Chatterbox LXXXV - Van

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXV - Van

Postby suffolk » March 18th, 2019, 1:20 pm

Thanks for everyone’s kind wishes. :hug:

Seatallen :kneel:

The h*wk has been done, I whipped up a broccoli and Stilton soup from some leftovers for lunch and there’s enough left for tomorrow. Supper has been prepped and more broccoli had been picked. The washing on the line is nearly all dry so that needs keeping an eye on, and my seed order from Chilterns has arrived so I’m a happy bunny. :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 18th, 2019, 1:28 pm

Congratulations Sea and OH. Wise move to take gentle exercise this morning !

Tezza was nothing else other than upping the strength of the painkillers suggested? I find that rather worrying. I had 4 elderly relatives and 2 younger ones who were totally addicted to prescribed opiates. Being prescribed such medication here is like asking to take a round trip to the moon! I thought that UK GPs were being advised always to seek alternative treatments or refer to a pain management clinic.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 18th, 2019, 2:14 pm

Tezza, I agree with Rats, are you on any anti inflammatories, eg Ibuprofen (Brufen) or Diclofenac (Volterol)

Confusion reigns here about the dates of my Bro & SIL visit, Deb and I had different dates, I had to e mail my brother, I was only one day out :rolleyes:

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » March 18th, 2019, 3:25 pm

Afternoon All

Missed a few days here due to manic kitchen situation, Zosh, how are you doing all that work and finding time to post on here too :kneel:

Sorry to hear about SSIL Suffs, hope he has had a better day today. Sending love to both of them, hope Harrie has been keeping him company.

Ice, that made me laugh, the 'stuff' we have found while moving the kitchen round :rolleyes:

Sea, brilliant result yesterday :tu: :tu: Tezza take it easy with that back of yours too :hug: Hope thats covered everyones news, if not sorry I missed you out.

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 18th, 2019, 3:36 pm

UK GPs seem to favour Naproxen as the NSAID (non-opiate anti-inflammatory pain relief) at the moment with a fairly low strength codeine (co-codamol) for breakthrough pain

Don't forget that co-codamol comes in 3 strengths - 8, 15 or 30 mg codeine and the risk of dependency is low with 8 or 15 mg tablets taken as prescribed

Other opiods or indeed 30 mg codeine you do need to pledge your granny to get

But you really shouldn't automatically need to take laxatives with codeine, unless a doctor has told you to of course
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 18th, 2019, 4:38 pm

Thanks all :D :hug:

Suffs, there won't be enough soup left for tomorrow if I happen to hove into view.... one of my all time soup faves... :chops: :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 18th, 2019, 5:28 pm

Chinch, I have to admit to struggling ATM..... There have been some 'moments' where I have nearly lost it, did have to leave site for an hour last week, too many people 'wanting' info. My head seems fit to explode sometimes. I am awake early - between 4 and 5 and I do speed type ! I have swept the 'thoroughfare' 3 times today - mud and shingle stuck together !

My Pyro is in position !!! Finally !!! It is up through 1st floor to ceiling level and a hole will be punched through the roof tomorrow and out into the open air ! The inside flue has been sprayed black and we are pleased with the result.

Kitchen lady has been and has measured. She will come up with a plan but needs commitment before releasing it to me :evil:

Tiler has spent the day 'doing' the long skinny bathroom walls and floor, more to do tomorrow. Then the ensuite after the sit bath has been installed on Thursday.

Foundations for porch dug and will be filled with cement tomorrow.

Suff sorry to hear about your relly's suffering, hope things improve soon.

Tezz, not good to rely on too many pills, I have to take 3 every day and hate the reliance.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 18th, 2019, 5:29 pm

Chinch :D Harrie has certainly been keeping SSIL company, aided and abetted by Flatters ... having a human in bed 24/7 to snuggle up to is an opportunity not to be missed :lol:

Seatallen
... OH has just informed me he’s at home tomorrow ... the soup may have to be stretched ...
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 18th, 2019, 5:53 pm

suffolk wrote:Seatallen
... OH has just informed me he’s at home tomorrow ... the soup may have to be stretched ...

Curses!! :lol:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby liketocook » March 18th, 2019, 7:50 pm

Good evening everyone.
I haven't had a chance to have proper read back but :hug: :hug: to suffs SIL who I hope is recovering.
I've been awol as sadly my Dad passed unexpectedly in his sleep last week, a horrible shock as while he was in his late 70s and had a myriad of health problems he was ticking along nicely and still getting out and about every day. I was the one who found him after becoming concerned when he hadn't been in touch and I couldn't get him on the phone. It was clear he had suffered no pain or distress which is all you can ask for. The funeral is not until next week and it's now that horrible limbo time when there is so much to do but hard to move things forward.
Will post when I can
LTC
liketocook
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » March 18th, 2019, 8:05 pm

Sorry to hear your news LTC. I didn't realise he had health problems, from your 'talking' about him popping by often etc it sounded like he was pretty active.
Take care.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby liketocook » March 18th, 2019, 8:16 pm

slimpersoninside wrote:Sorry to hear your news LTC. I didn't realise he had health problems, from your 'talking' about him popping by often etc it sounded like he was pretty active.
Take care.

Thank you - yes he'd a hideous list of quite serious conditions but all well managed now after a period of crisies about 10 years ago when he frequently was in DNR situations. Getting a mobility scooter changed his life so positively despite his reluctance to get one and he certainly made the scooter battery work hard for it's keep :) . I've been overwhelmed by cards/calls/messages from local folk that he used to chat to while he was out and about :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Busybee » March 18th, 2019, 8:16 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss LTC :hug: :hug:

May he rest in peace.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » March 18th, 2019, 8:19 pm

So sorry to hear your sad news LTC, take care of yourself :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » March 18th, 2019, 8:36 pm

icelesley wrote:not enough time to sort the cat out who has been on its own for four days

Ice - does Puss have access to food, water & toilet facilities? If not, a phone call to the RSPCA or a cat rescue charity may be in order.

LTC - My sincere condolences :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

:hug:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 18th, 2019, 8:39 pm

Oh dear. The poor man and poor you.

I am glad to read that he got good use and enjoyment out of his mobility scooter, all too often bought too late to be used much. Vanity and denial holds us back I suspect.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 18th, 2019, 9:51 pm

LTC sorry to hear this, but no suffering by your account........ my choice, if given one. Thoughts to you and your family.......Take care of each other...
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 18th, 2019, 10:02 pm

LTC :hug: :hug: I am so sorry for your loss. So much to do now for you, so please pop in when you feel up to it if there is anything that any of us can do to help or advise, or to let off steam. :hug: :hug:

I can't be bothered to talk about my meds now, maybe tomorrow, seems a bit inappropriate. Wishing you all a restful sleep tonight. :hug: Nite nite x
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 18th, 2019, 10:30 pm

I was only thinking of you earlier ltc and that we hadn't heard from you lately. I am so very sorry to hear your news, my deepest condolences to you and much love. How good to know that your dad was so well liked. :hug: :hug:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 18th, 2019, 10:44 pm

LTC :hug: so sorry for your loss ... ac EM said, how lovely that people are letting you know that he was important in their lives. Thinking of you all at this difficult time :hug:
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 19th, 2019, 12:23 am

Sorry to hear your news Ltd, it must have been a shock for you
My sincere condolences to you and your family :hug: :hug:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » March 19th, 2019, 1:08 am

my condolences to you and your family, too.
i'm sure it was the passing we would all chose given the chance.
scullion
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 19th, 2019, 6:02 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, LTC, my condolences, what a shock for you.

I have put the trays of oregano out to dry as instructed

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 19th, 2019, 7:58 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
I have promised myself I will sort out the contents of my wardrobe this morning ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » March 19th, 2019, 8:12 am

Good morning wild ones. LTC :hug: :hug: :hug: and anyone else who needs one :hug:
The rain has stopped :bounce: :bounce: I need to go and get s some kitchen roll, I forgot it on Thursday :rolleyes: senior moment :lol: ;) at least I won't get wet :D I also need a battery for my WW scales. I thought when I bought them it said a lifetime battery, I suppose it depends how you define "lifetime" is it my lifetime, the scales lifetime or the battery lifetime :?: :?: how do you put a timescale on it too :?: :?: :?: :rolleyes:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 19th, 2019, 9:29 am

Morning everyone :wave:

First of all LTC my condloences and thoughts to you and your family. It must have been such for you but hope it was some comfort to know it was so peaceful and now to realise that he was so loved. Treasure the happy memories :hug: :hug:

When we opened the shutters this morning and looked down on the balcony we realised that the first wisteria flowers are out and one of the camelias is in full bloom. That put a smile on our faces

There is asparagus to be turned into soup before lunch and the latest edition of Saveurs to read. Wish I could put off the ironing.

Suffs when we had that huge storm last summer the roof of our car ended up covered in spherical dents.It looked as if it had had smallpox and had to be fixed but the insurance paid,
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 19th, 2019, 10:00 am

Morning all! A bit dull today. I have been putting off doing the washing for some reason and most of the clothes I wear on ordinary days are now being washed together :rolleyes: . It will be a pyjama day until I go to meet GD from nursery later :lol:.

No excuse not to finish turning out the filing cabinet. I found a £50 note in there on Sunday which was a surprise. I have looked it up and it is an obsolete one I think. There is a chance the bank will take it, otherwise one has to send it or visit the Bank of England direct. Worth it for that much.

It was nice having a day off turning out yesterday. Nice chinwag with friend and she brought lovely scones as promised. Had a meeting to go to in the evening.

Zosh, how can you commit to the kitchen plans before seeing them? :?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » March 19th, 2019, 10:12 am

Thanks for all your kind messages :hug: :hug:
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 19th, 2019, 10:17 am

Good morning
Don’t think there are any £50 notes in my filing cabinet em. A lot of dust and a lot of paper that really ought to be shredded. But it’s almost exciting getting all the the stuff into one comprehensible system

Then of course I’ll have to do something with some of it :(

No £50 but I did win £40;playing backgammon last night

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 19th, 2019, 10:26 am

:hi5: :hi5: Sue, I just can't play any game for money. Must be my methodist grandmother. One of the reasons we stopped playing bridge here because the expats only play for money and the locals play a totally different game.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 19th, 2019, 10:50 am

I'm assuming the £40 was a nice prize rather than Sue gambling recklessly every time she plays backgammon :?. My gambling is restricted to 2p pieces or matchsticks usually and the occasional lottery ticket.

One of the main reasons for going through the filing cabinet is a heap of paperwork I need to do to bring finances up to date, sort out pensions and some other business which has cropped up. Once I have streamlined the cabinet contents it will make the paperwork easier. It doesn't feel as though it was long ago I got it ship shape but appears to have been a couple of years :oops:. I might add that everything is where I expect to find it but there is a lot of shredding to do.

Talking of shredding, the council only take shredded paper if it is contained within a paper bag. I used to come back from the USA laden with paper grocery bags which were ideal. I only have one left now :(. It seems a bit extreme to drive to Cheltenham to go to Whole Foods but there still aren't many places who give out strong paper bags which do not contain any other material.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 19th, 2019, 11:30 am

I bought some local asparagus in LIDL of all unlikely places, we shall have some for supper with eggs, I shall freeze the rest.
There was a small earthquake yesterday evening, the epicentre was just off the coast at Kouklia, between here and Paphos, I did not feel it but it accounts for why Pug was a bit twitchy.
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » March 19th, 2019, 11:37 am

LTC sincere condolences - losing a parent is a painful experience, be sure to take care of yourself. :hug: :hug:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 19th, 2019, 12:34 pm

Sorry to hear your news LTC. Mr S's grandfather died under very similar circumstances. A lovely way to go but a shock to those who are left. :hug: :hug:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 19th, 2019, 1:08 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I'm assuming the £40 was a nice prize rather than Sue gambling recklessly every time she plays backgammon . My gambling is restricted to 2p pieces or matchsticks usually and the occasional lottery ticket.

Yes, the usual thing at these local club tournaments is that everyone pays an agreed sum into the prize fund. In this case I paid £10 and won £50

The only bet I ever put on a horse in a betting shop was on one called SueLuck, ridden by a jockey with almost my name (S XXX, he was actually some kind of second cousin), it was also a Daily Mirror tip of the day. Darn thing came in second, which turned out to be Steve’s speciality at the time.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 19th, 2019, 1:24 pm

Hello all!

What a dull day weather wise here! But no rain.

Not a great start to the day for me. Skip down a bit if you are eating your lunch. I went in to my kitchen this morning to start getting my bag ready for work, looked out of the window to find a local man out by the washing lines stood urinating up against a picket fence that connects to a garden that belongs to a family with children. :sprout: It was a truly disgusting sight to behold first thing in the morning, especially as after he had finished, he stood there in his puddle for a few minutes, long enough for me to take some photos on my phone. Needless to say he is friends with the bloke downstairs and can often be found slumped at the bottom of the stairs from my flat with a beer can in his hand. Horrible man.

Re my meds! I have had them chopped and changed so many times now but I think we have struck gold. I am finding that I am not having to bother with the laxatives but at least I know they are there if I do need them. My GP has suggested a bit of self help physio in the form of Pilates. When our new leisure centre opens in May I will be looking into that. At the moment I am coping on two out of the eight Codeine that I am allowed per day. I don't want to become too reliant on them so if I can make do on two. :tu:

A nice cheese, Marmite, mayonnaise and cucumber baguette for lunch is going down well. I'll be late home tonight as I have to nip into town. No idea on what to have for dinner. Something might jump out and excite me when I reach my kitchen. :D

Have good afternoons everyone.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 19th, 2019, 2:55 pm

As long as your GP is monitoring your meds, and even more importantly discussing them with you then that’s probably pretty good Tezza :tu:

I am doing the big purge of all my family paperwork
I keep finding important documents that either say “date as postmark” - so helpful a couple of years down the line

And I’ve just found a formal notice that money has been transferred from account A to account B and account A has so been closed. This document is completely undated, which is annoying, unnecessary as I’m pretty sure it’s computer generated and the one thing all computerised systems do brilliantly is to time stamp things.
The truly annoying thing is that if I knew the date was far enough back I could simply chuck all refererences to account A, but I’m going to have to try and find dates on some of the correspondence and see if it can possibly be useful

:evil: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :evil:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 19th, 2019, 3:11 pm

I'm doing something similar Sue. I am thinking of trying to make it the law that the date appears at the same point of the page on all documents, statements etc. regardless of what they are. I have spent more time today searching up and down pages trying to find the date than anything else, some are so hard to see :evil:.

Off to meet GD and immerse myself in a few hours of fun and games now. It will be a refreshing change!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby jrc » March 19th, 2019, 3:43 pm

Condolences to LTC :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I am sooooooooo excited. Son is coming home for a very brief visit. He lives in South Fremantle and we haven’t seen each other for two years. :(

He is flying over to see his old mum, arriving on the 2nd April and leaving on the 6th April so I will have him here for four nights only. Bl%%%%dy long way to come for four days but I can’t wait to hug him. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
jrc
Registered

Postby jrc » March 19th, 2019, 3:49 pm

Had maiden voyage out first time without sling. Just to pop into town to deliver some documents. Not a good move. Shoulder is objecting. :?
jrc
Registered

Postby aero280 » March 19th, 2019, 6:12 pm

Be careful with that shoulder. When I broke my leg, I was told that it would take 12 weeks to become load bearing. It actually took 20 weeks, and even after that it wouldn't bear loads for long without aching badly. plan on at least a year before it's "fine', maybe two years!! I was 53 years old at the time and the physio told me that "my age was against me" to expect any rapid healing. :o But also he said that some pain was good, because mild stressing of the bone would make it stronger.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Rainbow » March 19th, 2019, 10:57 pm

aero280 wrote:Be careful with that shoulder. When I broke my leg, I was told that it would take 12 weeks to become load bearing. It actually took 20 weeks, and even after that it wouldn't bear loads for long without aching badly. plan on at least a year before it's "fine', maybe two years!! I was 53 years old at the time and the physio told me that "my age was against me" to expect any rapid healing. :o But also he said that some pain was good, because mild stressing of the bone would make it stronger.

I'll second that, Aero. When I badly sprained my ankle about 4 years ago I was at first told it should be OK in 6 weeks. I was still on crutches at that stage and had to cancel a holiday to Vietnam & Cambodia (got a full refund from Insurance :) ). It was about 6 months before I felt confident walking on it and even now it 'twinges' occasionally and I have to be very careful on uneven ground.
So take care and don't rush things :hug:
Rainbow
Registered

Postby Rainbow » March 19th, 2019, 10:58 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Zosh, how can you commit to the kitchen plans before seeing them?

I was thinking exactly the same :shock:
Rainbow
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 20th, 2019, 6:10 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, the dust cloud seems to be disappearing, my sinuses have yet to improve
aero280 wrote: some pain was good, because mild stressing of the bone would make it stronger
That's Physios for you :rolleyes:

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 20th, 2019, 6:50 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
It’s a quiet still morning and apparently it’s already 8C outside. The big magnolia a couple of gardens away looks glorious.
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » March 20th, 2019, 7:48 am

cyprusmoira wrote:aero280 wrote:
some pain was good, because mild stressing of the bone would make it stronger
That's Physios for you

Moira

and he was right. it increases bone density.
scullion
Registered

Postby icelesley » March 20th, 2019, 7:49 am

Good morning wild ones. It has stopped raining at last :bounce: :bounce: it looks quite promising weather wise at the moment :tu: I might have a trip to the garden centre today to see what is on offer.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 20th, 2019, 8:48 am

Morning all! I adore big Magnolias, one of those particularly pleasing springtime things.

So pleased to hear your son will be visiting jrc. Nurture that shoulder!

Finished the filing cabinet yesterday. Today will be the final bit of tidying up and cleaning. If I get into gear it won't take long but I probably won't reach top gear. Going to a talk/demo tonight about what Neolithic people ate. I'll let you know if there are any nice recipes ;).

Have a good day all - looks a bit dull out there (again). We were blessed with warm sunshine at the play park after nursery yesterday, it was lovely.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 20th, 2019, 9:00 am

Good morning
Good news about your son jrc, but slow and steady does it with the shoulder

Well done on the filing cabinet em, I am still going but I expected it to take a long time, I’m slower than average at any task that involves reading and this is the final integration of all my parents paperwork with mine. And in a few months, when I’ve checked up that some of the things are really dead and buried I’ll need to go through again and shred a load more :shock:

Off out soon, have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 20th, 2019, 9:35 am

Morning everyone :wave:

I love magnolias too. I think I mentioned that there is a beauty in a garden on the way to town.

Son and d-i-l are off to Las Vegas tomorrow for a week. I have a sneaking suspicion there might be wedding bells about to chime but he says it's been on their bucket list for years and they have loads of air miles to use. Rathe But to each his/her own.r him than me. There are few places I would like to visit less.

Lokk after the shoulder jrc you want to be in the best form possible when your son comes.

Well done with the filing cabinet em. When we reorganised the library last year I thought it would never end.
Ratatouille
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop