Can you recommend good ready meals?

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Can you recommend good ready meals?

Postby Pepper Pig » April 15th, 2018, 6:35 am

The subject came up on Chatterbox but as it's food-related I thought we could discuss it here. The consensus is that there are few ready meals that are up to much.

I agree that there are many but I think that there are quite a lot that are not just edible but very good indeed. I no longer faff about in the kitchen as much as I once did. (I don't have the enthusiasm or the stamina unless the family are coming over). OH has a very bland, not to say boring palate these days and I often have to prepare something different for him so that Josh and I can eat stuff we really like.

Ready meals I enjoy (especially when RTC which is often a deciding factor):

Anything made by Charlie Bigham.
Aldi posh pizza, ditto M&S and Waitrose.
Waitrose steak and kidney puddings.
M&S Gastropub range.

I'm sure there are more and there are also some horrors but does anybody have recommendations?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Can you recommend good ready meals?

Postby aero280 » April 15th, 2018, 9:58 am

I haven’t been over to look recently, but the deli shop at Battlers Farm near Radlett sells/sold frozen ready meals from a local source. They came in foil trays with just a sticky white label on the lid, which just had the company name and what was in it. Various sizes and one thing only, not a whole meal. I remember we had a delicious Beef Bourguignon once. It was a dish for four people. But there was a good selection.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 15th, 2018, 10:06 am

There is also the range called 'Cook' ... that I see on sale in my local petrol station. No idea how good they are, but they look the ticket ... could just be clever marketing though ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Suelle » April 15th, 2018, 10:13 am

I like the Pieminister pies - the website shows a much bigger range than my branch of Waitrose stocks:

https://www.pieminister.co.uk/food/pies/

Higgedy vegetarian pies and quiches are quite good too. They make meaty ones too, but I haven't tried any of them.

I'm not sure a pie counts as a ready meal - I usually think of a ready meal as not needing anything extra added, but when I think about it, even if I do buy one, there's often the need for something extra, even if it's just some fresh vegetables. It's rare to get a complete meal in one container.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Meganthemog » April 15th, 2018, 10:24 am

If you like the Charlie Bingham pasta range do try the Aldi version. Same little wooden boxes so probably from same supplier - but a fraction of the cost.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 15th, 2018, 10:25 am

That’s one of the reasons why the Bigham’s meals are so good Suelle.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 15th, 2018, 10:27 am

Meganthemog wrote:If you like the Charlie Bingham pasta range do try the Aldi version. Same little wooden boxes so probably from same supplier - but a fraction of the cost.

Funnily enough we had a spicy sausage pasta bake from there last week. I thought it was very good but he said it was too spicy and gave his portion to the dogs. :o I would buy again if I wasn’t catering for him.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Busybee » April 15th, 2018, 10:47 am

Lidl do, or did, a rather good Indian range of ready meals......but this was 4/5 years ago. They were a favourite at work if someone had forgotten to bring in lunch.

I look at the price and times it by three, then decide it’s much cheaper to cook myself (you can’t take the Yorkshire out of the girl) but if I only had to cater for one I might be more inclined to try them out. The Charlie Bingham ones do look nice.....

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Suelle » April 15th, 2018, 10:52 am

Pepper Pig wrote:That’s one of the reasons why the Bigham’s meals are so good Suelle.

My Waitrose branch doesn't stock many single portions in that range - and they are relatively expensive compared to Waitrose own brand - even RTC! ;)
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Pepper Pig » April 15th, 2018, 10:56 am

They are very expensive and I assume that’s why they’re a lot better than Waitrose own. Both our Tesco and Sainsbury’s also sell them now.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 15th, 2018, 11:15 am

Some of the M&S 'count on us' range are nice. Both the meat and veggi moussaka are jolly good for example. I also like their standard Chicken Kievs (I prefer the standard ones to the Gastropub version).
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » April 15th, 2018, 11:42 am

Why is it that all ready meals have that same characteristic 'sweet' smell with the exception of the Charlie Bingham ones? I wonder if it is some sort of preservative. My late MIL used to rely on M&S meals but they all had the same smell.
I like the M&S Chicken Kievs but I don't think of them as a ready meal - I consider those to be something that doesn't need an accompaniment.
PP the CB macaroni cheese is absolutely gorgeous - not bland but maybe OH would like it as it isn't spicy.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 15th, 2018, 11:54 am

Yes he likes that one and loves the fish pie MM. Not so keen on the moussaka or the curries but I think they’re really good.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 15th, 2018, 11:55 am

Meganthemog wrote:I like the M&S Chicken Kievs but I don't think of them as a ready meal - I consider those to be something that doesn't need an accompaniment.

Fair point. In which case, same applies to the 'Count on Us' ones (I usually make a big salad or cook some veg to go with them).

PP, have you tried Wiltshire Farm Foods talking of 'complete' instant meals? My father loved them.
Last edited by Seatallan on April 15th, 2018, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » April 15th, 2018, 11:55 am

Higgidy quiches are nice and M&S's curries are very tasty. I tried the Wicked vegan pizzas , very nice.

I wouldn't class it as a ready meal, but to open it up slightly to include general convenient foods, tescos do a frozen risotto mix,which is good in a rush
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 15th, 2018, 12:00 pm

When I discovered Lidl a few months back I wasn't ever unimpressed by theirs, plus cheap, cheap, cheap, a bit small but pile them up veg, bingo!

I also confess to quite enjoying a Sainsbury's value ready meal in the chilled. Fish pie rather nice with loads of peas or whatever.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 15th, 2018, 12:03 pm

Suelle wrote:Higgedy vegetarian pies and quiches are quite good too. They make meaty ones too, but I haven't tried any of them.

Interested that a baker and someone else recommend Higgedy pies. I've had two and thought the pastry was indefensible on both occasions

I haven't a lot of experience with ready meals, and the trouble is they come and go - Morrison's did a range by named chefs that was superb (best shepherd's pie ever) but they seem to have disappeared, I'll have a look
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby aero280 » April 15th, 2018, 12:23 pm

It seems that it is the "Cook" range of ready meals that they stock at Battlers Green Farm, but I'm sure there is a lot more. There was a large frozen food section.

http://www.battlersgreenfarm.co.uk/farm-shop/

it's only 5 minutes along the road from Costco in Watford.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Pepper Pig » April 15th, 2018, 1:46 pm

I'll check it out next time I go to Costco, probably Thursday. Thanks Aero.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 15th, 2018, 2:24 pm

Cook is a chain. They are not particularly cheap but very respectable in nice parts of the Home Counties and beyond. I have a friend whose sister is a clean, tidy and fussy kind of person, she and her husband decided they didn't want to mess up the kitchen of their nice Surrey flat once they'd retired and almost live on Cook items, even using them for dinner parties etc. https://www.cookfood.net/shops/

I do eat ready meals sometimes when I have a busy work week. I like Sainsburys and Waitrose and dislike M&S. I have not tried other makes. I agree too that Wiltshire Farm Foods are worth a try, I had some quite edible meals of theirs with MIL (as their main market is the elderly there are quite a few 'good plain food' choices for those not so keen on heat or spice).

Just steer clear of Slimming World Ready meals!! :sprout: :sprout:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 15th, 2018, 2:32 pm

OH isn’t doing SW thank goodness and I won’t touch them having sampled about 3. Our local Iceland is open today between 5 and 6 for SW members only. :o That’s a new one on me!

Please don’t think I have completely stopped cooking, I haven’t!
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 15th, 2018, 3:34 pm

I'm of absolutely no help at all , but, if for any reason we can't, don't feel like cooking, we pick up something from our butcher/traiteur. I think it is much easier for us to cope with such problems and for that I am so very thankful.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby KC2 » April 16th, 2018, 12:35 pm

Hi, I'm afraid I haven't read the whole thread but saw the subject and thought I'd mention the excellent Waitrose £10 offer for Indian food - 2 sides, 2 mains and a rice. We had samosas(4), onion bhajis (6), vegetable kofta and lamb rogan josh with spinach and carrot pilau rice last night and it fed 3 of us. I had made a bit of extra basmati rice (what they call one portion on the packet which is 75g) and had picked up 6 mini naans half price in Tesco. We had a feast. Still a bit of plain rice and 3 naans left, which are now in the freezer. Altogether a great and very tasty meal!
KC2
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 16th, 2018, 2:27 pm

Pepper Pig wrote: Our local Iceland is open today between 5 and 6 for SW members only. :o That’s a new one on me!

Good grief! There's a new out of town store called 'Food Warehouse' opening here soon which looks interesting. When you read the (very) small print it is Iceland. I am wondering why they don't advertise it as such. Maybe they'll have 'special evenings' too :lol: :lol: .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 16th, 2018, 3:08 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Good grief! There's a new out of town store called 'Food Warehouse' opening here soon which looks interesting. When you read the (very) small print it is Iceland. I am wondering why they don't advertise it as such. Maybe they'll have 'special evenings' too .

Their website does call it "Food Warehouse by Iceland"
Seems however mostly to be bulk packs
I see they have a new store at Tottenham Hale, I wondered what was going into that unit, it's been empty a while, but I noticed it being refurbished recently
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » April 16th, 2018, 8:07 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Cook is a chain. They are not particularly cheap but very respectable in nice parts of the Home Counties and beyond. I have a friend whose sister is a clean, tidy and fussy kind of person, she and her husband decided they didn't want to mess up the kitchen of their nice Surrey flat once they'd retired and almost live on Cook items, even using them for dinner parties etc. https://www.cookfood.net/shops/

We’ve used Cook a few times...usually as an alternative to a take away. Their chicken, leek and ham pie is really very good.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 17th, 2018, 5:28 am

Ready Meals do not exist in Cyprus except for those imported for we Brits. I buy some Tesco imports, notably their chicken range, Kievs and Cheese and Bacon, they always require vegetables so do they count as ready meals?

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 17th, 2018, 12:49 pm

My experience is limited to vegetarian things, and I pretty much gave up on most of the ones that come in plastic trays as a complete meal - I'd rather buy a ready made side dish or ingredients, such as potatoes parmentier, and embellish it (egg cracked into a gap[ in them and baked, cheese, herbs etc.) The only obvious ready meal I buy (apart from pizza which any brand or type of which, almost can be rendered nice if sufficiently embellished) is cauliflower cheese - Sainsbury's, M&S or Waitrose, ideally. They are ok... although I still always add things - mustard, garlic seasoning, smoked paprika etc. Sometimes a little cheese, but I don't think these brands usually need it. They need a lot more cooking imo than the instructions though.

Not sure if this counts, but I am a slightly shamefaced fan of Amy's Kitchen vegetarian chilli (in tins.)

I do find ready meals are a bit tasteless primarily because they are not very salty. I assume they reduce the salt to co[ly with health things, but because need it to bring out the processed out flavours. Or maybe it's just my aging tastebuds.

There is a Cook near me in Dulwich but not been tempted by anything they have on offer, especially not at the price.

Had some very nice 'special' things from M&S (ordered) for Christmas. Ocado do some quite nice little individual serving potato gratins.
I quite like some of the Higgidy littel quiches.

Ready meals (or veggie ones) seem to be on the increase in France (I suspect meat and fish ones have been around for ages.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Amber » April 17th, 2018, 9:35 pm

Two things.
One, I don’t suppose it will help you, but we have a local business that sells fresh meals for you to freeze at home. You can take your own dish so you get the portion size to suit. Is there anything like that near you?
Two. A bit more tricky. When my mum was ‘out of sorts’ with dementia, when she wanted her tea, she wanted it NOW!! Some M&S frozen ready meals, and, I think, all Wiltshire Farm Foods can be cooked from frozen, without either deciding on your tea first thing in the morning (sometimes difficult with dementia sufferers), or having to defrost them in the microwave first.

Higgedy pies don’t do it for me. :(
Amber
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 18th, 2018, 7:34 am

Amber wrote:Two things.
Two. A bit more tricky. When my mum was ‘out of sorts’ with dementia, when she wanted her tea, she wanted it NOW!!
(

This is exactly why I want recommendations for ready meals. He has been like this for some time and I need to have something on hand that can be rustled up in minutes. He refuses to eat after 6 pm which often interferes with my life too. Also , as mentioned before, he is and always has been a very fussy eater but as he's got older his selection has become much narrower. No eggs, no beans or legumes, no mushrooms or any foreign or new-fangled veg, no curries, chillies or anything spicy. No milky things other than cheese sauces which he adores. Hates yogurt.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 18th, 2018, 10:09 am

Sounds to me as if Wiltshire meals would be perfect ... such a huge range catering for all sorts of tastes, from the exotic to sliced roast meat in gravy and plain stews, casseroles, liver and bacon with mash and peas or broccoli ... suited my very conservative-eating parents down to a 'T'' (or is it 'tee' :? ) and could be cooked from frozen either in the ordinary oven or microwave. They loved getting the brochure out and choosing their order.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Suelle » April 18th, 2018, 10:45 am

I saw an advert recently for something like Wiltshire meals, but with the added benefit(??) of the meals being stored at room temperature.

I think it was an insert in something like the National Trust magazine, or one of the catalogues I get sent, because I can't find it now, and can't remember the name of the company either. I know that's not much help but might be worth looking out for if freezer space is an issue.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Amber » April 18th, 2018, 8:22 pm

Sorry, just remembered a third thing. If he’s not keen on strong or foreign flavours, and/or has a small appetite, you might want to try some of the children’s ready meals. Possibly use two portions per serving?
Amber
Registered

Postby Janet » April 19th, 2018, 8:53 am

Suelle wrote:I saw an advert recently for something like Wiltshire meals, but with the added benefit(??) of the meals being stored at room temperature.

I think it was an insert in something like the National Trust magazine, or one of the catalogues I get sent, because I can't find it now, and can't remember the name of the company either. I know that's not much help but might be worth looking out for if freezer space is an issue.

This sounds like http://www.parsleybox.com

They are smaller portion sizes 270g and don't require refrigeration.

Sainsbury's do smaller portion chilled ready meals at £1.50. The range includes cottage pie, shepherds pie, liver bacon & mash, bangers & mash, mac cheese, lasagne and they can be microwaved from frozen.

HTH

Janet
Janet
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 19th, 2018, 12:32 pm

Nothing wrong with his appetite though just that he's cut out lunch. My mum (89) always orders children's portions when she eats out though.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Suelle » April 19th, 2018, 12:45 pm

Thanks, Janet - that's probably the one I saw - couldn't find it by using the likeliest search phrases.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Pepper Pig » April 19th, 2018, 12:55 pm

Thanks Janet. I've ordered him a catalogue.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Return to The Kitchen