and made up the lemon honey sweet and sour (that was definitely in the original, I asked). Or perhaps it is a family twist on the dish. Works very well.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Next

Return to The Kitchen