Chatterbox LXXXIII AKA TONY

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXIII AKA TONY

Postby Zosherooney » November 8th, 2018, 7:06 am

Morning Moira, I am no longer a virgin ! It was excellent, I walked and called for 2 others on the way and we walked to the pub under very showery skies. One of the other ladies we walked with is also have major works done to their house, they only moved to the village 8 months ago. I had a 'normal' brekkie, bacon, sausage, egg, 2 hash browns, grilled tommy and m'rooms T or coffee, then toast and marminglade. A good chat, I did know of most of them, we were about 12 in total and we left the pub @ 11.15 and walked home in the showers. I had a cup of earl grey mid avo but nothing until my snitzel and pasta and pesto at 7.30. It seems I have now been added to the distribution list so may well be going once a month! There were no nasty initiation ceremonies like a ducking in the village pond on the way home !!! :lol:

Another truck of sand due at 7.30 today then we have to sort a slight issue with the siting of the wood burning stove and its proximity to a window and also the mains electricity into the house. I tried last night to contact the WBS installer but to no avail.

We need to go to town at some point - Lloyds bank are not being very co-operative and the info we get over the phone does not always match that of the actual bank in the high street.

I know what an ASBO is but not ASB......?

Right I must get on.... :mug: 1st
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 8th, 2018, 7:10 am

Zosh: that sounds very civilized, you even managed a walk.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 8th, 2018, 7:36 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Moira ... Anti Social Behaviour. It’ll be because of the problems with Tezza’s downstairs neighbour I expect.

I was woken just before 4 by blue flashing lights etc ... two fire engines parked outside here and lots of activity at a house two houses away across the Rise ... no flames or smoke and the house lights were on. Another neighbour came out with a torch and spoke to firemen. ... a lot of going back and forth but no hoses were used. After about half an hour they went away. Wonder what that was about ... we may never know ... :|
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 8th, 2018, 8:09 am

Morning all,

Very blustery here today, at least it's dry for my walk.

I wonder what that was suffs?

That does sound lovely Zosh! What a lovely way to spend a day!

Suffs is right. An ASBO is issued when nuisances continue to break the rules of tenancy and/or the law which causes grief to others in the community. That might not be the exact definition! This letter is a warning to us all I guess - stop the anti social behaviour, or else your tenancy is at risk. I thought there were rumblings of something going on when I saw the police visit a nice close neighbour Sunday, then the council collected ex-campers' dumped items Monday. Happy days that something is happening I say! :grin:

A quick call to my water supplier who have sent a reminder for an absolutely unknown amount when I know I am completely up to date and in fact I am ahead of my next bill! Then a wander into town while the sun is shining.

Enjoy your day! :grin: :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 8th, 2018, 8:16 am

Good morning wild ones. Dry so far this morning :tu: Shopping day again today, one carrot and an onion left :rolleyes:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » November 8th, 2018, 8:37 am

it is indeed a nice morning, though for how long I don't know. Off to art this morning to deliver a doggie pawtrait I've done for someone.
I'm going through a horrid phase of not sleeping and I could do with coming home and going back to bed for an hour. Hey ho...

Is it the Hygiene cert you sat Tessa? Some of the questions are very ambiguous, but you do get the option to resit
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 8th, 2018, 10:12 am

Mystery solved ... the Norfolk Fire & Rescue website incident page says

8 Nov 2018
03:49:35 Appliances from Carrow and Earlham attended a Carbon Monoxide alarm sounding in ******** Rise. This was a false alarm.

:D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 8th, 2018, 11:18 am

ASB = anti social behaviour as in ASBO - ASB order made by the courts to tell someone to stop specific behaviour
As the late great Linda Smith used to say “The ASBO is the only certificate some of these kids will ever get”

Ooh, the sun has just come out again :)

Need to go on the search for a replacement poppy - think the library may have them

Have a good
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 8th, 2018, 12:48 pm

I'm pleased that was a false alarm and nothing serious!

I've sorted the water issue, nothing to worry about there! I just had a call to confirm that I have passed the FDQ (Food & Drink Qualification Level II) but only just. There were some very ambiguous questiions, we all agreed on that! Next challenge - tackle a very ominous looking letter from DWP advising deductions from my JSA for the next 32 weeks, no explanation! I predict a lengthy telephone conversation this afternoon. That means no job searching. Clever system eh? Not. :evil:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 8th, 2018, 1:24 pm

Afternon everyone :wave:

There has been a strange bright object in the sky since the early morning mist lifted. The Meteo had promised us wall to wall rain so keeping up their accuracy record!

Well done on the certificate Tezza. You passed and by how much doesn't matter. Bit like me and "O" level physics!

I had a minor triumph at the supermarket this morning. They had 2 packs of currants! Raisins and sultanas are usually quite easy to find but currants are as rare as hen's teeth I wish i could be as fortunate with soft brown sugar. Apparently it is not used in France as the sugar is almost all beet sugar. I used to be able to get Fair Trade sugars but that seems to have vanished.

Glad the fire mystery was solved Suffs and that you had a fun breakfast Zosh.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 8th, 2018, 2:02 pm

I obviously missed about five posts when I replied to Moira

Been out, run errands, had a nice walk in the sun through the cemetery park

Lunch, clearing up, then out for WI pizza party
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » November 8th, 2018, 3:15 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:I just had a call to confirm that I have passed the FDQ (Food & Drink Qualification Level II) but only just

Well done! You needed a pass and you got one. Where to next?
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 8th, 2018, 3:52 pm

Well done, Tezza
Our forecast was for a chance of rain, we have had heavy rain, I had to drive to Limassol and back in it. Hire cars here have red number plates, you can usually tell which are British drivers because they are used to driving in the rain

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 8th, 2018, 3:56 pm

Hello! A quick look in before work. Got through the nursery run without falling asleep but have only just got up. Thankfully the torrential rain stopped for our walk to nursery, we'd have arrived like drowned rats even with rain wear.

Great news Tezza - seems everything is moving forward and feeling more positive now. My heart sank 're the water bill - yours must have too -
but glad they were able to sort!

Is it usual for the fire service to attend if a carbon monoxide alarm goes off? I can see why it might be but had never thought about it before.

Time to get moving. Someone is leaving tonight so we're having one of the infamous Costco buffets :oops:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 8th, 2018, 4:01 pm

[quote="earthmaiden"

Is it usual for the fire service to attend if a carbon monoxide alarm goes off? I can see why it might be but had never thought about it before.

[/quote]

Initially I was a little surprised, but I reasoned that they probably have the equipment to test whether there is a dangerous level of Carbon monoxide present or not. On checking the list of callouts over the last week or so, there've been several such calls ... some false alarms but one with seriously poorly residents who were rushed to A&E so it's obviously an important part of what they do.

At least now we'll know what to do if ours goes off :tu:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 8th, 2018, 4:15 pm

They are increasingly called Fire and Rescue, and I think that sort of triage or assessment is very much the kind of thing the call now

And they would also be the only emergency service with proper breathing apparatus I think, so that’s a simple reason to send them in first
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Suelle » November 8th, 2018, 4:27 pm

suffolk wrote: At least now we'll know what to do if ours goes off :tu:

I just bought one for my son's new flat, and the instructions say to call a gas engineer if the alarm goes off, to get the appliance checked.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 8th, 2018, 5:00 pm

Sloe-Gin wrote:
TeresaFoodie wrote:I just had a call to confirm that I have passed the FDQ (Food & Drink Qualification Level II) but only just

Well done! You needed a pass and you got one. Where to next?

That goes on my CV. :tu: And I have my eye on a few little eateries in town that may offer me casual weekend work to fit in when I get a paid job. Once I get off benefits I can spread my wings again. No harm doing office work during the week and a bit of catering weekends. There's also the possibilty of starting up a home business again. That would have to be cleared with the council of course. And if the situation here does not improve re ASB then I will be asking for a transfer when my first year is up. I'll not rush into anything right now.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 8th, 2018, 5:10 pm

Good evening everyone,
Well done on passing Tezza :hi5:
It's cold, wet and miserable evening and has been dark for a while now. Just the weather for the sausage casserole I'm having later :) .
All the excitement etc. over the weekend caught up with me today so I've done very little. I did have a nice browse for tunic dresses and have ordered a few, I wore one on Saturday night and couldn't believe how comfy I was while still feeling I had made a bit of an effort, so I think that may be my new look for any sort of gathering :) .
Lovely installer got in touch today and I'm booked to get my woodburner installed the first week in December which I'm very excited about :D :D they weren't sure if they could fit me in before Christmas but due to a delay with planning another job they have lined up has been postponed to the New Year.
liketocook
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 8th, 2018, 5:24 pm

I have been toying with the idea of getting a tunic dress ltc. Well done for finding something you feel comfy in. Isn't it lovely when that happens? Did anyone use to wear jumper dresses? Back in the eighties they were I think. You don't see those anymors. I wonder if a forced comeback could be in order? Ooh, I just fancy snuggling up in layers topped with a great big long jumper dress, leggings and winter boots. :grin:

Trying to decide on dinner. My belly just roared furiously at the mention of sausage casserole. :hungry: And I just bought some spuds. I suddenly fancy mash! Sausage, mash, veg and gravy it is! :chops:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 8th, 2018, 5:27 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:I have been toying with the idea of getting a tunic dress ltc. Well done for finding something you feel comfy in. Isn't it lovely when that happens? Did anyone use to wear jumper dresses? Back in the eighties they were I think. You don't see those anymors. I wonder if a forced comeback could be in order? Ooh, I just fancy snuggling up in layers topped with a great big long jumper dress, leggings and winter boots. :grin:

Trying to decide on dinner. My belly just roared furiously at the mention of sausage casserole. :hungry: And I just bought some spuds. I suddenly fancy mash! Sausage, mash, veg and gravy it is! :chops:

I was big fan of jumper dresses in the 80s and there would seem to be a few about this year and pinafores so maybe they are having a come back :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 8th, 2018, 6:04 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:I have been toying with the idea of getting a tunic dress ltc. Well done for finding something you feel comfy in. Isn't it lovely when that happens? Did anyone use to wear jumper dresses? Back in the eighties they were I think. You don't see those anymors. I wonder if a forced comeback could be in order? Ooh, I just fancy snuggling up in layers topped with a great big long jumper dress, leggings and winter boots. :grin::

I used to wear sweater dresses with opaque tights and boots. And a slip to prevent clinging :)
And T-shirt dresses in summer

I too, like ltc, think they may be making a bit of a return, I’ve been shopping for sweaters online, and there seem to be a few around. Guess I’m not the only person who finds the print dress and cardigan not warm enough in winter but prefers a dress with some intrinsic warmth

As I said before, H&M have some nice stuff at the mo, including tunic dresses
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 8th, 2018, 6:12 pm

For once I’m ahead of the curve........I bought a tunic dress when the autumn stuff first hit the shops. I haven’t worn it yet as I feel I’d be too hot, but it will be just the thing when it becomes colder. Mine is predominantly blue so I have bought some navy tights and I already have some fab leather ankle boots, a bit Doc Martinish sole but a slightly more ladylike upper.

In fact it could be a nice Christmas Day outfit.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 8th, 2018, 6:18 pm

I always forget about H&M, I used to love a look through their rails. I used to find their sizing a bit erratic though, fine if you are instore to try on but a bit of a pain online.
Sounds very much like my 80s "uniform" Sue ;) , we used to rub vaseline or nivea on the top of our tights to stop the cling and climb- a slip would have been much more sensible :lol: :lol:
liketocook
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 8th, 2018, 6:20 pm

Busybee wrote:For once I’m ahead of the curve........I bought a tunic dress when the autumn stuff first hit the shops. I haven’t worn it yet as I feel I’d be too hot, but it will be just the thing when it becomes colder. Mine is predominantly blue so I have bought some navy tights and I already have some fab leather ankle boots, a bit Doc Martinish sole but a slightly more ladylike upper.

In fact it could be a nice Christmas Day outfit.

BB

Sounds lovely BB, I have been toying with buying a pair of Docs for years, used to live in them or desert boots when I was in my teens/early 20s :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby scullion » November 8th, 2018, 6:31 pm

where does a tunic dress differ from a shift dress?

i had a lovely, real wool knitted, jumper dress in the eighties, made by a knitwear designer in st agnes - and the figure to put it on - unfortunately they aren't very kind to bulges so i don't think i'll be indulging any time soon!
scullion
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 8th, 2018, 6:37 pm

scullion wrote:where does a tunic dress differ from a shift dress?

I'm not sure they do differ but definitely much maybe softer material either name they more forgiving than a jumper dress thankfully :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 8th, 2018, 6:40 pm

I thought that shift dresses were straight, often with a belt and reached whatever bit of the knee is fashionable at the time with bare or bare look legs. A tunic is slightly more A line and above the knee, requiring leggings or thick tights unless you have not passed the first flush of youth :).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 8th, 2018, 6:49 pm

Nuther busy day ! Not a molehill in sight ! We had another shingle/sand delivery at 8am, I emptied the plastic it went on of water at 7.30 and we have been lucky with no showers today. We went to town and got frustrated with banks that are happy to accept your funds in but charge you to take them out !!!!! Bought a few bits at the market and builder called and asked us to pick up and bring home some building guff. Mr. Z has a new toy.... an electric saw. All the chaps on site have 'toys' and I think Mr. Z felt left out so Santa has delivered an early Ch******s pressie so this afternoon we sawed up and transported our old garage doors to a nearby beacon that will be lit at 7pm on Remembrance Sunday. It fulfils 2 entities - The Beacon and recycling.

Tomorrow the digger goes and the 'muck away truck' takes the last of the rubble. There is a clearing of stuff happening. Towers of blocks and bricks are being put in place for the brickies (x2) that will be on site Sat/Sun to lay blockwork and bricks.

Sadly the celebratory Birthday lunch that was planned for next Tuesday has had to go on the back burner for the time being as her husbands Mother died last Monday, so we will reschedule for another time. Thankfully I had not taken anything out of the DF so that was lucky.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 8th, 2018, 6:50 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I thought that shift dresses were straight, often with a belt and reached whatever bit of the knee is fashionable at the time with bare or bare look legs. A tunic is slightly more A line and above the knee, requiring leggings or thick tights unless you have not passed the first flush of youth :).

Sounds reasonable :tu: :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 8th, 2018, 7:42 pm

In the late 1950s I had the first shift dress at the school dance. It was my very talented Auntie who made it from a magazine picture. It caused an absolute sensation amongst all the frilly petticoats and other new look stuff. Dear Mr r said he knew at that point I wasn't just one of the crowd.

Happy days. Neither of us would be counted amongst the fashion movers these days!!!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 8th, 2018, 7:52 pm

I'm having a very proud mama moment - my younger son phoned, he's been nominated as "Young Engineer of the Year" for the North East in the "ISTRUCTE" awards :D :D . Ceremony on the 30th of November so not too long to wait to find out if he has won.
liketocook
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 8th, 2018, 8:00 pm

:kneel: :kneel: :kneel: to your son ltc :hi5: :hi5: :hi5:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 8th, 2018, 8:15 pm

Thank you so much Patsy - he's worked so hard and I can't stop smiling :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 8th, 2018, 9:37 pm

Congratulations to your son LTC, quite some achievement. I do hope that the ceremony is being held somewhere swanky.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 8th, 2018, 10:07 pm

LTC :hug: :hi5: :cocktail: :cocktail: :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 8th, 2018, 10:46 pm

Congratulations ltc to your son ltc! What great recognition

Just back from the WI pizza party, not long until bed I think

G’night all
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 9th, 2018, 12:40 am

To ltc's son. :kneel: Well done! What a very proud achievement for you all! :cocktail:

I've missed Dark Heart and Masterchef tonight because of my comfy armchair that keeps hugging me into sleepdom. I think I'll do ten minutes (or however long it takes) of a Katie Fforde novel that I acquired today before I let sleep take hold. Aldi tomorrow. Main shop. I wonder how Kevin the carrot is getting on in his lorry on the cliff..... :wink:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 9th, 2018, 4:06 am

Fab news re your son ltc!

Love the thought of Rats in her shift dress! I remember my grandmother having a new summer shift dress in the early 60's and it being considered a talking point. Funny when you look back and remember when something like that was a talking point!

The Costco buffet was very good - tacky junk food is excellent sometimes!

Who is Kevin the Carrot?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 9th, 2018, 6:15 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I have been up most of the night coughing. Deb kindly bought a cold back from Italy, we are now spreading it around the island. In fact it is no longer contagious, it just the coughing which is disgusting.
We had to have the immersion heater on for the first time yesterday evening, no sun but it is out this morning.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 9th, 2018, 6:20 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Hope the cough is better soon Moira :plink:

Think I’ll have to make my own :mug: .....
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 9th, 2018, 7:09 am

We have a bottle of this seasons olive oil, I suggested to Effie that we would like some as her Father had both our olives and carobs. The olives were pressed in the old fashioned way between granite stones over at Anoyira. The local olive oil factories use a combination of hot water and chemicals. The oil is still a bit murky so will be stored under the sink for at least a month to settle, I have not checked the flavour yet.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 9th, 2018, 7:22 am

We were saying just the other day that we need to invest in a new can of EVOO ... Just in case there are hiccups with imports next year ... we decided that EVO O, canned anchovies and Italian tinned tomatoes were our priorities ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 9th, 2018, 8:16 am

Good morning wild ones. Well Done Tezza and LTC's son :tu: :tu: it's dry here at the moment, but sounds like rain and wind is on its way :( The shops are now bursting with Christmas goods :rolleyes: two weeks from now my neighbour will be putting the decorations in the garden and everywhere else for charity, he does a brilliant display :tu:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 9th, 2018, 9:07 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Well done to your son ltc. I assume the awards will be presented in Newcastle, do you know where?

icelesley wrote:G two weeks from now my neighbour will be putting the decorations in the garden and everywhere else for charity, he does a brilliant display :tu:

I bought the following for s-i-l who is very funny about a neighbour of hers who does the same, only not for charity
https://www.greetingscards.co.uk/produc ... catId=2598
Quite a lot of evoo is pressed in the traditional way here Moira - in fact the mill at St Sat - M Julien, does so. He gave me one of the scourtins - a round sisal mat which strains the oil and provides friction between the stones of the mill. Our oil won't be pressed for another couple of weeks. i gthwer the rain has delayed it this year. Olives apparently are a bit like brussels sprouts - here they prefer a touch of frost.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 9th, 2018, 9:32 am

earthmaiden wrote:Who is Kevin the Carrot?

The star of this year's Aldi/Lidl ad .... can't remember which one ... a carry on from last year and apparently a take off of the Pepsi/Coca cola advert... can't remember which one :aww: :? ;) :lol:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » November 9th, 2018, 9:38 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:The star of this year's Aldi/Lidl ad .... can't remember which one ... a carry on from last year and apparently a take off of the Pepsi/Coca cola advert... can't remember which one

Obviously very memorable, then!!

I have the hair chair this morning and, for once I slept well, if not too well!!
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 9th, 2018, 10:24 am

This morning's going well (so far) ... dry laundry folded and put away, birthday card written and ready to post to bestest friend (OH will post it on his way to work) ... bed linen in the wash, pond net cleared of leaves and replaced, Swiss chard picked and washed for supper, polenta cooked and cooling ready to griddle later ... we'll be having ox cheek, very slowly braised with vegetables, rosemary and red wine with the polenta and chard for supper ... it's going to be delicious :hungry:

Another positive is that despite now being an attractive shade of Deep Purple, my stubbed toe is a little less painful ... hopefully I'll be able to drive by the weekend.

Tezza ... did you get any info on the Sanctions letter 'they' sent you? Hope it's all a huge mistake and not to do with your volunteering :rolleyes:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 9th, 2018, 10:24 am

Morning all,

I've only just woken up. Three hours later than usual. :oops: I did notice when I went to bed last night there was something going on over in the Co-op way past closing and wondered if they had burglars, so it stopped me dropping off straight away, kept looking out of the window until I worked out they must be doing maintenance work in there. :lol: All seems well this morning. :grin:

I was doing the crossword in The Sun yesterday in Sainsbury's cafe and saw a half page report with a big picture of Kevin the carrot in his delivery lorry perched on the cliff. Apparently there had been complaints to Aldi that it was a distressing advert for children and it should be pulled. With Kev of carrot fame being a regular promoter in store, kids were traumatised thinking he was going to die. I'm sorry but I nearly choked on my doughnut. :lol: Then the report went on to add that there had been three complaints. :lol:

On that note, I'm off to Aldi! Have fun all! :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 9th, 2018, 10:24 am

Ooooh LTC- that's wonderful!!! :D :tu:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop