Does it ever hit you that you're quite old?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Does it ever hit you that you're quite old?

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 11th, 2018, 2:00 am

I remember about 15 years ago moving house in the middle of a very hot August and sprinting back and forth with our gear from the van to get the job done. This time round I watched everyone else doing the hard work from my window. Boiling a kettle was hard enough! Just watching them wore me out! :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 29th, 2018, 6:05 pm

I spent several minutes with a comb trying to remove a wisp of cotton wool from my hair.

Turned out it was really my first tuft of naturally snow white hair :rolleyes:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 29th, 2018, 6:21 pm

Sue :hug: I distinctly remember finding my first pure white hairs. I hadn't even reached 20. :sad:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 30th, 2018, 1:25 pm

I just found myself absolutely incapable of lifting my (BA compatible hand luggage) suitcase onto the luggage rack over my head (only place for it). A kind young lady (! Calling her such makes me sound even older!) did it for me. It was above my head, but even so...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 30th, 2018, 1:36 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:Sue :hug: I distinctly remember finding my first pure white hairs. I hadn't even reached 20. :sad:

I've had some grey for a long time but it's the first time I've had a clump you could mistake for cotton wool

Herbi - I look older than you (after all, I am !) but I'm also taller and more broad shouldered. I find air crew automatically take hand baggage off me and stow it, but I get smaller people looking at me hopefully.... on planes (I appreciate you are on a train) I check in my main bag even if it is the "cabin bag" on wheels and take an increasingly small hand bag on board, let baggage handling do the heavy lifting!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Busybee » April 30th, 2018, 1:41 pm

When I was returning from our villa 8n Spain a few years ago I had an empty cabin case..........rather than not bring anything home I bought a 10 kilo net of delicious oranges and put them inside the cabin case. All was well wheeling my case through the airport until I boarded the plane and tried to put the bag in the overhead rack. I was mortified when I couldn’t lift it.

I did eventually manage it in a two step process. But it did make me realise I’m not as young as I once was.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » April 30th, 2018, 1:50 pm

For the past 10 months I've been going to something called Bodystreet. It's a form of exercise that uses Electro Muscle Stimulation - you where a suit that has electric connections at strategic points on the body and as you get into various positions it passes a current through the muscle. I have lost a small amount of weight - but that isn't why I signed up as I don't have any weight to lose - but more importantly I have increased my body strength beyond all my expectations. You don't have to be fit to do it and it doesn't matter how old you are. I have dropped a dress size because my muscles are now so toned. My friends are all amazed at the transformation in my body shape.
The reason I'm posting this is because of the strengthening of my body that has happened - I can lift stuff that I would never have been able to - like a case above my head into an overhead locker.
Although very new in this country it is huge in Germany apparently.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 30th, 2018, 1:57 pm

I’ll look into that! I did have a gym sub once. It helped tone things but I didn’t enjoy it one bit.
Edit: well maybe a little bit. I liked the arm exercises... and overdid and injured myself. Doh.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 30th, 2018, 2:01 pm

Bodystreet don't seem to have any London locations, but there are other EMS (that's the generic term for this kind of exercise) franchises.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 30th, 2018, 2:02 pm

I hope I can get my bag down again. It has to be easier...? DSLR in there though. Someone has just rammed their suitcase in next to it.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » April 30th, 2018, 3:14 pm

Herbidacious wrote:I’ll look into that! I did have a gym sub once. It helped tone things but I didn’t enjoy it one bit.
Edit: well maybe a little bit. I liked the arm exercises... and overdid and injured myself. Doh.

The best bit is that you only do it for 20 minutes a week :lol:
I saw real changes after just 12 weeks - I am now wearing sleeveless tops and dresses for the first time in years as I have toned arms - but more importantly to me is that I have upper body strength!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 30th, 2018, 6:31 pm

No Bodystreet in London but it is in husband’s town of work in Germany. He was complaining that his arms were getting weak!!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 30th, 2018, 10:14 pm

Bodystreet sounds interesting. I have never had particularly good upper arm strength (dreaded trying to climb ropes in gym at school :evil: ).
Since having my checked luggage lost twice I take a larger carry on bag with a change of clothes and a few basics now. It doesn't have to be huge but I have waited up to 3 days for my case to be delivered and have known people who have had to wait longer. Thankfully the bags are usually traceable.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 2nd, 2018, 12:06 pm

I could beat my husband arm wrestling when we first met. It was to do with having to carrying heavy shopping bags home and my cycling technique (pulling on the handle bars enabling me to somehow move further faster. There must be a word for that.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 2nd, 2018, 12:24 pm

I have reasonably strong upper arms but this is completely negated by my arthritic wrists and thumbs that can give way at a moments notice :cry:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 2nd, 2018, 12:32 pm

I had quite strong upper arms (pitching hay bales etc) until my thyroid began to stop working ... then my upper arm and thigh muscles just became very weak ... climbing stairs was almost impossible ... medication has helped a bit,
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 2nd, 2018, 1:45 pm

I have week hands and wrists, andvhad fairly slender arnms but the shoulders of a handy prop forward. I haven't triedrecently, but last time I found one of those little gyms in a park, I coukd still pulk myself up to chin a bar
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » May 2nd, 2018, 2:18 pm

Bodystreet
I remember waiting for Mum when she went on the "toning tables", never hear of them these days.
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » May 14th, 2018, 2:34 pm

I must be quite old. Yesterday I packed a bottle of water for my walk, not because I expected to get all hot and dehydrated, but because I though I might need to take some tablets while I was out :o
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 14th, 2018, 3:03 pm

Oh Sue! :lol:

I felt old this morning when someone walked onto the stage of Jeremy Kyle and my thoughts were along the line of 'Crikey, she's let herself go in her old age' for it to be revealed she was seven years younger than me..... :oops:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 16th, 2018, 7:50 am

It's happened again.....

In the build up to the World Cup next month there has been football talk on TV this morning focussing on the late great Bobby Robson. A hero of mine going back to my youth came on - Terry Butcher - talking about getting match results on Teletext! He looked so old. I thought crikey, if he looks that old, how old must I look? :shock:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 16th, 2018, 11:05 am

Now you're talking Tezza ... dear Sir Bobby, Terry Butcher and the original Bobby Robson's Army
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p064wb5r :hi5: :kneel:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 16th, 2018, 7:30 pm

Today we went out in my Puma, I am finding it increasingly awkward to get in and out of...... :oops: During the day, I also had to get in and out of a new model of a very large Land Rover, I needed a step ladder to get in ! Getting out was like going on a slide, thankfully the seats were leather and I slid out. I am sure there was a point I was in midair !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 17th, 2018, 6:11 am

Zosh, some of those SUV type cars are like trying to get into a lorry - especially if like me, you have very short legs! I am always surprised when people say they are more comfortable for the elderly. My mum and MIL certainly couldn't have managed to get in.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 11th, 2018, 8:14 am

On a daily basis at the moment being reminded that most of the England squad and many supporters were not even born the last time England reached the semi finals in the world cup.

Me....I'd just got married, had just got a mortgage on my first place and was filling in my wall chart like an overgrown school kid! :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby aero280 » July 11th, 2018, 8:28 am

I’m quite ancient! I was at uni when England won the World Cup in 1966. :o
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby suffolk » July 11th, 2018, 8:52 am

aero280 wrote:I’m quite ancient! I was at uni when England won the World Cup in 1966. :o

I wasn't that old, but I do remember it ... I was on holiday with Bro and parents on the Isle of Wight :D

I'm not by any means 'quite old' .... but I've just ordered myself a 'sholley' ............... I came back from the city centre market having visited the butcher and got several bargains from him, plus some new potatoes, fresh garlic and fennel bulbs and a loaf of sour dough ... and carrying it back to the bus stop I did 'something' to my back ....... nothing major but enough to make me wary of carrying weights like that on a regular basis ... and I like shopping in the market especially now OH isn't at the farm shop. So I've ordered a very trendy Japanese-styled foldable insulated sholley with an acid green handle and wheels ... I'm quite excited ... :bounce:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 11th, 2018, 9:21 am

I've had one for years Suffs. I don't see anything shameful about walking instead of taking the car! Together with a rucksack you can almost do a monthly shop!

I felt incredibly old this morning when a football enthusiast was interviewed on TV. He looked quite old to me, certainly past the age where anyone might look at him twice unless enthralled by his conversation ... but he said he had not been born in 1966 :shock: :o . I often have to remind myself that my young work colleagues must view me like a fossil - in the way I would have at their age!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 11th, 2018, 9:24 am

The 1966 WorldCup final was the first football match I ever watched all the way through, haven't watched many since!

I was just 12, well before Southgate was born, that's the bit that makes me feel ancient
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 11th, 2018, 9:32 am

Mr S is nearly 8 years older than me and can remember 1966 (he was 10). I was 2 so my memories are a bit vague.... :D

I can remember the moon landing however, very clearly.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 11th, 2018, 11:08 am

I'd love to know where you got your sholley suffs. The trolley I have on loan from my mum is very old and tends to topple over easily unless it is half full, plus it's not insulated so I am limited to what I can carry.

I used to call this one an old lady trolley. I wouldn't be without it now!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 11th, 2018, 11:33 am

I've ordered it from Amazon ... there's loads on there ... the one I'm getting is half price at the moment ... it's made by Sabichi.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 11th, 2018, 12:03 pm

I'll have a look now. :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 11th, 2018, 12:24 pm

suffolk wrote:I've ordered it from Amazon ... there's loads on there ... the one I'm getting is half price at the moment ... it's made by Sabichi.

So it's not a Sholley which is a brand? They seem to start at about £130 :o

I have an aging two wheeler which will be replaced at some point - I prefer to use a separate insulated bag though, even if I bung it into the trolley
The thing is my trolley has a built in hook, so you can hang it on the supermarket cart and they no longer seem to be made them, either built in or separate
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 11th, 2018, 12:32 pm

In 1966 we had been married for a year and 2 days later we flew off to the Bahamas for 6 years. We watched the match at my parent's house in Newcastle surrounded by packing.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 11th, 2018, 12:41 pm

StokeySue wrote:So it's not a Sholley which is a brand? They seem to start at about £130

Oh good heavens no!!! Not aware of it as a brand ... it's just what we all called them when we were at art school and some people used them for transporting work/equipment etc.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 11th, 2018, 12:45 pm

StokeySue wrote: ...The thing is my trolley has a built in hook, so you can hang it on the supermarket cart and they no longer seem to be made them, either built in or separate

The Amazon Q & A says

"Question: Can this trolley hang on the front of a supermarket trolley in the same was as shown in one of the photos for the Gimi flexi trolley? tia.
Answer: Yes it can. I've been to M&S and Asda with my trolley and it hangs on the bit where you would put your bags.
By Amazon Customer on 25 May 2017"

So hopefully the one I've ordered will have a hook.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » July 11th, 2018, 1:03 pm

The 1966 World Cup final was the first football match I ever watched all the way through

Ditto, I must have seen some of the earlier rounds, but they don't stick in my mind so much.

I have however, seen rather a lot since :D

I was just the right age to be enthusiastic, expected England to win and they did. Reality dawned as we lost to Scotland the following year, and has stayed with me ever since. However, hope springs eternal, but it's the hope that destroys you... :rolleyes:
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 11th, 2018, 1:13 pm

suffolk wrote:The Amazon Q & A says"Question: Can this trolley hang on the front of a supermarket trolley in the same was as shown in one of the photos for the Gimi flexi trolley? tia.Answer: Yes it can. I've been to M&S and Asda with my trolley and it hangs on the bit where you would put your bags. By Amazon Customer on 25 May 2017"So hopefully the one I've ordered will have a hook.

The Gimi has a hook quite similar to mine, in fact it seems to hang a bit better having a neater and more collapsible handler- but the Q&A doesn't quite make sense as on our shipping carts (I'm using the US term for clarity) have the bag hook under the handle, at the opposite end. However, the pictures show a different story

Gimi.jpg
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 11th, 2018, 1:30 pm

aero280 wrote:I’m quite ancient! I was at uni when England won the World Cup in 1966. :o

I got married that year … July 16th in fact, but can't remember how close that was to the date of the final :? :oops:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby KC2 » July 11th, 2018, 3:32 pm

suffolk wrote:

I wasn't that old, but I do remember it ... I was on holiday with Bro and parents on the Isle of Wight :D

I remember the huge ads on the billboards that were something like:
Battle of Hastings 1066
World Cup 1966
:lol:
KC2
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 13th, 2018, 12:16 pm

I never used to be able to sleep at all during the hours of daylight 0 even when unwell

I was watching the Federer-Anderson match on Wednesday afternoon It was fantastic, and I didn't want to miss a shot

I fell asleep twice :( Must be age catching up with me, I remember my dad snoozing along to the cricket
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 24th, 2018, 10:32 pm

When Carol Decker mentioned on Celebrity Masterchef tonight, just at the same time as I thought it.....plimsoll whitener.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Amber » August 25th, 2018, 9:44 pm

Plimsoll whitener?
We had sandshoe whitener.. ;) :D :D .
Good stuff.
Amber
Registered

Postby Gruney » August 26th, 2018, 12:29 pm

I'm starting to forget having done things. This morning, when I was out with the dog, I sensed something hard in my trousers. I investigated - in my pocket, I found a tin of sardines.
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 26th, 2018, 1:27 pm

Very useful Gruney ... obviously planning ahead ... you never know when you’re going to feel like a snack or need to deter a marauding seagull. Hope it was the ring pull type tin, unless you have a penknife with a can opener blade. ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 26th, 2018, 1:32 pm

I've found some unexpected items in the handbag area before now, but not sardines (yet)

I do go into a room to do something, and do something else, quite often
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 26th, 2018, 1:53 pm

I often have to stand and stare at the garage fridge and sometimes go back into the kitchen and then back into the garage before I remember what I was fetching :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 26th, 2018, 2:06 pm

I just did similar suffs. Got up to close a window and fetch a jumper from the bedroom. Somehow ended up forgetting to do either and found myself in the kitchen staring out of the window asking myself out loud 'Now what did I get up for?'

:oops:

Took a couple of minutes!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 26th, 2018, 6:14 pm

That's hilarious Gruney!

The thing I forget a lot is where I parked the car. I live in a busy residents parking zone and park in a variety of streets. The other morning I was off to work at 4.30am and walking down the next street in the dark with the foraging foxes hunting for the car in an increasing panic when I remembered I had parked almost outside my house :rolleyes:.
earthmaiden
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop