Chatterbox LXXXII - Saoirse

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXII - Saoirse

Postby cyprusmoira » July 11th, 2018, 8:16 am

Thanks for the non supporters chant, Tezza. Personally I shall be watching next door's artificial grass grow :rolleyes: Andreas has just hosed it down and dried it with the leaf blower.

What would have happened if Andy Murray had reached the Wimbledon Men's Final on Sunday afternoon? It would have been mayhem in some households

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 11th, 2018, 8:20 am

For those who enjoyed the RAF 100 fly past, they have released a beautiful animation showing the routes of all the planes, I've given it its own thread
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16434
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 11th, 2018, 9:01 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

Not sure how that story squares with his reported apology to their parents :? but however the incident started I think that his behaviour has been remarkable and worthy of the highest praise ... a hero indeed. :kneel:

I was busy inventing a sectional inflatable tube for such rescues ... but it seems that Elon Musk had the same idea ... I'm glad I told OH about my idea before EM's was publicised. ;)

Tennis later this morning ... then I have some lovely pork chops, fresh garlic and fennel to do something with.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 11th, 2018, 9:35 am

We'll probably never understand the whole story but at least it is over, so sad that a life was lost. If it results in a clever new rescue device, so much the better!

I'm all packed with clothes for every eventuality except snow. I was going to take my fan to install in the bedroom but think it would be a bit rude to my host. It's hotting up here now and the sky is cloudless. I drenched the garden last night and my neighbour loves to give my tomatoes a sneaky water (he's retired and bored and likes watching the tomatoes grow) so they'll be alright!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 11th, 2018, 9:40 am

cyprusmoira wrote:What would have happened if Andy Murray had reached the Wimbledon Men's Final on Sunday afternoon?

Absolutely. Mr S and I wondered about that and came to the conclusion that one or other of the events would have to be rescheduled (like that bit in 'Chariots of Fire' when Eric Liddell refuses to run on a Sunday) :) .
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » July 11th, 2018, 9:49 am

Morning All

EM, I wouldnt worry about the fan today, in fact you may want to pack a cardi or two, the north sea mist has rolled in (again). We are about if you get time..... :hug:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby Gruney » July 11th, 2018, 11:09 am

suffolk wrote:Not sure how that story squares with his reported apology to their parents but however the incident started I think that his behaviour has been remarkable and worthy of the highest praise ... a hero indeed.

The story put out by an on the spot BBC reporter, is that it was one of the lads' 16th birthday, and it is a local tradition to go into that cave on your 16th. He took them all in, as a birthday treat. Then it rained, and their way out was blocked. As the water was rising, he led them further into the system to find some safe ground - this he achieved.

Maybe his apology was down to extreme politeness?
Gruney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 11th, 2018, 11:25 am

I think the apology is for taking them further in, rather than getting them out

This is the most detailed credible version I have seen

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/world/thai-cave-rescue-how-the-cave-nightmare-began-ng-b88889337z
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 11th, 2018, 11:37 am

Gruney ... very likely :)

That does sound very credible Sue. Thanks for sharing.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 11th, 2018, 12:21 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave: .

It took twice as long as usual to get into town today. We wondered if it was because everyone was hung-over from last night's celebrations. It turned out that they had decided to widen the main road in and there fore reduced the traffic to one way only with traffic lights. So sensible in the middle of the tourits season on the busiest week of the year - it's the 14th on Saturday :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think the important thing about the cave rescue is that it is an example of how people from everywhere can get together, co-operate and really care. Would that it was continue into the Trump visit, the Brexit fiasco and the Syrian problems. To mention a few.

Our young neighbour, a fellow football fan, proudly showed me a St George's flag I gave him a few years ago which he now has on display alongside the French one flying from his window. We've already told him that if it was a matter of National Anthem, France would win hands down.

I had to be just a bit disappointed last night because, very early on - before the start I put a bet (via son) on Belgium to get through to the final at very good odds. I am glad not to be collecting my winnings though.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 11th, 2018, 4:44 pm

Amazing 5 set tennis match :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: ... Federa -v- Anderson ... I won't spoil it for anyone who's recorded it but :kneel: :kneel: :kneel:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » July 11th, 2018, 5:01 pm

I'm in tatters....

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 11th, 2018, 5:10 pm

A bit of garage clearing this morning then too much time spent trying to obtain a BS (not bull s**t) safety certificate for the spot lights I bought in France in January or my sparky won't fit them. They are brand new and IP rated but just bought in France. He is being over cautious and not using 'common sense' and he is annoying me ! We have now e-mailed the company in Hong Kong to see if they can supply us a cert.

Anyway, later on we had a superb lunch at our fave Red Lion @ East Chisenbury, sat out in the garden I gave the chef 4 of my home grown courgettes, his wife (the other chef) snaffled them ! We shared our starters which were Salad of Isle of Wight tomatoes with RL ricotta, pickled shallots & black olive, tagliatelle with fresh peas and butter cream with chives and parmesan. Mains were Roast Cornish hake with crushed RL potatoes, Provençal tomato & gremolata, slow cooked veal, broccoli spinach and gnocchi. We were treated (as it was a Birthday celebration) to a small portion of Summer tomato gazpacho with almonds, cucumber & grilled croutons. It was all perfectly cooked, hot and presented but the gazpacho was definitely the star of the show - totally exquisite ! Mr. Z had the paired wines and I had a pint of fizzy water with fresh lime juice - just lovely.

What we did find amusing was a small coach party of japanese who having eaten inside came out and were in awe/took countless photos of the pubs thatch....

Got home at 4pm and watered and trimmed the wisteria which was starting to grab you by the throat if you walked too close to it !!! He is now gearing up for the game which I will admit to casting an eye over at this stage of the proceedings. We may have some garden courgettes fried in my special batter for supper at half time.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 11th, 2018, 7:03 pm

It is my daughter's birthday today … she doesn't usually share it with anyone, preferring to be on her own, in fact she usually plans a few days away where no-one knows her … Anyway, she stayed over at mine last night, then we went for a Birthday breakfast at our local Toby - right up her street. I then dropped her off at my local Nature reserve where she spent most of the day being joined at lunch time by her current 'man' … I was surprised to see her walking back through the door at 7 pm .. her to stay another night, watch the footie and finish of the cider she bought last night and the 'man' to go home as he hates football ;) All this is a first !!!
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 11th, 2018, 7:07 pm

suffolk wrote:Amazing 5 set tennis match :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: ... Federa -v- Anderson ... I won't spoil it for anyone who's recorded it but :kneel: :kneel: :kneel:

And now Rafa vs. Delpo I joined at 2 sets 1 game 15 points each :o
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 11th, 2018, 7:10 pm

Interesting journey, not the day to be anywhere near Cambridge or Hintingdon traffic-wise :rolleyes:. You're right Chinch, it is decidedly colder here - and where's the sun?

Mine host has put the footie on - am quite surprised. Fingers crossed for a good result!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Suelle » July 11th, 2018, 7:21 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Interesting journey, not the day to be anywhere near Cambridge or Hintingdon traffic-wise :rolleyes:. You're right Chinch, it is decidedly colder here - and where's the sun?

There's never a right day to be on the A14!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Grasshopper » July 11th, 2018, 8:00 pm

StokeySue wrote:For those who enjoyed the RAF 100 fly past, they have released a beautiful animation showing the routes of all the planes, I've given it its own thread

Do you know if the flypast is coming out on dvd? I was out for the day & missed it.
:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 11th, 2018, 8:11 pm

Grasshopper wrote:
StokeySue wrote:For those who enjoyed the RAF 100 fly past, they have released a beautiful animation showing the routes of all the planes, I've given it its own thread

Do you know if the flypast is coming out on dvd? I was out for the day & missed it.
:bounce:
Grasshopper

If you click on Sue's link, you will see alongside it, the BBC coverage … I watched it this morning :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » July 11th, 2018, 9:34 pm

what are rl ricotta and rl potatoes? - really lush? rather lovely? raspberry leaf? or rancid leftovers?

ps. i think my paint has dried.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 11th, 2018, 10:12 pm

I guessed RL meant it was the Red Lion’s own? But not obvious
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » July 11th, 2018, 10:33 pm

i thought it might be but why not just homemade or homegrown? - less ambiguous and i think i would prefer to know the variety of potatoes and how they were grown rather than that they were just homegrown (which could mean that they were grown with every chemical known to gardener).
scullion
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 12th, 2018, 5:26 am

Good Morning Wild ones, another hot one. We have decided to go out for supper, at present we are going to Melanda Beach so Deb can swim, the destination may change.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 12th, 2018, 5:38 am

Good morning Moira and everyone as you arrive :D :mug:
I was woken early by some sort of bird commotion outside ... Possibly sparrow hawk related. I may doze off again ...
OH has his first proper shift this evening ... late night opening. He thinks he'll only want a light supper ... I may make a courgette soup ... I've also got a gammon hock so I'll cook that in the slow cooker ... that'll provide the wherewithal for sandwiches if needed.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » July 12th, 2018, 7:20 am

Good Morning Wild Ones. It's a bit overcast here at the moment but the weather report says sunshine later. I thought we might get some rain last night but it didn't appear. :( I have a real glut of tomatoes, so yesterday I made some passata, tomato relish, tomato tart, tomato and basil sauce and I still have a mountain with more to be picked this morning. OH managed to trip over last night and has a sore knee and elbow and a lovely black eye this morning :rolleyes: he has gone back to bed for an hour. Shopping day again, it soon comes around. So, sort dogs out, shower and shop for me. :tu:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 12th, 2018, 7:55 am

Ouch Ice!!! Hope OH isn't feeling too sore this morning ... tell him to take it steady (or at least a drop more water with it ;) ) :tu:

Think I'd better get to the shops later ... we've run out of milk and I have steri in my :mug:

A crash, clatter and scream from outside a little while ago ... a mum and daughter (about 7 or 8) were cycling past when the neighbour opposite reversed off his parking space into the little girl knocking her off her bike :o No harm done that I could see other than a grazed knee and she was a brave lass ... I think the mum was so relieved she forgot to be very angry ... think neighbour tried to play it down and that's annoyed me a bit ... we're on a cul de sac leading to a primary school ... half past eight in the morning is not a time to reverse out of a driveway without checking every which way ... he's always in such a hurry :rolleyes:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 12th, 2018, 8:19 am

Morning everyone :wave:

At least a dilema was solved for us last night. Unfortunately I think Croatia might be too much for France as well. It was all a bit much after the Feder anderson match in the afternoon interspersed with a exhaustung bike ride through Britanny. :lol: :lol:

We had a much cooler night last night which was a change and the meteo are promising storms early next week.

I'm glad you and your dughter spent a happy day together Pat.

Suffs some people should not be allowed behind the wheel of a car at school times and I include some parents in that. Hope The Artists first day went smoothly.
Sounds like a lovely meal Zosh hope the birthday boy enjoyed it too.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » July 12th, 2018, 8:52 am

Morning all :hug:

It's overcast this morning hopefully the sun will be out later.

I have been discharged from Haematology my bloods are normal :D and I don't have sleep apnoea.

I am at hairdressers having my hair done it is full colour of red with blonde streaks will probably have a trim. I will feel like a new woman in a couple of hours :lol:

Mum is taking me out for lunch today to a cafe round the corner from me. We have been once before but I just hope they are open as they were shut yesterday when I walked past.
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 12th, 2018, 9:05 am

Cheezy_Jazzy wrote:I have been discharged from Haematology my bloods are normal and I don't have sleep apnoea.

I am at hairdressers having my hair done it is full colour of red with blonde streaks will probably have a trim. I will feel like a new woman in a couple of hours

:hi5: :hi5: :hi5:
Great news C_J! Hope the cafe is open

Just pottering on here this morning, as it remains cool, out for an eye appointment this afternoon and WI tonight, I'm teaching them backgammon

Have a good day everone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 12th, 2018, 9:07 am

Morning all,

Very overcast here today again, lovely! Should be nipping into town at some point but must give my hair a quick wash first. I am feeling rather deflated after such a fantastic day of entertaining sport yesterday, which sounds like a bit of a contradiction, but I think it's because the England football team are no longer part of it and we should have done better last night. No shame really, just gutted for the players. I've got an anti virus and ongoing printer problem to sort out this afternoon then another job of cleaning up my pizza stone ready for dinner tonight.

Have fun all!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 12th, 2018, 10:34 am

Cheezy_Jazzy wrote:... I have been discharged from Haematology my bloods are normal :D and I don't have sleep apnoea. ....

:hi5: :tu: :cocktail: :cocktail: Hope you have a lovely lunch.

Back from SM with all sorts of meal options for the next few days as OH is going to be working some very odd shifts to start with ... can't see any pattern to them at all ... tonight it will be 5 - 8.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 12th, 2018, 11:15 am

Does the New Bug get all the shifts left uncovered in the summer holiday season perhaps? I've known that to happen
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 12th, 2018, 11:51 am

Think that's very possible Sue :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 12th, 2018, 12:37 pm

I have just finished the pickled walnuts, that's brining x 2 then concocting the spiced pickled vinegar, dried off the walnut quarters on newspaper in the sun and have just jarred them and poured over the pickled vinegar. Should be ready in time for C******s ! :o

Water and tricity being connected today to the Hobbit House. I had to brave the undergrowth and find our water meter which is very hidden away.

Mr. Z. has gone to work today, I have paid half the value of the garage doors to the joinery, they should be ready in 6 weeks. Just taking the weight off my slingbacks as I have been on my pins since 5.15am
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby nursemimi » July 12th, 2018, 12:44 pm

Good morning it is another hot one here today.
Sounds like everyone has been having a good week.
I work the next 3 days so trying to get things done
Have to run the vacuum over the floors and there
are a couple loads of laundry to do. Must plan our dinners
for those nights as we don't get home till almost 8!
But it wont be too hard as there are plenty of leftovers
in the freezer that need used.

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 12th, 2018, 12:48 pm

Good afternoon everyone,
I've spent far too much of the past 24 hours sorting out an issue with Argos, talk about a company not joining the dots up. :evil: Eventually got it sorted out this morning but it took a visit to the nearest store which I struggle with. I shall "nurse my wrath" for a few days before I draft the complaint email.....
As Aldi is next door I made the most of being loaded up with anti dizzy meds and ventured in. I had hoped to take advantage of the super 6 but the various fruit & veg included all look a bit tired so didn't bother with them. I'm suitably stocked up though on jars of anti pasta, cheeses etc. :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 12th, 2018, 1:05 pm

Just had a flying visit from DD ... she was on her way to deliver a machinery part to a farm in Norfolk so stopped off to use the loo and swig some coffee :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 12th, 2018, 4:16 pm

Hello!
Good news CJ re the health and Zosh re the walnuts and electricity! Have read back for the rest of the mixed bag of news.

It was only 15 degrees when we set out just before lunch :scared:. A bit different from what I've become accustomed to at home over the past few weeks. We went to look at the wall scratchings at the church in Cley and there was an art exhibition on there which was interesting. That was followed by lunch in Blakeney. Staying here is always good for me as meals are light but adequate :).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 12th, 2018, 4:51 pm

Hi EM :wave: enjoying our cooling breeze eh? 8-) Say hello to your hostess from us :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 12th, 2018, 6:41 pm

If we are talking of paint drying . this afternoons ladies semi finals at Wmbledon have to be featured.

We ended up watching le Tour for a lot of the afternoon because it went through the commune of a friend of ours who is the mayor. She is DD's (not David Davis) penfriend of nearly 40 years. They first met on a school exchange when DD was 11 and they have remained friend through thick and thin for all these years. DD was a witness at her wedding and she came to DD's with her sister, husband and parents.

They are both fluent in each other's language and are are perfect example of what some of us want to hang on to. Rant over so have a good evening and see you tomorrow :wave:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » July 12th, 2018, 7:48 pm

Saw this and HAD to post it! There's already talk of a film, even with those lads still in hospital!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -327589525
:kneel:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 13th, 2018, 5:20 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, we had a nice evening over at Melanda Beach, simple food but well done. When I went to the ladies I could see the owner, I have forgotten his name, doing something on a table outside the kitchen door. At first I thought that he was cleaning fish but realised that there were a lot of small twigs. On the way back I realised that he was stripping a large bunch of dried oregano. The smell of the herb came drifting through the trellis :)

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » July 13th, 2018, 6:58 am

Good morning wild ones. WE HAVE RAIN :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: it started around 10 pm last night and has carried on and off since, the plants are dancing, they are loving it. :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 13th, 2018, 8:23 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Hope no-one is superstitious! Big day here tomorrow, the absolute height of the summer season. BBQs will be lit - only not here. I have decided to make a soupe au pistou for some friends and they will bring a gateau.I'm not sure if there will be fireworks uo at the village, but if there are we will see them from here. It's going to be a hot weekend in all senses of the word.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 13th, 2018, 9:02 am

Morning all!

Bright sunshine here but we have lost that horrible humid feeling. Off to the JC today - yawn. My appointment is with the old bat who sanctioned me last year. This time I am prepared for her! Still can't wait to get home.

Anyone with rain, enjoy! :bounce:

Everyone - have fun!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 13th, 2018, 9:34 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

Good luck Tezza ... we're all with you ... she's taking on the lot of us ... all for one and one for all :hi5: :tu:

I remember holding a BBQ and lamb roast for what seemed like the whole village when we lived on the smallholding. Several families had French teenage boys staying with us for a while to aid their language studies ... we had the youngest lad and he seemed very young for his age and was very homesick ... it was his 14th birthday on the 14th July and we asked all the other French lads and the families they were staying with and tried to give them a lovely time ... sadly our lad was just so unhappy he spent most of the day either in his room or on our phone to his parents (running up a huge bill :shock: ). Fortunately the organisation that arranged the scheme paid for his calls as a 'one off'. The other lads were all around 16 years old and were having much more fun ... the village's teenage girls were hugely impressed :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 13th, 2018, 10:16 am

Good morning
Coming from that strip of south coast that runs roughly from Eastbourne to Bournemouth we were inundated with French kids every summer. They used to hang around in groups on street corners smoking and trying to look cool, moaning that there was nothing to do - occasionally they would play tennis. I'm not sure there is more for a snotty teenager to do in a small French town, and I suspect our tennis courts were better, we were on the Wimbledon warm up circuit in those amateur days
This may explain why I ended up with the ultimate French kid :lol:

Good luck Teresa
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 13th, 2018, 10:25 am

I think our lad's parents had very high expectations of him ... one parent was a uni professor and the other was head of languages at his school ... we had been chosen as his hosts because we had a 14 year old son ... our son was almost 6', had been shaving nearly every day for a year and had a scramble motorbike to charge around the farmland on ... our French lad looked more like an 11 year old and was a complete townie from Paris, bless him.
We did suggest to the organisers that he might be happier swapping families/moving in with one of the other French lads or even going home, but apparently his parents wouldn't hear of it. We had ornamental opium-type poppies in the garden which terrified him and he was appalled at the amount of coffee I drank :?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 13th, 2018, 12:35 pm

We had a reverse problem with one of the girls we took from NE England to Britanny. She was from a mining family and ended up in a beautiful farmhouse in the countrysidewhere Yves the organising teacher thought she would be happy. Lovely devout family . It was a Catholic school, girl her age etc etc.

She was in dire distress so we went to investigate. She said the house smelled bad. It smelled of much polishing with beeswax. The food was awful - it was all fresh farmhouse produce - real everything from butter to chicken, eggs and vegetables. Maman and grandmere were fabulous cooks. I took her out for a walk and realised she was suffering from the heat. She was wearing a girdle(at 14!)vest, bra and tights and had been told by her mother that under no circumstances was she to remove them.

I persuaded her to show me what clothes she had brought with her, and we chose a pretty summer dress, persuaded her to take off the tights and girdle. Her correspondent lent her a pretty scarf and a pair of flip flops and, after a drink around the farmhouse table - which included cider- we left her happily beginning to relax with our phone number for emergencies which she never used. She got the prize that year for the student who had made the most effort and progressed in her French.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby miss mouse » July 13th, 2018, 12:43 pm

Ratatouille wrote:She was wearing a girdle(at 14!)vest, bra and tights and had been told by her mother that under no circumstances was she to remove them.

Goodness. I can remember when corsetry was said to be essential for women, I think that their insides fall out without it.
miss mouse
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop