Favourite low fat cheeses

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Favourite low fat cheeses

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 7th, 2018, 9:55 pm

On my fortnightly shopping list I have a permanent fixture - a small block of strong Cheddar. This on the orders of my GP when first diagnosed with Osteopenia. I have been on vitamin and mineral supplements and my blood tests have shown a marked improvement, so now I still want to include cheese but without the fat as I would lime to shift a few pounds.

I have been buying low fat cream cheese of no specific brand, and am quite partial to cottage cheese, both good on Ryvita or in a sandwich with loads of salad.

Are there any low fat cheeses that you could recommend? I understand Edam is low fat, and I do adore it, but if I buy it, it only lasts five minutes and it's gone.

Any tips on the subject of cheese and nutrients obtained from full fat versus low fat would be gratefully appreciated.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Favourite low fat cheeses

Postby earthmaiden » May 8th, 2018, 1:48 am

I think that like skimmed milk, the nutritional value other than fat, stays similar. I often buy reduced fat cheddar, I shop mostly in Sainsbury's and Waitrose and both stores have that. If you read the labels carefully it says by what % the fat has been reduced and some are quite low, there is usually a choice. I find the own brand ones better for cooking than makes such as Weight watchers and other brands like that. The big test is the way it melts if you try making cheese on toast or a topping where you want cheese to melt. Some do it better than others. Look at the fat content on labels of your favourite cheeses and you will soon get a feel of what might be acceptable.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 8th, 2018, 6:34 am

I've not bought reduced fat versions of hard cheese fore a while. The texture wasn't quite right. I'd rather eat less of normal fat varieties. I take it it's for the calcium, Tezza? And it's primarily for having in a sandwich (so eating a yoghurt instead won't do.) Ricotta probably won't do either? Actually it might be nice on ryvita.

This site (US I am afraid) compares cheese types with calcium and fat content.
https://www.healthcastle.com/say-cheese ... t-cheeses/

There is a UK one but it's a Daily Mail one so not posting that ;) but you could google it, as it looks useful... :?

Reduced fat mozzarella seems to come out tops for lower fat, lower calories and high calcium. Not the best sandwich cheese but delicious in a salad.

Otherwise it looks like the higher calcium cheeses tend to be the higher fat and calorie ones. Cottage cheese is low calcium. Edam looks like a goer.

Sorry if I am barking up the wrong tree on the nutrition front.

This is interesting but possibly dubious science:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/humanbody/truth ... cium.shtml
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Suelle » May 8th, 2018, 7:26 am

The only low fat cheese I buy is Laughing Cow 'Light with Blue Cheese' triangles - useful for a low calorie snack when spread on a couple of Ryvita crackers. :D They do taste surprisingly good!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » May 8th, 2018, 8:39 am

I tend not to buy the reduced fat cheeses (looking at my waist perhaps I should) asthe point of cheese is surely that it tastes nice? I do buy lower fat cream cheese, which is actually nicer IMO on anything hot, like a jacket spud or pasta as full fat melts to grease
Low fat Greek style salad cheese (i.e. fake feta) can also be very good, the tanginess survives in the low fat version
However, some cheeses are naturally lower in fat, such as all kinds of mozzarella for example, including the grated stuff which does melt beautifully
I like the blue cheese triangles but seldom find them
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 8th, 2018, 10:31 am

I like the reduced fat cheeses. M&S lighter Mozzarella is really good I think, and I often buy the Sainsbury reduced fat 'salad' cheese (basically, Feta). Sainsbury also do a very nice (to my mind) low fat cheese spread with garlic and herbs. The other one I usually have a supply of is the M&S Bavarian cheese because like Edam, it's naturally low in fat. It comes in slices and I freeze them two at a time. Nice in baked spuds, omelettes, etc.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 8th, 2018, 10:32 am

Thank you for the comments and the useful links.

I do eat cheese and drink milk, and take supplements, for the calcium, but with cheese (not so much milk) once I start I can't stop. So this could be a dangerous habit that could undo the good I'm doing in other areas in order to lose a bit of weight.

I don't know why but I just hadn't thought of mozzarella as low fat! That is definitely going on my shopping list for tomorrow.

I don't so much use cheese in cooking, although I do like to add a bit to shop bought frozen garlic bread. I rather eat it in sandwiches, on Ryvita, grated on a jacket potato. Mozzarella would do for the spud and garlic bread, cream / cottage cheese for sandwiches / crackers.

I'm going to write the other suggestions on my shopping list and make sure I take my reading glasses with me so I can have a good look at labels. :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 8th, 2018, 10:33 am

Oooh, and I love cottage cheese with prawns! Again, M&S do a very nice version. Tesco used to do one with salmon and cucumber and it was divine but they stopped doing it for some reason.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 8th, 2018, 11:46 am

I like the sound of cottage cheese with prawns! I'm going to Sainsbury's tomorrow so will see what different varieties they have there!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 8th, 2018, 1:55 pm

My Mum used to mix caraway into plain cottage cheese, at the time I thought it 'soapy' but love it now. :chops:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 8th, 2018, 2:01 pm

The two that come to mind first are Parmesan and Feta. Good Parmesan is not just for grating but it isn't nearly as good as it can be when fresh and not enclosed in a plastic vac pack. I was told in Italy they wean babies onto parmesan and it is ecellent invalid food. :tu:

Our GP is insistant that if wishing to reduce fat, ewes milk and goats milk cheeses are preferable. The harder cheeses from these milks are the best. I'm afraid I am very out of touch as to the avaialbility of such things in the UK.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 8th, 2018, 3:29 pm

I keep looking out for goat's cheese on deli's that I see when out and about so that I can ask for a taste before I buy, but it always seems to be ready packaged. I have purchased my first block of parmesan recently, half for the fridge, half for the freezer, and am enjoying the strong flavour you get from using very little. This will last me ages!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 8th, 2018, 6:22 pm

Fresh Parmesan doesn't need to be put in the freezer. It keeps for ages, wrapped in foil in the fridge.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 8th, 2018, 7:13 pm

I thought I'd play safe by freezing the parmesan since I lost such a lot of cheese when my fridge freezer defrosted a couple of weeks ago. It put the frighteners up me! :oops: It's in there now so I'll leave that bit there as I have hardly used any of the other half since I bought it, but thanks for the foil tip, will keep that for future. :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 8th, 2018, 9:44 pm

Tezza, goats cheese can vary enormously. Sometimes it is really 'goaty' but can be quite mild. Not everyone is fond of the stronger tasting stuff so if you taste that first and don't like it much, don't dismiss goats cheese for good! Look out for farmer's markets for weekend browsing (perhaps somwhere you can get to on the bus) - they often have it.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Amber » May 8th, 2018, 11:30 pm

I buy low fat halloumi from Sainsburys. Delicious fried à la Nigella :) .
Amber
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 9th, 2018, 6:31 am

Thanks both. I'll start off with a mild goat's cheese. I'm yet to find out what 'goaty' means and I'm not sure I want to! So will start off gently and hopefully non goaty! I also am yet to try halloumi, although I have cooked with it. I noticed in Sainsbury's cafe recently they have halloumi in some form on the menu. I also have never tried paneer. I'm not sure that's low fat though! I have added feta to my list as I have had that before and do enjoy the saltiness and the tang.

I was having a clear out of a load of baking and pickle making equipment yesterday and found a rather handy basket which I have decided to use to keep all my cheeses in one place in my fridge. I love a bit of organisation. :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » May 9th, 2018, 6:53 am

I was going to suggest the low fat halloumi, too.
scullion
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 9th, 2018, 6:24 pm

Goat's cheese update! I tried a bit on the deli. I think I now know what goaty means. :sprout: Not my cup of tea. Worse thing was I left my water bottle in the car so couldn't even quickly wash the taste out of my mouth.

I took home with me pre-packaged low fat plain cream cheese, mozzarella and feta. For quite a large store they didn't really have much in the way of cheeses flavoured with things. Better luck next time.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 10th, 2018, 3:08 am

:lol: remember what I said Tessa - if ever you come across a mild one it doesn't have the 'cow shed' taste!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 10th, 2018, 6:06 am

I buy a pyramid shaped one (with the top chopped off) in France, it is the only one I like. I do keep trying English ones on the odd occasion but still struggle. I have half a small log in the fridge and have to eek it out with celery.

It was explained to me that (most) goats cheese tastes that way because the female goats graze on the grass that the males have 'been' on and it's their wee that gives the strong 'cowshed' taste to the cheese.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 10th, 2018, 6:49 am

Oh that's gross Zosh! I am glad I didn't know that before I put that stuff in my mouth! :sprout: I did remember the tip EM. They only had one goat's cheese on the deli so there was no choice! I just dived in on the one that they had. So glad I didn't buy.

On Top Of The Shop last night I was watching and listening to goaty lady with new found curiosity and think she said her cheese was more mature and therefore more interesting, something like that. I shouted at the screen 'More goaty you mean!'
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 10th, 2018, 8:20 am

Tezza- if you can find it, try Capricorn which is made in England it doesn't seem at all goaty to me.

I wish I could bring you some of my neighbour's goat cheese. It goes from fresh and creamy to hard and very pungent so you can try the cheese in all stages of ripeness and decide which suits you. I have to confess to a real love of smelly cheeses much to our freind kai's disgust. He won't eat any cheese at all.

PS It is usual here to serve a preserve of some sort with cheese. Cherry confit with ewes milk, especially hard cheeses. Fig with goats and quince jelly or paste with cow.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 10th, 2018, 8:36 am

Zosherooney wrote:It was explained to me that (most) goats cheese tastes that way because the female goats graze on the grass that the males have 'been' on and it's their wee that gives the strong 'cowshed' taste to the cheese.

Myth ... goats are browsers not grazers so males weeing on grass which is then eaten by the females just doesn't come into it.

Properly kept dairy goats do not produce a strong 'goaty' flavoured milk. Males are kept separately from females.

A goaty flavour can be encouraged to develop in the milk if it is not cooled immediately after milking and it will produce a 'goaty' cheese which some people like. Also some breeds of goat produce a stronger flavoured milk than others. Flavour also depends on the type of herbage the goats are eating that day ... as is also the case with cow's milk.

When I kept a herd of dairy goats we cooled any milk we intended for drinking immediately after milking, and it tasted virtually the same as cows' milk. People used to ask me why I didn't use goat milk in the tea or coffee I'd given them ... the answer was that I did :lol:

For cheese making the milk was allowed to stand to 'develop' for various periods of time, depending on which cheese I was making that week.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 10th, 2018, 9:19 am

It does seem to be one of those Marmite things doesn't it? My deceased friend just couldn't eat goats cheese in any shape or form even the very mild kind. It used to drive her bonkers because she was a vegetarian and it seemed to be ubiquitous when she ate out anywhere. I adore it.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby scullion » May 10th, 2018, 10:04 am

i think i've said before that i know very few vegetarians who like goats cheese but that is often the only option when eating out (i think meat eaters think it's nice) - i usually ask for an alternative cheese in the dish.
mine produced very 'ungoaty' milk until the visit to the billy. after that i could taste it even if others couldn't.
there is a reason why a roll of soft goat's cheese is called a 'crotte'!
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 10th, 2018, 10:34 am

The goat (Capricorn in the zodiac) produces short chain fatty acids, not found in sheep's and cows milk , particularly caproic acid. There are a number of related odourous chemicals in the milk and as these convert from one to another, as Suffolk says the goatiness may be increased by the way the milk is processed. I think breed may also play a part

My Dad always said apples with cow milk cheese, grapes with goat, and there's something in that.

Chavroux, a soft French goat milk cheese is very mild and a good place to start. Waitrose do a look-alike own brand too (same kind of tub, but green)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Bubbles » May 10th, 2018, 11:18 am

I really do no like the smell or taste of goats cheese in its raw state. I do however like it grilled and often serve it on toasted French bread eg boule with frisée, drizzle of evoo, and maybe a fig or apricot chutney. It really changes the taste for the better and loses that strong goaty taste.
Bubbles
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 10th, 2018, 11:47 am

I had a lovely starter in, of all places, an airpot hotel
Grilled goats cheese, as you say, but instead of the normal toast apple
I have reproduced it. Peel core and halve apples, preferably firm Braeburn oor similar, and drop into lemon juice and water. When ready to serve, dry, brush with butter (preferably clarified) and grill until warm and golden, only takes a very short time. Turn curved side down, top with thick slices of the cheese, and grill until that's hot too
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 10th, 2018, 11:56 am

Hmmm, I like goat's cheese and the 'goaty' smell has never put me off. (I also like Marmite ;) :lol: ) At the moment I have some Ewe's cheese in the fridge that I found rtc the other week. :chops:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 10th, 2018, 12:19 pm

scullion wrote:i think i've said before that i know very few vegetarians who like goats cheese but that is often the only option when eating out (i think meat eaters think it's nice) - i usually ask for an alternative cheese in the dish.
mine produced very 'ungoaty' milk until the visit to the billy. after that i could taste it even if others couldn't.
there is a reason why a roll of soft goat's cheese is called a 'crotte'!

The French for a dropping. Crottes are more usually small hard cheeses. Or Crottins - little droppings :lol: :lol:

I love grilled goats cheese on a slice of beetroot with a splash of balsamic thereon and a drizzle of Olive oli and a sprig of fresh thyme on the cheese
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 10th, 2018, 12:30 pm

I would be interested in experiencing the taste of cooked goat's cheese in comparison to what I had yesterday. I think that seeing it for so many years on menus as a veggie option when I was vegan had put me off ordering it when out now that I do eat cheese.

I just remembered an ex of mine used to love goat's cheese. I'd cook it for him inside a large hollowed out crusty roll which had been rubbed with garlic, sprinkled with thyme leaves, wrapped in foil and baked. I might recreate that for myself soon.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Bubbles » May 10th, 2018, 12:36 pm

StokeySue wrote:I had a lovely starter in, of all places, an airpot hotel
Grilled goats cheese, as you say, but instead of the normal toast apple
I have reproduced it. Peel core and halve apples, preferably firm Braeburn oor similar, and drop into lemon juice and water. When ready to serve, dry, brush with butter (preferably clarified) and grill until warm and golden, only takes a very short time. Turn curved side down, top with thick slices of the cheese, and grill until that's hot too

Mm that sounds healthier than my version above so will give that a go as trying to cut down on carbs.may also try with pears?
Bubbles
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 10th, 2018, 1:31 pm

Pears coukd well work
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » May 10th, 2018, 1:37 pm

The Lidl own brand goats cheese log is excellent, not sure how high/low fat it is http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/lidl-pri ... 0CriPqkGJg

It's really good value too at £1.69 as it's a lot larger than other brands. It isn't goaty at all as we don't really like the very strong flavoured ones either.

Capricorn is lovely, but quite pricey unless it's on offer!

There's a nice hard goats cheese that I've got in M & S and Waitrose, maybe St Helen's? Can't remember.

Edited to say that it's Inglewhite, just found it at Tesco's :) http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-pr ... jzxUjJPAmw
KC2
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 10th, 2018, 2:01 pm

That's the badger Sue ! Not at all goaty !

Rats, I have beetroot and balsamic, so may well have that tomorrow lunchtime.

Suffs, I will bow to your higher knowledge..... :kneel: :lol:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 10th, 2018, 5:12 pm

Zosherooney wrote:Suffs, I will bow to your higher knowledge.....

From the vantage point of having milked many goats ... lower rather than higher I think :lol:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Suelle » May 10th, 2018, 5:52 pm

Snofrisk goat cheese, available in Waitrose, doesn't taste goaty - in fact it doesn't taste of anything - not even cheese. :lol:

A complete waste of money. We only bought it once!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 11th, 2018, 6:16 am

I'll steer clear of Snofrisk then. Seems pointless!

Ina Garten made an interesting looking whipped feta as a topping for crostini this morning. It was a blend of feta and cream cheese flavoured with basil and a splash of lemon, seasoning. She spread it on the toast and topped it with cherry tomatoes. I thought that sounded quite nice.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » May 11th, 2018, 7:44 am

I find that people who like goat's cheese often have a different estimation from me as to how goaty it is. People who don't like goatiness can detect it and dislike it in 'mild' cheeses. I have never thought they remind me of cow sheds, only goats. I love sheep cheese and happily eat feta, which can contain goat milk. Friends refer to me as a closet vegetarian, but whilst I often eat vegetarian food, they are being ironic.

If you like the flavour of something it can be very difficult to understand those that don't. In some cases we taste things differently, such as those for whom coriander is soapy, or Sue's experience with tarragon. Other things such as garlic, chillies, I think people experience the same taste, but have different opinions about them.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 11th, 2018, 9:10 am

Badger's mate wrote:coriander is soapy,

Like Delia Smith if I recall correctly.

It's odd isn't it? Who was it who said recently that celery tasted a bit like gin to them? It does to me too but Mr S thinks I'm bonkers. :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Catherine » May 11th, 2018, 5:10 pm

Seatallan wrote:It's odd isn't it? Who was it who said recently that celery tasted a bit like gin to them? It does to me too but Mr S thinks I'm bonkers.

Well it's a hell of a lot cheaper :lol:
Catherine
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 11th, 2018, 6:44 pm

Catherine wrote:
Seatallan wrote:It's odd isn't it? Who was it who said recently that celery tasted a bit like gin to them? It does to me too but Mr S thinks I'm bonkers.

Well it's a hell of a lot cheaper :lol:

I don't think celery tastes of anything much, but it's a good job it doesn't have the same effect as gin or I'd be floored daily. :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 11th, 2018, 7:59 pm

Wow Tessa! To me, the taste of celery is quite overpowering! Different people's reactions vary so much - something to do with chemical make up I believe as celery, sprouts and coriander (and goat cheese!) certainly taste different to different people.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 11th, 2018, 9:10 pm

It's an interesting subject isn't it? I still remember the first time I tasted fresh coriander in a noodle dish I created at home August 1996, fell in love with it immediately and can never understand some describing it as soapy! My first olives were tasted as a teenager. I almost threw up! I remember thinking they tasted like medicine. Around the same time as the coriander I tried them again and fell in love with those too and couldn't understand how I ever thought they tasted of medicine. Blue cheese, however, is something that no matter how many times I try I cannot abide. So I seem to have a little stumbling block concerning cheese, maybe!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 12th, 2018, 12:26 am

The coriander = soapy thing is supposed to be mainly genetic I believe; mmy mum was anti-coriander but my dad and I never had a problem

Purely personal preference (I think) is my hatred of turnips. The extent to which they taste bitter is, I beleive, quite variable. They don't taste bitter to me but I still can't comprehend how a human might consider them edible. :sprout: :sprout: :sprout: Just really nasty, and, to me, obviously not food
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 12th, 2018, 1:02 pm

Didn't Ian hate turnips too? I love them. Mr R can't abide globe artichokes and I think I have read that they too have a taste affected by genetics.

Incidentally there was an interesting discussion about goats' cheeses on Kitchen Cabinet this morning.

I bought a perfect banon cheese this morning - that's the goat one made locally and wrapped in marc soaked chesnut leaves. It's at its best when just about to do a runner when you open it up!

https://www.cheese.com/banon/
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 12th, 2018, 1:14 pm

Ratatouille wrote:Didn't Ian hate turnips too? I love them.

Swede for him
I love swede, preferably with a little chopped watercress stirred through - pretty and tasty
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 12th, 2018, 2:17 pm

I love swede too, mashed with butter and lots of black pepper. Lovely with roast pork.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby KC2 » May 12th, 2018, 4:26 pm

Talking of Ian, how is he? I trust /hope they're enjoying their retirement from the B & B business.
KC2
Registered

Next

Return to The Kitchen