tomato blight (Again?! :o )

Out by the shed, near the chicken coop. The place everyone hangs out to discuss the various edibles they raise in their gardens/allotments.

tomato blight (Again?! :o )

Postby Herbidacious » June 16th, 2018, 7:56 pm

I just got back from my mother's and noticed this spot on one of my tomato plants. I had these last year, and had retrospectively diagnosed them a the beginning of the blight. But I don't know for sure. I have some blight resistant varieties, but this is on Gardener's Delight plant. Looking back through this thread topic, I noticed the posts on the 23rd June last year.

Not sure I could stand an other repeat of last year's heartache.

IMG_6697.JPG
Herbidacious
Registered

Re: tomato blight (Again?! :o )

Postby liketocook » June 16th, 2018, 8:21 pm

I'm not sure it's blight, my experience is that there are blotches on the stems and the leaves look a bit sad, these look like otherwise healthy leaves. I'd isolate the plant(s), strip most of the leaves off, give it a good feed and see what happens. Fingers crossed :hug:
liketocook
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 16th, 2018, 8:32 pm

Someone on the Gardner's World site posted a similar pic and the response was tomato leaf mould.

I think I will take it out of it's Quadgrow pot, disinfect the pot, and put the plant in my covered lean to. Offending leaf already disposed of.

Some leaves on some plants are curling a bit (but not brown), but I had thought/hoped this might be all the wind. These are also, I think (will check tomorrow) the blight resistant plants.

Thanks ltc. Hoping the green spots and last year's blight were a coincidence.

Clearly I need a greenhouse...! Not sure it's an option though. The only spot I could have one is where my raised beds are, and it's surrounded by trees. My husband would not like it...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby liketocook » June 16th, 2018, 8:44 pm

Sounds like a sensible plan, hopefully it's something and nothing. :)
PS- I never thought I had room for a greenhouse either until I inherited my neighbour's who was unfortunately dying of cancer and wanted me to have it. My (now) ex-hubby wasn't impressed either but hey ho he liked the results and in my case who needs a whirlygig!!
liketocook
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 16th, 2018, 8:53 pm

Hmm the problem is that a large part of our garden is prone to flooding. The bit where the raised beds are is ok, but as I said there's an apple tree, and also a large hedge behind it which would be hard to prune if there were a greenhouse there. I can't really put one in the top half of the garden...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby liketocook » June 16th, 2018, 9:08 pm

Herbidacious wrote:Hmm the problem is that a large part of our garden is prone to flooding. The bit where the raised beds are is ok, but as I said there's an apple tree, and also a large hedge behind it which would be hard to prune if there were a greenhouse there. I can't really put one in the top half of the garden...

Yes you can ..... ;) I'm fairly sure it's not illegal :lol:
liketocook
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 18th, 2018, 7:31 pm

Sorry to hear of your plight (blight) ;)

My GH crop are growing at an alarming rate this year, I did use Westland in the compost and I have cut back on the watering a tad, they seem to be liking it. I think the fruits will be setting soon.

Also picking S'berries - well a few. Courgettes have an upturned plastic bottle with the bottom cut off stuck in the earth at the base of the stem for watering. Saves all the water running away. This way the water goes straight to the roots.

French beans are setting, my favourite veg to grow. :chops:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » June 18th, 2018, 7:33 pm

i've had a pea.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 18th, 2018, 8:04 pm

scullion wrote:i've had a pea.

:D

I shall be harvesting some tomorrow. I have been eating the odd pod's worth raw.

Ate first mangetout tonight (just the one) picked a bowl of redcurrants, and have had quite a few odd raspberries (Joan J) and strawberries. Excited to see that a Glen Coe raspberry is ripening. Unless the birds get 'em I may be making jam. Mind you I am away for 5 days at the end of next week... I hope my potted courgettes, cucumbers etc survive...

I have decided it's not going to be blight. So there. Not isolating either as quite a few have the spots. Looking at some old photos, my tomatoes have been quite manky in the past and produced fruit. I hope I don't rue my (faux) over confidence. Not a lot I can do about it I suppose, except mentally prepare for for solanacic (? :D ) catastrophe.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » July 11th, 2018, 10:09 pm

i have read, recently, that a weak solution of baking powder/bicarb of soda sprayed on the infected leaves can stop blight getting a hold - haven't had to try it out yet.
scullion
Registered

Return to The Kitchen Garden