Chatterbox LXXXV - Van

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXV - Van

Postby earthmaiden » March 14th, 2019, 10:02 am

It is a mess but I agree with scully and wonder if the things we all think we might have done instead would have been possible when you are trying to please the whole of Europe and those with so many different opinions at home. I think that some credit is deserved for wielding the mop for so long without having a total nervous breakdown. I wouldn't want to be PM or a teacher :kneel: .

I hate food halls/'hubs' in large shopping centres but don't mind proper eateries with their own premises. I haven't been to our Carluccios since they changed. Ours is in the Outlet Village so it stayed.

Grassy seems to be getting plenty of exercise!

Nasty day, Night shift tonight but only one this week as someone's been paying back shifts they owe me this week. I am going to make up the bed in the 'study' (aka junk room) now that I have washed everything. It will make the rest of what needs to be done look better. I plan to walk round IKEA before work - indoor exercise out of the wind ;).

Have a good day all and take care in the nasty weather! :hug:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 14th, 2019, 10:11 am

I agree with Scully and EM ... it was a Pig’s Ear from the very start and there’s no way anyone could make a silk purse out of it. The dissidents on both sides in NI are already trying to take advantage of the situation ... the EU was formed to try to maintain peace in Europe ... trust the good old UK to bu$$er it up because we’re too arrogant and selfish to understand that sometimes we have to look to the greater good :rolleyes: :cry:

Good job I’ve got a nice day out with DD planned for today .... :bounce:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 14th, 2019, 10:46 am

As someone said,many want not a second referendum but a first one done right - sensibly worded and without cheating

And ideally with Boris locked up somewhere with no internet connection

We have yet more wind here so won’t be doing outside stuff very much apart from my walk to the quiz tonight

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby aero280 » March 14th, 2019, 11:20 am

It’s becoming clearer by the day that my long held view that people only go into national politics because they are too stupid to hold down a proper job, is the right view.

They say that “the people have spoken” and that a second referendum Is not possible because you can’t keep having the same vote until you get the result you want, yet the prime minister is doing just that!

If the “no second chance” was the right way, why would we have another general election? At the last election the people chose a hung parliament, so that must be it for ever...
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby aero280 » March 14th, 2019, 11:28 am

I only found out recently that there is a “syndrome” called Dunning-Kruger. Basically it’s the situation where someone is too stupid to realise that they are stupid.

Long before I found out that it had a name, I had been suggesting that some of my managers at work suffered this way, but I didn’t realise that it had a name. Apparently it is common among senior executives! It does explain why so many large companies fail spectacularly.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby cyprusmoira » March 14th, 2019, 11:29 am

Somehow I have managed to subscribe to Pinterest, at present they are directing "Greek" recipes at me. I feel like screaming at them that Horiataki , Greek salad is not complicated, stop messing it up and as for describing Pasticcio as Greek Mac & Cheese, words fail me.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 14th, 2019, 11:52 am

I don’t get Pinterest
I signed up under the impression that enabled you to scrapbook and storyboard the flotsam of the internet but it seems to be yet another rubbish branch of social media.

Maybe I’ll get the app and give it another go
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 14th, 2019, 12:33 pm

aero - you are so right with all your comments!

I have managed to avoid Pinterest and Instagram so far, I don't feel I have a use for either.

The sun has come out - my mood has changed instantly - for the better.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 14th, 2019, 1:21 pm

Afternoone everyone :wave:

Very swit one because our lovely Laura hairdresser is coming in about half an hour to tame the locks which have gone riot since she went on maternity leave at the beginning of November and the replacement then became very ill after her first visit.

Usual Thursday trip to town this morning - just as chaotic in the supermarket as ever. Possibly even more shelf stackers and pallets blocking the aislies. We managed to get back to the car without vanishing over the mountais in the mistral. It was a bit hazardous because the forementioned shelf stackers had left a load of squashed cartons on a trolley in the carpark which od course were being lifted up by the wond and flying around merrily.

I've got to the stage with the cuerrent political situation that I am hoping we get through the first part of the citizenship process very soon. If the scenario Sue describes comes to pass it not only Boris who will have to be locked up. Shall I ask President Macron if the Chateau d'If could be made available. Lateral thinking appears to have vanished into the wide blue yonder. I am pretty sure that the EU will demand a long delay in the hope of a peoples' vote in the UK.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 14th, 2019, 7:43 pm

All done and dusted and loads of baby pictures cooed over. I sent her some M&S baby grows with a London when he was born. She was amazed at the fit and the quality and said they must have been very expensive. She said they were the best clothing she had. So i showed here the M&S French website and she was relally impressed. This is a 30year old who has never shopped on line! So Mr R and I spent a while showing her how and also how the French M&S site is in whatever language you choose.

We helped her order quite a lot of stuff for baby and herself. I reckon we ought to be having commission from M& S and after she had gone we sat back and remarked to each other that it has to be amazing that two well past 70 year olds are showing a young mum how to shop on line in their own country. Should we be claiming commission?
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 14th, 2019, 9:47 pm

Lovely Rats :D

I’m too tired to tell you about my day out with DD, which was definitely a ‘Curate’s Egg’. I’ll tell you tomorrow .. right now I’m sliding under the duvet ... sweet dreams all ... :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 14th, 2019, 10:03 pm

Only agree with the middle comment Aero....
a second referendum Is not possible because you can’t keep having the same vote until you get the result you want,
Don't move the goalposts......

Drains and soakaways almost dug. Apparently we will have plastering tomorrow ! Better hurry up..... the WBS will be installed next Monday. No delays this time...

Kitchen lady arrived late, we parked her very carefully with access to all drives but it did not stop :evil: from coming and asking that it be moved because of impending arrival of Mr. :evil: Funnily enough he managed it without a problem. Mr. Z. went and checked and advised me, if he could not access then he should not be driving ! Yet again, she has made herself look stupid.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » March 15th, 2019, 1:51 am

Zosherooney wrote:Only agree with the middle comment Aero....
a second referendum Is not possible because you can’t keep having the same vote until you get the result you want,
Don't move the goalposts......

i think you may have misquoted (or rather misconstrued) what aero was actually saying. he may believe that, i don't know, but it's not what he said.
scullion
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 15th, 2019, 6:17 am

Aah Ha ! :lol:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 15th, 2019, 6:24 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, raining again :(
I got Deb a Hotel Chocolat Gift Box for her birthday today. A very popular gift, it includes a Happy Birthday chocolate slab. The box contain s two tiers of chocolates, I have never seen a menu in a chocolate box which indicates which one contain alcohol, personally I am looking forward to trying the gin one.
It was all well packed and survived the journey very well

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 15th, 2019, 7:04 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

Such horror in New Zealand. My thoughts are with the victims, their loved ones and all those traumatised and saddened by such evil.
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » March 15th, 2019, 7:58 am

Good morning wild ones. My heart felt sympathies goes out to those caught up in the attacks in New Zealand, it is such sad news.

Back here the saga of next door's garage roof continues. It's still windy and the remaining two roof felt pieces are flapping so will at some point end up in our garden as the first piece. They are not small either its a double garage. " Boy wonder" didn't come home last night so has obviously decided to ignore it lazy sod. He definitely gives teachers a bad name. :twisted:
Last edited by icelesley on March 17th, 2019, 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » March 15th, 2019, 9:05 am

Morning.
Shocking news from NZ. It always seemed such a 'safe' country. Sympathies to all involved.

I'm a proud mamma; my son has qualified to represent GB in the European Dualathlon championships in his age group (mid 30s).

We will not watch Comic relief tonight, but we do plan to enjoy Bohemian Rhapsody, surrounded by dogs, glass of wine to hand.

Everything thaat I think about the current shambles in the HIO has already been eloquently expressed. I particularly liked Sue's sentiment about JRM.

I did sign up for Pinterest (or Pin interest as one of the ladies at art calls it!) but quicly unsigned.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 15th, 2019, 9:29 am

[quote="Zosherooney”] Don't move the goalposts...... [/quote]

The goalposts were moved the day the Republic of Ireland joined the EU. To achieve what many Brexiteers seem to want they’ll need a Tardis. ;)
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 15th, 2019, 9:32 am

Well done SG :cocktail: :cocktail: :D but what does a Dualathon involve? :?
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 15th, 2019, 9:34 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Horrific news to wake up to. Perhaps "our" politicians could take a lesson about the results of stirring up irrational hatereds - I doubt it

Well done Sloe's son. I hope you will enjoy Bohemian Rhapsody as much as we did. I should stand by with tissues at the end.

I watched the Comic relief programme about climbing Mt Kilimanjaro. Another moving piece or is it just me getting sentimental in my old age?

Very cross about Masterchef last night I am sure it is on the way out because they move days and times at the slightest excuse.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » March 15th, 2019, 9:48 am

suffolk wrote:Well done SG but what does a Dualathon involve?

Running and cycling. This are middle distance championships... I should know more. I must ask the expert.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 15th, 2019, 10:20 am

SG ... once I get off my bike there’s no chance of me running anywhere! Walking from the garage to the sofa is an achievement! :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 15th, 2019, 10:24 am

I would be wonderful at that, once I had learned how to ride a bike :lol:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 15th, 2019, 11:11 am

Well done SG’s son!

TV is full of NZ, terrible news.

We did well in the pub quiz last night but didn’t get in the money, was fun

No excitement today, just getting on and going to the dental hygienist

Weather continues uninviting
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 15th, 2019, 12:25 pm

Good afternoon! Night shift done, sleep had. Horrid day, a little more clearing up the study to be done. Had a good look round IKEA yesterday, I bought 2 sheets but the kitchen cupboards were not sold with the desired measurements and the assistant wasn't at all helpful. I might go to the Philosophical Society tonight - or I might snuggle on the sofa and watch a film (more likely). Comic Relief is very worthy but I would pay not to watch it.

The news from NZ certainly wasn't the distraction from Brexit we wanted. So sad on so many counts.

Congrats to your son Sloe. Now that is happy news! :kneel:

I would be thrilled with a Hotel Chocolat parcel on my birthday, Deb is a lucky lady!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 15th, 2019, 12:54 pm

We have just been watching the BBC News Channel about the new from NZ.
Meanwhile we have had a thunderstorm for the last two hours, amazingly the power has not gone down

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 15th, 2019, 1:04 pm

Afternoon!

What started here as bright, sunny, breezy has turned into torrential rain. Four hours and counting. A bit ashamed to say that my pyjamas are actually calling me already...

Terrible losses of life in NZ. I will catch the evening news when I get home.

Congrats to Sloe's son! What an achievement. :kneel:

Well, I have just had a third social invite in one week. A bit like buses! :lol:

I mentioned here about six months ago I attended a food safety course and some workshops for people wanting to get back into work. We were all chatting on WhatsApp last weekend and decided to meet up tomorrow for a bite to eat, partners and children included, at the Gary Cooper which is a pre-theatre eatery in town. I have only ever walked past it but the menu looks quite good and reasonably priced.

Yesterday an invite came in for a leaving 'do' for a colleague who leaves to have a baby next month. Our manager has invited her out for a meal in Luton, a place called Papa J's which is an Indian tapas style restaurant. She thinks it is just the two of them going, unbeknown to her there will be about twenty of us turning up later as a surprise. :lol:

Now the aforementioned food safety course leader has invited us all as a group, not just us 'close' ladies to a meal next month, again at the Gary Cooper, a midweek affair.

Looking forward to all three! :bounce:

A bit of tidying up to do this afternoon on a completely messed up file that I have just unearthed from before my time. I do love a good problem solve, and this is going to be a good problem solve!

Have fun all!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 15th, 2019, 1:31 pm

Sounds good Tezza. What a very long way you have gone in a year :kneel:

Well we have decided on the new car. Actually the driver decided, I just signed on the dotted line. Do we really need a button to alert the firebrigade or the breakdown people (via Citreon Assist) or a voice activated sat nav???? Especially for someone who has yet to get to grips with his smart phone :evil: It is a better ride and very comfortable and, most important I can get in and out easily and it will only cost us 10€ a month more than our present car.

We'll get it next week.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby aero280 » March 15th, 2019, 5:19 pm

Enjoy your new car! :) If you told everyone on a car forum that you had a new car, you would have to post a picture!! :D

These days I’m finding that getting in and out of a car easily is more important than the performance. Although keeping up with the Germans on the autobahn can be fun...
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Grasshopper » March 15th, 2019, 8:09 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Grassy seems to be getting plenty of exercise!

:lol:

Got even more today, when the skip came. We filled it to the brim with wood within about 2 hours, and we STILL have loads left! :shock: Will be getting an even BIGGER skip on Monday (the one we filled being the second size down), an 8 yard whopper! :o

THAT should take care of the rest of the wood! :tu: And we can concentrate on tidying up the garden that we have put nearly 30 years work into!

Mum goes for her second knee op (right knee this time) in 2 weeks, so I've booked some time off, because I will be needed :tu: :D

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Rainbow » March 15th, 2019, 10:35 pm

Seems like you all heard the NZ news before I did! Just saw it this morning :(

Poor Christchurch - only just recovering from the terrible earthquake, and now this. A real tragedy.
Rainbow
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 16th, 2019, 7:35 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, we had an excellent evening at the Four Seasons Oriental restaurant. We started in bar, I had a posh G&T, Deb had Strawberries and Pearls, a Strawberry Daiquiri with spheriphide strawberries on the side. We ate a selection of dumplings, followed by a rather flabby Lemon Chicken but an excellent Pork & Orange dish.

I remembered the first time that I had Dim Sum, over 30 years ago a Chinese Malaysian colleague took a group of us to Wardour Street to one of the ethnic Chinese restaurants, there were not many Europeans there. It was a revelation, as a child I had been taken to the long gone Hong Kong restaurant on Shaftesbury Avenue but had never seen all those steamer baskets. The Chinese supermarkets were a revelation
In those days dim sum service stopped at 5 00pm, I use the word service loosely, the trollies were pushed by some aggressive girls wearing navy cardigans over their cheong sams. Now that area is officially Chinatown and a destination.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 16th, 2019, 7:51 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Glad I’m not the only one who’s wide awake :D
We love dim sum ... there’s a great restaurant in Norwich called Baby Buddha which had a great dim sum menu. We don’t eat out often ... we should go there more ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » March 16th, 2019, 8:03 am

Good morning wild ones. It's still blowing a hooly here and the neighbour's roof problem is not going away. He didn't come home again last night, so it's still flapping in the wind. :rolleyes: but also it means the poor cat has been on its own since Thursday morning, nobody has been near the place to see if it's ok. :shock:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 16th, 2019, 8:29 am

Just grabbing a :mug: then dashing to Wrose for milk and eggs ... anyone want anything?
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 16th, 2019, 9:57 am

Good morning
We used to go out for Sunday dim sum on Wardour Street when I first lived in Stokey, so about 1980, either dim sum or we’d go to Joe Allen’s for an American style brunch

We now have a newish trendy Chinese restaurant just round the corner that does dim sum, must try before it closes; I don’t hold out much hope of longevity since I walked past at 21.30 on Valentine’s Day and there was a single couple sitting alone in the middle of a fairly large restaurant.

I’ve had enough of this weather, I want to plant some seeds but while need to work out doors. Not today but I suppose I ought to get the compost in case I can do it tomorrow

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 16th, 2019, 10:01 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Utterly gorgeous morning and the market was piled high with goodies. We have a shoulder of lamb, asparagus. broad beans and peas not to mention the first local garigette strawberries. It looks like a delicious weekend ahead, the question is in what order?

Looking forward to watching The Greatest Showman this evening I hope it's as good as son says it is.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 16th, 2019, 10:13 am

icelesley wrote: but also it means the poor cat has been on its own since Thursday morning, nobody has been near the place to see if it's ok. :shock:

:cry: Hope dear cat is alright.... is anyone feeding him/her?

Sloe, just been reading back. Congratulations to your son! What an achievement....

Tezza, you really are in the midst of a mad social whirl aren't you? :D Lovely!

Meeting friend later for a swim. It's the local half-marathon tomorrow so Mr S and I hoping to get a decent night's sleep tonight. Between us we've managed to raise nearly 1k in sponsorship for our chosen charities so we better make sure we do all our sponsors proud!

Have a good day all :wave:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 16th, 2019, 10:51 am

Morning all! Slept in a bit late then got bogged down reading something interesting which had been emailed to me.

The Chinese evening out sounds lovely as do people's reminisces. The place round here which was good moved to a less pleasant area, I don't think I have been there since my 50th birthday!

Another grim-looking windy day here. Feeling envious of Rats enjoying a lovely sunny market. I shall go to Morrison's for the walk and knuckle down to getting the study cleared and cleaned. I got as far as revisiting and finding homes for 2 bags of gifts I had received last Christmas and birthday yesterday. It was like having another present opening as I had forgotten what was there :oops:. Mostly things I am pleased with.

Good luck tomorrow Seat! I won't be waving from the office window this year.

Poor old cat. I used to leave mine for weekends with plenty of food left out sometimes and they were fine. Wouldn't do it for several days though.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 16th, 2019, 11:14 am

I had to post this as I thought that you might enjoy the photo
https://cyprus-mail.com/2019/03/16/oran ... a-highway/
Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 16th, 2019, 11:39 am

Makes a change from driving over lemons Moira :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 16th, 2019, 12:19 pm

Goodness! The thing I find sad when food is involved in an accident is that there doesn't seem to be much effort to do something useful with it. Sad to see cars driving over all those oranges :cry:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 16th, 2019, 12:37 pm

Thought I’d better let Wildies with dogs know that the earlier warm weather seems to have woken the adders up early this spring https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/environmen ... -1-5941460
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 16th, 2019, 1:08 pm

Our former Dutch neighbour was bitten by an adder in the orchard at about this time of year a few years ago. The temp just before I came upstairs a couple of minutes ago was 24+C. Breaks Mr R's weather records"
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 16th, 2019, 1:14 pm

This is for Aero. I thought I'd posted it yesterday. Sorry it's in French, apparently it isn't available in the UK yet:

https://www.citroen.fr/vehicules-neufs/ ... actus.html. Don't blame me I couldn't care less about cars :lol: :lol:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby aero280 » March 16th, 2019, 3:46 pm

:tu: :tu:

Looks a lot nicer than the older Cactus which had random plastic panels stuck all over it!.

Citroën_C4_Cactus_.jpg

2016_Citroën_C4_Cactus_.jpg
aero280
Site Admin

Postby WWordsworth » March 16th, 2019, 4:12 pm

I always thought those panels look like bathmats.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » March 16th, 2019, 4:22 pm

When my cousin came over from Canada, they hired a cactus. She was not very impressed, but it was an earlir model.

Thanks for all your messges about dear son, but events, of course, have intervened. My DiL is donating a kidney to her bro, who has lupus, and the ops are scheduled for end of April/beg May, so he can't go swanning off.

DiL's parents are over for supper tonight - chicken methi, gobi musallam and tarka dal.

poor cat, icey, he doesn't deserve to be left with such an inconsiderate man.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 16th, 2019, 6:05 pm

Sloe - :hug: :hug: and fingers crossed to all concerned. I hope all goes well and that your son has a chance to compete at a later date. You (and he) must be so proud that he got this far.

Ratatouille wrote: apparently it isn't available in the UK yet:

At the rate we're going we'll all be forced to have the equivalent of the Trabant before long :rolleyes:. It looks a lovely car Rats. I don't recall seeing the one with the coloured panels but must have!

Room looking almost respectable. Still a few things to find homes for. Tomorrow will be turning out a couple of cupboards and the filing cabinet ... the latter plus additional paperwork will take the rest of the week I suspect but then all will be shipshape. It's a horrid evening, rain is lashing against the windows.
earthmaiden
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop